Thomas International Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Thomas International CEO Amir Qureshi
Amir Qureshi

Pros
  • Thomas has a great culture of celebrating success which I had not seen before and they really reward those that make an impact within the business (in 4 reviews)

• Since joining Thomas in 1999 I have had the privilige of working with some great people (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • It can be difficult sometimes to get the work / life balance correct but this is also the day and age we live in (in 8 reviews)

• The pace of change means that the business has to deal with 'growing pains', mainly related to individual workload (in 5 reviews)

"We are Team Thomas"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlow, England

I have been working at Thomas International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many reasons why Thomas is a great place to work, and instead of a long narrative, I thought I would list the reasons I am passionate about Thomas:
    1. Our tools are the best in the business and I'm proud to talk about them to clients and colleagues because they really do work - and how accurate they are never ceases to amaze me!
    2. The people I have the pleasure of working with are bright, positive, solution focused, respectful, helpful, supportive and above all passionate. The large majority of the company really want Thomas to succeed and be a part of that success
    3. The business is going places - there has been an inordinate shift since the business announced a period of organisational change and I am pleased that the landscape of Thomas has meant that we are working as one team
    4. Supportive people and procedures: everyone has their share of personal challenges and Thomas has been so supportive to me and to others - not common in many businesses - and really important for my personal values. If you aren't feeling this support the important thing to remember is if people don't know, they can't help!
    5. Grow your career - so many people in the business flourishing and growing into new roles and challenges - it's a pleasure to see this success everyday
    6. Social events - action packed calendar of being together, social events and a culture of celebrating success and being one team really shines through
    7. My team - they are collectively and individually brilliant
    8. The benefits package- discounts, health care, emergency doctors, holiday buy, conferences, development, travel subsidies, our Christmas bonus, team days.... I could go on! It would be hard to match in the industry and beyond, but not sure everyone realises or appreciates that
    9. The future - it's exciting to see where we've come from and I'm so excited to see where is going. It's like a cliff hanger in a film. I can't tear my eyes away and that's why Thomas is gets under your skin - I want to see where we can get to as Team Thomas.
    10. I can't stop coming up with reasons...

Cons

As a growing company, it is most suited to people who like to work with a level of autonomy, can use their initiative and can deal with the pace of change. Many who have been here throughout that change have above average levels of personal resilience, so if that isn't for you and long term goals don't motivate you it might not be a comfortable fit.
    Behaviourally and culturally everyone is very welcoming so again if you like to work solo and not as a team, it might not be a good fit.

Advice to Management

It's great to feel and see the support of senior management. A more consistent way of communicating clearly is needed, and the broad brush approach sometimes can be demotivating. By this I mean sending an email targeting certain people, but including the whole group. Easy things to fix, but the impact would be great. Ideal would be to have a budget for each team, so that there is clarity and fairness in recognition and activities for each team. Stop worrying about bitter, vitriolic and personal glassdoor reviews - let's focus on the people in the business!

6 Mar 2017 – CEO

I really value your perspective of Thomas, it's people and it's values as there have been a handful of people posting negative views as they exit the business. Thomas is becoming a great place to ... More

"Brilliant culture - this is a super company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlow, England

I have been working at Thomas International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Thomas drives a really strong culture which is focused on the company values and on people. There are lots of opportunities available to us in the Team Thomas family including professional development, international secondments and everyone is encouraged to have a voice. If you are hungry for a fast pace and are looking for a culture that embraces diversity and development, this company is worth exploring!

Cons

The pace is fast and nothing stands still, which is an exciting environment to be in and embraces career development opportunities, but this won't be for everyone. If you are uncomfortable with change and accessible senior leadership, this may not be the culture for you.

Advice to Management

The Senior Team are very visible and approachable. They like to know everyone, to communicate frequently and to get feedback.

6 Mar 2017 – CEO

Really pleased you like the culture and recognise the pace of change isn't for everyone. We look for bright people who can adapt to change, but they need to be street smart intelligence which is why ... More

"Living The Dream and The Values"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlow, England

I have been working at Thomas International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Thomas International is a fast-paced family company who want the very best for their customers; both internal and external. The business is on a constant journey to be better, braver and more successful each year.

There is a strong team culture which is driven around the use of our own tools, particularly engagement. Each member of the SMT is responsible for owning one of the seven drivers of engagement ensuring that the right behaviour and culture is driven from the very top of the business.

Personal and professional development opportunities are there for anyone who wants to take them and there are no limits to the level that an individual can rise to with hard work and commitment. Thomas is a business which truly recognises, and rewards, talent and hard work .

Cons

As a business on a journey to even greater success, the pace of change is non-stop and this is not for everyone. People who want to grow, develop and learn along with the business will have a great time but do stop to consider if this is for you.

