The Body Shop "part time" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

The Body Shop Employee Reviews about "part time"

Updated 7 Oct 2019

3.6
The Body Shop CEO David Boynton
David Boynton
Pros
  • "great products and ethics/values of company(in 93 reviews)

• "free products when you start and this can renew 3 times a year(in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sometimes disorganized, communication from upper management not always consistent(in 50 reviews)

• "part time role yet feels full time as they want you to be flexible and available all the time but you don’t get full time hours(in 36 reviews)

Reviews about "part time"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Best job"

I have been working at The Body Shop part-time

Pros

Wonderful colleagues, training, environment and experience

Cons

I am only part time

The Body Shop2019-03-31

"Starts fun but gets repetitive"

Former Employee - Customer Consultant

I worked at The Body Shop part-time for more than a year

Pros

- easy to pick up key skills that are important in the workplace in general - free products and 50% discount

Cons

- Extremely repetitive - part time role yet feels full time as they want you to be flexible and available all the time but you don’t get full time hours - All other roles get cash bonuses, but customer Consultants just get product even though they’re the ones on the shop floor selling product and hitting targets - not much room for progression

The Body Shop2019-07-17

"Expect too much from a Part Time role"

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Chelmsford, England

I worked at The Body Shop part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Nice people to work with - 5 items of make up free when you join the company and per year - Training encouraged

Cons

- I was on a part time 8 hour a week contract from when I was 16 years old and at school and far too much was expected. All focused on making sales and I felt guilty if we hadn't hit targets.

The Body Shop2017-09-10
  4. "Pros and Cons"

I worked at The Body Shop

Pros

- The Body Shop's ethics are really good (enrich not exploit, no animal testing) - Employee discount - Good products - Good pay (especially for under 18s)

Cons

- I was a part-time member of staff on an 8 hour contract, however I was constantly asked to work overtime despite being a full-time student - Staff have to be VERY knowledgeable about the products and there is a lot of pressure to know all of the ingredients, benefits, which person will benefit from each product etc. - Pressure to achieve targets - A lot of time has to be spent doing role play and there is a... lot of pressure to sell products

The Body Shop2017-04-22

"A bad experience"

Former Employee - Senior Sales in Manchester, England

I worked at The Body Shop part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good staff perks for discount etc. And the product quality is excellent. The company is also against animal cruelty which is great.

Cons

You are expected to go above and beyond and you get little to no recognition, the managers spend all their time in the office and you are expected to be free all the time even if your on a part time contract. The job turn over at the store I worked in was huge (alarm bells!) avoid.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff with some respect and reward them - other wise you will lose hard working employees.

The Body Shop2016-03-21

"Great colleagues, Appalling Pay roll."

I worked at The Body Shop part-time

Pros

You will work with great people and meet friends in your region. The free products and product testers you get are great swell as the staff discount! The in store events are fun and the products are such a good quality and fabulous to work with.

Cons

Every month for the whole 2 years I was there I was underpaid by a lot of money. I am still owed money and they don't seem to care about underpaying their staff. As pretty much everyone who is part time or not on a yearly salary (management only) is underpaid and it seems the body shop simply don't care. Never an apology and never anyone at head office to talk to.. only your manager can do this and they have 1000... other things to be doing.

Advice to Management

Sort out your payroll department and don't put staff on an 8 hr contract and expect them to be fully flexible.

The Body Shop2015-06-15
  7. "Low Wages/ High Expectations"

Former Employee - Key Holder in Long Beach, CA

I worked at The Body Shop part-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome customers Decent discounts

Cons

I worked here part-time for roughly 2 years and they all but demanded I make them a full-time priority. Even after expressing that I needed a second job to pay bills, management essentially pressured me into quitting instead of allowing me 2 weekdays and a Friday off so that I had something reasonable to offer a potential second employer. Outside of that, management set unreasonable expectation on the store based on... assumptions and not the facts that the employees tried to provide.

Advice to Management

Stop forgetting you hire real people, not robots without emotions or needs. Realize that your employees see the truth beyond the beauty and your reputation depends on making your employees comfortable and understanding that not all stores are cookie cutter.

The Body Shop2019-10-07

"Don't do it"

I worked at The Body Shop full-time for more than a year

Pros

Gratis- which they no longer do

Cons

With being the self proclaimed "the original ethical beauty brand", they are the most unethically company I have ever worked for. They will give you promises to keep u going and they never hold to their end. They don't communicate with the teams effectively. They ask you to go above and beyond for them without any compensation or acknowledgement. They don't promote from within as they state. They will hire outside... the company and then ask you to train the person in their position that they told you you were not qualified for. Don't work there unless you are looking for a part time 15 hours a week.

Advice to Management

Do the company a favor and walk away.

The Body Shop2017-08-14
  9. "Sales"

I have been working at The Body Shop part-time

Pros

- Nice coworkers - Pretty easy job - Flexible schedules - 50% discount - Free products sometimes (5 pieces of makeup when you start & new products) - Good if you are interested in beauty/skincare/etc - Can be fun depending on coworkers - Great ethics and values even though they can get lost by upper management - Minimum wage is fine for what you do

Cons

- Management is pretty terrible - Upper management told us not to file complaints because they wouldn't get anywhere or "get lost" - They treat employees pretty bad but act nice so no one says anything - Management is lazy and doesn't do their job - Any complaints about manager (they leave early, don't do work, treat assistant managers/team leads badly, etc, gets ignored and covered up by upper management) -... Don't have a good chance to move up, its a part time job; not a career

Advice to Management

Stop being so sleazy. Your employees are what keep your sales and company going, have a bit more respect for them. Don't tell us not to report complaints and threaten they will get lost and ignored - it's illegal anyway.

The Body Shop2017-04-19
  10. "Mediocre Job, Mediocre Company"

Current Employee - Customer Consultant

I have been working at The Body Shop part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great job if you work only seasonally, part-time - An okay discount

Cons

- Pay is very poor, you will make minimum wage the entire time you work there. I have been working with the same store for almost two years and the only thing I have received is a plastic company pin - no raise, no bonus - High expectations for low rewards. Even part-time employees are expected to have extensive knowledge and are expected to meet sales goals and objective. This is despite the fact that there is no... commission, no rewards for accomplishments, and no opportunity for growth in the company. - Management prefers to hire externally as opposed to promote internally. I have seen many great employees be told they would be promoted only to find out later that management hired an outside employee instead.

Advice to Management

Improve pay and create incentive (offering a trinket for a job well done does NOT count). While you preach about enriching everything, consider enriching your own employees.

The Body Shop2017-01-25