The RealReal Employee Reviews about "realreal"

Updated 23 Sep 2020

The RealReal Founder & CEO Julie Wainwright
Julie Wainwright
Pros
  • "Free lunch program available for employees(in 33 reviews)

• "I was looking for a full time position after I graduated college and really wanted to work for The RealReal(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "They make the workplace feel like high school all over again(in 29 reviews)

• "Narcissism is rampant among upper management(in 25 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "realreal"

Return to all Reviews
  1. COVID-19

"A great experience so far at The RealReal"

4.0
    Current Employee - Account Luxury Manager

I have been working at The RealReal full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was looking for a full time position after I graduated college and really wanted to work for The RealReal. I was connected by a mutual friend to Jessica Carroll who was immensely helpful throughout the entire process. I am now working for the company and I love it so far - although the company is incredibly organized and has a sense of prestige, there is also that still great start up environment which I love.

Cons

one downside I have is that it has been very hard to learn things virtually just starting out in my role. Not necessarily The RealReal's fault but just the nature of the pandemic. A little more structure when starting out would allow me to transition better into the working world.

2. "If you want Experience and Real life education this is perfect!"

5.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at The RealReal full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Great co-workers who are collaborative , and really just wants to workout. Everyone is from a different background but it works out because most are goal-driven. - Managers WILL listen to your concerns and company listens to your concerns than most companies. - Great facilities and offices. -Free coffee machine, teas! -Responsive co-workers and management that will cater to what you need in order to suceed in your role. -You get to meet not only amazing team but also hearing customer success stories - The culture- it's probably not for everyone but if you are looking for a job that will make you through college, or if youre looking for a job that would be your segway to the industry, this is the job for you.. It is goal driven, collaborative and you will REALLY learn how the resale industry works. You learn various other things such as sustainability, building relationship with clientele and co-workers and the world of fashion.

Cons

- Common Startup issues - Scheduling; you might need to work weekends. -Most roles don't have bonuses - The culture- There is some form of favoritism in some departments! All teams are pretty different - I have been with The realreal for almost a year, however, I can see there are certain coworkers that deserve promotions and raises for the performance they give. Hopefully, management will show more recognition. -They dont really offer competitive pay (at least where I'm working)

"Nearsighted and directionless"

I worked at The RealReal full-time for less than a year

Pros

I loved my team and some of the employees I met during my time there.

Cons

The management is focused solely on making a buck at any expense. The Realreal calls itself luxury authentication but it seems like every month there would be a new news report about counterfeits getting through the system or them getting in trouble with a brand. Salespeople are trained to just take every opportunity they can without regard to the correct channels for products or the right way to do things. This results in lots of sloppy behind the scenes work and angry clients. The platform is a mess; you're expected to convince people to sell their luxury goods for sometimes 90% off of what they paid for them. Since the company is huge the management doesn't want to make any concessions at all on process. Culture and benefits are almost nonexistent, there aren't even free snacks in the office. You're expected to buy your own snacks at a vending machine and they give free bagels every Friday. People just go in, do the work, and go home. If that's what you're looking for, great.

"Merchants"

in New York, NY

I worked at The RealReal

Pros

There are no Pros for The RealReal

Cons

The worst leadership in a public company

"Sweatshop"

Former Employee - Copywriter in Brisbane, CA

I worked at The RealReal full-time for more than a year

Pros

I cannot actually list 5 words that are "Pros". Maybe the pros are once you are in a position to leave it teaches you about how workers are exploited and the imbalance of the fair treatment of the working class vs white collar. Also another pro is understanding that most corporations core values are to try and get the most profit while paying their workers as little as possible.. within a Neo liberal free market consumer capitalist system The RealReal is treating workings just as poorly as they should.

Cons

Once I left I realized how terrible it was and needed time for both emotional and psychical recovery. This job violates so many labor laws. This job has mandatory overtime ( 9 hours a day every at the last week of the month), working 6 consecutive days at the end of the month, no holidays off, quotas changing without pay compensation, exploitation of workers without college degrees, wage slavery, manipulation of employees from HR and management

"Operational mess"

Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Secaucus, NJ

I have been working at The RealReal full-time for more than a year

Pros

See some interesting products come into inventory. I'm an advocate for recycling and sustainability.

