The Ship's Photographer Reviews

Updated 4 May 2020

4.0
The Ship's Photographer Managing Director Andrew Burt (no image)
Andrew Burt
  1. "Amazing job"

Current Employee - Senior Photographer

I have been working at The Ship's Photographer full-time for less than a year

Pros

Learn everyday Meet new people Make new friends Travel Free accommodation Free meals What's not to love If you have a good team it makes life a whole lot better onboard. As long as you have a good team this jobs a dream. Because remember you will be working with these people like 10 hours a day and then after work if you want nat a social life.

Cons

Room sharing Can be long hours Management onboard can be confusing as they change frequently. Being away so long from home

April 21, 2020Managing Director

Thank you for the review. Yes, there are many great pros in working on a cruise ship. There is a big cultural melting pot where you live and work alongside people that you wouldn't have necessarily encountered in other lines of work. It's the diversity of nationalities, cultures and personalities that ensures life long friends are made from across the globe while working on board. It's true that sharing a small cabin with someone you've never met before can be a challenge for some people. However, there's not much time spent in the cabin as ship's are social environments with great facilities and when in port it's better to be out and about exploring and photographing the amazing destinations visited. I think we can all appreciate that even more during this period of lock down and restricted travel. One of the unique aspects of working on board is the Tour of Duty, where you live and work on board for six to eight months and then take all your weekends at once as a period of leave off the ship. This means our rotations planning has to be constantly looking at who will cover or replace the incumbent manager on board. Naturally this does lead to changes. We try and standardise as best we can but different managers will always have different personalities and ways of working. I'm concerned that your advice to management is about how to treat others and give respect. It's important to me that these two core attributes are something that goes without saying across the company. If you have any specific comments you would like to raise, please use the contact details in our open door policy to speak to either the HR manager or the appropriate line manager.

2. COVID-19

"Fantastic opportunity for travel and to make a passion, your career"

Current Employee - Photographer in Halifax, England

I have been working at The Ship's Photographer full-time

Pros

Supportive team and great opportunities to develop portrait skills, especially with flash and studio equipment. While some of the work is slightly formulaic to meet guests expectations, you are encouraged to be as creative as you can in private shoots. Also, most days in port can be spent onshore which is a massive bonus.

Cons

The schedule doesn't allow for full days off but this doesn't really matter when you can spend most of so many days exploring new places. There is a lot of emphasis on selling and targets which I wasn't really prepared for (but in the tourist industry I'm not sure what I expected)

May 6, 2020Managing Director

Thank you for the review. Thank you for pointing out about the sales and targets that are a key part of the job. We get to take a lot of photographs on board, but probably spend more time in the Photo Gallery selling the images or around the ship obtaining bookings for private photo shoots. With the information about joining a ship we know there is so much to take in. It's not just a new job, but also a completely new lifestyle in a completely different environment. It's difficult to illustrate just how different it is. There's certainly a lot of detail to pass on about everything that needs to be arranged as well. There are travel visas and documents, understanding what ship life is like and also explaining what the day to day is like with the job. We update our documentation every few years and go out to the teams on board to ask what they feel can be improved on so that we can in turn update our joining information.

3. "the things to know before you go onboard"

Current Contractor - Photographer in Cambridge, England

I have been working at The Ship's Photographer for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are looking for an opportunity to explore the world whilst enhancing you’re photography skills, then working for TSP is definitely a great option to go for. TSP is a way for you to experience and enhance your studio, event, and wedding photography. It gives you the chance to showcase your personal creativity around the ship by capturing guests at there best, either on a formal night or privately. Private shoots, also known as Spotlight, are a great way of gaining commission and guest relations. It will also enable you to expand your portfolio and gain a unique skill set within sales. Working on a cruise ship also opens up another training ground of safety and well-being. The ships company will train you in a variety of different topics, from crowd management in an emergency, to chemical training in the workplace. The teams and people you meet along the way are a great way for networking and connecting with people from all walks of life. TSP creates long lasting friendships that soon transform your workplace into a second home. From someone who was looking for a gap year getaway, to finding a dream career, I can honestly say that this experience has taught me so much about myself and has given me so much more insight into what I can do and achieve. Plus, you get to travel the world in style. In summary, this type of work may not suit everyone’s taste but I would recommend trying something new and exciting, to add to your original photography skill set.

