The Very Group Reviews

Updated 10 Sep 2020

4.1
The Very Group Group Chief Executive Henry Birch (no image)
Henry Birch
  1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Speke, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* Good pay compared to other companies in the region * Onsite gym * Very flexible working conditions

Cons

* Could be a bit more transparent * Over reliance on contractors rather than recruiting perms

Head of Culture

Thanks for this! Really pleased that you're able to take advantage of our wellbeing offer and that you are liking us enough to give a 5 star rating! It's always our intention to be as transparent as we can - it's so important and thanks for reinforcing that message its something that we'll continue to challenge ourselves on.

2. "Good company and nice people"

4.0
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Speke, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at The Very Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people, friendly environment, benefits and payed holidays are the best ever I've seen.

Cons

Very slow pace, very slow to make any change. Data infrastructure is quite old.

Head of Data Science & Engineering

Thanks for sharing your feedback. There's definitely more left to work on, including (as you say) the continued upgrade of our data infrastructure. We hope to continue making progress on this, so we can release changes ever faster in the near future.

"Clarity"

Current Employee - Fraud Specialist in Bolton, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everything is laid out in blunt honesty. No need to decipher meaning from actions. Colleagues welcoming and helpful

Cons

Low progression, IT awful can think of nothing else

Employer Brand Manager

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to leave a review on your few years working here so far. It's really good to hear about the transparency you feel as a colleague here, it's important as a business and as a team that we are up front and clear on what needs to be done. Thanks for being a part of the team, we have an exciting few months ahead and we're glad you're part of that!

4. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Head of Logistics in Speke, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very collaborative, supportive environment. High paced Excellent facilities at head office Great people Constantly evolving

Cons

Still working on getting rid of some ancient core systems, some frustrations around the pace of IT change as a result.

Logistics Director

Hi there, thanks for the 5* review. I agree, it's great fun to work in a fast paced, collaborative and supportive environment. We pride ourselves on developing this environment for all colleagues and will continue to do so. We are working hard on developing our systems and our new CTO has already started to develop an agile framework to deliver change at pace.

5. "Incompetent company/management"

1.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bolton, England

I worked at The Very Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dream on, there are no pros!

Cons

These imbecile managers treat staff like they are children. They are very unorganised, they go on like they are above all. We are in 2019 and you have to take your lunch at set time and you have a few mins personal time. Your phones have to be in the locker as if though they have some top secrets. The company is a joke, their ways are a joke, management are a joke, the owner is a joke!

Head of Culture

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences of working with us, you've made it really clear that you didn't find any positives and i'm really gutted to hear that. Your feedback is really important so that we can continue to look into parts of our colleague experience where we're not living up to the standards wet set ourselves, so we’ll look into the points you’ve raised. Whilst we recognise that timed breaks and lunches are quite formal, they're sometimes necessary depending on where in the business you work. For example, in our contact centers we must ensure that we always have sufficient resource to handle our customer’s queries. security around phones is also necessary as it helps ensure we protect our customer’s data. If you'd like to share more about your time with us please get in touch on glassdoor@shopdirect.com. I really hope that you find more job satisfaction in your next role!

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Head of Category in Speke, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Shop Direct is an ambitious business, high achieving and invests in it’s future. It is also an inclusive, inspiring, motivational and extremely supportive place to work.

Cons

I actually don’t see any downsides to working at Shop Direct.

Head of Culture

Thanks for taking the time to share this positive review :)

7. "Shop Direct Review"

Current Employee - Director in Liverpool, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Greta people, forward thinking business which is going places!

Cons

Sometimes bureaucratic and process driven

Employer Brand Manager

Thanks so much for sharing this positive yet balanced review. It's great to hear you're excited about our ambitious plans to keep pushing forward and unlocking more opportunities when retail, tech and credit come together. Your feedback on process and bureaucracy is also acknowledged and will be shared within our team to look into. If you'd like to share more about this please share with your business partner or drop us a note at glassdoor@theverygroup.com

8. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - CAST Team Manager in Bolton, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lovely people, great prospects. Great salary and benefits

Cons

Building is not the best

Head of Culture

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your positive review! We remain committed to improving our work spaces, we know this is really important for our colleagues and how they feel about coming to work.

9. "An exciting time to work for Shop Direct!"

Current Employee - Talent Development Partner in Liverpool, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- First and foremost, the people - we work hard as a company, but with the right people by your side, it can be a lot of fun too! - There's a real energy and buzz as soon as you step foot into head office, with loads of great facilities onsite including Costa coffee, a brand new restaurant currently being built, plus a juice bar and gym - Our customer is at the heart of everything we do here at Shop Direct and we have state of the art facilities to help everyone get closer, including our in-house User Experience lab and a Customer Closeness Centre with live advisors spending 50% of their time helping our customers and the other 50% idea generating how they can make things even better! - There are lots of opportunities here if you want them - I've moved around the business a few times which has improved my breadth of knowledge of the business, built my internal network and improved my transferable skills :-)

Cons

- No major cons for me, otherwise I wouldn't still be after almost 9 years - Sometimes processes can slow us down, but that should be viewed as an opportunity to continuously improve how we do things around here :-)

Head of Culture

Thanks for taking the time to leave this positive review! Our people really are our greatest asset - thanks for being a part of the team here :)

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Liverpool, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly place, They seem to care about their employees more than anywhere I've worked before, got some interesting stuff to work on.

Cons

A bit of a fear to release new stuff from higher management though with smaller agile releases becoming far more prevalent that is disappearing.

CTO

We’re on a journey to be able to release software changes multiple times per day, and re-architecting some of the legacy apps, combined with automating everything, will help us get there. Remember, if it’s difficult, we need to automate it and do it often!

Found 132 reviews