The Body Shop Sales Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

David Boynton
  1. "Sales Consultant"

Sales Consultant in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at The Body Shop for more than 3 years

Pros

discount, great commission rates, free products, flexibility

Cons

none at all, best move ive made

Advice to Management

be organised and keep building your teams

The Body Shop2015-11-09
  2. "Never work here!"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Loughton, South East England, England

I worked at The Body Shop part-time for less than a year

Pros

50% staff discount Good pay Free products (including 5 of your choice when you start, incentives and new upcoming products)

Cons

Unclear communication (I would be asked to do one task and whilst halfway through doing it I would be asked to do something else) Unreasonable expectations (I was told to ‘focus on customers’ when there were no customers in the store to focus on. I was also called at 10am on my day off to cover a shift on the other side of London starting at 11am) Disorganised & chaotic environment In the store I worked in the... assistant manager was a bully and the manager did not deal with any concerns I raised nor did she ever discipline the assistant manager. The manager rejected my noticed and I ended up having to call HR.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees concerns & bullying should never be tolerated at work. As the manager if your assistant manager is a bully & you are enabling this kind of behaviour you are just as bad.

The Body Shop2018-04-21
  3. "Great team, poor contract hours"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at The Body Shop part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

50% off staff discount, chance to earn incentives, a decent amount of training. Great team. From experience in covering other stores, I found skin-care experts to be very showy, I was lucky my team were great!!

Cons

Confusion for customers with offers, or too many promotions, and getting yelled at because such and such isn't on discount, or this is misleading. Contract hours and payroll is crap. To part-timers, rota shifts were appalling, and not enough flexibility, as I never knew which day I was in, as it was always changing.

Advice to Management

Get rid of excluded items, or at least make your offers clear so employees don't get yelled at all the time.

The Body Shop2017-11-14
  4. "Senior sales consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant

I worked at The Body Shop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lovely company with great staff

Cons

Lack of basic training given meaning some had to work a lot harder than others to make up for their team. Lack of understanding from head of company and head office on how a shop floor really works and what customers want.

Advice to Management

Everyone in head office and management go through a placement program to go and work in different types of stores and realize targets are unrealistic for many small stores and no everyone is able to perform like oxford street etc. Update your american style customer service training it does not work for brits!!

The Body Shop2017-08-23

"An Alright company to work for"

I have been working at The Body Shop

Pros

Ok but unrealistic expectations given from top of company as to targets / customer willingness to spend making it a frustrating job Good ethical marketing - raises awareness , lots of new products , events etc , a brand trying to expand and become popular again .

Cons

Ethical is not what it used to be - much more business orientated and lots of double standards / misleading information - feels a bit wrong Company expects far too much to be achieved for how popular , and type of customers that come in. They expect customers to pay a large amount for non high end products - expect treat the brand as if it's Luxe but products don't live up to this. Overpriced products to sell... with not that much going for them

The Body Shop2016-06-19
  6. "key holder sales consultant"

Former Employee - Keyholding Sales Consultant in Gateshead, England

I worked at The Body Shop full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

in house training working with the public and community values, high standard of customer service

Cons

shift work, targets set to high

Advice to Management

have more one to one contact with the sales consultants with regards of how the shop is being run by the management

The Body Shop2016-03-01

"Good employers"

I worked at The Body Shop for more than 3 years

Pros

the job is very satisfying especially if beauty and skin care are your thing. I loved the community trade story that all products have and the amazing independence it brings to some countries finances

Cons

when i worked there is observed a lot of staffing issues and also experience poor management. customers complain on prices been to expensive. also the targets at time were to too high.

Advice to Management

continue to appreciate your staff, incentives really do motivate so a body butter on reach targets gives staff a boost and a smile id pushing promotions.

The Body Shop2016-02-01
  8. "Pleasant!"

Sales Consultant in Coventry, England

I worked at The Body Shop

Pros

It was amazing to advice people on beauty products, as many of them really did listen to every step on how to use a product, and some became regular customers. The staff are lovely, and the working environment is very calm, with everything normally being under control.

Cons

Talking for hours and hours, perhaps about the same product can be very exhausting. Usually around Christmas, having to stock up the shelves was a nightmare as the products would be sold very frequently and we would have to keep the shelves somewhat full. One big problem with our branch was not enough staff members, especially at the busiest times!

Advice to Management

If a store does not have enough staff members, it can get very very difficult and demotivating for us to work for long hours. With only two staff members working on some days, we could not have our full time breaks as we would be needed on the shop floor.

The Body Shop2015-10-05

"learn on the job"

Senior Sales Consultant in Leeds, England

I have been working at The Body Shop

Pros

Nice team of people to work with. 5 free make up products and 3 top ups a year. 50 % off staff purchases and 50% saving off purchases from The L'oreal staff online store Company Life Insurance.

Cons

The company seem very short staffed in some stores, Managers are feeling pressured which is having an effect on team moral. The higher up the management level you get the more difficult it is to take your holidays. The company is very slow when it comes to recruitment. There fore your expected to travel to other stores where they are low staffed. Hence you can be adding another 3 hours in travel to your day.

Advice to Management

faster recruitment is needed, Have faith in your employees and promote them to the next stage of management. Work on getting stores close together to work with each other during times of staff shortages.

The Body Shop2015-09-17

"The Body Shop Employee"

I have been working at The Body Shop

Pros

'My Perks' which gives you benefits such as life insurance, 'LOVE' money that you can use for gym memberships or a massage or many other things for your wellbeing, upto 60% off L'Oreal and companies owned by L'Oreal, 50% off Body Shop products in store, if you achieve above your monthly sales target you can get upto £40 worth free bonus or 25% pay bonus for managers. In general my colleagues are very supportive and... we get along very well, as a whole we are treated well by the company and the wage is above minimum even for part-time sales advisors.

Cons

There can be too much pressure for individual employees to achieve certain targets such as an 'average transaction value' especially when you have tried everything, some days customers just do not want to spend as much money and you can't force them. Generally is an excellent company to work for but occasionally managers, regional managers etc. can lose touch with what it is like at the bottom of the ladder and they... have to realise that a lot of the time it is just as hard work dealing with customers daily and new promotions, offers, and constant training and paper work to do.

Advice to Management

Management should not lose touch with what it is like working at the bottom of the ladder and having to achieve certain sales targets consistently without coming across as forceful to customers. There is a lot to remember working at the Body Shop and although employees are generally appreciated and recognised for their work, there are some managers who have lost touch with working on the shop floor.

The Body Shop2015-08-03