The Works Stores Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Kevin Keaney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work is fast paced but interesting and our regular customers are fantastic" (in 10 reviews)

• "There is a great team spirit and understanding" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Regional managers are nasty to staff and area managers etc are too scared" (in 11 reviews)

• "It’s like only head office are allowed to think we just have to do as we’re told" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Have loved working for the works, great company very passionate about the brand ! Lots of scope within the company."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Guildford, England
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Guildford, England

I have been working at The Works Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Upper management are great with support from head office if needed.
    Company directors and friendly and will meet you once and remember your name a year later. Staff discount Regular competitions fair salary

Cons

None that I can think of

"Been here for 10 years now"

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at The Works Stores full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been at The Works for 10 years covering a number of different stores. The work is fast paced but interesting and our regular customers are fantastic. The pay is on par with retail work (minimum wage) but the 20% discount is a good bonus. It increases to 50% at Christmas too.

Cons

While you may be valued by your immediate manager above that you are just a number. Loyalty to the company is not rewarded or even encouraged.

"Has changed"

I have been working at The Works Stores full-time

Pros

The immediate team and some management love my job but.....

Cons

The works used to be a great place to work but in the last couple of years it has become almost unbearable. Targets is all they think about now and you are disciplined if you don't reach them, loyalty cards were supposed to be for loyal customers but now we have to force them to take one and till tellers were easy as an offer but there are so many now and we have to sell one to every second customer! On top of that we have to stop every customer that leaves the store empty handed to try and get them to buy something, most stores run on only 2 staff per day which means you can't leave the store at lunch time and quite often you can be lone working which is not only unsafe but makes it impossible to catch every customer leaving while trying to do loyalty, till tellers, getting out delivery plus doing displays and keeping it tidy. Regional managers are nasty to staff and area managers etc are too scared. I honestly feel that if the ceo knew how his staff were treated he would be gutted as he is a decent bloke. Yes people were asked if they could put positive reviews on here

Advice to Management

Please please go back to being the caring employers you used to be

4. "Fantastic company"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Bristol, England

I have been working at The Works Stores full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Every day is different, plenty of instore training given, great staff, area manager fantastic. Opening new stores every week.

Cons

Heavy tasking at times with minimal staff.

Advice to Management

Listen more to the people who are on the front line every day.

"Do not work here if you value your health or personal life."

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England

I have been working at The Works Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

the 20% discount is good, and the colleagues you work with are lovely

Cons

A constant chain of regional managers screaming at area managers who scream at managers who then scream at staff about meeting unrealistic expectations.

You are expected to hand a loyalty card out to 1/3 customers and sell the garbage (till tellers) at the till to 1/2 customers. Obviously this isn’t realistic and staff are constantly bullied for not reaching these targets.
    I cannot even begin to count the amount of times in which I have been left crying because of this and was still expected to run the shop myself during so. Tears streaming down my face from mistreatment and I was still left to serve every customer, answer customer questions, help customers find things, put out stock etc all at the same time. Management do not care.
    The stress that is put on staff to give away loyalty cards forces colleagues into ‘cheating’ in ways such as scanning cards and binning them. When they are caught doing these things they are simply fired for being fraudulent even though they are forced to do so due to the pressure put on them to preform. Management have never questioned why people actually do these things.

Rotas are changed without notice, you take a picture of one rota and are punished when you don’t know they’ve put you in for an extra shift and not told you. You are expected to drop everything around you for work.

Staff rooms are tiny and crammed with hundreds of extra stock. There’s no space to even eat your lunch.

Incredibly low morale due to no incentives, just long hours and minimum wage. Under 21’s get less than £6 p/h.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff like humans. Maybe work on the floor of a busy shop yourself for a day and realise the stress that we are put through and receive no appreciation for doing so. A company owned by a billionaire should not be paying staff minimum wage and only offering 4 hour contracts. Stop thinking only about the money and treat your staff with respect, maybe then they will meet your unrealistic expectations. Also, getting employees to write fake reviews to hide the state of your company is ridiculous, maybe put the effort of doing so into fixing the mess that is The Works.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at The Works Stores full-time

Pros

If you're looking for a fast paced business with great career opportunities and an even better culture than this is the place for you!

Cons

There are no cons to working here

"I love it!!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Caernarfon, Wales
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Caernarfon, Wales

I have been working at The Works Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is my second spell as a Store Manager, at The Works, the 1st time was for 7 years, and I have been back for 2 months. I left 12 years ago to work in the 'dark side' at WH Smith!! The Company has moved on since those early days, and in a good way. I received 4 weeks of training, including 2 days at head office. The Head Office team are completely in tune with colleagues at store level, they are very supportive, and understand 'how it is'. My store team are quite simply brilliant, they are all positive, willing to learn, and are buying into what the Company is trying to achieve. My decision to return to The Works has been completely vindicated. Yes it is hard work, yes, there is a small degree of stress, but its worth it. I look forward to going to work every day, and to see what challenges await me!!
    To some, my comments may seem a little too good to be true, but they are, genuinely, how I feel!!!

Cons

I can't think of anything that I dislike about working at The Works!!!....honest!!

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing....it works for me!!

4 Jun 2018 – Resourcing Co-ordinator

Thank you for your review and taking the time to leave such positive comments. It's great to hear that you have returned to The Works after many years away and are enjoying being back.

8. "Store Manager"

I have been working at The Works Stores full-time

Pros

Great training for 3 weeks instore. Then HR "Managing the works way" course and also Store Support Training a 2 day course at Head office to meet Other store managers and head office colleagues and department heads.
    Pay is good.

Cons

Tight budgets for man hours.
    Challenging deliveries.
    Not having full control over orders.

4 Jun 2018 – Resourcing Co-ordinator

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am delighted to hear that your training has been well received.

"Don't do it...."

Former Employee - Store Manager Trainee
    Former Employee - Store Manager Trainee

I worked at The Works Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If I have to say 1 it would be the discount

Cons

Everything else! Very unhappy place to work.

Advice to Management

Look at your management who are training and mentoring your new employees. Being someone who has worked in retail for many years and ran tougher shops than the works I thought this would be a great job. I took up my post as store manager in training only to be patronized and bullied yes bullied, by my mentor manager. Even questioned about my toilet breaks or should I say break! I was gone for no longer than 5 minutes! I was there for 2 weeks and when I resigned the regional manager never even spoke to me about why I was leaving so soon. Technically she was my direct line manager.

6 Jun 2018 – Resourcing Co-ordinator

We were really concerned when we read your feedback. Our training programme for new managers is designed to be a positive experience. If you feel there are any particular areas we can improve on... More

"The Works Portsmouth"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Portsmouth, South East England, England
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Portsmouth, South East England, England

I worked at The Works Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved working for the works in Portsmouth, the team were really nice and there was always a fun atmosphere. The manager said many times if the boss is happy, the customers were happy and we were happy then everything in between is a piece of cake. The works have fantastic stock with new stuff arriving almost always daily. I was taught to merchandise to make the store look good , to think financially about where stock is going to go and how to give a golden ‘brand image’ to be customers. Left due to relocation but would return here happily.

Cons

The company don’t give the store much money to spend on wages but then still ‘drop’ promotion changes and lots of jobs on you all at once. Sometimes the store was so busy we just couldn’t get round to doing everything they wanted done in a day.

Advice to Management

People are your sharpest tool, don’t let the good ones go. When you have someone that is getting you the results you desire then more can be done to keep that person motivated and wanting to do more.

16 May 2018 – Resourcing Administrator

Thanks for leaving your review. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your time with us.