The Home Depot Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

The Home Depot CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear
6,297 Ratings
Pros
Cons
  • "Full time opportunities are limited(in 952 reviews)

• "Not enough hours as part-time employee(in 881 reviews)

1. "Marketing"

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time

Pros

Great people and training opportunities

Cons

None that I can think of

The Home Depot2018-08-10
  2. "Fun"

Former Employee - Assistant in London, England

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for less than a year

Pros

Customers thinking they are funny

Cons

Bad pay for hard workers

Advice to Management

pay more

The Home Depot2019-05-22
  3. "Sales advisor"

I worked at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

Everyday is a new experience. You make great friends working in a team. We had occasional incentives when the store would meet targets.

Cons

Shifts sometimes weren't done fairly

The Home Depot2019-05-15
  4. "Cash"

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time

Pros

Easy interview! Great working environment

Cons

Loads of over time, can be hard to work around

Advice to Management

Prepare the schedule better

The Home Depot2019-04-06
  5. "Order Fulfillment Associate"

I worked at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

I had very little instruction. For the most part, I was able to do my job my own way without interference.

Cons

The lack of overhead structure was sometimes frustrating. My HR representative was sometimes too busy driving a forklift to help me with scheduling.

Advice to Management

Check up on your employees. Gather feedback. A lot could have been improved. Scheduling was a big problem. Sometimes we had more OFAs than necessary, sometimes I was alone.

The Home Depot2019-03-14
  6. "Just okay"

Former Employee - Ihdihdn in Manchester, England

I worked at The Home Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Work life balance People are nice

Cons

Long hours Managment structure not great

The Home Depot2019-03-13
  7. "nice"

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

atmosphere, people, salary, benefits, location

Cons

none that i can think of

The Home Depot2019-01-23
  8. "Rate"

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time

Pros

Depot good for salary and also working balancing

Cons

Depot good for perks and other benefits

The Home Depot2018-12-28
  9. "Sales advisor"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, not very taxing

Cons

Low wage and can be mundane

The Home Depot2018-11-21

"Weak Management - Avoid DE&S. Work in MOD instead but not DIO"

Current Employee - Cost Controller

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

* Provide training for qualifications * Flexible working and holidays

Cons

* Historic culture of bullying, discrimination and harassment by middle management (in existence since 2007 and worsening). * "Free for all" in terms of staff discipline and management. Urgent need for a fully functioning HR Section with staff that have knowledge of employment law. HR has no authority with decisions left to managers without the necessary experience or knowledge when things go wrong. *... Performance culture (Yr End Review) based on who you know rather than on results. Managers too blinded by personality rather than on delivery. Poor performance ignored.Management never accepts responsibility for failings or puts things right. * To move posts you either have to apply externally or leave with management often interfering in applications to stop people moving. For some staff, the issues are such that it can affect mental health through the inability to move posts quickly or not at all. Lack of duty of care shown in all levels throughout the organisation. Your success is based on the quality of your management and under Transformation, you no longer have the ability to move to get out of situations. * Promotion is almost impossible to achieve in lower grades especially in Finance and Project Controls with only 10% salary increase offered. Lower starting salaries since Transformation. Ability to earn more is based on Management offering you and recognising work which exceeds objectives (rare). Very common to be expected to take on work at higher grades with DE&S failing to pay deputising allowance. Continual history of broken promises from management. * Continual drive to recruit from outside and ignore talent within the organisation * Better opportunities in Project Management and Commercial than in Cost Control or Finance (poorly managed) * Culture of middle management bearing down on lower staff, imposing unreasonable workloads and expecting staff to work whilst on leave, weekends or evenings whilst the management has a life. Difficult to take leave. * Since 2016, blame culture is common practice where management fails to respond to feedback. Working relationships with other functions can be strained to the point at which processes fail to function effectively. No support from management in many cases. * Parking onsite and commuting is an issue. * Not an inclusive culture - disabled staff in particular tend to have a poor experience where managers cannot be bothered to service or respect reasonable adjustments. Often witnessed staff excluded from activities *Lack of on the job training - you have to train yourself and don't expect help from others. Some (not all) staff are very self centred and back stabbing is common.

Advice to Management

* Urgently need a fully functioning and effective HR Department * Need to deal with poor performance across the organisation *Need to work on an inclusive culture and support disabled staff * Much more focus on improving weak management, to take responsibility where things go wrong and more importantly, correct the situation * Review pay and HR policies * Value internal staff and recognise their achievements *... Review performance in Finance and Cost Controller functions where currently there are staff unvalued and poor HR/management practise. * Review processes which are currently long winded , inefficient and poor value for money * Too much reliance on external consultants - the people who know what needs to be done are the staff doing the job at the lower levels. * Sort out recruitment process - poor, non existent feedback and often leaving candidates with long delays, subjective feedback

The Home Depot2018-09-19