The Body Shop Sales Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

David Boynton
  1. "Good"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at The Body Shop part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good management and good perks

Cons

Working in retail is hard work but not much the company can do about that

The Body Shop2019-07-29
  2. "Great place"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at The Body Shop part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good discount Friendly colleagues Interesting products that are easy to sell

Cons

Length of employment Hours of work

The Body Shop2019-10-18
  3. "Senior Sales Assistant"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Assistant in London, England

I worked at The Body Shop full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good way to start working on your organisational skills

Cons

Other staff members do not take you as much in consideration as a SSA is usually a more senior sales person to them.

Advice to Management

If the more senior management team has a structure you can definitely feel valued, if not, they tend to leave you on the outside to deal with their disorganization.

The Body Shop2017-10-23

"A lovely brand"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at The Body Shop part-time for less than a year

Pros

Lovely brand with fantastic ethics, it was great to feel proud of the brand you're working for. Staff were friendly and kind. You also received 50% off which is a fabulous discount.

Cons

Having to meet targets regarding the loyalty card, was often scolded for not being persistent enough (aka annoying customers) and 6 hour shifts with only 20 minutes break.

The Body Shop2016-07-28

"Absolutely hated it, wouldn't even shop there now."

Sales Assistant in Nottingham, England

I worked at The Body Shop

Pros

Very few, but the incentives were good.

Cons

See below. There are many.

Advice to Management

I worked at the Bridlesmith Gate store in Nottingham and absolutely hated it. I was treated like a disposable nothing by the permanent staff who were already there. Staff of the same level as me would get me to do all their work while they stood around chatting. If I spent even a second talking to another member of staff they'd discipline me even though all they did was chat and mess around. One particular time I... remember shocking me was one of them being asked by a customer to get something from the stock room. She was doing nothing but standing around, but clearly couldn't be bothered to go, so she interrupted a conversation between a temp and a customer to ask if the temp would go, but didn't take over for the temp with the customer, so the customer looked confused and not impressed before leaving. Quite often customers would come up to me and ask me a question, at which point the permanent staff would interrupt by stepping in and answering for me before I've breathed a word, and lead the customer away from me. Completely insulting. They would even gossip and say awful things about the other temps while around customers. I would watch the customers' reactions and they were never impressed and sometimes walked out. They had no respect, it was all incredibly and pathetically unprofessional. The whole experience was upsetting and I've been put off from even shopping there anymore. This was not a situation where I have a problem with authority or that I have a difficult personality - I'm a lovely person! The staff are just simply rude and sometimes very cruel. My advice to anyone considering applying for a job at this particular store is just don't. They may seem friendly and fun at interview stage, but once you're in you'll be leaving work feeling miserable and vulnerable. My advice to The Body Shop's Management is - read the above, it should be clear. Your staff aren't even treating the customers with respect...

The Body Shop2015-03-31

"Stepford Wives"

Sales Assistant

I have been working at The Body Shop

Pros

Some amazing products , very clean on shop floor , some benefits to customers , community fair trade

Cons

Before reading this I would just like to tell you that I have worked for a variety of cosmetic companies and retail positions . This company is beyond comparison as so disappointed with what my expectations of the company were. Robot-like personalities Insincere compliments to staff AND customers ..constantly Money grabbing , highly manipulative selling techniques Like working on commission ...without the... commission rate or benefits No warmth,depth or sincerity with staff from managers/supervisors and other employees High pressure selling and selling techniques Extreme lack of training , more like here's a book..teach yourself "learn and confirm" Inability to take charge on till as you have to ask your manager to put in their codes for nearly everything (exchanges , refunds, open the till for change ) Cut throat targets every single day Immense pressure to maintain high ATV , KPI , LYB's Basically fighting to get on the till with sales in regards to maintaining the above Serious lack of any integrity or humanity , when it comes to a sale pull out all the stops . Constant changes of rosters , with complete disregard for personal life Almost like you're "on call" and made to feel extremely guilty if you say no

Advice to Management

Change policies immediately , or hire people without a shred of humanity in them .

The Body Shop2015-02-16
  7. "Really enjoyable job"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Bristol, England

I have been working at The Body Shop part-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly staff, bright and positive work atmosphere and it's great to have such a small team to work with as it makes everyone closer. Being passionate about what we sell is also important as it's great to know exactly what we are selling. The freebies and discounts are also a massive plus as well as flexible working hours and great management team.

Cons

Get a lot of questions about the company working for L'Oreal and whether our values are kept true to the original Body Shop. We're also complained to a lot about our prices and why we don't do refills anymore. Also why we keep discontinuing products that were customer favourites before.

Advice to Management

Being friendly with your employees makes them happy to work for you. Have had previous experience with a manager that take their personal lives into their work lives and get snappy at the workers. It makes working not so enjoyable.

The Body Shop2014-08-20
  8. "Great experience with a fair-trade company"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Oxford, England

I worked at The Body Shop part-time for less than a year

Pros

They do what they say they do and try to limit the inequality within the business. The upside being that you're part of that company and they do try to treat you well.

Cons

The highly unequal work hours. They expect a weekly rotation where hours and times change with the discretion of senior members of staff, making it difficult to have a 'normal' life outside work

The Body Shop2014-07-19
  9. "sales assistant"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Bristol, England

I worked at The Body Shop part-time for more than a year

Pros

supports fair trade communities, and makes customers aware of it. flexible working hours. great discount. a mix of ages and personalities working there, all with a passion for natural, fair trade products, healthy lifestyle and environment.

Cons

the pay is quite low for the product knowledge and demonstration expectations that would be exactly the same expectation for say..creme de la mer.

Advice to Management

offer more benefits and bonus for employees

The Body Shop2014-06-10
  10. "So good"

Current Contractor - Christmas Casual/Sales Assistant

I have been working at The Body Shop

Pros

People are so friendly

Cons

On your feet for entire shift

The Body Shop2019-11-24