The Very Group Reviews

Found 223 of over 314 reviews

4.3
The Very Group Group Chief Executive Henry Birch
Henry Birch
Pros
  • "Fast paced, great people, recognition(in 15 reviews)

• "easy work, and good people to work with(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "long hours systems salary progression(in 7 reviews)

• "Pettiness senior management lack of trust(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Best onboarding experience

Jul 26, 2021 - Senior Data Engineer in Liverpool, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

All positive for me. I have received the best help and support that has allowed me to smoothly move into my role.

Cons

No cons I can think of.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Flexible working, good leaders, great colleagues and the freedom to be yourself

Jul 22, 2021 - External Communications Manager in Liverpool, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very has adapted brilliantly to the new ways of working demanded by the pandemic and, in my opinion, is now a leader in flexible working. We were one of the first big companies to announce plans for a permanent hybrid working model and a huge amount has been invested in making our offices the ideal place for collaboration and community. I can't wait to start spending some time there again. Equally, when working at home, our leaders trust us to get on with our jobs while also providing lots of support when it's needed. I know Very is working hard to improve diversity and inclusion and has already made some fantastic steps towards this. Pride month this year was brilliant! I know I can be myself at work without being judged.

Cons

There could and should be more women in leadership roles. I know Very is working to address this, right up from intern level, but it would be great to see results even faster and have a much more balanced senior leadership team in the near future.

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Experience, experience, experience.

Jul 9, 2021 - Customer arrears support specialist in Speke, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work/life balance. Good hours. Good pay considering the job. Colleagues.

Cons

Lack of opportunities - Not really sure what has changed at Very over the last 18 months or so, when I first started here 3 years ago it seemed opportunities came thick and fast, there was always opportunities for anyone to move up and around if they wanted. Nowadays this couldn't be any more opposite as it seems EVERY role advertised requires prior experience and/or a degree, and if you don't have that then there's no point applying for anything. I've even seen roles that were only advertised to internal colleagues which STILL required you to have experience in order to apply. Micro management - receiving emails from team managers asking why you were 1 minute late logging on, or 1 minute late back from your break, no lenience gives it a real 'primary school' feeling that you can't do anything without having to explain what you were doing and why. Scheduled breaks - being told what time you are taking your breaks relates back to the primary school vibe mentioned earlier, can make the days feel very restricted when you can only go for your break when the system tells you to. Personal time - being allocated a certain amount of time per day away from your computer (usually about 7-8 mins per day, although I don't think anyone actually knows as management will only tell you what percentage of your day your personal time equates to, and not how long you can actually take). Receiving messages from your team manager asking why you are 1-2 minutes over on your personal can be very frustrating as you feel like you can't do anything without having to justify yourself.

4. 4.0

Great place to work

Jul 28, 2021 - Software Engineering Lead in Liverpool, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Flexibility (hybrid working, managing your own time) * Focus on wellbeing * Working with some fantastic, talented people * Great to see some trusted colleagues return * Opportunity for self development if disciplined and prioritise it yourself

Cons

* Pay review policy leads to getting left behind compared to the market * Colleagues happy to talk endlessly about improvements without ever delivering (e.g. accessibility, onboarding process for new starters, developer experience) * Extremely difficult to progress without becoming a people manager, development skills suffering as a result * No on-call support strategy can mean you're always on-call

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fantastic people, great offices and exciting initiatives to get involved with.

Jul 20, 2021 - Product Owner in Speke, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have loved my time at TVG so far. I was surprised at how fast the onboarding process was and I joined a supportive team who cannot do enough to help me navigate the business and learn how the end to end processes work. There are numerous exciting initiatives to get involved with and although it is hard work, I feel well compensated for the work I do. TVG have really embraced flexible working and the benefits package is excellent. Even though it’s only been 3 months I feel I’ve worked here for years and have established many great professional relationships.

Cons

Nothing of note so far.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good mix of challenge and support

Jul 8, 2021 - Head of Delivery in Speke, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fast moving organisation, making real progress both in terms of profitability but also in terms of employee culture. Feels like a place you can definitely make a difference, work life balance is important and the new hybrid ways of working will really support that. Trying to push the boundaries with new and exciting projects. Whilst senior leadership team are challenging, it does seem fair and balanced, good level of support when required. Office environment is really modern and impressive following the refurb. Staff discount is a very valuable benefit.

Cons

Location is not ideal from a public transport perspective, still trying to get consistent ways of working with the new agile set up

7. 5.0

Great place to work

Jul 23, 2021 - Product Owner in Speke, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really great people collaborative environment. Culture is great very inclusive. Love the Hybrid working model.

Cons

Career path not clear & salary often out of kilter with market for some roles.

8. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

All that glitters is not gold at Skygate

Jul 27, 2021 - Middle Management in Derby, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

State of the art facility Impressive automation Good staff amenities such as gym and sports pitch. Good staff discount

Cons

Senior management are bullies Favouritism is rampant Nepotism Speaks values does not live them Very high management turn over Awful reputation In local area for management retention No originality, senior mgmt have completely copied M&S processes and shift patterns so much so may as well be M&S.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great family orientated, ambitious company to work for

Jul 23, 2021 - Delivery Manager in Liverpool, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing team ethic, very collaborative, challenging but rewarding projects

Cons

New WoW not being adapted by everyone quickly enough

10. 5.0

Inspiring & Rewarding place to work - Proud to be part of

Jun 8, 2021 - Head of Retail Operations in Liverpool, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Clear strategy, ambitious, progressive, many great talented people & teamwork, supportive senior leadership team Really great people across the organisation - they really do care about the business and about each other Not afraid to try new things, culture of Do-Learn-Do Better Complex business which has many functions to work within & apply expertise; Tech & Data, Finance, Retail, Digital Marketing, People, Fulfillment & Logistics, Financial Services, Customer services etc

Cons

Operates in a very competitive market, and so demands are high in order to keep winning, however as is the support and job satisfaction when delivering positive outcomes - pace is fast, as is the pace of change & that's not for everyone Still some inefficient legacy systems to replace

Viewing 1 - 10 of 223 Reviews