The Open University Research Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

The Open University Vice-Chancellor Peter Horrocks
Peter Horrocks
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I found there was a great emphasis on work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Excellent IT systems to enable work from home (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Bullying culture, micro-management, not a lot of support and no opportunities for career progression (in 7 reviews)

• Sometimes people in Milton Keynes make stupid decisions but that happens anywhere (in 5 reviews)

1. "Getting worked in"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Milton Keynes, England

Pros

1) The infrastructure is amazing. I have access to all material I need, without having to improvise. In the places I had to find workarounds for unavailable material due to budget, here I have everything I need (for now)
    2) Good support staff: general administration and research administration are really helpful and very friendly.
    3) Good working place: water, microwave and those kinds of things help to make life at campus a bit more comfortable.

Cons

1) Like many universities in the UK, it is outside the city on a dedicated campus. That makes it isolated from city life and it becomes a dead place after 5pm. It would be good to move at least some parts to the city centre. Not only will that boost interaction with non-university people, it will boost local commerce as well.
    2) Although there is a bank at the campus, there is no ATM. I had to find out the hard way last week when I did not have cash with me.
    3) At the moment no other complaints. I will have to see what happens in the future of course.

Advice to Management

Try to move some parts to the city centre. There are some empty offices in the centre so filling those up would have a positive effect on the city.
    I have not met with senior management so the 4 stars are a bit random: At the moment I am very positive about the place.

2. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Milton Keynes, England

Pros

Very friendly, comfortable work environment, lots of opportunities to enhance your qualifications along with working full-time.

Cons

Salaries are not as competitive as commercial sector.

Advice to Management

Consider paying more to keep the talent around.