The Hut Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

The Hut Group Reviews

Updated 15 Nov 2019

2.3
The Hut Group CEO Matthew Moulding (no image)
Matthew Moulding
Pros
  • "I was concerned after reading many of the reviews but I made the right move moving to THG(in 29 reviews)

• "The Hut Group provides great opportunity to work your way up the ranks and be exposed to a huge range of technologies(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Here are some cons - I guess they're a bit more general to all of THG not just tech(in 56 reviews)

• "Completely inflexible working hours(in 37 reviews)

1. "Good company, lots of opportunities, social events"

Current Employee - Paid Media Executive in Manchester, England

I have been working at The Hut Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good team, lots of progression opportunities

Cons

Can be disorganised at times

Advice to Management

More manager training

The Hut Group2019-11-08
  2. "Marmite company but a good place to start your career"

Former Employee - Brand Executive in Manchester, England

I worked at The Hut Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

- lots of responsibility at a junior level - quick opportunities for promotion - bonus scheme - lots of freebies and discounts - fun & young working environment

Cons

- long working hours - political - high pressure environment, very last minute - inexperienced management - lack of consideration regarding employee wellbeing - lack of investment into brands

Advice to Management

Treat staff with more respect and ensure salaries are reflective. Invest more into brands and stop discounting sites so much or brands will undoubtedly collapse in future.

The Hut Group2019-11-12
  3. "Great for people with Drive and Passion"

I have been working at The Hut Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Open to new ideas Nice environment Not corporate

Cons

The temporary parking situation isn't great

The Hut Group2019-11-08
  4. "Good enough"

Former Employee - Developer in Norwich, England

I worked at The Hut Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive salary Flexible working Benefits and vouchers

Cons

Long working hours Location Management

The Hut Group2019-11-02

"Not great"

Current Employee - Office Staff in Manchester, England

I have been working at The Hut Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities to work with different brands and not doing the same thing every day

Cons

60 hour weeks are regular with no overtime or lieu time, the staff car park is far away, discounts are minimal, salary end up being terrible because of the amount of hours worked. The work/life balance is non existent.

Advice to Management

Cut hours down to regular 8-4 or 9-5, give us more than 30min lunch break, give us free car parking

The Hut Group2019-10-19
  6. "Software Engineer"

I have been working at The Hut Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

opportunities to do impactful work

Cons

lack of training/ technical guidance

The Hut Group2019-10-27

"Good Starting Company but the Cons Outweigh the Pros"

Former Employee - Graduate Software Engineer in Manchester, England

I worked at The Hut Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent opportunity to learn about full stack web development. You get the chance to take ownership very early on can work with some very talented people High starting salary for a graduate role

Cons

Working hours are too long Lunch is too short Very large disparity in salary for people at the same level Culture isn't that great It's not a tech company

The Hut Group2019-10-21

"Great opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Acquisition Manager in Manchester, England

I have been working at The Hut Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Big business Lots of opportunties

Cons

Miss the basics E.g. long hours, parking is a 10 minute walk from office

The Hut Group2019-10-17

"Good experience -toxic culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at The Hut Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you start as a graduate, the experience is unparalleled as you genuinely get chucked into the deep end - but that's where the pros end. If you have an idea, run with it - and as long as you are willing to graft, it'll happen (unless it requires money spent........) Opportunity to work across the business - almost gives you an agency feel. If you put your foot down when you start, work-life balance can be... maintained.

Cons

Poor and inexperienced managers who are employed based on how much of a pushover they are as opposed to holding leadership qualities. Teams are all under-resourced and strain is evident. Retention is shocking - there is no room for feedback as everything is viewed as criticism. Arrogant directors who have no time for anyone beneath them. Discount focused model which undercuts all marketing/brand building... activities. Shady activity from buying & trading team who will "accidentally" discount brands to hit targets. Ridiculous "senior squad" mentality from Beauty CEO which creates a further divide Possessive CEO -Matt M - stop playing the humble card when you're buying whatever tickles your fancy A horrible culture full of people trying to one-up on everyone - many senior team/managers are micromanagers and not team players.

Advice to Management

Please train your managers and listen to your staff. When the whole buying team left due to leadership - it says a lot. People do work hard - don't treat them like children.

The Hut Group2019-09-24

"THG: Where nothing makes sense but everything matters"

Former Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Manchester, England

I worked at The Hut Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Hut Group provides great opportunity to work your way up the ranks and be exposed to a huge range of technologies. I worked within the tech side of the business and did throughout my whole career at THG. I initially joined as a junior support engineer, not proven and no experience, The Hut Group took me on and gave me the relevant training to become an efficient engineer. They are very slick with getting you... to a standard that you can contribute within the team. The progression you can make within the company is sky high. For me, I came in as a junior support engineer and made my way up into the senior infrastructure team and taking on my own projects and being solely responsible for a global system. This gave me the chance to learn so much more and being young, I got the chance to do jobs and roles which you would be waiting years in a standardised company. The Christmas party is good.

Cons

To start, within the pros section i stated that progression is great at THG. That is true, you can go up the ranks becoming more senior and do more technically demanding work. BUT you go up, your rank goes up and your pay stays the same. If you do get a chance to ask for a pay rise, be prepared to hear next to nothing for months, in fact if you ask 6 months before you are valid to get a pay rise it will still be... another 3 months after you are valid that you’ll hear anything about it. You ask your manager, and your manager goes up the chain to the top, every pay rise gets signed by the CEO himself, which adds to the already long delay. Your manager has to jump through a stupendous amount of hoops to even get a pay increase considered. That's then followed by pages and pages of justification, your justification becomes more well documented than THG's policy on matter. All this effort and politics for a small reward is more a slap in the face than the disparity in pay. To add to the money woes, the consistency within ranks is nonexistent. A brand new junior engineer now comes in on a higher salary than a more senior support engineer who was hired a year earlier, and is more qualified, and would that be fixed? Nope. The more senior engineer would just get a shrug and a swift telling off for finding out someone’s pay….within their own ranks. Everyone is so fearful to ask the people who run the company for money, you ask for a pay rise, it gets whittled down to just surpass the rate of inflation, you ask for investment in tech it is abruptly shut down with a 'make do' response. What adds to the frustration is that you are shut down for investing in the technology and then asked why it isn't better....the simple answer here is because you need to invest! Moving away from the money that you'd never see and towards the culture. Expect to work long hours, 45 hours is nothing within THG, a 60 hour week with at least one shift seeing midnight when you started at 9 in the morning. Is to be expected. You are stretched thin, to the point where personal life is affected. A horrible cycle no one should go through. The company goes through so many structure changes throughout the year that you lose track who owns what service and where to go for a certain issue. This is all in an effort to fix the issues with struggling with the workload that they have trying to fix the problems that have been pushed down the priorities list because 'Black Friday prep' reigns all. The solution is stability and investment, but if management need something, it is needed before the hat hits the floor. This makes teams lose all direction, how is a team supposed to work if they are just given the days biggest priority, with no context and what seems like no thought from the higher ups. One last quick one for this is comprehensive on one of many frustrations with the company, staff discount isn’t normally beaten by the companies own offers which goes out to everyone!

Advice to Management

It isn't going to take much for the great engineers within the division to find something better. Open your eyes before they are all gone.

The Hut Group2019-10-16