Advice to Management

As always, communication is the key. Keeping people in the loop will help to drive the fantastic inclusive culture and team thomas approach even more.

7 Mar 2017 – CEO

The journey we are on is not an easy one and value your feedback about the team and the culture. As you know we like to ensure engagement is at the heart of what we do both as a key tool we sell and ... More

"Great place to start your careee but...don't stay too long!"

Former Employee - Senior Management Team in Marlow, England
    Former Employee - Senior Management Team in Marlow, England

Pros

A company with massive potential and with some great individuals working there. Interesting services on offer and very loyal customers.

Cons

The organisation has lost its way! It was a very "family friendly" company and sadly this is no longer the case. The sector is one of the most fast moving, fun and future proof ones there is.

Reputations are built on trust and the ability of organisations to flex with a client focus.

Thomas have failed to look after its most important clients and customers....its staff!!!

It's a real shame that will lead to the organisation losing its place and respect in the market. Long serving staff have now lost faith in its transient leadership and there is little clear direction or wider intent. There is simply a quarterly target view.

It's such a shame as the business could have been so much more than it is and will be.

Advice to Management

Re focus on what is important! The people you employ and the brand you want to be. You're now out of step with the market and you need to raise your game in order to keep up.

Stop hitting people with a stick and treat them with the respect they deserve. You're not being fair and you're being VERY short sighted. Step up now or lose out. It's your choice.

28 Feb 2017 – CEO

It's a shame as a senior manager you feel this way, but we have had to make some tough decisions recently about peoples fit into the business, and potentially you have been one of those caught up in ... More

"Proper Passionate People"

Current Employee - ClientDevelopment Consultant in Marlow, England
    Current Employee - ClientDevelopment Consultant in Marlow, England

I have been working at Thomas International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is my first job and since being here I have felt supported and included though it has been a bit of a whirlwind.

It is fast paced and a lot is changing but if we don't change, develop and grow we will not stay ahead as experts in people assessments, teams and cultures.

I don't always know what is coming next but I can't wait to find out!

Cons

thomas make sure they know you well when you are employed (that's what we do after all), sometimes they do not tap into the full potential of their people.

Advice to Management

There is not much to say as I do not know what sort of stress you are under when you in management. Just stay honest and stay passionate, we need and like to know what is happening! Sometimes we don't need to know of course but a lot of us like to be kept up to date.

20 Feb 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback; it is much appreciated. We make every effort to understand our potential talent not only through our robust recruitment process, but through ongoing people development ... More

"An Honest Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlow, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlow, England

I worked at Thomas International (More than a year)

Pros

Thomas International, are on the outside a great organisation, a portfolio of assessment tools that really work, add value to everyone who use them and are in the main, simple.

An organisation with the ability to challenge market leaders.

What makes Thomas a great place, the people, and by people, I mean the majority under the level of the Senior Team.

The culture created by most of the team, is one of passion, dedication and a thriving high energy to constantly improve, be better.

Socially, the team are always engaged in some form of celebration, whether it’s a simple well done, a friendly smile or a night out celebrating, everyone is welcome.

The pace of change is incredible, unfortunately it’s not always for the better, but the very fact a team of people can pull together and achieve change at the rate they do, is frankly mind blowing, unfortunately, the achievement is not always recognised by the Senior Team.

Before we move on to Cons, I just want to be crystal clear, that Thomas International does have some incredible people, and I apologies that this review will cause the usual bad mood across the Senior Team, with any hope it might just help them realise, they are in certain areas doing a poor job.

Cons

Although Thomas International, have a lot of positives, they have an abundance of Cons, that are simple to change, for a business who want to change perception in the market place, they have failed to make the biggest change required, and that is mind set and mentality at a senior level.

Let me try and bring some clarity to this for you;

You continue, to discard the skills and experience brought into the business, why can you not recognise that half the problems you face, are a result of self-indulged individuals, who you bring in to be figure heads of your business.

Stop looking at the day on day actions of the wider team, focus on the debilitating culture that is being created across your business, this culture is going to be the one factor that blocks your vision of becoming a £250 Million organisation.

Unless you have a senior title within Thomas International, you voice is not heard, and I promise you, people, do not feel they can speak up, for fear of losing their job or becoming the next face that doesn’t fit.

Constant focus on the wrong people, you focus on people who on paper are doing a good job, you focus on the top end figure, you want to grow and grow dramatically, so sense would suggest, you should be supporting and focusing your efforts on the individuals who are growing your business, growth is not just about revenue, it’s about ability, mindset change, skills, experience, all of which combined will drive your revenue. Growing your business is not a tick box exercise, stop rewarding and protecting those who simply tick boxes every day.

