The Hartford Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Hartford CEO Christopher Swift
Christopher Swift

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is deteriorating significantly (in 70 reviews)

• This is suppose to be a call center but it is not (in 44 reviews)

1. "Sales Reps Beware"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

Large, financially stable carrier. Excellent training programs, selling materials. Great peers, attracts talented individuals.

Cons

Sales - highly metrics oriented. Sales reps that have been there longest have the best territories . Newer sales reps will he expected to perform at same level with agents/territories that are not the cream of the crop.

Advice to Management

Comparative Sales and Policy Count Metrics are inherently flawed if there are specific territories with constant turnover. Other factors are at play with economically depressed areas, underwriting/availability of coverage quotes in certain geographic areas, Experienced, smart, diligent and savvy reps, new to Hartford, have failed. Wake Up and smell the stag scat!

"Workers Compensation Adjuster"

Current Employee - Workers Compensation Phoenix in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Workers Compensation Phoenix in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility of hours worked. You can really come and go as you please so long as you get your 8 hours in. Other than that I wouldn't say there is any pros. Decent pay but there are literally 3-4 companies all doing the same thing nearby with the same rates and benefits without any of the hassle.

Cons

The management staff really has no clue what they are doing and in department meetings when problems are brought to their attention they side step and make excuses for themselves. They will tell you your maximum caseload may be 80-100 but the reality is you will be doing the work of two people because everyone leaves and they need to move that work somewhere so expect a caseload of 160-220 easy. Lucky you. The training is probably the worst aspect of it and everyone in management seems to be aware of the problem yet exercise no ability to implement change or even try to teach you on their own.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. You are beyond disconnected from your workers. Quite frankly they should toss all of you out and find managers that can actually ya know.. manage people. Learn to communicate and teach the employees that come to The Hartford with little to no claims experience as the rest of us who do have that experience and understand were being overworked are just going to continue to leave until you can MANAGE (key word here) to get it together. You are opening a Phoenix hub and scrambling to fill it with people when the reality is your management staff is the true cause of what's driving everyone away.

"I Don't Recommend Western Workers' Compensation at The Hartford"

Former Employee - Senior Claims Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great, 401K match, vacation time, great salary

Cons

The upper management in Western Workers' Compensation leaves a lot to be desired. They are the whole reason I left. They do not get to know their staff and some of the managers in the office actually try to avoid speaking to anyone. If you are like me and need to feel like you belong to an inter-connected group this is not the group for you. Management says they encourage togetherness and teamwork but actions speak louder than words. The RVP never even learned how to spell my name.

Favoritism is big here. They will create made-up jobs for those who tend to brown nose. But everyone else is treated like human capitol. I am the type of person who gets satisfaction out of my job and out of contributing to something but being treated like I was just a number at a desk and anyone else could replace be was very disheartening.

The company culture is good outside of the Workers' Compensation department. If work-life balance is important to you this is not the job for you. They are always adding more reports designed to help us with our jobs but they are mandatory and time consuming. I was always logging on at home during the weeknights and on weekends.

One of the Department Managers in Phoenix also does not like to allow employees to have benefits like working from home 1-2 days a week unless they are single moms. I had to fight and fight for the right to stay home once a week but moms were being given phones without asking. He also thinks taking that benefit away should be a punishment for people who fall behind.

The training is abysmal and they are fully aware of it and have failed to make any improvements.

Advice to Management

I was a top performer and I left. That says something. Management needs to stop hiding behind excuses like "turnover is always high this time of year," and "they just weren't a good fit" when people choose to leave the company. If the underlying problems are not addressed the department will fail. Already this year turnover is higher than this time last year.

"Noticeable Changes"

I worked at The Hartford full-time

Pros

Pay, benefits, fitness center, clear lines for career advancement, generous tuition reimbursement, multiple coffee shops, free Parker, private park with running track

Cons

Culture is going in the wrong direction- it's not a good sign when Senior & Executive leaders take attendance at 8 AM and 4 PM, or question why people work from home on snow days (when WFH is a company benefit).

