The Works Stores Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 30 November 2018

3.7
Kevin Keaney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "If you're looking for a fast paced business with great career opportunities and an even better culture than this is the place for you" (in 12 reviews)

• "There is a great team spirit and understanding" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Regional managers are nasty to staff and area managers etc are too scared" (in 11 reviews)

• "It’s like only head office are allowed to think we just have to do as we’re told" (in 10 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Merthyr Tydfil, Wales
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Merthyr Tydfil, Wales

I have been working at The Works Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very good company to work for. Not many senior management would bother to know the names of individual employees but in The Works they do. I work in an area with approximately 20 other stores and can pick the phone up to any one of them and not be afraid to ask for help because it's never too much trouble. You are never alone. I for one would recommend anyone to work for The Works. If you want fast paced environment to work in where you can make the difference to your own store through your own ideas and initiative then this is the place for you.

Cons

Nothing i can think of

2. "Good & Bad"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at The Works Stores full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic group of instore staff, loyal and friendly.

Interesting Stock.

Fellow managers a good bunch of people.

Always got on well with area managers who leave you to it if you can establish that kind of trust in your working relationship.

Had and excellent working relatiosnhip with some of the head office team

Good relationship with regualr customers, if done right the store can have they feeling of almost and independent business.

Cons

Too eager to throw people into key positions from external companies who have no experience in either the products or the day to day running of stores.

No real prospects of promotion once your a store manger.

Elements of head office seemed look down on store staff and management, that lead to an unfortunate feeling of 'them and us' culture within the group of stores managers and staff throughout

Poor management of promotions and poor decision making often leads to the stores being left to carry the burden of correcting the situation, or being blamed for their faliure.

Poor salary for the work load.

Stores understaffed due to budgets and little or no feeling for their instore employees

Had to fight to do your own job properly, too much middle management more concerned with themselves and having a quiet life than the overall bigger picture.

No reward for staff loyalty, if anything they are taken advantage of.

Advice to Management

Recruit store managers who can think for themselves not just follow email upon email blindly, then promote from within, thus growing the business with a culture of experience so all levels of management can relate to one another.

Do not consider constructive criticism negative and try and shut people down when they are trying to help, just because they have a differing opinion.

Reward your staff for loyalty.

3. "Good company to work for"

I have been working at The Works Stores part-time

Pros

Work with a great team
    Read books

Cons

rude customers
    awkward merchandising
    pressure at christmas

4. "Supervisor"

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at The Works Stores part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits - discount, holiday and Christmas competitions (which can lead to bonuses). Supportive teams and great communication.

Cons

Challenging hours, high targets (KPIs, till tellers etc) and quick turn around for new launches/promos.

Advice to Management

None - well run store and well organised from head office to local shops.

5. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Barry, Wales
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Barry, Wales

I have been working at The Works Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work! Started as an assistant manager and progressed to store manager within months due to a secondment of my current manager! I was lucky to be considered as I was still so new to the company but I my area manager had good faith in me! Brilliant management team throughout the area which are helpful to each other! Fast paced and exciting environment to work in!

Cons

None that I can think of!

6. "Store Manager"

I have been working at The Works Stores full-time

Pros

Wide range of products

Cons

Too many changes and re merchandising

"Have loved working for the works, great company very passionate about the brand ! Lots of scope within the company."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Guildford, England
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Guildford, England

I have been working at The Works Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Upper management are great with support from head office if needed.
    Company directors and friendly and will meet you once and remember your name a year later. Staff discount Regular competitions fair salary

Cons

None that I can think of

"Been here for 10 years now"

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at The Works Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been at The Works for 10 years covering a number of different stores. The work is fast paced but interesting and our regular customers are fantastic. The pay is on par with retail work (minimum wage) but the 20% discount is a good bonus. It increases to 50% at Christmas too.

Cons

While you may be valued by your immediate manager above that you are just a number. Loyalty to the company is not rewarded or even encouraged.

"Has changed"

I have been working at The Works Stores full-time

Pros

The immediate team and some management love my job but.....

Cons

The works used to be a great place to work but in the last couple of years it has become almost unbearable. Targets is all they think about now and you are disciplined if you don't reach them, loyalty cards were supposed to be for loyal customers but now we have to force them to take one and till tellers were easy as an offer but there are so many now and we have to sell one to every second customer! On top of that we have to stop every customer that leaves the store empty handed to try and get them to buy something, most stores run on only 2 staff per day which means you can't leave the store at lunch time and quite often you can be lone working which is not only unsafe but makes it impossible to catch every customer leaving while trying to do loyalty, till tellers, getting out delivery plus doing displays and keeping it tidy. Regional managers are nasty to staff and area managers etc are too scared. I honestly feel that if the ceo knew how his staff were treated he would be gutted as he is a decent bloke. Yes people were asked if they could put positive reviews on here

Advice to Management

Please please go back to being the caring employers you used to be

10. "Fantastic company"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Bristol, England

I have been working at The Works Stores full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Every day is different, plenty of instore training given, great staff, area manager fantastic. Opening new stores every week.

Cons

Heavy tasking at times with minimal staff.

Advice to Management

Listen more to the people who are on the front line every day.