The Hut Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 20 March 2019

2.2
Matthew Moulding

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The Hut Group have also recently launched The" (in 23 reviews)

• "Very fast paced and intellectually stimulating workplace" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours (especially outside of tech)" (in 37 reviews)

• "I was there during the transition when The Hut Group acquired UK2 group, and there were some growing pains as a result" (in 29 reviews)

"The THG from opps to CEO"

Current Employee - Applications Developer in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Applications Developer in Manchester, England

I have been working at The Hut Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent progression in career path
    Good compertative salerry
    Working at your own initiative
    Great team supports

Cons

Growing very fast and some employees can’t handle the pressure and quit.

Advice to Management

Increase the 1-2-1’s with your teams

2. "A mixed bag, but unique"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Manchester, England

I worked at The Hut Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

THG definitely has some strong points, it's a huge local success story and the work you'll do there will be in front of millions of customers.

It's relatively easy to get involved with an impactful project, and the tooling isn't great so you one way to get noticed is to make people's lives easier with some internal spreadsheets or software or whatever.

It's practically criminal that THG only has one Glassdoor page - the experience you'll get in Beauty Vs Tech Vs Operations etc is worlds apart, and quite often these areas are literally run as separate businesses.

I can only really speak for Tech - and here are some pros:

- CTO is genuinely a smart guy who shields the whole division from a lot of crap. See below on my comments about attention span of the business, but the fact that any significant technical refactoring or improvements can be made is at least partially down to having a CTO that values that kind of work.
    - Senior leadership in tech is generally pretty good, there's a few reluctant people managers, and some people manage too many areas, but it's certainly something THG have invested in.
    - Comp was great, and I recommend you negotiate. They want a meritocracy (but aren't amazingly proficient at judging internal talent) so are perfectly comfortable having people in the same job with salaries out by a factor of 2. Whether you think that's fair or not, you should certainly try and use it to your advantage. Judge your skills when you interview and ask for what you think you're worth.
    - I reiterate that point again, this company has a ridiculous payroll budget, and they need talent badly. Negotiate when you join (there won't be another opportunity)
    - The company isn't well structured enough to remember if you've interviewed before, so don't worry about getting 'blacklisted' you can always apply in six months time again
    - Facilities has been massively invested in, so the quality of office space you're likely to see is actually pretty good these days. For Tech, anyway. Ask where you will be based early doors, and get it put in your contract.
    - Logistics - the coolest department within tech really because you can pick up some really niche knowledge quickly. Ecom you can kind of just slide into, but there's some real domain knowledge you can pick up by trying out that team.
    - Responsibility - you can definitely quickly find yourself in a pretty senior position. Titles don't count for anything at THG (come to terms with the fact that someone else will be given the same title as you and you won't be told), but you can find yourself managing a few people if you express a desire to try it out.
    - Recommend - to the right friend, I would recommend THG. They'd have to be a pretty cynical person, but that's the exact sort of person who'd do well there anyway

Cons

Here are some cons - I guess they're a bit more general to all of THG not just tech

- Management - as in, being a manager, is not fun at THG. Frankly its not a very understanding employer (statutory maternity, sick pay, terrible at performance reviews and pay rises) so being middle management at THG is primarily being the voice of bad news. People you manage will be angry, upset, they'll see you as the enemy, and who can blame them. You're the mouthpiece for a set of HR policies that are actively employee-hostile.
    - Data - The ecom side of THG has a complicated relationship with data. It values it in the abstract, creating approximately one new data science team every financial quarter, but it actually makes business decisions based on the gut feeling of marketing managers (who to be fair to them have only ever been promoted due to their good gut feelings, and never for following data). There's no real AB testing structure (build the feature, then AB test to cover you in case it tanks revenue), and managers demand to know why standard deviation hasn't increased this year, because stats competency is generally low in the business.
    - Attention span - The attention span of the company spins on a coin, and you'll never know what will be flavour of the month next. AI? Chatbots? User generated content?
    - Fear - Projects are prioritised based almost entirely on fear, whether that's the sites going down, or us missing out on a new feature someone else has. Tech regularly takes all the stuff it's been trying to get done for months and shoves it into a project vaugely branded as Black Friday readiness, as it's the only way to get on with any significant work.
    - Location- I assume the land is cheap but being based out of Manchester airport is random at best. Not a convenient place to get to, and I don't see how THG gets value out of actually being anyway near an international airport, let alone opposite the terminals. Building plans look cool though

Advice to Management

My final point is about Matt and culture. It's foolish to blanket-criticize anyone who's created such a large and successful company, and I can tell that he's proud to be a big employer in the area, and he's proud to have created many millionaires.

