The Mark Travel Corporation Employee Reviews about "peak season"

Updated 23 Jan 2017

3.7
The Mark Travel Corporation Chairman, President, CEO, and COO William E. La Macchia (no image)
William E. La Macchia
Pros
  • "The Core Values are true to who the organization is(in 18 reviews)

• "Awesome team members and managers(in 10 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "peak season"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "good company to work for if you like being on the phone."

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time

Pros

unlimited overtime. free lunches sometimes. opportunity to advance after 6 months

Cons

mandatory overtime at peak season. you dont get paid commission for the sales that you make. also if there is a hurricane going on they dont pay you to stay home. it come out of your check

February 22, 2017SVP-Human Resources and Corporate Counsel

Hello and thank you for your feedback. We're definitely proud of our Customer Care team. Their talent and skill sets are highly sought after which is why we've had so many advance to other areas of the company and build their careers. I understand why mandatory overtime is deemed a con. With peak season the beginning of the year, those phones are busy! We truly appreciate the hard work and dedication of this team. As we make clear in the recruiting process, Customer Care is not a commission sales position. However, we do offer incentives throughout the year. We are looking at ways to further enhance the incentive programs. I have to admit I do not understand your statement that if there's a hurricane going on, we don't pay you but it comes out of your check.There must be a misunderstanding as we do not dock anyone's pay if there is a circumstance where the office is closed due to weather issues. If you believe that your pay was docked, you need to contact Payroll immediately. It is unfortunate that misleading information as this is posted in a public forum, so it is important you contact Payroll right away with further details. As for your advice, we are always seeking out ways for us to be better and to hire and retain talent. As you said in the "pros" there's plenty of opportunity to advance. I hope that you also act upon the advice that you gave and work with us on ways to improve in this and other areas. Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback. I hope to hear from you directly. Kind regards, Jennifer La Macchia

"500 Customer Support Team"

4.0
    Current Employee - Customer Support Team 500 Club in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

I joined the company a little less than a year and half ago with no travel background at all. I'm so grateful to have a wonderful team of trainers, supervisors, managers, and co workers that have always offered me guidance and support in each of my roles. In the short time that I've been with company I've really established a strong sense of pride in our end to end vision and what our customers mean to us. The company is very wellness oriented and offers a number of great resources to its employees year round. We have our own Wellness Ambassador that everyone knows by name. We have wellness action day once a year which is the company's way to allow us to focus on our wellness and show their appreciation for the work we do. We have an annual Benefits Enrollment meeting in which our HR department takes the time to sit down with every employee to educate them. I think one of the company's biggest strengths is Management. The group of supervisors and managers in Milwaukee our all so hard working and dedicated, they never shy away from helping no matter what the issue may be. They set the bar for customer service which has allowed me to learn and grow as team member within LME.

Cons

Peak season is a majority of the year and requires long hours. However, that was made clear during the interview process. There is flexibility with your extra hours so you have the option to manage your schedule during peak season.

February 22, 2017SVP-Human Resources and Corporate Counsel

Hi and thank you for your feedback. I apologize that I've been so far behind on my replies. I am happy to hear that you feel so supported here at LME. I am grateful that you've shared this as I truly believe that is what we are about as a company. I said down in another reply, being so busy is a good problem to have but it can make things very difficult for our team members. We can always improve how we operate and it's important for our team's voices to be heard. We are looking into ways how we can operate more efficiently, with more flexibility for our team members without sacrificing the industry-leading customer service we provide to our customers and travel agents. What we need more of to do this is to hear from our team directly. Suggestions, concerns, ideas - we need them. Sometimes our team members think that nothing will come of it, but we can point to many areas we've improved because our team members made an effort to voice their concerns and ideas. We can only improve when we know what the issues are. Keep talking to us and we hope that you continue to feel the same way you did at the time you wrote this! All my best, Jennifer La Macchia

"cst"

1.0
    Former Employee - Ccs in Orlando, FL

I worked at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get to work a lot of overtime and have no choice. You get a one night stay on your birthday at a hotel if it not a black out season.

Cons

No room for growth at Orlando. You have to be on the phone only off at break, long work hours. Mandatory overtime added to your schedule from January to September during peak season. The staff is untrained and travel agents are rude and allowed to speak down to the reps. No ongoing training, Old computer system, which is slow and time consuming, needs modern technology.

