The Open University Associate Lecturer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.0
The Open University Vice-Chancellor Peter Horrocks
Peter Horrocks

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great company to work, the work-life balance is excellent" (in 13 reviews)

• "Always used to be a good working environment and supportive colleagues" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management like headless chickens" (in 9 reviews)

• "Bullying culture, micro-management, not a lot of support and no opportunities for career progression" (in 8 reviews)

1. "A great paid hobby with a fantastic organisation!"

Current Employee - Associate Lecturer in Telford, England
    Current Employee - Associate Lecturer in Telford, England

I have been working at The Open University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Able to work from home. Great experiences helping students learn.

Cons

Poor pay considering the hours spent

Advice to Management

Listen to the needs of associate lecturers more

2. "A culture of bullying & lowering academic standards"

Former Employee - Associate Lecturer
    Former Employee - Associate Lecturer

I worked at The Open University part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Academic, higher education, online employment possible

Cons

Decline in academic input; gross staff bullying; lack of scientific knowledge in management.

Oh, what a decline over a decade. I am a biologist. When I started the academic standard was high with courses designed & managed by top notch researchers to high academic standards. Dialogue was as one would expect in a scientific environment. Gradually, that changed. Course management devolved to those without any relevant research experience; "new" courses were cobbled together from the fragments of old, without cohesion. Physical books were more or less dropped as tuition fees went sky high, losing the OU almost all of its lifelong learning contingent.

Worse, ideas came to be perceived as criticism & witch-hunts all too prevalent in an environment where respect for the associate lecturer became conspicuous by its absence. As an example, in my case, using the OU much-vaunted anti-bullying procedures, I found the issue dealt with by management who undertook a clandestine character assassination program. When I requested nearby venues for hearings, as I do have life-impacting but unseen disabilities, this resulted in a covert challenge that these disabilities were presented only after my complaint was made. I'm still trying to work out the rationale there but it was widely touted, including to my union rep & raised unwarranted questions over my integrity. And yes, I have it on record.

I left - I have 3 degrees in science & adult further/higher education but the illogical lack of support made the work a thankless task, to say the least. And there was no reason for it at all, as (in common with most out-posted staff) I worked considerably in excess of paid hours & was completely dedicated to my work & loyal to the OU in my dealings with tutees.

There is little left of the OU of old, which even then had a rather low academic reputation in comparison with mainstream, traditional, universities. Online education has become widespread & competition considerable. The OU all but abandoned its advantages of personal teaching & summer schools & dropped many of its science courses in my time with them. The introduction of inflexible marking schemes made it difficult to mark fairly, enforcing marks for inadequate answers & failing to allow credit for exceptional work. Pass thresholds were reduced. This fails to satisfy the basic educational tenet the marks awarded should reflect achievement - or lack of it. In case you wonder, providing the marks themselves was a comparatively minor (if essential) aspect of the associate lecturer role, which involved extensive student feedback.

I find it difficult to perceive what advantage the OU offers students in an increasingly competitive field in which major universities have an increasing input.

Advice to Management

Well - put your house in order.

3. "Great job"

Current Employee - Associate Lecturer in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at The Open University part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Freedom empowered energising, independent full of joys of teaching motivated students

Cons

Solitary because you are working at a distance

Advice to Management

More face to face interaction with students

"Insecure and chaotic, but rewarding work"

Current Employee - Associate Lecturer in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at The Open University part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Get to teach earnest, conscientious students, mainly home based so flexible as work to own timetable, occasionally get to meet students at face-to-face tutorials, fee waivers for university study, free access to online journals

Cons

Really isolating as work solo, rarely get to meet colleagues and discuss work; no career progression in fact the opposite as increasing redundancies; in 7 years still in the same position teaching the same module regardless of effort; career development opportunities non-existent; expected to do a lot of work unpaid.

Advice to Management

Consider your lecturers' other commitments before upping the workload, offer more opportunities for research, offer more opportunities for ALs to meet socially every now and again.

5. "Associate Lecturer"

Former Employee - Associate Lecturer in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - Associate Lecturer in Birmingham, England

I worked at The Open University part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You count! The impact that you can have on providing life-changing opportunities for people who did not have the chance to go to university via the traditional route

Cons

The OU is charging, and whilst change is inevitable in all walks of life, it is having a major impact on the fundamental values that underpinned an OU learning experience.

Advice to Management

Remember the USPs that set the OU apart from the rest and made it the 'national treasure' that it became. Staff were proud to work for it, not because it paid well but simply because it was the OU!

6. "Associate lecturer"

Current Employee - Associate Lecturer in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at The Open University part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Can work from home, can study for free, a nice community to be part of

Cons

Job insecurity, high expectations of students, low rate of pay

Advice to Management

Improve job security for associate lecturers

7. "Great values, poor security"

Current Contractor - Associate Lecturer
    Current Contractor - Associate Lecturer

I have been working at The Open University as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's great to work for an institution that has values I share. I am proud of the OU's history of making education accessible to all. The teaching and learning materials are second to none and I have learnt a huge amount working for the OU for 14 years.

Cons

The role of the Associate Lecturer is undervalued and poorly paid despite us the key drivers of the education opportunities offered by the OU and the only person many students ever interact with.

Advice to Management

Work hard to keep your best ALs, Give permanent central contracts and use our skills more creatively. Without the ALs you will have no OU.

8. "Great institution, good employer"

Current Employee - Associate Lecturer in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Associate Lecturer in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at The Open University (Less than a year)

Pros

Independence, respect, interesting work, good communications

Cons

I have enjoyed every minute of working for the OU so I cannot come up with a con. Sorry.

9. "Associate Lecturer - Great place to work"

Former Employee - Associate Lecturer in Southampton, England
    Former Employee - Associate Lecturer in Southampton, England

I worked at The Open University part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Always felt very supported and valued by university hierarchy
    Materials I taught from were excellent
    I loved working with the range of students and how motivated they were
    Central support services e.g. For disabled students were great
    University ethos was exemplary in its dedication to helping everyone do well - staff as well as students.

Cons

Marking times were enormous - much longer than allowed for in salary calculations.

Advice to Management

Make allowances for marking time more realistic and try to pay ALs more as a result.
    Otherwise, a fine institution and one I was proud to work for.

10. "Associate Lecturer role"

Former Employee - Associate Lecturer in London, England
    Former Employee - Associate Lecturer in London, England

I worked at The Open University (More than 8 years)

Pros

High social status because the OU is a well regarded institution with a strong collaboration with the BBC and has many current and former students.
    Lots of autonomy as an Associate Lecturer in carrying out duties. Collegiate relationship wiith other staff members. Flexibility of working hours.

Cons

The majority of time is spent doing marking and writing feedback. Marking and feedback takes much longer in practice than the formally contracted hours nominally imply. So a salary with an hourly rate of about £16 per hour may in practice work out as less than £10 per hour.

Advice to Management

Increase salaries (or contracted hours) for Associate Lecturers on courses to reflect the actual length of time that marking typically takes, rather than a nominal time for a 'perfect assignment'.