The UIP Companies Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Steve Schwat, Peter Bonnell, Heath Wilkinson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"High Turnover Rate"

I worked at The UIP Companies full-time

Pros

Good Work and Life Balance
    Nice Co-Workers
    Some company events

Cons

Paid once a month
    Company pays little to nothing into Benefits
    Company expects more than they are willing to invest
    Hires friends with no experience

2. "Growing Company!"

Current Employee - Property Management
    Current Employee - Property Management

I have been working at The UIP Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun culture. Employee appreciation events. Opportunity for growth for top performers. Great performance bonuses and commission eligibility. Owners really care about the company and it’s people. We are called UIPeople :)

Cons

We are fast paced which can be overwhelming to some while others thrive. The days go by fast! That’s really the only thing I can think of- I am truly happy here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

3. "Disorganized"

I worked at The UIP Companies full-time

Pros

They have a lot of buildings in the DC area and are very effiencnt when it comes to acquiring, renovating and leasing buildings. They have a very laid back Corporate office where you are able to rub shoulders with company owners, the VP etc

Cons

My position was poorly managed. I had 3 different people telling me what to do which caused a lot of conflict. I was moved around and didn’t really have a set schedule. They put a high expectation for you to be able to lease apartments that weren’t always visually appealing. It’s hard to sell someone on a building with cracked paint and dingy carpet when they can easily do down the street for something better. You will constantly be bombarded with emails even on your day off.

Advice to Management

Streamline property management and maintainance of buildings so that residents don’t have to complain multiple times.

4. "The negatives outweigh the positives"

I worked at The UIP Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a shame. There a plenty of positives but as you see below the negatives just completely outweigh them. For starters the salary is decent, there is a bonus structure for some positions and has a really good portfolio of properties. When I started at UIP, I truly respected the knowledge I received from the principals and coworkers. There is a lot to learn and not one day is a dull day. UIP is a fast and growing company. Their acquisition team is very active and they acquire new and interesting properties (most go into development) aggressively. Due to the size of the company, you are forced to work with each other and for each other. This encourages collaboration and new ideas and approaches. Most of the people I worked with I liked and enjoyed working with them.

Cons

Although there's a bonus "structure" it is not consistent. Your bonus structure is based upon the work you do (which is fair) and sometimes those tasks are based upon work of others. This was supposed to create less subjectivity and fairness. It did not. Many times I completed said tasks and not receive a full bonus for those tasks because the principals felt that it was not deserved for their own reasons. There were times that I did not receive full bonus due to the fact another department did not complete their task fully and yet their bonus was not affected by their poor work habits.

There are people that you will need who are never available because they are on a property and sometimes your day could be spent waiting for them. This only makes the day longer and will affect your work/life balance.

Although, your pay is decent, the insurance is quite high for a family with very limited choices.

UIP is split up by three major companies; property management, asset management and general contracting. All are led by a different principal. The property management principal is probably the most even keel of the three. Very approachable and knowledgeable. The principal of the GC is a good guy, treats his people well, but seems to be very disorganized. The head of asset management is also the founder. Even though he is a knowledgeable individual, he is prone to temper tantrums, yelling and cursing at employees and just plain abusive. He has his favorites and he does not hide it. As I said above, the company encourages collaboration, but I found most of the collaboration I had was trying to figure out ways to explain something to this principal so he would not get upset or too agitated. This is just a waste of time. I would not doubt that his attitude correlates to the high turnover.

Other cons; there is a severe lack of structure (it's something that is dependent on the employees to make), clear guidance, training, high turnover and no 401K match. As mentioned above, they are very active and aggressive in their acquisitions; but this also promotes a severe lack of planning, poor communication to necessary parties and poor budgeting. It feels that all parties involved have conflicting information or no information at all. There are also times where there are too many chefs or inflated egos. They do not respect other people's time and sometimes it feels that you work for them and not with them and they are not your manager. You are also paid monthly, which was not mentioned to me in acceptance or interview.