Continue reading
  4. "Great Growth Opportunities!"

4.0
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Its a great environment to work in, we have a diverse group of people working for the company. It looks like the average office building on the inside.There are a lot of creative and positive vibes from the people in the office which keeps the environment exciting. We have new faces in the office often,but the majority of people hired stay with the company. Its easy to move to different departments in the company so we have the opportunity for growth. Mark Travel is all about promoting from within the company, that's always important! My team leader is very helpful and knowledgeable. She lets us know when we are doing well and is very thoughtful of her team. There are many nice Leaders that i have met besides her. It is very easy to talk to HR, our HR manager is in the call center every Thursday and she is very helpful with any issues or questions that have come up. I feel we have an extremely lenient attendance policy. It is surprising to me that this is our largest cause for people getting "terminated". I believe everyone is allowed 3 late days or early departures before they get an " occurrence" and 3 personal days? something along those lines! From my understanding, once you get three occurrences then you will get terminated. But i am not positive as it has not happened to me. It is a large company, but family owned. They family members are often around the buildings. It gives a reassuring feel to know that they care about our work environment. we often have people who work in marketing or in our product team come in the call center. They listen to calls to see how we use the system, common issues that agents come across and other improvements that could be made. I have noticed many improvements with our system since i have started. we also get to learn about the hotels and tour companies in person! suppliers visit often we get cards, magazines, key chains, and other things to promote their product. Overall we have many friendly and outgoing employees. It's wonderful to work with such nice people!

Cons

I know that within the last couple years we have had to hire new supervisors in the reservations department. I am not sure if it is because the reservations agents were not interested in applying for those positions or if it was better for our company to have a different perspective. I think that it would be great if some of the newer supervisors in the call center had more experience with how to use the system. This way they would be able to assist when call volumes are high. We are not allowed to take Un-paid time off. I was told "only when it is being offered". It has not been offered for the last two years. Some employees have said they feel we only are recognized for our mistakes or when something is wrong. I can understand why they feel this way, but it is to be expected with large companies. While the system we work with has improved, we often have technical issues with our phones or with the booking system. It is especially hard on the front line because it can cause frustration for them and the clients. It can be very difficult to work 46+ hours when you have a family or anything else going on in your life. These hours are mandatory during Peak-Season. I don't know about other departments, but in reservations they only offer specific hours for us to select. Usually falling in the evening or on the weekends. For those who work closing shift, they often are required to work 6-7 days a week with they availability they give us.

February 9, 2015Human Resources

Hello and thank you for sharing so much insight on what it's like to work at TMTC! We are so glad to hear your leader and HR Manager are accessible and helpful. Be sure to share that feedback with them directly, too! We are pleased you see the benefits of having others listen in on calls, and hope to continue encouraging that across the organization. We appreciate your feedback on the Customer Care leadership, policies and system, and have shared this feedback internally. Our leadership team understands the challenges of peak season hours. Scheduling and mandatory hours are based on customer needs and call volume during this season, so we appreciate our representatives like you who work hard through this time. Be sure to look for things like the recognition board, hot chocolate day, etc.! Thanks again for sharing your feedback. We welcome it at any time, so keep talking with your leader and HR Manager!

5. "Great Company"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

i love this company. while no company is perfect the mark travel is a place i recommend all my friends to apply for. the pay is great. yes we have to do mandatory overtime working in the call center, but we are only open until 9pm, iv worked for places that make you work overtime in the middle of the night, also for the mandatory overtime it is only 4-8 hours, and we get the pick when we want to do it. that is only 1.5 extra hours a day if you chose. the overtime is also unlimited when it is offered, they dont care how much you work. i have many colleges at other companies who wished their company offered overtime they way Mark travel does. full time and part time employees get paid holidays. The dress code is casual, an sometimes i do see people wearing questionable things but i come to work to do my job. I get paid to sit at a desk and talk to people all day, and while that can get frustrating at times, i understand that the job in the call center is one of the most important in the company. we get great discounts on our travel. its really hard to get fired here. mostly i hear people are let go because of attendance, and the attendance policy is one of the most flexible ones for corperate america. there are oppertunities for advancement all the time, we are constantly being cross trained in different areas. the company gives us lunch, makes us smoothies, we have family events, we have a wellness coach, the owners are very friendly and can be seen on the property. i feel safe at work, i have wonderful co workers, we get paid extra on the weekends. the reviews i have read have been an insult to the company. how can you work for a comapny for 10 years OF YOUR OWN WILL , and walk away with only negative things to say/ the company has paid you to do a job and 10 years is a long time to waste on a job you only give 2 stars. This job does have its cons, as any job will, but nothing about this job makes me want to quit. this company has been around for over 40 years, and was started in little Milwaukee, Wi and has survived through economic hardships. i am very blessed to have this job and i appreciate the overall benefits that the LaMacchias offer their workers.