Focus on the correct behaviours, those behaviours, of commitment, passion and unrelenting energy to walk side by side with you, stop focusing on those who say yes, will go for drinks with you as when you want, socialising doesn’t grow a business, focus, commitment, passion, and ability, will grow your business.

You view your organisation, as a high performing culture, in what planet, does a high performing culture endorse taking sales people away from clients, to sit in a room for days on end, making telephone calls, this is not a high performing sales culture, it’s a boiler room culture where all you are achieving is the de-motivation of your entire field sales team. Cancelling client meetings, to spend time booking them, is just absurd but unfortunately is symptomatic of your culture. Thomas International are meant to be an organisation, who provide solutions to client’s people problems, you are not in the FMCG industry, stop running it as if you are. You are not selling to retail.
    Pockets of individuals, who have personal agendas, I have never known an organisation, where a few so called, key individuals in the mid management team, seem to have so much air time with the Senior Team, you may think this is being inclusive, it’s not, inclusion should be organisation wide, not limited to the few who are adopting your debilitating leadership style, they are two faced, vindictive individuals who wouldn’t think twice of stepping on the wounded to progress, regardless of seniority. These people are toxic, why do you continue to allow them to operate within your business.

It still causes me disbelief that you allow Team Leaders to overrule, Senior Mangers decisions, which as a result see incredible people leaving your business.

As has been apparent for so many years, the minute your face doesn’t fit, you don’t fit! I strongly suggest it is time, the Senior Team take a moment to look in the mirror, and if you do, with open eyes and mind, you will see that a lot of change is required by you, if you held yourself to account as much as you hold your teams to account, you will see an incredible transformation in your business.
    As a business, you are seen to be caring about peoples wellbeing, work life balance and health, however, you expect people to work long un-sustainable hours, you expect people to take phone calls from you in the evening, at the weekend and while they are on well-deserved annual leave, and, if you don’t, you are looked down on, if you don’t attend a meeting at short notice or a conference call, Holidays are earned and required to re-charge and spend time with family and friends away from work, not days that you give but still call the shots on what an individual does. You criticise people for not being visible enough, while they are on holiday, it’s completely insane.

It has been known, for people to be asked to meet while on holiday, when they are due back the next day, again, insane and another example of your culture.

Advice to Management

It’s time to take stock of where you are, the bullish, sometimes aggressive leadership style, is old, its tiresome and no longer has a place in the modern business world. I guarantee you, this is not an opinion from one, it’s from the many and to my point earlier, it is not voiced, due to a culture of fear, not purely of being exited, but of being on the radar, as you so eloquently describe it, dead to me.

You all, collectively talk about accountability for roles and actions, nobody in the business holds more accountability than you, but, you are the last to be held to account and the first to shift accountability to others while basking in the glory of the success they deliver.

Learn to listen, listen to people in your business who have good ideas, who can see the things that need to change, they are not always being negative, they are in fact being the opposite, they are passionate about the business and want it to succeed, they are trying to help you.

Senior Team – You need to take some dedicated time, both collectively and individually and take a long and honest look at how you are running your business, the way you treat people who are committed to you, and where you focus your time and energy.

You all, need to think long and honestly about the last 12 months, you are driving more and more good people out of your business, successful businesses are not built through hiring friends and clones, they are built by hiring experience and people who can not only get the job done, but can bring value and ability, people who can grow with the business.

Stop driving your own personal agendas, by doing so, you are blind to the negative culture you are creating, you are weakening your structure and organisational capability and most worryingly of all, you think you are doing a good job.

I apologies, that I tarnish the entire Senior Team with the same brush, a select few are incredible people, with great experience and strong leadership ability, unfortunately, they don’t get the opportunity to demonstrate it.

Martin and Amir – If you do one thing, please, take stock of who you have running your business, you have a lot of great people, who, unfortunately are disengaging through poor leadership.

You have a business with incredible potential, but, your trusted leaders are not doing a great job, to use your phrase again, they are doing a poor job, and it is having a detrimental impact across the entire organisation.

Look at the culture that is being created, it is not your vision.

Instead of searching and questioning who has written a review on Glassdoor, why not try something refreshing, read it again, take stock and ask yourself whether this is a truthful review, I know it is.

2 Feb 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your comprehensive review of Thomas that you describe as honest. My personal view is if it was honest driven without out agenda you would not review as a one star organisation as you ... More

"Good Organisation who are going places"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at Thomas International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent tools and business services that help your company recruit, train, manage and develop your staff to be the best they can be.

Cons

Not too many. Management changes and staff turnover was higher than in the past which led to some disruption in the team. New senior management changes seem to have calmed the waters.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and success will continue. New tools need to be trained to all staff especially in the field.