April 25, 2020Managing Director

Thank you for the review. I think you have summed up what we do and how we do it really well. The job and lifestyle on board a cruise ship is fast paced and 7 days a week. You meet so many people from all walks of life, broadening your perspective about the world and it's different cultures as well as getting to hone your skill as a photographer every single day.

4. "My opinion on working for TSP"

Current Contractor - Senior Photographer and Lab Technician

Pros

Cons

This type of work may not suit everyone’s taste. Being a ships photographer means that you have to be flexible to change. It is a fast-paced environment with sometimes-irregular working hours. Although we have multiple breaks during the day, the work we do revolves around a continuous cycle or routine. Instead of weekends off or public holidays, we work on a clock-in- clock-out system but are granted most port time off. Ship life requires you to work for long periods of time away from your family and friends back on land, with contracts up to 6 months. However, the ship has various Internet packages that allow us access for staying in touch. You are required to be able to deal with all types of people, as you are surrounded by ever changing cliental, as well as dealing with members of your team who you share living quarters with everyday. Introverts may struggle initially in these types of environment but with the support network that your team hopefully provides you with, you will flourish under any circumstance and environment.

5. "Incredible Experience"

I have been working at The Ship's Photographer for less than a year

Pros

- Collaboration and Cooperation - Commitment and Professionalism - Team Work

Cons

No complains for the company

April 21, 2020Managing Director

Thank you for the review. It's always been a priority to develop collaboration, cooperation, commitment, professionalism and team work across the company. And it has been a particular focus for me personally over the last 12 months to push these important areas of culture within the company. It's also important to sing to peoples strengths and support other ares of skillset to make sure you become the best you can be. And while the job is named as a photographer, it is within the retail environment. Engaging with customers on a daily basis to highlight the products and services that they might be interested in is a key part of the role.

6. "It's a lifestyle, not a job."

Current Contractor - Photographer

I have been working at The Ship's Photographer for more than a year

Pros

If you want to see the world, meet new people, learn lots about photography and invest time in getting to know yourself by living and working at sea then consider working for TSP. As a relative beginner to photography when I first started, I have dramatically increased my photography skills and had great experiences travelling to over 40 countries. As a young guy looking for something different, it's been the best experience of my life so far. Just be prepared to work hard and get over lots of luxuries you might be used to at home.

Cons

At the time of this review, TSP are contracted on Cunard and P and O. Due to the nature of concessionary businesses on board ships, it is my understanding that a part of their revenue goes to Carnival UK, so its worth noting you will never be paid as much as 'in house' job positions such as a member of the show company or a musician, as these crew members are (to my knowledge) employed directly by Carnival UK. So although you will socialise and have exactly the same rank and deck privileges, you'll find the hours you work are much longer and for less pay than most similar ranking crew members. That being said, TSP are constantly improving their commission scheme and bonuses so you can earn much more than the basic salary advertised if you put the work in. I find this makes up for the gap in wages, and there is a genuine intention by TSP to subsidise and retain staff as much as possible. As a result, I saved up over 4,000 euros in my first 5 month contract at sea and invested in a new camera and lens. This isn't common at all, as I was on a contract without many ports to spend money in and lots of sea days, but it shows it can be done. Besides the pay, which as I've said is constantly improving, it is no secret to TSP that most photographers find the hours stood in the gallery and going into restaurants to get soft focus headshots a real drag. It often, (at least outside of head office and the photo managers) seems an ineffective and time consuming way to attract revenue. It would be my only geniune gripe with this otherwise unique and rewarding job.