Cons

i think a con working in the call center is not getting commission, and i do not mean to sound greedy as the pay is very decent. it gets very frustrating booking vacations for clients and travel agents, with no commission, but if the travel agent booked it they would get comission on a package for the same cost. another con is that supervisiors do not know how to help us when we need it. the company hires people with no experience instead of promoting customer service reps to supervisor, as a customer service rep, we have the most contact with the clients and we deal with so many differnet situations that we would make great supervisors people who work at the company for long times get to do things differently, they dont always follow the same procedures as new hires, and as a new hire, i have witnessed many situation where a older worker was able to get away with something that a newer worker was not allowed to do. the customer care 2 reps are very rude, they need better customer service training. they act like because they speak with us internally that they do not need to provide the same level of service to us and that is not okay. although in the interview process they do advise us of a changing schedule, and we get our schedules 3 weeks in advance, it would be nice to have set schedules, there are so many departments that only work monday - friday and at the same set time, working in the call center, you can close all week then the next open then the nest do mid shifts/ also it is a con that your schedule can be changed at anytime to, but you dont have the same luxury when requesting a schedule change. for people with families that can be difficult. the over time is awesome, but i dont think its fair to only offer it when its convient to the company, if i have a 40 hr shift and my friend wants to give me one of their shifts, i cannot take it if it means im working more than 40 hours (if its not peak season)

"Reservations"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Pros

1) Vendors bring free lunches. 2) Only way to get fired is to have attendance issues or be non-compliant. 3) Once you are in the company the application process for other positions could be easy depending on what you are transferring to.

Cons

1) Big brother is watching - they watch everything you do from monitoring every call, to supervisors doing rounds around the desks, and regimenting your breaks. 2) Mistakes get far more attention than your achievements do. 3) Constant technical issues with the system causes angry calls and further frustrates attempts to resolve issues. 4) The message of wellness is really in the interest of keeping employees well enough to come to work. Mandatory overtime sometimes up to 8-10 hours over a 40 minimum hour a week schedule during peak season - requires health. Not having much of a personal life does not fit a model of wellness. 5) If you get promoted they will not tell you how much you will make until you accept the position. 6) Not allowed to take breaks or lunches with co-workers purposely. If it happens by accident great - if not, you can get reprimanded (your schedule belongs to the company). 7) Supervisors know little about your job - they don't know the policies and get frustrated when you ask them for help. They prefer for you to call Customer Support and they sometimes don't know. 8) Policies and product descriptions are not clear sometimes and instead of fixing it - people cast blame back on those who question for clarity.

December 9, 2014Human Resources

Hello, Thank you for expressing your concerns to us. We see that you are a current employee and encourage you to bring your concerns to your HR Manager. We do have a process for internal promotions and moves, and this includes sharing all pertinent information (including the offer amount) in the offer. If this process was not followed, we do encourage you to follow up. Our Customer Care schedule is something we try to communicate up front so team members understand their schedule will change and will require some weekend time. We schedule this way because of the coverage needed in the call centers. We also want to clarify that our wellness program has allowed us to keep health insurance premiums from increasing for the last seven years. Our program aims to provide our team members and families with opportunities to feel empowered and become/stay well with the resources we provide. Our wellness program is what helps us keep benefits costs low, in turn keeping your insurance premiums low. Thank you again for sharing your concerns. We hope we were able to shed some light on your concerns, but again, we do encourage you to work with your HR Manager to address other issues.

Viewing 1 - 5 of 6 English Reviews