The Body Shop Senior Customer Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

The Body Shop CEO David Boynton
David Boynton
  1. "Excellent Company!"

I have been working at The Body Shop part-time

Pros

It's a really friendly atmosphere, the people are all lovely, most of the customers are too. The 50% discount is great and you also get a L'Oreal online staff shop plus lots of free products! There's also quite a few opportunities to progress and move around the company. I always felt the company was very genuine and honest, I am very proud when I tell customers about the ethics and the charity work they do.

Cons

Some of the training could be a little better. There's a LOT of targets, I think I was lucky because my manager was quite realistic and not too pushy but there is sometimes a lot of pressure to meet unachievable targets. Some of the sales pitch ideas are a little forced (eg. If a customer is looking at skincare they like you to approach that customer with the best selling skincare product and just start telling them... about it, regardless as to whether they were looking at it or whether it's even for them). There's a lot of exceptions to offers and complicated technicalities which can be annoying too. In my store there was a little overtime but all the staff were keen for more work, which is a shame because it just wasn't in the budget. I've also had to work alone for the first hour and a half in the morning quite a lot which I don't really like.

Advice to Management

Too many exceptions to offers! It's embarrassing to explain to customers that none of the things they want are in the '40% off everything' offer! A little less pressure with the targets and perhaps reevaluate whether they are realistic. Decide whether you want to be a premium brand or a high street brand, I feel like sometimes it's unclear. Update the in store training guides! Spend the extra money and cut out lone... working.

The Body Shop2016-08-23
  2. "Former Senior Customer Consultant"

Senior Customer Consultant

I worked at The Body Shop for less than a year

Pros

- A lot of freebies - Had very good discount previously (especially when it was under L'oreal) - Overall friendly environment to work in - I had very decent management - Decent pay per hour for a retail store

Cons

- Too much staff, too little hours for shifts, only the manager and assistant manager was full time - Not enough training especially with make overs, had to do with what you knew - Had to monitor what I was paid as I was frequently paid less - Had to open on your own frequently with was very dangerous at times

Advice to Management

- Cut down staff and give out longer hours to exsisting staff, this will cut your staff turnover - More training especially with makeovers - More opportunities for staff to get promoted

The Body Shop2018-05-17

"Horrible, high turnover and no stability"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Consultant in London, England

I worked at The Body Shop part-time for less than a year

Pros

50% discount on products and discounts on some other Loreal owned products. free products

