The Hut Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 15 January 2019

2.4
Matthew Moulding

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The Hut Group have also recently launched The" (in 23 reviews)

• "Very fast paced and intellectually stimulating workplace" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours - don’t expect overtime or time in lieu if you are salaried" (in 36 reviews)

• "I was there during the transition when The Hut Group acquired UK2 group, and there were some growing pains as a result" (in 28 reviews)

"I love working here!"

Current Employee - Designer in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Designer in Manchester, England

I have been working at The Hut Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company are great at accommodating my request for family friendly hours. I work 30 hours over 4 days.

There are tonnes of opportunities to develop your career, specialise in different fields and progress.

The office in Manchester airport is very nice and the staff here are great.

Overall it is a fab place to work.

Cons

I am based at Manchester airport and the car parking (if you drive in, you can get the train) isn't as straight forward as it could be. You have to jump on a shuttle bus from the car park.

2. "Good opportunity"

I worked at The Hut Group full-time

Pros

Positive first opportunity for a foreign person.

Cons

Weekend shifts. 30 minutes lunch break.

3. "Would strongly recommend not working at the hut group"

Former Employee - Supply Chain in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Supply Chain in Manchester, England

I worked at The Hut Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most people generally left relatively on time

Cons

parking
    very poor inexperienced management
    force experienced people out of jobs
    overpaid graduates
    high turn over of staff (for a good reason)
    management have no experience, you get to be a manager by sticking it out for more than a year.
    expected to be working from on the evenings
    50% of the employees leave within the year
    av age of head office employee 24
    rely on graduates to work 60 hour weeks+

"A stress-infused workplace with no regard for its employees: Avoid at all costs!"

I worked at The Hut Group full-time

Pros

Expanding business with people from all over the world. There are genuinely good people working at the junior levels of THG

Cons

• The Hut Group is a company merely concerned about profit. Career progression and performance review are determined not by an employee’s performance, but rather by the crew of people he/she hangs with.
    • It’s extremely elitist.
    • Management abuses its employees by giving them unreachable targets and blaming them for not achieving those plus questioning their intellect.
    • No training provided whatsoever (you must figure things out by yourself as you go).
    • Managers have no experience (most of them are in their early 20s and only know the Hut Group’s narrow reality and apply the same bullying techniques they were thought when they came in the company).
    • Long-hours with absolutely no recognition (you’ll feel like you’re always behind what is expected).
    • I’ve witnessed managers asking employees to give false and positive reviews on this website to rise the overall score.

Advice to Management

I have no interest in giving advice to Management, because the issues I’ve raised above have been highlighted before and clearly nothing has been done. But I would like to say a word to young graduates thinking about joining the company: please know you’re heading into a cliff. Yes, the growth numbers of this company are an indication that the business is doing well, but this is not a healthy place to work for anybody.

"Software engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Manchester, England

I have been working at The Hut Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything is average and that’s how it will be

Cons

Higher hierarchy thinks they know everything so they will not bother listening to you. Truth is they are full of inflatable ego bubble. I will move to google soon as I prefer discussion of ideas and innovation over cold shoulder of senior team that is not even software engineer itself

Advice to Management

No point, no one will listen as usuall

"Big company, big growth, startup mentality"

Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Northwich, England
    Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Northwich, England

I worked at The Hut Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is expanding fast, so it has a very positive future. Nice office and working environment, good people and lots of opportunities for those ambitious.

Cons

Because the company is expanding so fast, it does experience growing pains.

"Get in and get out"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Northwich, England
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Northwich, England

I worked at The Hut Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a good place to be a grad if you comfortable with a lack of structure.

You have the opportunity to learn a lot in a short space of time - Can get some really good experience that you may not get elsewhere in such a short time.

The general workforce (excluding the senior manage etc) are generally really nice and there are some talented people around.

Cons

The company makes out that it is a meritocracy and that, although you have to work hard, you'll be well paid (they seem to always quote a competitive salary on any job descriptions) and progress quickly. In reality, this isn't true at all.

From my experience, there is a pretty weak correlation between how talented you are and how much they respect you - it seems that there a plenty of people that don't seem to really do anything (or don't do anything that well) that get paid well - usually experienced hires they've brought in.

There is a bit of a 'who can shout the loudest culture', which is pretty obviously to the people at the bottom - it's clear who the offenders are but senior management seem to buy into it and these people annoyingly seem to benefit from it.

There is a real disconnect between senior management and the main workforce.

Main piece of advice would be get in and get out - it's a good place to be a grad for a year but staying longer probably won't be beneficial to your career in the long run.

Advice to Management

Engage with the employees more.

Don't always listen to the people that make the most noise.

"A career graveyard"

I worked at The Hut Group full-time

Pros

A lot of experience. You get to work more than one job for the same pay!

Cons

Hours. Pay. Atmosphere. Location. Career prospects.

"Avoid at all costs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I worked at The Hut Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- New offices at Manchester Airport

Cons

- Terrible Management
    - Bullying culture
    - Long hours
    - Little reward
    - Clique mentality
    - HR are essentially pay roll and little else, with no knowledge of regulations

Advice to Management

Treat your staff with some dignity.

"Autocratic company with young inexperienced management."

I worked at The Hut Group full-time

Pros

If you can survive the cronyism and are willing to simply agree with senior management it is possible to be young and promoted and quite well paid at a junior level which may be appealing to some. As a warning to those pursuing this, your THG job title does not reflect your job in other companies. This means you run the risk of being unemployable elsewhere.

Cons

- Churn of staff is enormous even at the most senior level resulting in no long term planning and repeated mistakes.
    - Constant restructures with no clear goals is exhausting.
    - Promotion is almost entirely based on cronyism resulting in an echo chamber of yes-men.
    - Lack of time taken to listen to staff (although there have been many token efforts).
    - Talented women often overlooked.
    - No clear career progression
    - Meaningless changes in job titles without any change in compensation.
    - The feeling that everyone is either looking for an new job, or has found one.

My advice is not to believe the stories told to you by the recruitment team, you will almost definitely be disappointed.

Advice to Management

I do not blame the any of the middle management or many of the senior management for the criticisms listed above, I became very aware that there is very little they can do and spend most of their time protecting their job. In reality they appear mostly powerless to change anything. THG seemed to be a complete autocracy.