Advice to Management

Go back to a progressive management style

"Old School Company"

I worked at The Hartford full-time

Pros

Company survived crash. Well established and well-known in the insurance industry. Great partnership within the community/volunteerism. Benefits ok - partial education reimbursement.

Cons

Company hurting - starting another year of layoffs. Eliminated pension plans, moved to self-directed health insurance. They focus on the recent grads who end up leaving. Forget trying to get promoted, many have been there for years and are in the same job/same title. Typical corporate environment, expected to work long hours with no bonus. Remote work not supported consistently across company.

Advice to Management

Start to walk the talk instead of advertising that you support certain initiatives but yet, your actions speak differently. Stop focusing on just on the younger generation who are get trained and leave - wasting a lot of $$

"Great in the beginning, but it went down hill"

Former Employee - High Exposure Claim Representative in Aurora, IL (US)
    Former Employee - High Exposure Claim Representative in Aurora, IL (US)

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, ability to buy vacation time, allow remote workers. Company overall is fine, but Claims leaves a lot to be desired.

Cons

Unreasonable work loads, no work life balance, they micromanage every move, expect perfection and do not appreciate their employees. They have ridiculous expectations with customer service reviews!

Advice to Management

Quit micromanaging and hire people with experience. Get rid of that ridiculous survey!!

"Strictly pays the bills"

I have been working at The Hartford full-time

Pros

Remote work options
    Decent compensation and benefits structure

Cons

Unprofessionalism tolerated within the workplace. Our external customers are often rude and managers do not hold them accountable. Internal customers can also be rude and unprofessional at times and management makes excuses for it rather than addressing it. Makes the work environment very stressful and confrontational. Not exactly an environment I want to be in 9 hours a day/5 days a week. High volume and everyone needs everything yesterday. I have been with the company for 6 years and no consideration was given to me for career advancement when attempting to develop my career in other areas. Millennials generally aren't valued here for their opinions or feedback which is a huge con for companies looking to attract and retain talent.

"Any reasonably objective person...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT (US)

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A reasonable bye at 1 to 1.10 of book. Brand is strong and recognizable. Distribution has some trust and partnership but it has eroded for some time.

Cons

Management culture rules be fear, loathing, mistrust and totalitarian command and control. No independent thinking welcome.
    Never ever provide feedback, especially when offered as anonymous. Absolutely no such thing. They like the notion of feedback but use this as a tool to weed out people that don't comply with this management style.
    Distribution partners have less and less brand loyalty. Some very key senior leaders are weak but hugely empowered with seemingly limited check and balance.

Advice to Management

Chris, see the changes needed very close to you. Poor choices allowed to linger too long then scapegoated are a sign. Who's exactly is doing all this hiring that turnsover, Chris? How is the PC turnover? Why?

"Service Rep"

I worked at The Hartford full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

number of time off days

Cons

poor management support. Management uncaring. Management acts ask though it is a new company and just figuring their way. Too much nepotism, hard work does not pay off, it is all about friendship and who is friends with whom. Pay rate among the lowest in the industry

Advice to Management

Do more to retain staff, promote based on merit not based on who is friends with whom. Develop talent,

"It's been a roller coaster."

Current Employee - Workers Comp Claims Adjuster
    Current Employee - Workers Comp Claims Adjuster

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and flexibility. They offer tuition reimbursement and part time work from home which is super helpful some times.

Cons

Management dumps a lot of work on you with unrealistic standards that are to be met. For example they give you a claim out of 160 claims and expect you to exceed quality, regulatory, and customer service standards with little to no support from other departments. Claim handlers are expected to do a lot more than what other companies make us do.

Advice to Management

Listen to the claim handlers! If it's a lot of work, hire more people.

Showing 239 of 1,379 reviews