Advice to Management

Listen and trust your employees. You hired them to bring structure to a very unstructured environment. They are trying their best with the tools you are providing. Instead of yelling and screaming have calm and calculated conversations. Communicate to them what is necessary from them and listen to their feedback. You might actually learn something. Hold yourself accountable as well. Figure out the why's something happened and not the who's. There comes a time where your temper tantrums are not taken seriously and you become a joke.

5. "Corporate Accountanting Manager"

Current Employee - Corporate Accountanting Manager in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate Accountanting Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at The UIP Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I do like my work environment and people that I work with.

Cons

Location, due to red line unpredictable issues.

Advice to Management

To give access and option to work remotely by changing desktop into laptops. In such case employees wont have piled up emails or work upon their return to office, so employees can have more life and work balance.

6. "Good People; Growing Company; Smart Management"

I have been working at The UIP Companies full-time

Pros

Smaller company on the rise; growth opportunities for all; open to all new ideas; feel like you matter

Cons

There is no 401K match

Advice to Management

Keep reaching; keep listening to all and evolving processes

7. "UIP Review"

I have been working at The UIP Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

UIP is a growing company where there is opportunity for advancement and success.

Collaborative and an inclusive environment that values its employees opinions

Cons

The growth at UIP is exciting, but like all growing company's, there are some growing pains. These pains lead to tense moments that could be handled more professionally

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. UIP is is an exciting company with a bright future.

Continue working to create an environment that deals with the growing pains in a patient and solution oriented manner.

"Expand your knowledge, but take everything with a grain of salt"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at The UIP Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Higher than average pay for the industry. Decent benefits package. Opportunities to learn from different areas of real estate. Relaxed and friendly company culture.

Cons

Expectations are high, but support and training are lacking. Poor business ethics. Aggressive growth is not properly planned. Unprofessional and unapproachable upper management with explosive tempers. Work/life balance is poor. Under staffing makes it difficult to use paid time off.

Not for the unexperienced. If you accept a job at UIP, you better have several years of experience under your belt because on the job training really falls short. Use your time there to grow your knowledge base across multiple areas of real estate (construction, development, property management). Ask a lot of questions and be prepared to put in a lot of hours.

Advice to Management

Hire more people, develop written procedure manuals, train your management on business ethics—and not just with an online module that people can click through.

"Collaborative, growing company with fantastic culture"

I have been working at The UIP Companies full-time

Pros

Fantastic people, environment where you're treated like a person as well as an employee. Regular company events. Genuine effort to share information across all 3 companies. Great environment for learning about all aspects of real estate from acquisitions to development, construction management to property management. Execs are open to feedback and trying out new approaches. And the company is growing with many exciting projects in the pipeline!

Cons

People who need a huge amount of structure may find it a bit difficult - there is sufficient structure , but this is better suited to people who deal well with some ambiguity and who like being part of a company's growth. People who are skilled at developing systems and processes do well here!

Advice to Management

Keep focused on growing your best people. Bring new people inand make sure they understand the UIP way from the start - our vertically integrated approach is different and that's what sets us apart and gives us an advantage!

The UIP Companies Response

2 Oct 2017 – VP of HR

Thank you for your review! We're glad that you are enjoying your time here and can see our growth trajectory. If there's ever an opportunity you see to build in more structure, please let us know... More

10. "Fun Real Estate Developer With Lots of Opportunity"

I have been working at The UIP Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

UIP strikes a great balance between an informal and a "get it done" environment. Lots of mutual respect between co-workers. Wide variety of experiences and exposure to acquisitions, development, construction and property management. A growing company with well connected partners who create a comfortable work environment. Fun company outings, free lunches, casual Fridays and some flexibility.

Cons

Growing pains; company could be more open to greater flexibility

The UIP Companies Response

30 Aug 2017 – VP of HR

We are happy to hear you are enjoying our work environment and company events, as well as being exposed to the full spectrum of real estate development. Workplace flexibility - and how to provide... More