The RealReal Employee Reviews about "high school"

Updated 1 Oct 2020

The RealReal Founder & CEO Julie Wainwright
Julie Wainwright
Pros
  • "Free lunch program available for employees(in 33 reviews)

• "I was looking for a full time position after I graduated college and really wanted to work for The RealReal(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "They make the workplace feel like high school all over again(in 29 reviews)

• "Narcissism is rampant among upper management(in 25 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "high school"

Return to all Reviews

"..."

Former Employee - Account Luxury Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at The RealReal full-time

Pros

Company is dedicated to sustainability

Cons

Mean girl environment, felt like high school

"I liked it"

4.0
    Former Employee - Client Account Representative in New York, NY

I worked at The RealReal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work culture, Fully stocked refrigerators, catering, and snacks every week, benefits were good also. Close-knit teams.

Cons

Unrealistic quotas, too many team changes within Inside Sales, If you are looking for an "adult job", I would consider this more of a high school environment.

3. COVID-19

"politics and keeping up appearances"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The RealReal full-time

Pros

good place to work if you're politically favored or if you can create the illusion that you're action-driven. merit/talent optional.

Cons

whoever said this was high school all over again should have said middle school. if you fall out of favor (for any random reason or perception) you'll get ostracized and get shoved aside fast. comp sucks too - salary and bonus in many roles are below market. i also heard they gave all their covid layoffs only 1 week severance - that's just mean.

4. COVID-19

"Heading Downhill Even Before COVID"

Former Employee - Copywriter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The RealReal full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best thing to come out working here has been meeting some of the great people who were also distracted by the smoke and mirrors. Free bagels that have been threatened to be taken away.

Cons

Where to begin. I was really looking forward to the experience when I first started working at TRR. However, on my first day, I was shown that what I was promised in my interview would not be possible for a very long time. - I was told by a manager that I was a star employee because I "kept quiet" - A promotion had been dangled in front of my face multiple times, but it became clear it wasn't coming as I was doing the job at my current hourly salary. - Extremely high turnover rate - It's clear that even though a couple of members of HR want to make it a better place, other members of the staff will take the side of management over people at a lower level - I watched on numerous occasions a number of managers yelling at employees in front of other employees - There have been multiple occasions where managers congregate near lower employees' desks and gossip about members of their teams quite loudly. - It really is like high school

"better be thick skinned"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The RealReal full-time for more than a year

Pros

- If you're a fashion lover, it's fun to work and being surrounded by beautiful pieces of clothing. - Nice to be surrounded by young fellow individuals who are also like-minded in terms of fashion. - Work on your own. You can just pop your airpods and listen to music or podcasts during your entire shift. - Great benefits. I don't have a dog but pet insurance is offered! 401k as well

Cons

- Management: So messy. They make the workplace feel like high school all over again. - Favoritism: Need I say more. - Quantity over Quality: They push hard for you to go over and beyond quota. - Unfair: I keep to myself and do all the work I need to do, yet still get picked on. Better to be thick skinned because if you don't care, then great. - Work is repetitive. This could either be a pro or con, depending on what kind of person you are. - Environment: It's quite cliquey. Overall, it's a great company that still has a lot of growing to do. They offer great benefits. BUT it is really up to you and how you manage to get past the cons listed above. As long as if you remember that work is work, and that everything that happens at work STAYS at work, you should be fine.

Continue reading

"Pls read all these negative reviews...it's all true"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The RealReal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Mmmmm...none. Unless you love working fo

Cons

I worked in HQ on the business side. If you're wondering if it's only the warehouse teams that are unhappy, you're wrong. HQ has the same toxic culture and backstabbing management as the warehouse. The c-levels bicker and talk behind each others backs. Not a single employee in my division has ever been promoted. They only hire and promote at the Directors + level. People keep leaving and there's high turnover, but no one thinks it's an issue. One of the healthcare plans has a $6,500 deductible. I have never in my life seen a deductible that high. An out of touch management demands that you are in the office for "face time." It feels like all the worst parts of high school. It's dodgy when you know HR is out there planting fake positive reviews.

"Toxic Environment"

Former Employee - ALM in New York, NY

I worked at The RealReal full-time for less than a year

Pros

Stocked kitchen.... seeing awesome one of a kind luxury pieces come in before they are available to the public for sale? I mean the concept is great and I will continue to support the company and buy from them but i wouldnt tell my worst enemy to work there.

Cons

Absolutely the worst job position I ever had. Abusive rude managers who were unrealistic and caddy. The job itself is obscene where you are literally schelping designer crap to and from peoples homes like a messenger.... however that is just one facet to this never ending sad job. Unrealistic quotas, petty criticism instead of praise.... and then there is the core group of employees that have been there since the begining of it all and think they are some kind of high school esq elitests. I could go on but I think you get the general gist.

"hostile work environment"

Former Employee - Receiving

I worked at The RealReal full-time for less than a year

Pros

better than retail sales schedule

Cons

whole bunch of high school graduates work here to create a hostile work environment. Worst HR department.

"Sales Development Representative"

2.0

I worked at The RealReal full-time

Pros

Decent medical benefits Commuter benefits Great location to work at in the city

Cons

Unprofessional sales team overall. Very cliquey and catty. Similar to the environment of junior year in high school. This role is for a inexperienced sales professional who recently graduated from college. It was also shocking how some of the sales development representative would speak poorly about their consignors. I won’t even get into detail about the exchange of conversation in the Google chatrooms.

The RealReal Response

October 29, 2018

We truly value your feedback and are so appreciative to learn how we can improve. We are deeply sorry that this was your experience. We will take your feedback and share it with the management team so we can make sure to do better in the future. Thank you again!

"Completely horrifying and depressing"

Former Employee - Merchandising Manager in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at The RealReal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good health insurance and PTO

Cons

This place is like a dark dungeon with no natural light, poor air circulation, and bathrooms that flood and smell like decomposing bodies. The corporate culture is similar to that of high school but worse. There are very few in upper management positions that have actual experience to make them qualified. Don’t waste your time with this dump!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 29 English Reviews