The Institution of Environmental Sciences Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

The Institution of Environmental Sciences Reviews

Updated 4 Feb 2020

4.9
The Institution of Environmental Sciences CEO Adam Donnan (no image)
Adam Donnan
  1. "Great first steps into environmental science communication"

Former Employee - Publications Officer in London, England

I worked at The Institution of Environmental Sciences full-time for more than a year

Pros

Responsibility from day one with loads of opportunities to make the job your own. A small but focused team who were always willing to lend a hand or guide you through tasks if you need assistance. Support from staff, board members and members of the organisation. Great workplace atmosphere in the office and through the Council. You are able to be creative within the role as well as develop key professional skills. Opportunities to work outside your role and learn about other aspects of the organisation. I made some really close friends here and I only left the role as I was moving away.

Cons

Career progression opportunities are there but perhaps not as accessible or varied as in larger organisations. The nature of the work means you often work in peaks and troughs of workload.

The Institution of Environmental Sciences2020-02-04
  2. "A great small charity and a friendly team which gave me the space and support to develop"

Former Employee - Policy and Communities Officer in London, England

I worked at The Institution of Environmental Sciences full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Significant responsibility and autonomy from the beginning, with the freedom to explore projects that interested me. Working in a small, but growing organisation means there is the potential to shape the role to a certain extent and get involved in a wide range of work that may not be possible in a bigger team. A charity with an exciting aims, which is looking to innovate. A small, friendly and supportive team, with a highly supportive board of trustees.

Cons

Although working in a small organisation has its perks, ultimately career progression is limited. It can also mean all team members are required to chip in with admin and logistical tasks from time to time.

The Institution of Environmental Sciences2019-11-12
  3. "Great place to find your feet in the environmental sector, very friendly workplace"

Former Employee - Publications Officer in Norwich, England

I worked at The Institution of Environmental Sciences full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was given plenty of opportunity to grow over the months I worked at the IES. I was given responsibility immediately, with close support from other team members and the CEO. It is the friendliest place I have ever worked, and the close-knit team are a joy to work with. I gained a lot of confidence working and the IES and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it as a welcoming and professional place to learn and develop. Your skills will grow quickly - the small team naturally means that sometimes you work outside your job description, which I personally found a pro rather than con. The only reason I left the company was because I moved out of London. Thank you for your support and friendship, IES!

Cons

- The small organisation does mean that it would be difficult to progress up the career ladder within the IES - Non-profit salaries

The Institution of Environmental Sciences2019-11-07
  4. "Fantastic opportunity to elevate your skills and immerse yourself in a dynamic and collaborative environment"

Former Employee - Operations & Business Development Lead in London, England

Pros

An abundance of responsibility and trust from day one, giving you the autonomy to carve out your role and elevate your professional skills. The office environment is collaborative and supportive so there are plenty of opportunities to take on duties outside of your scope. There is also strong emphasis and encouragement from management for employees to enhance their professional development both within their role and through additional CPD activities, often compensated by the IES, which is fantastic for a small charity to offer. Personally, the IES afforded me every opportunity to learn, grow and gain confidence, and were empathetic and accommodating throughout my studies and personal difficulties. The team does an excellent job at fostering a culture of thoughtful, intelligent and hard-working people who are always a pleasure to be around. Honestly, I will look back at my experience very fondly and will continue to support the institution throughout the duration of my career. Thank you for everything!

Cons

The small nature of the organisation can make career progression seem harder to achieve although it is certainly not impossible. I personally had four roles in my four years, and many others have received substantial promotions as the organisational structure continues to grow and evolve.

The Institution of Environmental Sciences2019-11-06
  5. "A professional, up to date organisation doing great things in the environmental sector"

Former Intern - Events Assistant in London, England

I worked at The Institution of Environmental Sciences for less than a year

Pros

The modern day organisation is a great space to be in and around if you are looking for a career in the environmental sector. Opportunities to work with world leading and intelligent people in many fields. The small team at the IES is made up of hard working individuals who all share similar passions. The work life balance is an important aspect of the organisation. The organisation is moving steadily forward into the 21st century and all the changes that are present.

Cons

The charitable organisation is doing great things to continue into the future

The Institution of Environmental Sciences2019-11-05
  6. "Great place for bright young professionals to cut their teeth in environmental sector"

Former Employee - Marketing and Events Manager in London, England

Pros

A strong team environment, companies this size are a good place to stretch your legs and see what you’re made of, there is opportunity to work cross function here and if you’re not afraid of working hard you can add quite a lot to your CV in a short space of time. The council members are both lovely and supportive, staff are also encouraged and have much opportunity to grow their network and visibility in the sector. Good office location and Adam (CEO) has always has done well at hiring, friendly and hard working people into the team. I enjoyed my time here.

Cons

As it is a smallish team you will eventually have to move on, it’s not an awful thing but likely you will outgrow the company as there is limited scope for progression so most people move on after 3 years.

The Institution of Environmental Sciences2019-01-24
  7. "Friendly team, lots of responsbility"

I have been working at The Institution of Environmental Sciences

Pros

The team are all welcoming, young, ambitious and smart. Nice culture.

Cons

Small team so you end up doing lots of jobs that aren't necessarily in your job description. Non-profit salaries.

The Institution of Environmental Sciences2017-02-24

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 7 reviews