However, in my humble opinion, Matt's connection to the day to day running of THG is stifling. Not sure if it still happens, but manually casting your eye over hourly sales figures to call out anomalies at all hours of the day sends a very strong message about the level of trust you have in your staff, and the fact that you still regularly FIND issues says a lot about the quality of tooling and reporting in the business.

I also think your relationship with your employees can be odd - they work for THG, not you as a person. When you instruct staff to work on a personal project, it costs more in morale and payroll than it would have done to just contract it out. Managers squirm in planning meetings, trying to explain why crucial projects will be delivered late.

I actually have no criticisms of having a strong viewpoint about how a company like THG should be run, and rejoicing that those who don't fit in leave quickly. I think THG could be clearer to those coming in about what it is and what it isn't. That was tried before I left, and all that was delivered was a glossy book full of idioms that bore no relation to any job or experience or feeling I'd ever had at the company.

If you're going to be no nonsense, then embrace it. But call it out when you see it, and encourage your senior and middle management to do the same.

"good exposure that just isn't worth the nightmare of THG"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I have been working at The Hut Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- trusted immediately with a high level of responsibility
    - feel as though your job matters and has an impact on the wider business from day 1

Cons

- incredibly cliquey senior team - only was to progress is by being 'in' with the directors
    - the company's awful ethics and morals
    - teaches younger employees what a good company isn't rather than is

"Avoid"

Former Employee - Finance in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Finance in Manchester, England

I worked at The Hut Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is growing, office is newly refurbished.
    Dress down.

Cons

There is a chronic high turnover in this company. Some people in senior positions are bad at their jobs, and lacking experience. Poor employee benefits - don't expect anything but your salary. People are offered made up job titles to make them sound more senior.

Advice to Management

Look at the people in senior positions and consider whether they are competent. Review your employee benefits as they are not competitive.

"AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE! AVERAGE LENGTH OF SERVICE IS LESS THAN 12 MONTHS . . ."

Former Employee - Manager in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Manager in Manchester, England

I worked at The Hut Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very easy this section - ABSOLUTELY NONE!

Cons

It is full of very inexperienced people who have come straight from university and have no life or business skills. If you have friends who are senior managers then you will do quite well, for example the current CEO has a lot of her friends in senior positions who have no experience of that role at all But seem to be favoured for everything! The pressure is on from day one to sell sell sell and make a return on investment. Although they continually compare themselves to competitors who do the exact opposite and build a brand, they don’t care and expect the same results as them. Q

If you are prepared to have no social or family life and work from 9am -8/9pm you will also do well. It has a culture of ‘being seen late in the office proves you are working hard’. If you have children then completely forget them as you’ll have no time to see them as the working hour are more than any other business. Oh and I totally forgot, you have to be at the new office by no later than 8:15am as you will need to get a bus from the car park to the office as it’s nearly a mile away!!!

The senior members of staff are untouchable, for example their is a particular person who seems to get away with DM’ing young staff members on Instagram and saying very inappropriate things. This has happened for many years and still nothing happens!!

Advice to Management

Advice to management would be let people you’ve actually hired do their job. The culture needs to change dramatically as it is terrible and everything is forced. STOP HIRING YOUR MATES and give people with experience their correct roles!!!

"Incompetent Management - Avoid like the plague"

Former Employee - Buyer in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Buyer in Manchester, England

I worked at The Hut Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Young atmosphere
    Can be promoted quickly (if highly liked by management rather than if you’re good)

Cons

Parking (40 minutes journey from car park to office)
    Longest service staff are promoted as well liked rather than promoted based on skills/knowledge.
    Long working hours expected, pay doesn’t reflect.
    No structure to pay across the group
    Over rated titles which are meaningless
    Unprofessional senior management team - lack of confidentiality
    Beauty and Health division always favourites.
    CEO flashes his new car every week by front door.

Advice to Management

Pick a decent well respected team rather than your longest serving friends. Respect the group as a whole rather than Beauty/Health being favourites. Learn to teach management to treat staff correctly rather than having the worst staff turnover rate in the UK. Provide some fair parking or allow alternative work offices (remotely).