Cons

I worked there because I honestly had an interest in what the company stood for but it was all focused around sales and pushing thing on people. Its fine as its a sales job too but you were basically punish for not making end of day sales, for example if by 7pm you had not made the days target and you had less than £50 to meet it we would literally have to stay open till we did, most of the time this was until way... past 8 as theres fewer customers. You then had to close up and clean up (cashing up, hoovering, product replenishment etc) it would be almost 9, however bear in mind we only got paid until 7pm. Now closing the store wouldn’t be so bad if you do it quick enough but unfortunately during my time there everyone kept leaving which meant pretty much every week we had new staff who needed to be trained so it was never smooth flowing. I started working as a customer assistant, so they only offered 8 hours, if you’re a student and only want 8 hours and are very flexible then great, but if you need more hours its not gonna happen unless its xmas period or the occasional overtime , the company sticks to 8 hours contracts and does not change it. Another thing is that come winter or sun you WILL have to stand outside the store for HOURS on end offering customers to try certain products etc, if you work in a very busy store it might not be the case. However in my store there was lots of periods when it was quiet to as a customer assistant it was your job to stand outside, It would be freezing and they give you a red coat to supposedly keep you warm but you can’t wear boots or any conformable shoes so your feet are freezing. Then in the summer the sun is right in your face where you can even look at customers but you’re expected to stay there again for hours!. The management team of course did not do that part of the job so it was just the customer assistants. They measure your sales targets and how many loyalty cards you’ve sign people on and get mad if you don’t do well enough. Im not exaggerating when I say that you had to learn loads and loads on existing products and overtime they launched a new product, you had to reads pages on the products and memorise and then use the information to sell the products which to me was fun but the amount of information on so many products they expect you to know its like an actual professional but without the professional pay. They got mad if you did not wear make up, if you had you nails plain. I then became a senior customer consultant but only after practically begging them to give me chance because every senior consultant that came left after a WEEK or 2! I was the only one who stayed and they would hire girls who would leave straight away, causing a chaos for closing times and as the one with most experience they would make me do closing shifts to help out. It was a struggle to get promoted considering I had shown commitment, I came in whenever they needed someone last minute, offered to work bank holidays and pretty much every weekend. I loved been a senior customer consultant and loved helping the customer however it was getting very annoying that they only offered 12 hour contract for senior service consultant, I would love to have worked full time but they only offer that in a few stores so I wanted to move but my manager always kept putting it off saying I needed to complete a certain amount of time in our store as SCC before applying for a different store for the same position! Furthermore because a lot of the new staff kept leaving I was constantly left with new girls to do all the training, which happened mostly in the evenings so I was the one working until 9 pm but only getting paid till 7. The companies hight turnover was too much, it was hard to build a team. The last straw for me was that as it was only 12 hour contract I had to find another job which took me away 2 days a week and offered The Body all my flexibility for the other 5 days (keep in mind that shifts are only 4 hours at a time!) they were always complaining that my role required me to be FULLY flexible , the other job had set days and hours so the knew exactly what days I worked, but they kept complaining they MIGHT need me and I need to show im fully flexible. It was a total joke, they wanted so much flexibility of me for 12 hours! In the end i had to leave not because financially it made no sense, I actually did enjoy my job genuinely helping the customers and learning about new products but the way the company does things was too chaotic. Also my manager would lose it so bad at points where she would scream and some staff so loud you could hear in the shop floor from the office. This amongst other things cause our assistant manager to leave the company as well and it was such a shame because she worked so hard but was badly treated by the company and manager

Advice to Management

Im sure the store managers is under high pressure too, but the company needs to invest more in those workers who actually want to stay and work more hours! no-one unless its an student who need 8 hours of work is going to stay forever.

The Body Shop2017-01-26

"good benefits"

Former Employee - Senior Customer Consultant in London, England

I worked at The Body Shop full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really enjoyed working here, loved the products i was selling so that helps alot. 50% staff discount and an online loreal website where so much stuff was cheap just for loreal staff.

Cons

They do push you alot in the way you sell to customers. sometimes felt awkward having to put items in customers baskets, felt like i was making them buy it.

The Body Shop2016-10-21

"Good company, lots of pressure"

I have been working at The Body Shop part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits Good products Good training and career opportunities

Cons

Inequalities between stores Sometimes unrealistic targets

Advice to Management

Consider looking at the in-store promotions you make available to 02 priority customers and other companies with body shop discounts and freebies, sometimes these severely affect store ATV and personal targets as customers only come into the store for these free items and don't want anything else no matter what you offer to them.

The Body Shop2016-08-30
  6. "Senior customer consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Consultant in Epsom, England

I have been working at The Body Shop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefit schemes and discounts. Easy progression within the company

Cons

Pay! Lots if work for little pay, one of the worst

Advice to Management

To be more appreciative of your staff and acknowledge when they do something

The Body Shop2016-08-23
  7. "Under a big but positive change"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Consultant in Manchester, England

I have been working at The Body Shop part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Have an amazing management team -Great training, sent to train in London & Leeds multiple times -New starter training is now great for the Senior Sales role, covers everything you need especially if its first senior role -The ethics of the company are fab -Discount on L'Oreal brands -Flexible working schedule -Great Atmosphere to work in

Cons

-My store is amazing but having experienced other stores it appears some can be quite poor environments to work in e.g. high pressure, low morale -Could be more understanding of students and giving too many hours

The Body Shop2016-02-01
  8. "Senior Customer Consultant"

I have been working at The Body Shop part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very generous and positive company, customers are generally nice, products are good quality and overall reasonably priced, often gifted free ones, generous staff discount and other great perks, pay is very reasonable as well.

Cons

Training in some areas could be better (e.g. make up application), too many offers on products - can be confusing for both staff and customer! Occasionally required to work alone which isn't ideal.

Advice to Management

More make up training and it should be done soon after the role is filled.

The Body Shop2016-02-01