Thomas International Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 11 Nov 2019

3.4
Thomas International CEO Amir Qureshi
Amir Qureshi
Pros
  • "Wide range of Assessments Experience(in 22 reviews)

• "Good social atmosphere and lots of experience within the management team(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Thomas is a fast-paced place to work(in 9 reviews)

• "Work/Life balance can be compromised particularly when on leave(in 9 reviews)

"Great onboarding experience"

Current Employee - Head of Legal & Compliance

I have been working at Thomas International full-time

Pros

Received a great welcome on my first day and a first class onboarding service from the HR team. The people at Thomas are approachable and energised, I'm excited to join Team Thomas!

Cons

None that I can see

Thomas International2019-11-04

"A load of old horoscopes that the market doesn't want and that they don't even use themselves anymore!"

Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Thomas International full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good coffee machines. Some good colleagues at the coal face.

Cons

Thomas are still peddling the same old DISC assessments from the 1980s and wonder why they can't attract new customers and their existing ones don't stick with them. After using them for a while customers realise there is little validity or consistency to the product and stop using it. One told me that they were little better than horoscopes. Last year it was revealed why they were giving up on new product... development (SJTs in this case) as they are just resellers and have no capability to produce their own product. Apart from the DISC product the three other assessments are resold. Following a slight blip of innovation in 2017 when three new reports were added to the list of DISC reports there have been no new ideas or products -zero. This despite the company being sold and having a lot of investment in things like office refurbishments and new directors’ roles, some of which are irrelevant for a company this small. As a company which deals with "people assessments" they are chronically bad at dealing with their own people who simply disappear or take time off for personal/health reasons and never come back. Since the company was sold last year the entire leadership team, apart from the CEO, has been replaced. This means that only two of the SLT have been there for more than a year and even in the case of those two only 18 months. All of the regional sales directors were sacked in the space of six months. A new start admitted that they hadn’t even been asked to take any assessments themselves. This just emphasises the hypocrisy of the firm and the panic they are in. Now no-one is around (except the CEO) who remembers the mistakes of the last few years, like selling forward so you make your target this month/quarter but rob it from the next. The “Universities Initiative” is being touted as the great hope but Thomas Education was a failure a couple of years ago. They're now on their third sales director in two years. A 38-year old company which sets itself 100% per annum growth targets with old products in a changing market is setting itself up for failure. Watch out for a sale next year

Advice to Management

It washes off like water from a duck's back!

Thomas International2019-11-11

"Denial & lies"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlow, England

I worked at Thomas International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent benefits in order to attract new staff- private healthcare, gym discounts.

Cons

Upper management not present and out-of-touch with other areas of the business. Also communicate badly - people are only made aware of major upcoming changes at short notice. Bad management of change Complete disinterest and denial over poor staff retention. The fact the CEO claims turnover is at an all-time-low is really NOT a good thing, because it's appalling right now. There's evidence of that on people's... Linkedin profiles and the endless long-open vacancies 'due to expansion.' Some departments even place bets on how long a new starter will last.

Advice to Management

Absolutely no point giving advice to management - look at the replies to previous reviews. The only advice I would give is to anyone thinking of joining - don't.

Thomas International2019-11-08

"Same problems for too long"

Current Employee - N/A
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Thomas International full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good offices - Free food and drink

Cons

- The staff turnover is very high given the size of the business, and this is not acknowledged because it undermines the product. - There's poor accountability at middle management level, which has led to blame culture. The Senior Leadership team is quite separate and communication seems bad, which leads to a lot of insecurity, which increases the problem. Everything can just be blamed on the latest leavers or... lower-level workers. - Not much of a career path/ opportunities for progression.

Advice to Management

- I think some people need to be more accepting of the restructure and be more honestly open to the changes it brings. - Be objective regarding feedback on management - it is the same issues raised each time by too many reviewers.

Thomas International2019-10-14

"Great Company to work for!"

I have been working at Thomas International part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Love Team Thomas. Enjoy working with all of my colleagues in the business - great sense of togetherness across the teams. Excellent Benefits Package. There are a number of great benefits to suit all available at Thomas. I have worked for a number of companies in the past, and this is definitely the best offering. Support. I have found the company extremely supportive and open for conversations to ensure well... being is a priority.

Cons

Fast paced company - this comes with pressure which can be an exciting opportunity to grow quickly, but also can be challenging with the focus is on too many things.

Advice to Management

Continue the communication and being open and honest about the direction and vision for the business.

Thomas International2019-07-01

"Thomas International - average"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Thomas International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people that work there were great.

Cons

The Management needs to sort itself out

Thomas International2019-06-26

"Exciting place to work"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Thomas International is a place where change matters - free to make ideas, take responsibility and deliver. The people are great - friendly and dedicated

Cons

With private equity ownership comes more pressure with a desire to grow quickly. This brings opportunities but also the challenge of deciding what to focus on. New management team bringing experience at least.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating - it has improved in the last year and build on it more.

Thomas International2019-04-15

"Energetic and Exciting Workplace"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great product and great CEO vision for growth. The company was recently bought out by a PE firm, so many changes happening which (I am sure) have caused angst in many. I am relatively new to the company (started this year), but there is good volume in the office, laughter, and positive energy. Employees who want to achieve results are motivated and happy. I genuinely do not see the negatives that I’ve read on here.... To the contrary, the environment is motivational and forward thinking.

Cons

The business is transitioning from a family run business to a professional company, so there is a real lack of good reporting and access to actionable data. However, if you clearly define what you want, there is the desire to deliver it from the teams. And there is a roadmap in place to develop a better infrastructure that will service the company moving forward. Solid CTO.

Advice to Management

Recognise the employees who are there for the long game. I think most are! It’s a happy place to work!

Thomas International2019-03-22

"Complete Shambles"

I worked at Thomas International full-time

Pros

Staff are so friendly - not the management.

Cons

Management are the most two faced I've ever come across in my career. Completely unorganized can't even seem to get a simple task like setting targets or paying commission correctly. Managers are either bully's or just scared of the senior leadership team, no support offered just poor managerial style and appaling approach to 121's.

Advice to Management

Stop bringing in new people (staff & management) focus on what you have already and nurturing that environment. Thomas sells psychometric assessments and 'helps' other companies with their in house issues - maybe start practicing what you preach.

Thomas International2019-02-09

"Slave"

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in London, England

I worked at Thomas International full-time for more than a year

Pros

None - Hated the job, colleagues were fun to work with though

Cons

Management is weak - they slave you and congratulate you one day hate you the next - you will find yourself working WAY more than your contracted hours and its seen as a must

Advice to Management

fix up

Thomas International2019-02-14