The National Trust Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.3
The National Trust Chairman Tim Parker
Tim Parker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good pay (if you're a student) and friendly working environment" (in 9 reviews)

• "You'll generally be lucky enough to work with a great team of people, who work hard but know how to have fun" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "No benefits for working bank holidays or Sundays" (in 4 reviews)

• "At some properties upper management don't seem to care, long hours, and at some properties there is a lack of recognition" (in 3 reviews)

1. "A great customer facing and team job role"

I worked at The National Trust part-time

Pros

No day is ever the same working within the catering team, and it's always lovely to be able to have a positive impact on customers visiting The National Trust

Cons

Sometimes work can be hectic! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Advice to Management

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The National Trust Response

11 Jun 2018 – Resourcing Specialist

Thanks for your review, really glad to hear you had a great time working with our Food and Beverage team, best of luck in the future!

2. "Great variety of places and opportunities"

I have been working at The National Trust full-time

Pros

Good progression, opportunities and working pursuing good values

Cons

the wage they offer is not balance to the cost of living of the area

3. "Each place is different"

Current Employee - Housekeeping Manager
    Current Employee - Housekeeping Manager

I have been working at The National Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great development opportunities, work at the right property and they really care for your development, good benefits, working with positive people

Cons

Advice to Management

No advice as I believe you'll find these problems at most work places

4. "Run as if 1890s or 1980s but definitely not 2018"

Former Employee - Visitor Services Assistant
    Former Employee - Visitor Services Assistant

I worked at The National Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lovely locations and special places of interest, lots of friendly customers interaction, free membership

Cons

Managers rarely have the skills and experience to run effectively and efficiently in commercial world. Poor communication and co-ordination results in politics and lack of team building and co-operation. Organisation prioritised over customer needs.

"Great job all in all but teams are very unstaffed and under resourced!"

I have been working at The National Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful working environments.

Lovely people to work with.

Good training.

Good organisational culture at Regional and National Level.

Good values.

Cons

Not much ability to progress or relocate as jobs don't come up much.

Teams are under resourced and understaffed.

Ever increasing hours and expectations to work weekends, bank holidays and holiday periods.

Poor Salary with no pay for over time, expected to work for time in lieu that you never get back.

Mid management and lower are treated poorly and expected to carry out the bulk of the work.

Lower grade staff are expected to work at a much higher level than in other organisations for very low comparative wages.

Each property follows its own rules, the top of the organisation is very disconnected from what actually happens on the ground.

Very unsupportive of personal circumstances such as doctors appointments etc, due to the fact not enough staff to run properties.

Commercial projects are the driving force of everything for the Trust now, very little focus on conservation and back log.

364 Opening is destroying houses, collections and NT Staff.

Advice to Management

Sort out the resourcing issues and the Trust will be a great place for everyone.

"Overall good, but pay not great"

Current Employee - Retail
    Current Employee - Retail

I have been working at The National Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful surroundings, great team of people (mostly) to work with
    Good benefits (discount plus free membership)
    Varied job, training and new skills encouraged
    Flexibility on working days (though not times)

Cons

Pay isn't great, particularly for amount of work actually expected
    Retail/Catering supervisors expected to essentially run departments but on much lower hourly wage than department heads.
    No fixed work pattern - no extra incentive for bank hols etc
    Can take a long time to get issues resolved - having to go through various offsite helpdesks etc

Advice to Management

Look at lower pay bands.
    Expectations of a supervisor vs salary are completely removed from high street etc

7. "Catering Assistant"

Former Employee - Catering Assistant in Charlecote, England
    Former Employee - Catering Assistant in Charlecote, England

I worked at The National Trust part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly colleagues. Beautiful location. Opportunity to engage in a variety of catering tasks. Management respected you and valued your opinion and progression.

Cons

Catering was let down by the lack of restaurant facilities which led to complaints on behalf of the customers.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Visitor Services Manager in Dorchester, South West England, England

I have been working at The National Trust full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team and work setting. Lovely volunteers. Staff perks are ok.

Cons

Budget targets set too high, extremely difficult to get things done or repaired. Money wasted on big corporate days when it could be used to get rid of repairs back log. Low pay for expectations.

Advice to Management

Male staff feel more valued. Invest in operational requirements and listen to people on the ground. Increase pay for grades.

"Squeezed Out"

Former Employee - Holidays Operative in Callington, England
    Former Employee - Holidays Operative in Callington, England

I worked at The National Trust part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I think the 20% off in the shop and holiday cottage bookings is an incentive for employees. However, the cottage prices are extortionate so employees can get something similar for less money anyway.

Cons

They expect to underpin their charity status by employing people on a low wage and have hidden expectations of employees for which they do not offer remuneration. They see this as having a "can do" attitude, ie. you must give up your own time and efforts for free to get on. You also have to be at their beck and call every day as all the cottages can be let on imminent short lets basis.

Advice to Management

It became most apparent that I was to be squeezed out after I had refused to take dirty bedding/towels/kitchen linen into my home after cleaning a cottage. My manager expected me to do this to save them paying my petrol to return it to the linen store. Having worked for the NHS for 8 years I know enough about infection control to know I don't want other people's dirty linen in my house. When I refused to take the linen home I received an email telling me I was being "obstructive" and that the manager wanted staff with a "can do attitude". The email also suggested I reflect on whether the job was right for me! Then when I put in my petrol claim for travel to a cottage it was questioned. I was only to be paid for 4 miles whilst my colleague doing exactly the same journey was paid for 5! The journey is indeed 5 miles. I am 54 four years of age and do not like being treated like a schoolchild, I can hand on heart say I have never worked anywhere like it. There should be equal opportunities for all staff - that is the law. Management need to know that this sort of management approach is archaic and could end up with them being taken to a tribunal for constructive dismissal. I can't be bothered, its not worth the hassle. I always used to think highly of National Trust but I now see them very differently in the light of my experience. I think I've had a lucky escape.

"Bulling is the norm in the trust"

I have been working at The National Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay isnt to bad. There is some great people you will work with. You get to work in some very beautiful locations.

Cons

Bulling is key to the national trust. If they don't like you they will use bullying tactics to make you leave. They have made me feel so bad about myself that I'm at breaking point. They know it but still carry on. My manger is on a power trip as new to the role. But with a head of department pulling the strings. I know some will say you feel this way report it but I know it will make it worse for me. They are bullying to the extent I'm having thoughts of self harm and worse again. But there OK with this and keep on pushing its basically keep going till you give in and leave yourself. If they want you out but they have nothing solid on you they will get you on any small thing.

Advice to Management

You need to see that bulling happens alot in the trust look at what staff are saying. You must see there has to be something in it. Your allowing bulling to go on with staff being very little to protect them self and say how they feel. Trust me I have tried to say how I feel to them but they push it back on you and have an answer to come back on. The management can bully staff and your allowing it to continue.