The Challenge Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 20 January 2019

4.1
Oliver Lee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Get to work with and meet like-minded people who are incredibly passionate about working with young people" (in 26 reviews)

• "The work environment at The Challenge is one of the most supportive I have ever experienced" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "the approach might sometimes be pushy to young people" (in 16 reviews)

• "Long hours if you work in programmes - a bit better in central support functions (though not much better)" (in 13 reviews)

1. "A special organisation and in general a great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at The Challenge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- A committed and mission-driven workforce.
    - A charity which is ambitious about the change it can achieve and enterprising in its pursuit of opportunities for growth.
    - An organisation which is very good at identifying and developing talent, and is most often genuinely meritocratic.
    - A fun and friendly workplace atmosphere, reflecting a real sense of organisational character.
    - An important mission, with a CEO who puts achieving missional impact first.

Cons

- Arguably overshot the mark in recent years in seeking to ensure that the senior leadership team possessed the experience required to run an organisation of this size as well as passion for and understanding of its mission. The extent to which this is true tends to be overstated by a young and inexperienced workforce, but upcoming senior staff changes will nonetheless offer an opportunity to make a slight course correct and strike the right balance in this regard.
    - Whilst The Challenge is for the most part genuinely very loyal to and supportive of its employees, it also has blind spots. This is doubtless true of all organisations, but particularly given the organisation's ethos it has been dissapointing to watch it toss aside or marginalise some of its most promising and committed emerging leaders seemingly as a result of personality clashes. These incidents were few and far between, but speak to the importance of recruiting a senior leadership team which values a diverse range of opinions, perspectives and skillsets (as the CEO undoubtedly does.)

2. "They do try their best, but lack adequate human resources at times"

Pros

Attracts very nice, interesting and often diverse people to work with. The seasonal roles they offer are fun and diverse and I would recommend anyone looking for extra money over summer/autumn. I have worked two different roles over two summers

Cons

They lack adequate numbers of management/core staff for summer programmes, often resulting in people lower down in the hierarchy being left to do more than their fair share or left without assistance. As a company that primarily operates summer/seasonal roles with new staff each year, this can be an issue in terms of maintaining standards.

3. "Great organisation"

I have been working at The Challenge full-time

Pros

Full of people who are passionate about making a difference in society

Cons

Office facilities could be better

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the mission and values

4. "The Challenge is an organisation I am proud to work for."

Current Employee - DELIVERY PARTNER MANAGER in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - DELIVERY PARTNER MANAGER in Leeds, England

I have been working at The Challenge full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The vision of the Challenge is a more integrated society where there is understanding and appreciation of each other’s differences, which is at the heart of my values and increasingly needed to address the issues we face in society. The vision and mission is at the heart of all activities undertaken by the organisation, creating highly motivating and satisfying jobs.

I have worked for The Challenge for over six years in a variety of roles and found all to be working towards the mission. The Challenge is very supportive of employees development and performance which has enabled me to develop and progress during my employment with them.

Second to the mission for me is the culture of the organisation, I have never worked anywhere else where all the employees are passionate and motivated to do their best to achieve the mission. Likewise, there are few organisations that offer such high quality levels of holistic support for their staff.

There is a wide variety of roles within the organisation and the option to progress offering employees a career path if they wish.

Cons

The programmes The Challenge deliver require high performing staff members that are dedicated, if you're looking for a minimum effort nine to five job, then The Challenge may not be for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the mission at the heart of the organisation and the great changes taking place to support employees mental health and disabilities.

5. "Ambitious charity having an impact on lots of young people"

I worked at The Challenge full-time

Pros

Charity doing great work and having an impact on seriously high numbers of young people across the country.

Colleagues are friendly and supportive, and it is a fun, young-ish workforce, especially in some departments.

Management is supportive, appreciative of effort, and understanding of mistakes. There are high expectations, but there isn’t any sort of blame culture etc. There are some good organisational benefits for a charity, particularly around health insurance, and there’s been some good work for employees on things like raising awareness of mental health.

It’s a v large charity, so there’s lots of possible other departments/roles to move into after you’ve been there for a bit. It has offices across England, so it’s also good if you’re thinking you’d like to move somewhere else in the future.

Cons

Fast-paced atmosphere can be demanding, and at particular times workload is high.

As with lots of charities, the offices aren’t too flashy (depending on which office youre in) and money is spent carefully.

The pay is what you’d expect for the sector, so if you want to be a millionaire look elsewhere!

6. "Organisation making a real impact"

I have been working at The Challenge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission is at the centre of all activities.
    The staff and management are fantastic and committed to the cause.
    Simultaneously a relaxed but hard working environment.
    Fun.
    Great variety of people from all backgrounds. Mostly young.
    Great development opportunities.

Cons

None, unless you are adverse to working hard and to a high standard.

Advice to Management

Need some older people with experience.

7. "Best place I've worked"

I have been working at The Challenge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at TCN for over 3 years. In my time I believe the culture has continued to improve, with additional focus on a high performance ethos and clear behaviour sets geared for success. I couldn't imagine being anywhere else for now

Cons

It's a young company so setting up young staff to appreciate how good it is when for many it's a first job.

Advice to Management

Continue to stick to convictions of a high performance culture

8. "A great place to work."

I have been working at The Challenge full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great culture with people striving hard to make a change.
    - Leadership who care about the people and development.
    - Excellent understanding of social integration and how to improve this in the UK.

Cons

No major cons other than tough government contracts, however this is how the organisation is able to achieve its mission.

9. "THOUGHTS"

I have been working at The Challenge full-time

Pros

An excellent organisation that is very good to work for. It is working hard to do its best in a very challenging environment.

Cons

None of note, other than to keep pushing ahead.

10. "Delivery Recruitment Associate"

I worked at The Challenge full-time

Pros

Really good pay and relaxed work environment.

Cons

No progression really available but good for a first job after graduating,