The Body Shop Store Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 16 Jan 2020

4.2
The Body Shop CEO David Boynton
David Boynton
  1. "Amazing benefits and relaxed environment"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Watford, East of England, England

I worked at The Body Shop full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits and pay package

Cons

I left because I wasn't engaged, perfect job for someone who wants to coast but I strive under pressure.

The Body Shop2019-11-05
  2. "Very Cliquey atmosphere"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Southampton, England

I worked at The Body Shop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Product training and bonuses

Cons

Very Cliquey atmosphere, not supported by senior management

The Body Shop2020-01-01
  3. "A brand that looks after you"

I have been working at The Body Shop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Training and investment into staff Great benefits: free products, cash bonus, and wellbeing bonuses

Cons

Can often be very reactive rather than proactive

The Body Shop2019-11-16
  4. "Great benefits and focus on employee welfare!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in London, England

I have been working at The Body Shop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Generous benefits - 3 free volunteering days each year - strong focus on Well Being & Mental Health initiatives - Fun atmosphere

Cons

- Can be long hours but the pros outweigh this!

The Body Shop2019-10-03
  5. "Great place to work"

I have been working at The Body Shop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing benefits such as wellbeing care, bonuses, free products, fab maternity etc

Cons

Pay could be better

The Body Shop2019-10-02
  6. "Brilliant"

I have been working at The Body Shop full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

People based, challenging, fun, amazing benefits

Cons

Working hours and work life balance

The Body Shop2019-06-06

"Enrich not Exploit?"

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at The Body Shop full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Generous benefits package. Good products, loads of training and development. Smaller pools/ team are very supportive almost family like.

Cons

No stability , managers/ assistant managers and team leaders are moved around and shoved into roles they are not capable of! The business has a huge focus on Enrich and Not Exploit, however they are more than happy to exploit their team members on a regular basis. The Senior leadership team are bullies , they have no self awareness and are happy to exhaust their team but offer very little support in return. This is the sort of business that believes its above providing a duty of care to its team. A real culture of SLT dont get their hands dirty , just point the finger and bark.

Advice to Management

There is little point offering advice as the problem starts from the very top! During my employment i watched many wonderfully supportive and kind SLT members turn into monsters.

The Body Shop2019-01-27

"Started off feeling really cared for and then the cracks started to show."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Rugby, England

I have been working at The Body Shop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Quick progression, faced-paced, ethical, positive

Cons

High pressure, unorganised, last minute

Advice to Management

Don’t allow yourself to be used just to help “the needs of the business”

The Body Shop2018-12-29

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Leeds, England

I have been working at The Body Shop full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Discount of 50% (although frustratingly customers are entitled to 40% off nearly constantly so not exactly much of a perk) Store enviroment - friendly and sociable, targets set daily and there's always something to be doing so you're never clock-watching Regional Managers - I can't speak for every region but the 2 managers I've met and worked closely with both bring energy to their role and I have learned a lot about my own managment style. Although sometimes hard to reach they've both been extremely helpful when I've needed support.

Cons

- approach to selling. No matter how you dress it up or how you train your team and yourself to think you are helping the customer with your advice.. you ARE selling. I feel awful for customers who (like myself when shopping) simply ENJOY browsing. Not all customers want engagement.. however our stores are set up so that no customer is ever left alone. Having to trot on over to introduce a new product is all well and good but not everybody wants intense 'sit down' based service and I feel it's unfair to pressure store teams into having to deliver this service to every person that walks into the store. -lease lining. LISTEN to your staff for heaven's sake. They DO NOT enjoy it. At best...some don't mind it, at worst some find it embarrasing and intimidating. I feel awful having to send my team out, although I happily do my fair share. Despite promoting self esteem as one of our original values we put a lot of emphasis on a selling technique that maybe sells us an extra £15 body butter at the expense of staff member feeling literally pushed out and embarassed. It's simply not worth it. - Offers. I won't say more than what I've heard hundreds of customers say to me... ''Oh I'll wait till next month when it's on offer, you'd be stupid to pay full price for anything at the Body Shop.'' silly idea alert - LOWER OUR PRICES and CUT OFFERS DOWN? - Meet company targets OR go on a performance helping plan and risk losing your job.

Advice to Management

Have a word with yourselves body shop ... you're paying national living wage. Why are your expectations so high? Take the pressure and intensity of selling away and your stores would likely do just as well (after all the staff are all friendly and helpful anyway)- they would offer the same service with or without the pressure but likely be a lot more happy at work without it.... Lower prices permenently and go back to our roots - diverse and good quality products the excite and engage our customers. Stop the constant collating, calls. emails and checkins with your store management teams. I work at least 6 hours unpaid hours per week, rarely take lunches and am on my feet about 90% of my working day. We should be spending more time with our store teams and less time in the office emailing 'feedback' on them - here's something shocking retail is retail. Your good days and bad days aren't to do with any changing behaviours in the team, it is what it is - I've had days where we've hit targets without trying too hard and days where we've been devastated with results despite trying our best for the whole shift. Stop penalising your store teams when there are staff working in Tesco and Asda being paid the same amount to work the stockrooms with their Ipod in and have a laugh on the shop floor. Lastly, if anyone is reading this from the company, this isn't a mere rant I am genuinely hoping some of these issues are being addressed as I've scrolled through other reviews on here raising similar concerns. Also I've discussed these issues with other employees current and past and I'm here voicing what many people have shared with me. Start listening to your employees. Stop piling on the pressure year after year and just dressing targets up with different corporate jargon. Continue to deliver the excellent training and products for us to bring our brand to our customers in store.

The Body Shop2017-06-25

"THE WORST COMPANY EVER TO HAVE WORKED FOR"

Store Manager in Fareham, England

I worked at The Body Shop

Pros

Apart from meeting some great people (customers) and my team, there are NO pros to working for this bullying , unfair, unjust company.

Cons

Unfair, bullying , out to please only the highest management, area managers that I came into contact with are idle and liars. The HR department need to learn the laws within HR and start treating people as people not just a number and they also bend all the rules to suit themselves, if your face don't fit then they will get together to push you out.

Advice to Management

All management at head office need to be retrained and half of them including HR needs to be disaplined as I know personally of some very wrong doings , infact the company is a disgrace the way it is run.

The Body Shop2017-06-13