The LEGO Group Sales Associate Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Niels B. Christiansen
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Lack of work life balance - too many competing priorities" (in 10 reviews)

• "No real opportunities for full-time employment unless going to their headquarters in CT or willing to relocate to another store" (in 13 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I have been working at The LEGO Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked in Westfield London.
    Great environment. Everybody is really nice and friendly.
    Best managers ever.
    Your job is approaching customers which it might seem tricky at the beginning. Specially If you are shy like me. But training is really good and managers helpfuls. After you get used to it you enjoy every single shift there and finish your shift really happy.
    Great staff disscount.
    Best job I've ever had.
    Opportunities for growth

Cons

Some shifts could be longer.

Advice to Management

Keep doing your job like this. You guys are amazing!

2. "Dream Company"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at The LEGO Group part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Above average par rate per hour
    Generous employee discount
    Staff gifts
    Opportunities for retail staff to make suggestions which are reviewed and taken into account by Head Office

Cons

Not a great deal of opportunities to progress at retail level

3. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cardiff, Wales
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cardiff, Wales

I have been working at The LEGO Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Great breaks
    + Great pay
    + Very positive environment
    + Responsible management
    + Fantastic discount rates
    + Lots of care displayed from HQ to store staff

Cons

- Long periods of time on-feet
    - Busy during holidays
    - Lots of interacting with strangers (for shy people)
    - Lots of knowledge required

4. "Great place to work"

Former Contractor - Sales Associate in London, England
    Former Contractor - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at The LEGO Group as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive and friendly work environment
    Staff appreciated for their hard work
    Staff comments are taken into consideration

Cons

Only half an hour break for a 7 and a half hours day of work

5. "Very welcoming"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Manchester, England
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Manchester, England

Pros

Great staff and team with a fun product and great ways to engage with the children that come into store

Cons

Small children everywhere, all the time which can be great but also quite irritating when you have a lot to do

"Great in theory, appalling in practise..."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at The LEGO Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This could be the perfect part-time retail job if everything worked better - it's lively and fun, the products are great and the customers are mostly nice and interesting. Generally, the other sales associates were absolutely lovely too, and I've made some really good friends through working here.

The company values are good in theory, but not in practise. It has potential to be a really enjoyable role, but unfortunately this isn't the case at the store I worked for.

Cons

The way the staff are managed and treated is absolutely awful. This is not just towards myself (I feel as if I got off quite lightly...), but seeing my friends and colleagues being blatantly discriminated against for no apparent reason made me feel uncomfortable working there. Different people were allowed different things, with the managers having their obvious 'favourites' who got the best jobs, whilst others would be landed with the difficult shifts and tasks.

The general way in which things worked here made it difficult to stand unless you know ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING about every product and were hyper-passionate about working at the store despite only being paid the same as any other retail job. The management put way too much pressure on the staff and this results in a stupidly high amount of people leaving.

Advice to Management

Value each individual as a person rather than purely a body that is disposable and easy to replace. Realise that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and that actually a difference in opinion is a GOOD thing. The huge focus on NPS is damaging and really unnecessary - there's no way that this can be a true representation of how the store is doing and it is unfair to judge the sales associates on this.

The stores need to be run in terms of the real world rather than the cloud cuckoo land that the managers seem to live in.

"Slightly enjoyable, however very tiring"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at The LEGO Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment
    Great working as a team

Cons

Very hardworking (some people view this as a good thing, however I thought it was too much - too strict)
    Management could be quite rude and snappy

"Don't listen to the 20th July review. The reality for at least 1 London store for 95% of us follows."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at The LEGO Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The product is fab so it's really easy to be enthusiastic about what you're selling. The job itself can be a lot more fun than most retail jobs. Management has an eye for interesting and fun people (who they suck out dry of life but later in cons) so the social element can be quite good.

Cons

Where to even start? The main con is the management and everything they do really. They use low hour contracts to destabilise and punish people and manipulate behaviour. Not for justifiable reasons, reasons like you said their workshops are boring and you get nothing out of them. If you want people to be stimulated by the workshops and meetings you deliver, improve your material. Many people are not zombies.

Management pick like 4 people they really like because they kiss their behind and clearly sugarcoat how awful and useless they are at their jobs. The rest of you who can't pretend are doomed. Double standards are the only dependable standard for these people.

One of the most insulting things is management pretend how important they are, or forget how small their stores are or that it definitely is mostly just a job, especially that people do part time. We go home and carry on with our lives, and go be human elsewhere. Not allowed at Lego Retail. Instead of being honest that you're probably pursuing something else, but can lend your skills and develop some new ones at a job you mostly have to make money, they want you to act like they cure cancer and are at the forefront of world politics. You are just lucky to be in their presence.

I could write a book for this section, but don't trust the positive review. You may be of the 5 people lucky enough to be treated like a human with skills and talents like that person. If you're not willing to pretend that Lego Retail is not the be all end all of life, good luck. Also to management who will read this, pretending like corporate are "jealous" of retail is a JOKE. Someone working for core Lego group would never swap places with a retail job in a million years. (yep, they actually try to sell this to you - that someone with job stability and better benefits would rather be you haha)

Advice to Management

I would change the management to people with empathy, a grip on reality and business and management savvy altogether. I realise most of these people are probably doing better things than retail management though, so that's a tall order.

"Awkward."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I have been working at The LEGO Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent, above minimum wage.
    You get some really lovely customers upon occasion.
    Discount is good, if you're into that kind of thing.

Cons

Online training is unnecessarily long and pointless.
    Very clique-y.
    Parents don't control their children and you end up feeling like a childminder. Parents left their kids in store for HOURS without supervision.
    Say they promote individuality etc, but you don't get to express your own personality as a staff member.
    Ridiculous policies and scripts to follow.
    Awkward tension at all times between staff.
    My manager in particular was really offensive and rude.

Advice to Management

Don't look down on people. Let people play to their strengths.

"Worked at Lego store"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, England

I worked at The LEGO Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good atmosphere to work in.
    - Working there will help you come out of your shell if you're a shy person.
    - You get proper training on how to be customer focused.
    - You get to play with Lego all day everyday.
    - Work days can be really good if you're with the right people.

Cons

- The pay isn't worth the amount of work that is expected of you, especially that your work and efforts are not really recognised.
    - Excessively increased hours even if you only intended to work part time so your work life balance can get thrown off.

Advice to Management

Put people where they are their strongest e.g if people are good at being on the shop floor, don't keep putting them at the back to do deliveries and vice versa.