The Very Group Reviews

Found 238 of over 344 reviews

4.1
The Very Group Group Chief Executive Henry Birch
Henry Birch
Pros
  • "Fast paced, great people, recognition(in 15 reviews)

• "easy work, and good people to work with(in 11 reviews)

• Cons
  • "long hours systems salary progression(in 7 reviews)

• "Pettiness senior management lack of trust(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Brilliant org with a clear purpose and great people to work with

Sep 10, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Speke, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Love the brand, the people (passionate bunch committed to making a difference) and the work - the org has ambitious plans so there's always interesting work to be involved in. Very was one of the first to introduce hybrid working and the offices have been redesigned to achieve this. They seriously have the best office space I've ever worked at - modern and designed with collaboration and creativity in mind.

Cons

Trying to do too much and at too fast a pace at times can mean long hours

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Overall lovely company to work for

Oct 13, 2021 - Category Assistant in Liverpool, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing culture Support for mental health Flexible working

Cons

Lack of clear progression plan for people who wish to excel their career.

3. 2.0

Great potential - Poor leadership and execution

Oct 13, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Derby, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Modern facilities 2. Work-life balance 3. Nice idea for culture and values 4. Great start-up experience as site is still developing 5. State of the art automation 6. Tremendous potential

Cons

1. Say values but don't live them (at least in logistics) 2. The same old fashioned and extremely political leadership you'd find in any other mainstream operation. 3. Progression subject to favouritism and personal preferences- regarding both internal promotions and remuneration. 4. Management structure blinded by positivity, rarely accepts reality when dealing with challenges , also struggles to accept feedback (often taken personally). 5. Unexperienced mid-senior management structure for an operation that is still facing start-up challenges. 6. Lack of direction and consistency from both senior and mid-senior level . Changes depend on how the wind blows and are not communicated across efficiently. 7. Does not treat experts as experts, subsequently some have left and others are unhappy and looking to leave. 8. Poor H and S on site. Managers do not show real ownership of areas, processes or whatever else happens on site unexpectedly, instead they lift shoulders and move problems to different areas or pass responsibility to someone else. Often when something unexpected happens the truth is covered up. All of the above change whenever a big event or visit is due. When that happens it all becomes glitter.

4. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Very good at packaging up a false dream

Oct 4, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are really nice

Cons

Sadly everything they promise at interview stage turns out to be false. Speed of change, flat hierarchies, leadership being open to challenge etc, all false. The tech stack is out dated, with lots of talk of replatforming but very little action. Hierarchies and hippos are rife and any challenge is met with "ok but do it my way anyway" The only people who stay a long time are the people who are institutionalised and too afraid to leave and try something new. You either stay 20 years or leave after 6 months.

The Very Group Response

Hi there, and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. Hopefully it’s coming across to colleagues that I really am passionate about building a great place to work within tech at the Very Group, and so when I saw your feedback and experiences I wanted to pick this up directly. As you’ll have heard, we’re currently embarking on a full re-platforming of the technology that powers our business; this will be a 3 year journey for us all. I want you to play an important role in this, and I’d love to hear your ideas about how we evolve our ways of working, our tech choices and most importantly, how we make this a place that you want to come and do your best work. The next few years are set to be some of the most transformative for both Very and the teams within it (this is why I joined Very) and I’d love to share more of that detail with you if you’re open to it. Please do email or Slack me so we can arrange to discuss in more detail - would love to chat with you. Matt Grest CIO The Very Group

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good Place to work and learn

Sep 10, 2021 - Senior Test Engineer in Liverpool, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Enjoy working over here with lots of new technologies and have scope to learn and very collaborative teams across all Squad.

Cons

The scope for improving the project organization has not had any major issues though.

Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for leaving a positive review on your time at Very. It's great to hear your experiences of collaboration across the squad were all good ones! Good luck in your next role

6. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Values Driven, Innovative, Excellent

Aug 23, 2021 - People Partner in Derby, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

A company which actually lives by its values, strives to be innovative in its delivery and invests in its people.

Cons

Sometimes share ideas before they're fully thought through, the internal systems make delivering for each other and the customer cumbersome at times.

Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for leaving a review on your time with us in Derby, you were part of a truly special part of our retail reinvention, thanks for everything you did! Best of luck in your next role.

7. 5.0

Excellent company

Aug 23, 2021 - Third Party Relationship Manager in Bolton, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Love the values Very Flexible Great pride in what we achieve Hybrid working from home / office

Cons

Change can be difficult as there is always so much being changed

Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for leaving such a positive review on your time at Very, we appreciate your feedback! Love to hear that our values resonate with you and that you enjoy the flexibility that hybrid working gives you :-)

8. 5.0

long

Aug 17, 2021 - Accounting in Bolton, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

good hours, long term work

Cons

remote working, long term hours

Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for leaving a positive review on your current experience at Very, we love to hear from our people! It's great to hear you like the hours and stability of the work/role and we hope that our return to office will help with your feedback of remote working being less positive for you. Will be great to see you all back in Bolton as we move to a hybrid working model. Thanks again :-)

9. 5.0
      Current Employee

Amazing facilities and great people

Aug 15, 2021 - Shift Manager in Derby, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great on site facilities, brand new building, amazing people.

Cons

Spread a bit thin due to low recruitment. Fierce competition in local area as new sites opening every week!

10. 2.0
      Current Employee

Great facilities but poor management

Aug 27, 2021 - Ops Support in Derby, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

State of the art facilities

Cons

Incompetent management, nepotism bullies and don’t live by their values Poor pay

The Very Group Response

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. As a business we are continually striving to make our employee experience as famous as our brand. We are therefore disappointed to hear the concerns that you raise. Over recent months we have both reviewed and redesigned our recruitment processes to ensure that we appoint into roles based on performance, potential & cultural fit, in line with our values. Our ambition is to ensure that we get, grow and keep the best talent and we are committed to ensuring our actions are in service of this. Therefore, we’d appreciate further detail on this experience so we can look into it. If you’d like to share more detail, please drop a confidential note to glassdoor@theverygroup.com

Viewing 1 - 10 of 238 Reviews