9 Jan 2017 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write your positive perspective of Thomas and the journey we are following. The organisation is on a good trajectory for both growth and development of our people and ... More

"The potential is there"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlow, England

I have been working at Thomas International (Less than a year)

Pros

I was recruited into Thomas with a fantastic opportunity to learn about the commercial world, psychometrics and organisational change. I had some outstanding experiences in the UK and on international events looking at a vastly changing business that had set some bold goals.

Thomas has a great culture of celebrating success which I had not seen before and they really reward those that make an impact within the business.

There were some highly talented, hard working and creative people in the business that highlighted where they wanted to be....a market leader.

Cons

My time with Thomas was not without its challenges. I felt at the time that there was a lack of direction being given by managers and basic line management processes were not being followed. This coupled with the changing landscape of the business led to levels of confusement and conflict.

There were also levels of poor behaviour from legacy staff which brought into question the professionalism of some teams, something I know was being addressed.

I ended up parting ways with Thomas after only a short time but upon reflection learnt a huge amount which has really set me up so well for my current role.

Advice to Management

Keep building on the management processes that underpin the cultural and organisational change. Empower people with the platform to make decisions and continue to support them to have honest conversations. Temper the drive for success with a work/ lie balance that people can thrive in.

Thanks again for the opportunity and I wish everyone the greatest success for the future!

28 Aug 2016 – CEO

I am genuinely sorry we have lost you at Thomas especially after less than a year. Your comments are fair and I am keen to reward the right behaviours but challenge those who don't get what we are ... More

"Transformation process"

Current Employee - Managing Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Managing Director in London, England

I have been working at Thomas International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Thomas is a company that continues to undergo a massive transformation programme – one that encompasses not only revenue growth and geographical expansion, but also strategic, structural and leadership re-positioning. The business is preparing to transition from a large SME to a small large business. This process is not without challenges, nearly all of which are related to changing the mind sets of valued staff members whose roles and responsibilities need to adapt to reflect the changing demands of the business. Historically, the business was supported and grown by regional associates looking after the clients in their patch. Over time, as we replaced these associates with our own regional staff we have sometimes remained local in our thinking, still providing our clients with excellent support but essentially still enabling for our staff a lifestyle focused job role. This self-focus is not the mind-set for a company that seeks to be a world leader in its sector. This is most prevalent in our UK business where I have both the privilege of being the Managing Director and the challenge of driving institutional change.

Over the past six months we have been wrestling with this problem and have come to realise that at some point the desire to implement change cannot always come from the top down. Instead there has to be a moment where the staff take personal responsibility for their role, their clients and their results within the wider framework of the strategic requirements of the business. That six months has culminated in a lengthy self-governed meeting of our regional directors who have taken the challenge upon themselves and their teams to push responsibility for our corporate success onto each individual employee.

This will not be without challenge. We anticipate that the biggest resistance will not be around aptitude or skills, but rather attitude and commitment. We realise that our key challenge is to ensure that when we emerge from this transformation our staff continue with the high engagement they currently display and remain committed to making Thomas the most effective developer of people, teams and cultures in the world.

Our approach will not suit everyone currently employed by Thomas. That does not make them an ineffectual employee or Thomas a poor employer. It simply means that as we progress through this transformation we may not be the appropriate culture for everyone and we seek staff who willingly and enthusiastically embrace the transformation. We have always worked hard to be transparent and honest in our leadership and this will not change; our tools continue to help us in our journey.

Cons

Thomas is a dynamic working environment where staff need to be able to deal with working at pace and whilst remaining relentlessly customer focused.

Advice to Management

In any transformation process the need to communicate across the entire organisation in a structured, timely and regular manner is a prerequisite for success.

2 Aug 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your proactive review of the Thomas business and agree some of the team in the field have and will find some of the changes uncomfortable. However believing in our tools I know the raw ... More

"Good company, good products"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Thomas International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a fantastic product range which can help with most problems within an organisation having people issues. This is also expanding with the introduction of a new assessment but mainly with the introduction of the global academy which also allows Thomas not only to diagnose issues but to show businesses how to resolve them. This will help significantly with the growth plans.

Cons

Seem like we are getting more micromanaged with additional reporting being introduced on a weekly basis. We have a very good crm system but because most people don't know how to use it to its full potential we have to repeat information onto another spreadsheet meaning we are spending more time doing admin. This then means that this cuts into our work time for calls and meeting which we are also expected to hit targets. If you want to work a 40 week this is definitely not the place be.

Advice to Management

Trust the people in the business more as they seem to being stifled by the introduction of more repetitive work and constant questioning about one thing after another. The products are great and there are good people so let them show off instead of trying to reign them in.

2 Aug 2016 – CEO

Thanks for your honest feedback and can understand your perspective. Your perception of micromanagement honestly have best intentions at heart. We have found a number of our sales teams not focused ... More