The Very Group Reviews

Updated 10 Sep 2020

4.1
The Very Group Group Chief Executive Henry Birch (no image)
Henry Birch
  1. "Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Derby, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere to work, great people, fantastic facilities, valuable values, new generation

Cons

At this moment i have no concerns

Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the positive review, and feeding back that you're enjoying the culture, people, facilities and more in our new site Skygate! Our values are so important to us and at times like these its more important than ever that we are led and guided by them to support our colleagues when they need us most. Good to hear no concerns currently, our ears are always open to hearing about suggested improvements so we that we can build a great place to work for our people so please keep us posted as you spend more time at the new site. Have a great weekend!

2. "Excellent culture and environment. Plenty of opportunity to progress career in a number of directions."

Current Employee - Programmer Manager in Speke, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time

Pros

Excellent culture and environment for the most part, with a good set of people at the helm that care. Plenty of opportunity to progress career in a number of directions. Top-notch facilities. Good flexibility offered allowing for a decent work/life balance.

Cons

Ageing core systems and IT infrastructure can limit and restrict ability to implement change/improvements at pace. Very Speke-centric despite operating over multiple sites.

Head of Culture

Hi, I just wanted to say I really loved reading the pros you've called out on here - its great to see the stuff we've been investing in is showing up in your experience. We will take all your comments on board and really appreciate you taking the time to write this review, take care :)

3. "Not the best of places to work at"

1.0
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker in Shaw, North West England, England

I have been working at The Very Group part-time for more than a year

Pros

There isn’t very much pro’a other than the paid breaks

Cons

Management give silly targets and go crazy if they are not met especially section managers

Employer Brand Manager

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to share this feedback, albeit I'm sorry to hear some of the things you're experiencing. I'd encourage you to share more about your experience with us so that we can look into this matter further, please get in contact with us at glassdoor@theverygroup.com.

4. "Fun and friendly place to work with lots of opportunity"

Current Employee - Delivery Manager in Speke, England

I have been working at The Very Group part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Full of friendly and professional people, always there to help each other and do the best for our colleagues and customers

Cons

Can’t think of any at the moment!!!

Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for much for this lovely review, we couldn't agree with you more, great people make this a great place to work!

5. "Great Culture, Great People"

4.0
    Current Employee - Manager in Liverpool, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Always working on continuous improvement, listening to employees, respectful of work/life balance needs.

Cons

High expectations, tight deadlines, need for process improvements for delivery.

Head of Culture

Thanks so much for sharing this positive yet balanced review! Its great to see that the efforts and high expectations we set around listening to our people and working to make things better is being noticed. Its also great to hear your thoughts on process improvements, if you'd like to share more about this you can at glassdoor@theverygroup.com

6. "Family Friendly, Good work/life balance."

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Speke, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great culture, amazing dedicated people.

Cons

Very fast paced environment if you can keep up!

Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for your review! We know this place can be a fast-paced, challenging environment to work sometimes, with the level of ambition we have comes exciting avenues in tech, data, credit and retail! It's great that we can share this journey with a brilliant bunch of people too :-)

7. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Speke, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company looks after their employees very well compared to other companies I have worked for. Good salary, good holiday and good flexible hours. Also a nice, sociable, successful company to work for. Great work/life balance.

Cons

No job progression as nobody leaves the company.

Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your review, glad to hear your positive feedback on our exciting social events, hope you enjoyed Christmas party! :-) Helping people to progress their careers is really important to us. Currently, around 50% of our appointments into bigger roles are filled by internal candidates, but we’ve set ourselves a goal of moving this to 75%, so we hope you'll see more opportunities across the business in the near future.

8. "Neutral feelings"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay and benefits, facilities in Speke are great, nice people to work with who are usually hard working and want to do a good job. Monthly briefs to whole business are helpful. Good company events.

Cons

Lots of people working hard but don't get enough recognition for what they do and don't get very much support or even rewarded with career progression, external people get hired or they keep same team structure for years and years. Parking at head office isn't great if you live locally and you have to pay to park at local hotel. Commuting hard work because of bad traffic in Speke every day. When business is going through change or people leave the business - the info and emails we receive don't sound very genuine, feels forced and abrupt with no emotion.

Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for sharing your feedback on your experiences working here; it's great to hear you enjoy the generous benefits we receive as colleagues of Shop Direct. We're serious about building great careers here, so we're sorry to hear you're not feeling the benefit of this. We have lots of exciting plans for 2020 as we continue to rewrite retail. We'd welcome you to pop along to come and chat with our Talent and Development team about what these plans could mean to you.

9. "Brilliant place to work"

Former Employee - Frontend Engineer in Speke, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at The Very Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Culture, flexibility, people, benefits, discount

Cons

Career paths is probably something that needs reviewing.

Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, it's great to hear you enjoyed the culture and working with the teams here at Shop Direct. We take your point on career paths, it's something we recognise needs more work and so have put some ambitious plans in place to increase internal progression to senior roles over the next few years. Good luck for the future! :-)

"All talk, no action and negatives swept under the carpet"

2.0
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Speke, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at The Very Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nothing, it's all fake. Some of the people are nice, but no one in power who can change anything

Cons

Honestly the treatment of long serving staff is just abysmal. It's difficult to break down into bullet points how many terrible things I've seen since starting, but a good summary would be "all that glitters ain't gold". They're very clever at hiding how terrible it is for staff who actually work there, in order to being new poor saps in.

Head of Culture

Thanks for taking the time to write this review, its so disappointing that your experience with us didn't feel reflective of the standards we set ourselves. We care about all the feedback we receive, its really important so that we can continue to look into our colleague experience. If you'd like to share more about your time with us please get in touch on glassdoor@shopdirect.com. Good luck with your next role and company

Found 132 reviews