Cons

Lots of turnover with operations. Leadership is rarely even at the warehouse. Meanwhile we are trying to cobble together various inventory and warehouse systems to help "automate" a supply chain that is massively human capital intensive and cannot be handled by machines. Upper management has no grasp of this reality and blames the constant service shortfalls on ops when in fact they've set totally unattainable goals and made unrealistic promises to customers and probably their bankers too. The whole business model is totally flawed. It is painfully obvious at the ops level, hence the low morale and insanely high turnover. Lower level turnover has gotten really bad lately as management has cut wages from $25 to $15 to save money when they realized they we can’t automate and handle increasing volumes as they’d hoped. At one point last year it was rumored internally that we were going to close down. I’ve worked at multiple logistics companies and RealReal is an unfixable mess.

Continue reading

"Ideal for Recent Grads or Someone"

Current Employee - Copy Writer

I have been working at The RealReal full-time

Pros

I will always point out the positive in anything prior to pointing out the negative. Here at The RealReal it’s an way place to learn about key industry trends consindering it’s necessary to stay abreast on certain things as a copywriter. They do feed you weekly and provide bagels every Friday.

Cons

The downsides to working here, I’ll just list them below; • underpaid • copywriters are not valued( so if you do get job here just make sure it’s in management) that is the only way the company will respect you and care about what you have to say. • there is constant change every week. • promoting people who are not qualified • lack of communication from upper management • the company does not set you up for success within the company. They don’t anticipate copywriters to want to move out of the role and if so expect to be in that role for a very long time.

February 28, 2019

Thank you for providing us with your feedback, we truly appreciate the opportunity to do better. We value all of our employees and aim to support their growth within the company. Our HR team in Brisbane/Secaucus is there to support you in every way with concerns or to better understand the growing potential from Copywriting. Thank you again!

"Inside Sales Team (SDR Review)"

5.0
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The RealReal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

***This review is for the Inside Sales Team, and specifically the SDR role*** I have been employed at The RealReal for 3 years. Over the past 3 years, I have seen the company grow from 500 employees to 2,000+ employees. I have been promoted twice, and gained numerous professional and interpersonal skills from working here. I began my time at The RealReal as a recent college graduate. I was initially hired for the role of Lead Qualification Representative, also known as Business Development Representative. After proving my "chops" in this role I was promoted to the Sales Development Representative role after around 1 year. While sales development is not typically closing role at other companies, it is a closing role at TRR. Our Client Account Representatives, or CAR team handles account management here. A big plus of working here is that our sales team is like a family. Quotas are distributed by territory teams, so there isn't the typical competitive sales mentality here. We are bi-coastal with half of us in SF and the other half in NYC. It is a great close knit group of employees, and I look forward to coming to work every day. I work with some of the best and brightest people and have made several friendships here that I know will last a lifetime.

Cons

Although we are more mature than a startup, it is still very much "startup mentality" here. Being able to quickly adapt to change is important. Internal systems are still being built out, and are not always working as well as expected. You will wear several hats in whatever role you are in. Promotions/advancements are not handed out automatically. I've had to apply for and interview for each of the internal promotions I have received. If you want to work here and be successful, expect to work hard every day, and continuously prove your value to the team.

March 4, 2019

Thank you so much for your review! You have an amazing growth story and we are so lucky you have chosen to grow your career with us. Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback!

"Decent Pay, The Best Co-workers, but Outrageous Hours and Expectations"

Former Employee - Photographer in South San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at The RealReal full-time for more than a year

Pros

The redeeming quality of The RealReal, at least in the photo department is that you will meet the best people. Your coworkers are supportive and fun, which is especially needed with how hard upper management pushes you to reach quotas. Your leads will do the best they can for you. The pay is also decent. Having benefits as photographer is a nice touch. It's also interesting to be around and see a lot of designer clothes, shoes, and accs.

Cons

The expectations are very high here. Upper management have a lot of pressure to maintain and keep up with quotas, and the production teams are directly effected because of it. It's hard to not feel like a number in the system here, at least in view of management. Its hard to maintain a healthy work-life balance when working here. Overtime is mandatory and can get exhausting.

10. "Product Manager"

4.0

I have been working at The RealReal full-time

Pros

The product and engineering team at The RealReal are great and tightly intertwined. I find the people easy to work with and supportive.

Cons

Like a lot of startups you will wear many hats which can be good or bad.

April 27, 2018Head of People

Love that you are happy with your tech team! Thanks for being here, and making a difference.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 34 English Reviews