April 24, 2020Managing Director

Thank you for the review. Working on board a cruise ship is definitely a unique experience. Crew accommodation is a small shared inside cabin for most crew, but on the majority of ships there is the opportunity to take advantage of some of the ships passenger facilities as well as some great crew facilities. There'll always be different rates of pay for different roles onboard. As a commercial department on board pay will differ to some other roles and as you say we are always making improvements, to make sure both team and individual performance is rewarded appropriately. The business is evolving rapidly and we are responding to the changes that guests are looking for on board. This does involve moving from some of the more traditional event photography products to booked bespoke portrait sittings. As this change occurs some traditional elements of the job will become less important as we transition from a more lower value mass product to a higher end bespoke product.

7. "Great Company"

I have been working at The Ship's Photographer for less than a year

Pros

Amazing company to work for.. The stuff is really caring and show that they deeply do care about their employees. You get to travel the world with zero expenses(rent & food) to worry about, which is great in my opinion which is you get to save most of your money. You get to travel a lot of countries, get to meet a lot of diverse cultures. The pay may not be that exciting for 1st world countries but definitely cool for 3rd world countries and so on due to currency, but the company is improving to making new ways for photographers to earn more money which is by commissions.

Cons

I don't have any.

May 6, 2020Managing Director

Thank you for your review and feedback. Our policy on hiring is to recruit across a number of different areas of skill set. Equally as important as the technical side of photography is sales and personality. A lot of the work on board is sales, whether that is at the point of purchase or in obtaining bookings from guests on board. Both are equally important and we look for candidates who may excel in one area but not be as strong in another. Portfolios have always been an important part of the selection criteria and while some people may not have a formal background in photography, either education or commercial experience, we look for people that still "have a good eye" for photography. Our job as a company is to be better with the on boarding process to make sure everyone who embarks on a cruise with us has at least the basic understanding of the key areas you mention. It's definitely an area of improvement for us and one we are actively working on.

8. "Great employer"

Former Contractor - Administrative Coordinator

I worked at The Ship's Photographer

Pros

Great work /life balance. A great company to work for

Cons

I have none to share

9. "The best company to work on-board cruise ships"

I have been working at The Ship's Photographer

Pros

Work on P&O Cruise Ships. Work with photographer from all around the world. Save your money without any taxes. Have the opportunity to grow up and improve your photography skills. Visit many places that probably you will never be again, without a cruise ship.

Cons

Sometimes take a time to change the equipments, unhapy the company don't know the personality of every photographer they contract, and many of them don't take care of the equipments. So you can join a new contract with a very bad equipment and be so embarrassed in front of the guests are you shooting because the equipments are not working properly.

April 20, 2020Managing Director

Thank you for the review. We've started a rolling review of equipment and invested heavily over the last few months. There are now new full frame DSLR cameras across the P&O Cruises fleet as well as new Apple computers to speed up photo editing and processing.

10. "Working at sea"

Current Contractor - Photography Manager in Liverpool, England

I have been working at The Ship's Photographer for more than 3 years

Pros

This job is perfect for me, I started straight from university and have been able to advance my knowledge in both photography, customer service and business all whilst travelling the world. The ships photographer have an informal and relaxed leadership style which makes any employee feel incredibly 'at home' with them. As a small company, everything they do is personable. They look after their employes and provide consistent (24/7) contact and support when required. They have taught me an incredible amount about leadership and it truly is a company that lead by example. They are a pleasure to work for and I hope to have many more happy years there.

Cons

As concessionaires, unfortunately the cruise line (cunard) can often overlook you. Some of their managment staff are under qualified in with their leadership skills. However, TSP have your back 100% and are a perfect example of a well lead organisation who encourage their on board teams and provide all the necessary support. The job is hard work as you would expect however it becomes a way of life and its genuinely inspiring to be surrounded by so many like minded, hard working people from all over the world. The pay may seem minimal, however there is plenty of opportunity to earn extra through their commission scheme, if you work hard it will be rewarded!

April 20, 2020Managing Director

Thank you for the review. It's important to us that in the shoreside office we do try and get to know everyone on the ships. It's not easy as the physical distance between ship and shore is a constant challenge and we are always looking at ways to improve this. Hopefully the changes you will have seen since July of 2019, in the way team meetings with shoreside staff are held, you will have seen some additional positive moves.

Found 29 reviews