The Co-operative Bank Reviews

3.6
The Co-operative Bank Chief Executive Officer  Nick Slape
Nick Slape
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "good"

Former Employee - Customer Service Team Leader in Manchester, England, England

I worked at The Co-operative Bank full-time

Pros

good for people at work

Cons

none none none none none

March 29, 2021Resourcing Business Partner

Thank you for your 5 star review and so glad you enjoyed working for us here at the Bank.

"Awful HR team. Does not live up to ethics in regards to employees."

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England, England

I have been working at The Co-operative Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunity right now to work from home and hopefully will continue into the future.

Cons

Over the course of the years I've felt 'done over' by the HR team and policies. Unlike other places I've worked for HR have no interest in providing useful support for colleagues, and whenever pay or money comes into play the Bank shows its nastier side. Overtime is non-existent despite frequently having to work outside of hours and instead the approach is to 'claim back-time' which isn't feasible given that long hours are needed to finish expected work load. There is a bad habit of only recruiting internally, but then despite being promoted or moved into new roles pay isn't amended to reflect the new role but instead is capped to only increase by a certain percent. Career opportunities like this are limited as people are typically cherry picked for roles so recruitment is hardly fair, but when opportunities do come up loyalty is punished and remaining here will mean working SIGNIFICANTLY under the market average for a role. Senior leadership generally do not provide support.

March 29, 2021Resourcing Business Partner

Thank you for leaving us a review and sharing your thoughts, I am sorry to hear your concerns on salary and hours etc, we are a living wage employer and aim to always be competitive in our internal and external salaries and as you know, we have a range of policies and support in place to help our colleagues maintain a healthy work-life balance and we are doing more to promote this. . We have been through challenges in the past few years which we appreciate can be hard... We recognise we need to do all we can to support and value our colleagues. You can speak to your line manager or confidentially to your HR Business Partner to discuss this matter further.

3. "X"

Current Employee - Currently Unemployed in Stoke-on-Trent, England, England

I have been working at The Co-operative Bank full-time

Pros

Good company and good people

Cons

Limited funds to drive forward change

4. "Good company"

Former Employee - Customer Service Officer in Manchester, England, England

I worked at The Co-operative Bank part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay good hours good staff

Cons

None enjoyed working within company

5. "Great people fighting a losing battle against legacy tech issues and red tape"

Current Employee - Front End Software Engineer in Manchester, England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at The Co-operative Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The people are great, office culture is friendly and comfortable. - Opportunities are often given available to shadow or be seconded to learn junior technical jobs and I think it's a good way to get into a new career. - They are at least trying to keep up with the times. - Hours and holidays and workload are all pretty generous/manageable things

Cons

- So much red tape preventing valuable digital transformation. As a developer we are limited to what we can and can't use because of security concerns. Even things as simple as staying connected via slack. - Things are always done in the cheapest possible way and I personally think this is a losing strategy. - Salary and benefits are not great. - There's a real struggle to retain skilled staff. - Regulatory "emergencies" often get in the way of deliverables.

March 1, 2021Resourcing Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback I will certainly take your comments back to our Senior leaders for consideration, We have made changes to improve our IT through a bank wide desktop transformation, which has provided all colleagues with a better tech platform on which to work. We’re invested in the long term sustainable future of The Bank. We're pleased that you've called out our amazing People in your review, as one of our values is ‘stronger together’. We do acknowledge it's a challenging environment, but also exciting and rewarding, for colleagues who want to help us shape our digital ethical Bank.

6. COVID-19

"Outdated and useless"

1.0
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Liverpool, England, England

I worked at The Co-operative Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free water and plenty of good grade coffee and tea as this expense was deducted from the till float (talk about being cost effective)

Cons

Incompetence is the general word I would use for cooperative bank. Every level of the bank were atrocious at doing the simplest of tasks, from management to HR to payroll, to business teams, customer service... even the likes of fraud dept etc. Everyone was useless, blame and responsibility was just shifted onto someone else and problems were never dealt with. The bank is on a steady decline and I wouldn’t be suprised if they go bust all together soon - the way they treat staff is horrendous and they run business like they’re stuck in the 90’s. Outdated systems, processes - customers were always so frustrated with how slow and behind the times we were as a bank. It is well known that it’s against regulatory requirements to use targets and sales as leverage for staff, as this would lead to unfair outcomes for the customers. However each staff member was heavily targeted and pretty much forced to sell different types of accounts, insurance etc. We were also targeted on booking appointments even during the midst of a pandemic. We were cold calling customers (again, not aloud) to try and hit targets forced down onto us by managers, even when everyone was told by the government to stay at home. I could go on forever at how badly run the company is, I have no doubt in the next 12/24 months the cooperative bank will be no more. The bank in general break so many of the FCA requirements it’s shocking to not have been picked up on.

7. "Good Place to work"

Current Employee - AML Analyst in Manchester, England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at The Co-operative Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Relax atmosphere to work in

Cons

Training and systems needs improving.

8. "It’s Ok"

Current Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Manchester, England, England

I have been working at The Co-operative Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People, surrounding, building , environment and

Cons

Pay, hours, job role, communication

April 19, 2021Resourcing Business Partner

Thank you for leaving us a review and calling out our people at we see our colleagues as our strongest asset.

9. "Work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Operational Excellence in Manchester City Centre, England, England

I have been working at The Co-operative Bank part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good with people, fair and flexible

Cons

Small bank limited to progress

April 19, 2021Resourcing Business Partner

Thank you for leaving us a review,We're pleased that you've called out teamwork and colleague relationships in your review, as one of our values is ‘stronger together’. We appreciate there has been a lot of change recently, but our strategy remains consistent under our new CEO, Nick Slape.

10. COVID-19

"Great place to work, Ethics and Values are all true"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Talent Acquisition in Manchester City Centre, England, England

I worked at The Co-operative Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility to work from home a few days a week (pre-covid) Handled the pandemic really well with all the infrastructure already in place The values and ethics are genuine and they inform their hiring decisions The support from your manager and colleagues is great and they build you up and celebrate achievements. Fantastic work/life balance with family friendly policies Culture of progressing internal talent is really strong

Cons

Like all workplaces there can be a bit too much red tape sometimes. Sometimes too many meetings but this has improved. Internal salary progression can sometimes be overshadowed by the salaries of the external market, creating some uneven salaries in some teams when new hires join.

February 17, 2021Resourcing Business Partner

Thank you for your 5 star review. We are pleased that you consider us a great place to work and you have taken the time to highlight our colleagues, our benefits and our strategy. Thank you for your service and contribution to the bank.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 275 Reviews