The Very Group Reviews

Updated 10 Sep 2020

4.1
The Very Group Group Chief Executive Henry Birch (no image)
Henry Birch
  1. "Top North West Employer"

5.0
    Current Employee - Head of Governance and Change Readiness in Liverpool, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great environment, pay, benefits and career opportunities. SD is a great place to build your career, have access to development opportunities, and to get experience in a pretty unique retail/FS business.

Cons

Nothing that springs to mind. A strong colleague engagement programme addresses concerns that arise.

Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for leaving us a positive review on your time here! We couldn't agree more, the intersection of tech, credit and retail makes for a very exciting place to work full of career opportunities.

2. "Welcome back Mojo!"

Current Employee - Senior Cloud Engineer in Wallasey, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Exciting, energetic and interesting. After 18 years in my previous company I think my mojo had gone ;-) I am really enjoying my new role at SD. Great people and a great company. Early days I know but I have a good feeling we are going places together

Cons

None as yet and I am sure there will be hiccups along the way but seems an open and honest company that will listen

CTO

Great to hear your mojo is back! Let's make sure it's back for good :-)

3. "Great flexibility, modern and forward thinking company"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Liverpool, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work/life balance Good competitive salary State of the art facilities (head office)

Cons

Outlying contact centre facilities are poor by comparison Some nepotism in certain departments Limited scope for upward progression in certain departments

Head of Culture

Thanks for taking time the time to share your positive thoughts. We're constantly looking for ways to improve our facilities and sites, and its great that you recognise that we've made some state of the art in roads in this area, we know we've more to do here and this will continues to be a priority for us. We believe anyone can progress their career here at Shop Direct and we see this happen more and more when our teams collaborate cross functionally, opening up new avenues of progression that might not have been seen before.

"Toxic environment"

1.0
    Former Employee - Not Important in Liverpool, England

I worked at The Very Group full-time

Pros

Pay and benefits are good.

Cons

The culture is extremely hierarchical. Bullying and victimisation are apparent, ironically more so in the People team, and a blind eye is turned. Some Senior People leaders are controlling, manipulative and lack compassion with their team. Tow the line or get out seems to be the approach to People Management. Passion, creativity and collaboration are crushed by the controlling PLT who won't entertain anything that wasn't their idea. If you work in HR don't even think about moving to this toxic, political business. The cover of the book looks enticing.... don't open it

Head of Culture

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We’re sorry to hear that your experience wasn’t in line with our expectations. We’re committed to continuing to build an environment where all colleagues feel valued and respected and take reports of bullying and victimisation extremely seriously. With this in mind, we’d welcome further discussion on your feedback – please feel free to share more with us at glassdoor@shopdirect.com.

5. "SHOP DIRECT IN A NUT SHELL"

1.0
    Current Employee - Payment Negotiator in Aintree, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Discounts from O2, insurance, taste card etc

Cons

May cause depression stress worry and anxiety and may feel bullied

Head of Culture

Thanks for taking the time to share this review - we take the feedback of our colleagues very seriously. I would encourage you to share more about your experience with us at glassdoor@shopdirect.com so that we can support you further.

6. "Great place to work, with opportunities to work with some of the biggest global brands!"

Current Employee - Marketing Executive in Liverpool, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunities to work with great, global brands including Disney, Nike, Adidas, Apple. Great office environment with access to internal office gym, where employees are encouraged to focus on work / life / heath & wellbeing balance. Pension and benefits outshine many other competitors in the North West as a total working package.

Cons

Internal opportunities don't often become available.

Head of Culture

Thanks for leaving a review on your time here so far, I love hearing about the great stuff that happens here, where else could you be working on a Topshop launch one minute, head to our on-site gym over lunch for an energy boosting class, then get stuck into an afternoon of Black Friday event planning!? On your feedback around internal progression, we do have lots of opportunities for ambitious people like yourself to progress here at Shop Direct. We’d encourage you to take charge of your career path, take advantage of our on-demand courses through LinkedIn to gain new skills, get involved with networking and have some career path conversations with your manager too. Flexible working as a relatively new initiative for us has received some great feedback as we trial it across the business, but understandably takes time to reach all areas of the business in a way that suits our diverse teams, ways of working and customer requirements. We’re working on this and in the meantime, hope you can take advantage of our other wellbeing initiatives that give that work-life balance we know is so important to you all.

7. "Shop Direct"

Current Employee - IT Service Delivery Principal in Liverpool, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fantastic place to work. Great location and office environment. Lots of interesting challenges and projects to work on. Highly recommended.

Cons

No issues are worse than anywhere else. Very few issues overall.

Employer Brand Manager

Hi, thanks for taking the time to leave a review on your time in the tech team so far! We're excited about the future of The Very Group and some of the big strategic projects that will take customer shopping and payment experiences to the next level, thanks for the part you play in that.

8. "Shop Direct Warehouse"

Current Employee - Order Picker in Oldham, England

I have been working at The Very Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

It was friendly and the staff members were welcoming

Cons

the pay was too small

Employer Brand Manager

Thanks so much for leaving us a review on your time with us and the part you've played, we wish you best of luck for the future.

"Hr partner Speke Liverpool england"

Former Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in Speke, England

I worked at The Very Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

On site gym location and team

Cons

Pettiness senior management lack of trust

People Director

Thank you for taking the time out to leave us a review. We're glad you found your team mates and our facilities something you enjoyed during your time working here. We try to monitor closely how we nurture and promote our internal talent, we know our people are our most vital asset. We're sorry you didn't experience that during your time here. Good luck with your next role, and thanks for your time at Shop Direct.

10. "Managing a complaints team who deal with regulated complaints"

Current Employee - Complaints Team Manager in Bolton, England

I have been working at The Very Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very good company to work for

Cons

Progression, There could be more drive towards personal development

Employer Brand Manager

Hi there, thank you for leaving a review on your few years of working here, and thanks for sharing your thoughts on your personal development; it's something we've heard come through from our new Voice engagement survey and are putting a number of plans in place to support colleagues to development and progress their career at Shop Direct. Whilst those plans take shape, we'd encourage you to take the opportunity to share your ambitions with your manager who can guide you on relevant resources available to you to develop, whether that be through our free employee LinkedIn learning access, attending relevant events or training courses, or exposure to new projects/initiatives within your area.

Found 132 reviews