The Co-operative Bank Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 158 reviews

2.9
The Co-operative Bank CEO Andrew Bester
Andrew Bester
Pros
  • "Good people committed to company(in 13 reviews)

• "The bank actively look for ways to continue to support that all important work life balance which is so important(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management continue to bring in their colleagues from previous employers it is clearly not what you know but who is your mate(in 10 reviews)

• "No direction and poor management(in 8 reviews)

1. "A great place to work"

Former Employee - Consultant in Manchester, England

I worked at The Co-operative Bank full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

Great work environment and facilities

Cons

Little opportunity for development or progress

The Co-operative Bank2018-10-29

November 1, 2018HR Digital and Channels Lead

Thank you for your 5 star review! It means a lot to us and we want to thank you for working with us so proudly for over 10 years. We are pleased that you have commended our working environment and facilities in Manchester, and appreciate your feedback around development opportunities. ...

2. "The people are nice, the organisation is relaxed and the flexible working policy is a bonus."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at The Co-operative Bank full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

The people are who make it bearable and since the new CEO came on board there seems to be some great ideas in the pipeline and a good future if they manage to deliver on upgrading the legacy systems. Flexible working The workforce non senior management are great The location is great Benefits are ok

Cons

I’ve been here over a year, it’s completely under resourced in every department, they seem to be cutting heads without implementing any smart ways of working for the people who remain which is slowly causing a high level of sickness due to stress. The senior leadership are uninspiring and provide little confidence in the people they manage Communication can be improved Not provided with the correct tools to do the job

Advice to Management

Review your current people management team, you may find they are repelling talent to the bank. Also allow dress down for all non customer facing staff not just certain departments.

The Co-operative Bank2019-05-07
  3. "A mixed bag"

I worked at The Co-operative Bank full-time

Pros

Generally friendly atmosphere. Good people committed to company. City centre

Cons

Stuck in past. Ageing processes and systems. No future strategy.

Advice to Management

Define a strategy and stick to it.

The Co-operative Bank2019-05-02
  4. "First Point of Contact Mortgages"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockport, England

I worked at The Co-operative Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Career progression opportunities for a few to be able to become Mortgage Advisers

Cons

Poor unaccountable managing, inconsistent performance tests varied greatly between staff. I would highly advise joining a union and having them present during meetings with mangers as they will steam role their opinion as irrefutable facts. I often skipped lunch and worked free overtime to write detailed notes on the outdated systems but this was not recognised by managers who were often unapproachable.

Advice to Management

Advice to senior management, make sure you treat staff equally.

The Co-operative Bank2019-04-01

May 1, 2019HR Digital and Channels Lead

Hi, thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are sorry to read about your experience and we will feed it back to the senior management team to ensure our culture of co-operativeness, consistency and accountability is demonstrated across our Bank.

5. "A great place to work for exposure to all aspects of the business"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at The Co-operative Bank full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Customer Focussed Great people Good benefits Generous holidays Flexible working Supportive atmosphere

Cons

There has been a lot of change in recent years however we are relaunching our strategy and there is an exciting journey ahead of us

Advice to Management

Keep listening to customers and colleagues

The Co-operative Bank2019-02-11

February 19, 2019HR Digital and Channels Lead

Thank you for your four star review! We're delighted to read you've worked at the Bank for over eight years and you recognise our focus on customers and colleagues. It is an exciting journey ahead and we'll continue listening to and acting on your feedback to make sure it's a successful ...

6. "Customer Service Advisor"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Manchester, England

I worked at The Co-operative Bank for more than 2 years

Pros

Relatively good pay, good people, good work life balance

Cons

long hours, no career prospects

The Co-operative Bank2019-01-29

February 13, 2019HR Digital and Channels Lead

Thanks for taking the time to rate us and for highlighting our flexible working environment. We’re committed to supporting colleagues with their career aspirations and creating development opportunities where we can.

7. "Great place to work"

I have been working at The Co-operative Bank full-time

Pros

- Friendly, helpful people - Flexible working - Great holidays (up to 30 days)

Cons

- Certain areas are unorganised

The Co-operative Bank2019-01-13

January 29, 2019HR Digital and Channels Lead

Thank you for your four star review - we're pleased you consider us a "great place to work" and that you've taken the time to highlight our colleagues and lifestyle benefits. We welcome any ideas you have about how we can improve.

• "Good Place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at The Co-operative Bank full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Flexible hours, nice people and location

Cons

pay is generally lower than other firms

The Co-operative Bank2019-01-08

January 29, 2019HR Digital and Channels Lead

Thanks for your four star review and for calling out our great people and convenient City Centre location. We believe we offer a good total reward package, and our basic salary is above the Living Wage Foundation rate, however we'll continue to look at how we build on this.

• "Co-op Bank"

I worked at The Co-operative Bank full-time

Pros

Good teamwork relationships with colleagues

Cons

Emphasis on selling loans, overdrafts poor senior management

The Co-operative Bank2018-12-28

January 2, 2019HR Digital and Channels Lead

Thanks for taking the time to rate us. We're pleased that you've called out teamwork and colleague relationships in your review, as one of our values is 'stronger together'. You've mentioned loans and overdrafts; we do offer a range of products and services but with a commitment to ...

• "Co-operative Bank"

Former Employee - Principal Data Developer in Manchester, England

I worked at The Co-operative Bank full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Friendly staff Convenient head office location

Cons

Management skills are poor, don't expect to get any feedback whatsoever unless you're not doing your job well. If you're good at your job, the only person who will give you a pat on your back is yourself. Responsibility from stakeholders is avoided too much and passed around unwanted. Overly bureaucratic ways hinder and severely slows down work. All important work goes to consultants and contractors leaving permanent...

Advice to Management

Retrain management staff to realize the importance of giving feedback to develop instead of ignore employees. Recognition and appreciation for good employees should not be at the bottom of managements priorities.

The Co-operative Bank2019-01-08

January 29, 2019HR Digital and Channels Lead

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Colleague reward and recognition is important to our culture; it's part of performance management and something we celebrate and promote across the Bank. We're working with our leaders to ensure they have the guidance and support to apply this consistently.

Found 158 reviews