The University of North Carolina System Postdoctoral Fellow Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

The University of North Carolina System Postdoctoral Fellow Reviews

Updated 15 May 2017

Found 12 reviews

4.5
Bill Roper
  1. "Postdoctoral Fellowship"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at The University of North Carolina System for more than a year

Pros

Friendly and intelligent people to work with who are vested in your success as well. Beautiful campus.

Cons

Limited parking on campus but public transport is free and accessible to other areas in the Triangle.

The University of North Carolina System2017-05-14
  2. "Postdoctoral Fellow"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Chapel Hill, NC

I have been working at The University of North Carolina System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Huge amount of resources, nice area with low traffic in the immediate area when compared to other parts of the Triangle. Large competitive research community to help you excel.

Cons

Numerous moving parts, and as such some things can be marred with Bureaucracy, but that's to be expected with a University. Research environment of the School of Medicine is other, but not always, toxic.

The University of North Carolina System2017-05-15
  3. "Standard Post-doctoral Research Fellowship"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at The University of North Carolina System

Pros

I worked as a Post-doctoral Research Fellow in the chemistry department. Many labs are in the new chemistry building(s), such as Venable Hall. Great opportunities to network with scientists in other labs. It was a positive experience.

Cons

I was paid less than the NIH standard for postdocs at the time. I worked long hours but that was mostly self-imposed.

The University of North Carolina System2016-05-16

"Great place for a postdoc"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Chapel Hill, NC
      No Opinion of CEO

Pros

Location, support network, campus, people, reputation are all great.

Cons

Benefits (insurance premium, lack of dental, changing plans without real notification)

The University of North Carolina System2015-05-07

"Supportive environment"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow

I worked at The University of North Carolina System full-time for more than a year

Pros

Beautiful campus and great campus transportation system, good health benefits through the university hospital and exciting research!

Cons

Supportive environment but as with many state universities, lots of uncertainty due to budget cuts, especially in the administration sector.

The University of North Carolina System2015-05-19
      • "UNC Chapel Hill"

I have been working at The University of North Carolina System

Pros

This is a beautiful campus, with lots of nice people. The surrounding town of Chapel Hill is a nice place, and it is also accessible from Durham by bus.

Cons

As a postdoctoral fellow at a university, much of the experience is determined by the lab I am in rather than at the level of the university. Parking is an issue. The little parking that is available on campus is expensive and often distant. I take the bus from Durham, which is a pleasant ride, during which I can read or enjoy the scenery, but on the rare occasion when I need to drive in, my parking options are not...

Advice to Management

As a postdoctoral fellow in the School of Medicine, I could do without the regular emails from the University president and others about how the university is working with this or that community to address the latest issue that has to do with an athletic scandal or is only relevant to undergraduates. This is a minor complaint. Certainly not affecting my work.

The University of North Carolina System2015-05-21
      • "One of the most well equipped universities to complete a postdoc"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

State of the art facilities, plenty of grant money, exciting research. Great people to work with and a great reputation, especially locally.

Cons

You are a postdoc. Bottom of the Ponzi scheme that is academia. Long work hours with minimal compensation. However, it is the system that is broken, not the institution.

Advice to Management

More support for postdocs looking for the next step.

The University of North Carolina System2014-05-29
      • "good place to do a postdoc"

No Opinion of CEO

Pros

Lots of seminars on topics beside research, decent health care

Cons

small college town, politically liberal but conservative mindset in town

The University of North Carolina System2014-03-02
      • "Postdoc at UNC"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Chapel Hill, NC
        No Opinion of CEO

Pros

Many great investigators. Several cores to share the work-load. Salary ok. Great environment for postdocs with a interactive postdoc forum. Great city to raise a family.

Cons

Job opportunities limited regarding assistant professor advancement within the University.

Advice to Management

Consider hiring talent from within the University.

The University of North Carolina System2014-02-24
      • "Ideal for those interested in pursuing an academic career, not conducive for preparing for other scientific careers"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at The University of North Carolina System full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Independence - particularly on projects Project Management - lots of opportunities for this as a postdoc in larger labs with undergraduate and graduate students Flexibility - depending on the lab you can have reasonable work/life balance

Cons

Limited support for jobs outside of academia Overwhelmed/disconnected PIs

Advice to Management

Sometimes PIs are overwhelmed with responsibilities, especially given the funding situation and there are long delays in feedback on your work.

The University of North Carolina System2014-01-09