"A living nightmare."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I worked at The Hut Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It gives you an insight into how truly awful a company can be which makes you more appreciative of jobs in the future.

Cons

Where to even begin. The common theme seems to be “good for experience” but to be honest I’d avoid it like the plague, whether you’re an experienced professional or a new grad. I guess it’s a good eye-opener as to how bad a company can be run. It fills you with confusion, self-doubt, paranoia, frustration and the urge to reach for a bottle opener in an evening on a regular basis.

Management is none-existent. I think this is probably the main reason why everyone leaves around 9 minutes after they’re hired. There is zero direction and the culture is simply dreadful. A member of my team was once off for a week and the manager had no idea they’d even been gone. Only short-term goals are important as everyone’s main focus is personal career progression before they inevitably move to another team or company. Got a long-term plan for improvement or growth? Take that ridiculous attitude elsewhere, we don’t want any of that at THG. Managers either delegate work and take zero interest or just have no involvement at all. I think in 6 months my manager emailed me a total of 10 times... great leadership skills. He also never came to any meeting but instead asked me to run them. When I had a 1-2-1 with him (they were always deeply unpleasant encounters) I told him we had brands on the phone every week complaining about our pricing and he said “we need to be more piratey”. What do you even say to something like that?

You will not receive an annual review and there is no bonus structure whatsoever. The company once conducted a staff survey, they ignored everyone’s main concerns and cherry picked some information. They came up with a whole new bonus system but naturally it was never implemented. I asked about a pay rise after 12 months of juggling multiple jobs (which I wasn’t hired for) and was met with the response “I didn’t get a pay rise recently so why should you?”... Brilliant. A quick heads up; the words ‘opportunity’ and ‘above and beyond’ are just fancy words for do two jobs for one wage. Oh and you will be expected to cope with this new role even though it was someone else’s full-time job right up until they saw the light and escaped. Hiring new members of staff to replace the ones that leave is simply not something that happens. So you want to be a buyer? Why not be a merchandiser too!

I’m sorry I know I’m going on a bit here but I’m literally just scratching the surface. When I first started their excuse for not hiring new staff was “there’s not enough parking”. Then it was “there aren’t enough desks”. The company is now located at Manchester airport so there is parking, but it’s a 15 minute shuttle bus and a 10 minute walk from the office, oh and you get to pay for that privilege. Obviously.

The chain of command is nothing short of abysmal. Are you related to someone high up or tight with the powers at be... great, weasel away and be rewarded for it. Are you honest, professional and liked by the whole of your team? Yeah you’ll probably be pushed out of the company via an email with no genuine reason.

Don’t gobble up the rubbish you see on social media or believe the dream that’s sold to you. THG is just one very bad nightmare, only in reverse. You can’t wait to get home and go to sleep and you dread waking up because you know the nightmare with begin all over again.

Advice to Management

The managers are all so deluded that any advice would either go straight over their heads or fall on deaf ears.

8. "Has it’s benefits and drawbacks"

Current Employee - Social Media in Northwich, England
    Current Employee - Social Media in Northwich, England

I have been working at The Hut Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growth is there if you want it

Cons

Difficult to get the resource you need to show your true potential

Advice to Management

Help staff execute their ideas better

"Assistant Brand Manager"

I have been working at The Hut Group full-time

Pros

good job and recognition. good reedback

Cons

hr structure and career bath not great

"Terrible place to work"

Former Employee - Beauty Department in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Beauty Department in Manchester, England

I worked at The Hut Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can't think of anything sorry...

Cons

Micromanagement
    Immature, under qualified managers
    Lack of business acumen
    Bullying, school playground type of atmosphere
    Was unable to learn anything due to the lack of experience that management held
    Most people crippled with anxiety as a direct result of being micromanaged
    Once received an email to tell me they aren't a clockwatching company, but that I had arrived 3 minutes late (I worked through my lunch - a measly 30 mins by the way - and stayed over half an hour late for context) and when I highlighted that I worked through my lunch it was retorted that 'everyone does that every day anyway'
    Severe lack of care for employees wellbeing
    No payment for being off sick
    Completely inflexible working hours
    No work/life balance
    People crying at their desks and in the workplace because they're over worked and burnt out is a regular occurrence

Advice to Management

This is a house of cards that will surely collapse if you don't start addressing the issues highlighted in your many terrible employee reviews