The Chemistry Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

4.5
Roger Philby

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Stretching, empowering and great place to work"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in London, England
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in London, England

I have been working at The Chemistry Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast learning. Fast responsibility. Encouraged learning. You can talk to anyone. You're given very clear feedback on where you need to be, and how you can get there. Everyone wants to help you get there. It is difficult to get there. Never been in an environment where people enjoy working as hard. Fun. Inspiring. You lead your own direction.

Cons

If you don't like working late, or hours eating into yours, it may not be for you. It doesn't happen to me often, but it does every now and again; and i often think about work at home. I don't mind that, and in fact think it's important to remain sane (I don't buy the idea of trying to get away from work, why would you work there if you don't enjoy it?).

Advice to Management

Focus on solid process as we expand, to ensure the culture remains as productive.

"Pretty lame interview process"

I worked at The Chemistry Group full-time

Pros

Motivation and value based questionnaires were fun to fill

Cons

If the idea to is allow people to be brilliant at what they do, the interview process needs to be catered to the role, the seniority level , cultural , ability based. At chemistry group it is one-size-fits-all questionnaire and process. Pretty under-whelming

Advice to Management

Take a deeper look at your differentiation

"The Opportunity to be Brillant..."

Current Employee - Client Manager (Sales Team) in London, England
    Current Employee - Client Manager (Sales Team) in London, England

I have been working at The Chemistry Group full-time

Pros

From the moment you meet anyone working at Chemistry you know there is something special happening there... No matter what team, whether it be Product, Consulting, Sales, Tech or Lab -everyone is highly engaged and loves coming to work. Chemistry really live and breath their values of Passion, Bravery and Human. The simple ethos is that they want to give everyone the opportunity to be brillant at work...

Cons

It can be daunting when you first start when seeing all the incredible minds at work, but don't worry - their academy will get you up and running in no time.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, and don't lose your culture / dynamic it's your DNA!

5. "A unique working environment"

Current Employee - Business Psychologist
    Current Employee - Business Psychologist

I have been working at The Chemistry Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Firstly, the recruitment process was quick and painless. Chemistry is a unique, exciting place to work with real development opportunities. Chemistry takes great care of their staff, and in so doing, gets the best out of them. It's an intense place to work at times and the learning curve is steep.
    The main pro is Chemistry's people. They are a seriously talented and hardworking bunch.

Cons

It's an intense place to work, the intensity and fast pace makes for a culture that isn't for everybody. There is a lot of ambiguity to the work at times so it's necessary to be comfortable thinking on your feet.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - inspiring and exciting your staff by keeping everybody up to date on the business and on where we're going as a company, and I love that the leadership team is so accessible.

"An Incredible Place To Work!"

Current Employee - Business Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Business Manager in London, England

I have been working at The Chemistry Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Chemistry Group believe that everyone should have an opportunity to be brilliant at work. I've been at Chemistry for just over 2 months and can honestly say it's true.

Chemistry is an incredible, fast growing, motivated, enjoyable and unique place to work. It's three values; Passionate, Brave and Human are decorated on the walls and is at the core of everything they do.

What we enable our clients to achieve, we achieve internally too, by hiring ambitious, driven and awesome talent and allowing them the space, flexibility and growth opportunities, to do great things.

I've never worked for a company where the friendly, social and welcoming culture is so prominent and purposeful every day.

Cons

I had previously worked for Corporate businesses in London, which I loved, and so it took me a few weeks to adapt to Chemistry's less structured, more autonomous and more collaborative culture and work style. But now I'm here and have become part of the Chemistry Team, there's no way I'm going back!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing in terms of spending time with the team, keeping them updated with everything that goes on in the business on a weekly basis. The openness, visibility and inclusion you provide is so valuable.

"Exhilarating, exhausting & by far the best years of my career so far!"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England

I have been working at The Chemistry Group (More than 5 years)

Pros

The energy at Chemistry is simply electric. Having seen the company grow from 12 people to 60+ in such a short space of time, it has the energy and excitement of a start-up, with the credibility and reputation of a massive, global business.

I left my previous job because they had a very traditional view of people. Experience-based recruitment, development and succession planning meant they restricted talent rather than elevating people based on their natural strengths. Chemistry recongises where your value lies, nurtures that value and actively encourages you to go outside your comfort zone - and aim big!

Things I love:

We are optimists - where there are curveballs, we look for solutions.
    We challenge - no matter what role you are in, there is an expectation you will have an opinion
    We work fast, but thoroughly - I am still amazed at how much we can achieve in such little time, with the incredible client results we have. It's whirlwind!
    We are purpose led - probably the best thing about Chemistry - we genuinely link everything we do back to our intent as a business, which is about giving everyone in the world the opportunity to be brilliant. I hear this phrase at least once a day and have done for the last 6 years.

Cons

All the things above could be cons if that type of work or environment isn't for you. The learning curve is steep, but highly rewarding. There is little room for laziness, and an expectation that you will throw yourself in to your work with tenacity and passion.

8. "Brilliant!"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England

I have been working at The Chemistry Group full-time

Pros

The Chemistry Group is a bunch of very intelligent people all working together with the best intentions towards each other, their clients and the future of the company. Everyone truly embodies the values of being passionate, brave and human and everyone is encouraged to bring their whole self to work and continually develop and learn.

Cons

Working at Chemistry, there is no place to hide so if you are not prepared to be yourself and jump outside of your comfort zone every day, then it might not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

9. "Rewarding"

I have been working at The Chemistry Group full-time

Pros

Great place to work
    Feel like im listened to and appreciated

Cons

There can be long days sometimes

"Fun company that is going places in it's industry, but it's not for everyone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at The Chemistry Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very good salary and benefits
    - Fun culture and colleagues, Chemistry seriously have some great people
    - Most work is based out of central London
    - Plenty of responsibility and opportunity for progression

Cons

- Work-life balance is weighted pretty extremely in the favour of 'work' part of that balace
    - Technology could automate a lot of BA work
    - Critical environment, open criticism of junior staff from above - not necessarily with them present

Can't really quantify it, but it's a bit 'cult'-y, which is probably normal in a 'start-up' type of business,personally it disagreed with me.

Advice to Management

It's hard to give a rating out of 5, because you genuinely either love it or hate it, I was a 'hate' - but that's me.

Advice -
    - Hire more people to spread the work over
    - Project management training (I'd say Agile) could be very useful in organizing the chaos
    - Make an effort to support the staff who need or ask for it

"Intense but fulfilling"

I have been working at The Chemistry Group full-time

Pros

The company is a fantastic place to work, the emphasis on development is amazing and it's a pleasure to work here.

Cons

It is intense and all consuming. You bring your whole self to work and it is that whole self that has to develop to keep up at chemistry. However, this is both a positive and a negative. It's worth it if you love it, as most do.