The Works Stores Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Kevin Keaney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "If you're looking for a fast paced business with great career opportunities and an even better culture than this is the place for you" (in 9 reviews)

• "There is a great team spirit and understanding" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "It’s like only head office are allowed to think we just have to do as we’re told" (in 9 reviews)

• "area managers had no idea what shopfloor work involved, so they made ill-informed managerial decisions" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at The Works Stores full-time

Pros

If you're looking for a fast paced business with great career opportunities and an even better culture than this is the place for you!

Cons

There are no cons to working here

"I love it!!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Caernarfon, Wales
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Caernarfon, Wales

I have been working at The Works Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is my second spell as a Store Manager, at The Works, the 1st time was for 7 years, and I have been back for 2 months. I left 12 years ago to work in the 'dark side' at WH Smith!! The Company has moved on since those early days, and in a good way. I received 4 weeks of training, including 2 days at head office. The Head Office team are completely in tune with colleagues at store level, they are very supportive, and understand 'how it is'. My store team are quite simply brilliant, they are all positive, willing to learn, and are buying into what the Company is trying to achieve. My decision to return to The Works has been completely vindicated. Yes it is hard work, yes, there is a small degree of stress, but its worth it. I look forward to going to work every day, and to see what challenges await me!!
    To some, my comments may seem a little too good to be true, but they are, genuinely, how I feel!!!

Cons

I can't think of anything that I dislike about working at The Works!!!....honest!!

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing....it works for me!!

4 Jun 2018 – Resourcing Co-ordinator

Thank you for your review and taking the time to leave such positive comments. It's great to hear that you have returned to The Works after many years away and are enjoying being back.

3. "Store Manager"

I have been working at The Works Stores full-time

Pros

Great training for 3 weeks instore. Then HR "Managing the works way" course and also Store Support Training a 2 day course at Head office to meet Other store managers and head office colleagues and department heads.
    Pay is good.

Cons

Tight budgets for man hours.
    Challenging deliveries.
    Not having full control over orders.

4 Jun 2018 – Resourcing Co-ordinator

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am delighted to hear that your training has been well received.

4. "Don't do it...."

Former Employee - Store Manager Trainee
    Former Employee - Store Manager Trainee

I worked at The Works Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If I have to say 1 it would be the discount

Cons

Everything else! Very unhappy place to work.

Advice to Management

Look at your management who are training and mentoring your new employees. Being someone who has worked in retail for many years and ran tougher shops than the works I thought this would be a great job. I took up my post as store manager in training only to be patronized and bullied yes bullied, by my mentor manager. Even questioned about my toilet breaks or should I say break! I was gone for no longer than 5 minutes! I was there for 2 weeks and when I resigned the regional manager never even spoke to me about why I was leaving so soon. Technically she was my direct line manager.

6 Jun 2018 – Resourcing Co-ordinator

We were really concerned when we read your feedback. Our training programme for new managers is designed to be a positive experience. If you feel there are any particular areas we can improve on... More

"The Works Portsmouth"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Portsmouth, South East England, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I worked at The Works Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved working for the works in Portsmouth, the team were really nice and there was always a fun atmosphere. The manager said many times if the boss is happy, the customers were happy and we were happy then everything in between is a piece of cake. The works have fantastic stock with new stuff arriving almost always daily. I was taught to merchandise to make the store look good , to think financially about where stock is going to go and how to give a golden ‘brand image’ to be customers. Left due to relocation but would return here happily.

Cons

The company don’t give the store much money to spend on wages but then still ‘drop’ promotion changes and lots of jobs on you all at once. Sometimes the store was so busy we just couldn’t get round to doing everything they wanted done in a day.

Advice to Management

People are your sharpest tool, don’t let the good ones go. When you have someone that is getting you the results you desire then more can be done to keep that person motivated and wanting to do more.

16 May 2018 – Resourcing Administrator

Thanks for leaving your review. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your time with us.

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Maidstone, England
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Maidstone, England

I have been working at The Works Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Investing lots of time and money in career progression as the company expands. Everyone from the top to the bottom is so welcoming and always on hand to offer support if needed.

Cons

Workload can be a lot sometimes as it is a reactive company
    Pay and benefits not the best

Advice to Management

Value your employees more and reward them accordingly.

16 May 2018 – Resourcing Co-ordinator

Thank you for your review. Retail can be challenging especially at peak times and we appreciate your hard work and commitment.

7. "Challenging but worth it"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at The Works Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I’ve been with the company for 9 years in 5 different stores. Great teams so it’s nice to go to work. Easy to transfer or move with the company. Variety of stock is always good and they react well to current trends,

Cons

Hard work at peak times but worth it in the end. Sometimes promotions are changed at short notice but usually for a good reason.

8. "The Works"

Current Employee - Area Training Manager in Shipley, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I have been working at The Works Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced, vibrant, exciting company which has a clear growth plan and is very focused on internal progression. Every Manager is truly responsible for managing the team and can have a massive impact on the whole team.

Cons

Christmas can be very busy!

9. "Fast paced environment. Everyday is different. Good Customer service..... Customer comes first."

Pros

Good succession plans..... Promotes from within. Fun environment to work in.

Cons

Pay/salary does not reflect job role.... Not enough staff to do all the jobs required.

16 May 2018 – Resourcing Co-ordinator

Thanks you for your review and for recognising our commitment to progression. It's great to hear that you are enjoying your time with us.

10. "the works wakefield trinity walk the best work team ever"

Current Employee - Work Experience in Wakefield, England
    Current Employee - Work Experience in Wakefield, England

I have been working at The Works Stores full-time

Pros

the management team both Lucy and danny treat me as part of the team as i have only been here for two weeks. and them both finds my skills sets and set me task that i can do. another point to work here is that if you can make work enjoyable and work at a good pace this is the best place to work at. third point the team work well together almost like family. also they are successful in completing the tasks that they have set the team.

Cons

the only bad point i can think of is that they is not a sales assistant position available for me to do.

Advice to Management

recruit more staff as they sometimes struggle to get the amount of work done that they have to do on so little members of staff.