The Midcounties Co-operative Reviews

Found 94 of over 150 reviews

3.8
The Midcounties Co-operative Group CEO Phil Ponsonby
Phil Ponsonby
Pros
  • "Lots of hours available and good range of benefits including staff discount(in 5 reviews)

• "10 discount(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Processes in place but not always followed by Senior management(in 6 reviews)

• "No opportunity to progress within the company unless you’re best friends with higher management(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Review

Nov 19, 2021 - Head of Corporate Communications in Warwick, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Democratic, Open, Equality, Socially Responsible

Cons

I have none to report

2. 4.0

Overall good

Nov 4, 2021 - Shift Supervisor in Oxford, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Always good working environment and a good team

Cons

Soul destroying and not enough challenge.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Review

Nov 14, 2021 - Nursery Nurse in Dewsbury, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits are really good, discounts, offers, yearly vouchers etc .

Cons

Have you work long hours, do not get over time payment it has to be taken in lui (owed back) but never got round to it.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee

Okay company for starter in retail management

Nov 7, 2021 - Team Leader in Swindon, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Generally the managers are flexible in working hours 10% staff discount, 20% on payday weekends

Cons

No way to progress with the change of management structure Hours between 6am and 10pm, often expected to work late shifts to opens

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Relaxed Working Environment

Oct 19, 2021 - Customer Service Assistant in Finchampstead, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Worked with a really friendly, like-minded team of people, both young and older. The atmosphere was always quite laid back, but professional in front of customers.

Cons

Whilst the work wasn't too difficult, you are required to spend long periods of time standing on minimum breaks - often unable to sit down on breaks as well.

Resourcing Business Analyst

Thank you for taking your time to leave a review. It is great to hear that you had a positive experience whilst working in our Retail sector and that you had worked alongside great colleagues, within a balanced working atmosphere. We will feedback your comments about breaks to our central operations team. We wish you all the best in your career.

6. 4.0

Decent Entry level job

Aug 25, 2021 - Customer Service Assistant in Northampton, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Alright pay, nice people, overtime available.

Cons

The same as every other retail job

Resourcing Business Analyst

Thank you for taking your time to leave a review. We are glad to hear that you have enjoyed the benefits of working in our Retail group. We want to ensure that every colleague has a great experience within our stores. A year ago, we launched our Career framework to wider colleagues in the Society which helps us to understand where our roles sit within different levels and families. It is a great tool for anyone looking to develop their career within the Society, whether it's their existing field that they are in or elsewhere. You can speak to your manager if you wish to discuss development or you can access the Learning & Development page on Colleagues Connect for more information. We hope you continue to enjoy working at Midcounties.

7. 4.0

does good things

Aug 5, 2021 - Insight Analyst in Warwick, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

ethical company, does good things

Cons

limited development,. but thats it

Resourcing Business Analyst

Thank you for leaving a review. Our values are at the core of everything that we do, from supporting the local communities in our trading areas to working to achieve social and environmental responsibility. We encourage all colleagues and members to deliver our values. We launched our Career framework in the last year that will help colleagues to understand where their roles sit in terms of levels and families. This will also help colleagues to under where they can strive for in terms of progression, either in their current field of work or elsewhere in the Society. You can access this information on the Learning & Development section on Colleagues Connect. You will also be able to view information about personal development plans and how you can develop your own Career. We hope you continue to enjoy working at Midcounties Co-operative.

8. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

So much potential, however lacking in quality senior management

Aug 18, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Royal Leamington Spa, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good intentions with regards to doing the right thing as far as colleague and member engagement. Strong focus on the businesses impact on the environment. Mixture of different business types with opportunities to move between them and develop.

Cons

I've never worked in such a place where the Senior management act so inappropriately, so blue and white collar. Talking down and over people, walking in a room and clicking fingers at individuals to get them to drop what they were doing to do what they wanted i.e. make a certain senior manager a tea!! All they wanted was yes men / women. Whilst general employee benefits are reasonable the company pension scheme is extremely poor. Whilst the business does have several different business units (at the time I was there there was: - Food, Travel, Childcare, Energy, Funeral & Pharmacy), I worked in Energy at the time, but as this business was struggling had a high influence from the Mid-Counties Senior management team. Many of which had little or no energy experience and quiet often would ignore advise from specialists.

1 person found this review helpful

Resourcing Business Analyst

Thank you for taking your time to leave a review. We are sorry to hear that you did not have the best experience as a colleague at Midcounties Co-operative. We have passed your feedback to the relevant individuals in HR so that they can be looked into further. We would want to make sure that all of our colleagues feel that they are appreciated, wherever they work and part of that is ensuring that senior managers are supportive of their colleagues. We wish you all the best in your Career.

9. 5.0

Amazing

Jul 21, 2021 - Customer Service Assistant in Bream, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lovely people to work for

Cons

Hours aren't split evenly between all staff

Resourcing Business Analyst

Thank you for taking your time to leave a review. We are glad to hear that you are having a positive working experience in one of our newest Food stores! We would want to make sure that all of our colleagues enjoy working with their fellow teammates as well as serving their customers and local communities. Working hours should be applied based on a colleague's availability. If you do feel that you are not receiving enough hours, please raise this with your manager in the first instance. We hope you continue to enjoy working at Bream Foodstore.

10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

A Good Co-operative

Jul 6, 2021 - Manager in Warwick, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Co-operation, annual leave ok, progressive organisation

Cons

Isolated bullying from rogue exec, could be fixed though with a saving of circa £150k pa.

Resourcing Business Analyst

Thank you for taking your time to leave a review. We are glad that you found Midcounties to be a progressive organisation and we are always working to instil our values within the Society. We are disappointed to read your comments regarding an exec member. We take any comments about bullying very seriously and would value the opportunity to talk to you more to understand your experience. You can contact our Head of Colleague Relations, Nick Porter at nick.porter@midcounties.coop. We wish you all the best in your Career.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 94 Reviews