Thomas International Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.2
Thomas International CEO Amir Qureshi
Amir Qureshi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Thomas has a relatively flat management structure and highly-accessible senior management team (in 8 reviews)

• Since joining Thomas in 1999 I have had the privilige of working with some great people (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • It can be difficult sometimes to get the work / life balance correct but this is also the day and age we live in (in 8 reviews)

• Sadly with the current leadership team this will never be realised (in 5 reviews)

"Team focus at Thomas International"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time

Pros

Thomas International focuses on the team as a whole. Regular one-to-one meetings, stand-ups and meetings with the senior leadership team all take place regularly, allowing the staff to develop and grow as the company does.

The company has a unique personality and is welcoming to all new starters, no matter their role. You'll feel like a part of the team from day one and will continue to learn more about the company and its different areas as time goes on.

Cons

Life at Thomas runs at a fast pace, but this allows you to try new things and grow within your role.

Advice to Management

Carry on with the updates, meetings and feedback sessions. The company is always growing, and this is an exciting time to be a part of it.

19 Aug 2017 – CEO

Thank you and I appreciate your honest opinion and views. It's great to hear that you feel a part of our business and that the communication from all the team across the various styles is working. It... More

2. "Constantly growing and developing"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time

Pros

The recent spout of negative reviews is complete rubbish. For anyone who has been a part of the company, they'll know it's full of bright individuals who care about the success of the business and the development of each other.

Thomas is a constantly growing, ambitious company, and has managed to adapt to an ever changing market exceptionally well.

Regular one to one meetings, company wide stand ups keep people in the loop and engaged with each other, there's no way anyone can say they don't know what is happening in the business.

Cons

The pace of the business and the moments of change may not be suitable for some, but it's 2017, if you can't accept change, you need to look at yourself as a person first.

Advice to Management

Stay engaged with the current staff and stay accessible, it's the only way the company and the staff will grow and develop.

19 Aug 2017 – CEO

It is great to hear such positivity and we will continue to do what we think and feel we are doing well. Communicating effectively is core to our success and keeping all involved and part of that is... More

"Bursting at the seams with talent and potential"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

For anyone who has read any previously reviews it will come as no surprise that Thomas is a hugely ambitious company who are taking the journey from good to great at a rapid pace.

Contrary to some opinions posted, I believe that Thomas is heaving with hugely talented, capable and ambitious individuals. We are constantly attracting bright, enthusiastic people who buy into our vision of being the largest, most successful independently owned provider of psychometric assessments.

I have worked for Thomas for many years and whilst it is true that the face of the company is very different to the one I joined I don't consider this a negative. The very essence of success is to evolve and this is something we do incredibly well as a business. It is critical to adapt to the ever changing world and adapt your practices and culture to be the best you can be; nobody wants to be Kodak!!

So many people at Thomas go above and beyond on a daily basis that I find it hard to believe this would happen in a mediocre, disengaged company!

Cons

As ever the pace of change and adaptation can be intense but this is understood and embraced by those who want the company to be successful.

Advice to Management

Don't listen to the naysayers. Concentrate on keeping the first class talent you have in the business engaged and the rest will take care of itself.

"An exciting place to be!"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time

Pros

There are challenges and opportunities to grow and develop exponentially here and everyone genuinely supports each other. Teams join together to celebrate successes every week and are always willing to provide guidance and encouragement when things do not always go as planned! I have never worked for a company where its employees are so in-tune with each other and are all striving for a common goal.

The company as a whole are on a journey to become more agile and responsive to the evolving technology market - this has meant moving into unknown territory and not being afraid to take risks. This has been met with some reluctance and inflexibility from members of the team who are sadly no longer with us, however I personally find this process very exciting to be a part of. Since I have joined Thomas, every day has been different and the amount of trust and freedom to create I have been given is incredibly empowering. I am grateful for the opportunities I have been given so far and hope to continue growing with the business.

Cons

The steep learning curve is not for everyone. If you enjoy learning every day and being outside of your comfort zone then great! If you are looking for something simpler with VERY clear plans for the future, perhaps look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Keep on listening to and involving all of us in important business updates. As long as we are aware that the change is happening, trust will be kept strong.

19 Jul 2017 – COO

It is great to read how positive you feel about being in this fantastic business and the way you clearly approach your role and describe the journey we are on is testament to the "Team Thomas" that... More

"Getting worse"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good tools and good people at ground level. Clients a valued by consultants but are becoming a number to the company which is sad.

Cons

None of the senior managers have sold the products and services we offer and constantly bang the drum for short term wins whilst expecting us to do long term goals. Cost of sales are cheaper internally so they get to pick and choose which account they want to hand out to the field ignoring potential opportunities to grow accounts. Stuck in the old transaction sales regime and when people try to sell solutions and think outside the box they get slapped down for not hitting the target for that day, week or month. More interested in how many calls, even dials are measurements more rigourously than actually looking at the poor account management and lost opportunities.

Advice to Management

Sort out the sales process as so many missed opportuniries with large account sitting in internal sales and not enterprise or external sales.

9 Aug 2017 – CEO

Many thanks for your feedback and it is true that for a period of time there has been some challenges in helping everyone understand how the business has moved forward allowing the field teams to... More

"sort this mess out, please!"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time

Pros

As other reviews have said, great products to work with and lots of talent.

Cons

I used to love coming to work but now I dread the alarm going off, wondering what I am going to be beaten up for today, by a leadership team that I think is also being constantly being beaten up the CEO. The atmosphere is awful, people are scared to say what they think, in case they lose their jobs, as happened to one person recently.

Advice to Management

Things were mad when Martin was in charge, but at least we had some fun. Now it's just nasty.

9 Aug 2017 – CEO

As the business grows and standards raise it can be hard for some people to keep up with it and sounds like you are clearly struggling. Our International business is growing every day and I would... More

"Look under the carpet"

I worked at Thomas International full-time

Pros

Can be a good place to work if you conform and look right

Cons

If your face doesn't fit then you are out. Take a look at the employment stats for the last 3 years, they will tell any prospective buyer a truer story of Thomas, not just the employed but the self employed who have now gone, tells one hell of a story actually

They have had hard choices to make as the CEO keeps on saying, they were not hard choices they were what the SM needed to do to make the company look hip and trendy for perspective buyers, end of story

Advice to Management

No point

11 Jul 2017 – COO

Thomas is an amazing company with huge growth and change over the past three years which as you clearly accept is not for everyone. All employees whether employed or self employed are given equal... More

"At last people are speaking up!"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Products which are as good as anything in the marketplace. A group of employees who are bright, committed and fun to work with.

Cons

The biggest con is the leadership team. The owner means well but he has no self-awareness or social skills. He doesn’t recognise the impact his behaviour has on those around him. He is incredibly demotivating and often offensive and insensitive. There are huge double standards between how the most senior members of the team expect its staff to conduct themselves, inside and outside of work, and how they behave themselves. Their poor behaviour is there for all to see but they don't see a problem with that. The CEO is a power-crazed, controlling bully with 2 objectives, it appears. The main one is to remove the Reed family from the business so that he can sell it and make his millions. The second seems to be to make as many people’s lives miserable as he possibly can. He clearly gets some perverse satisfaction from oppressing everyone he deals with in the business, to show them whose boss, whether they are employees or partners. How the family can’t see through him, and the damage he is doing to the business which they have built over 30 years, is beyond belief. Thomas products have been developed to improve the lives of those who use them, which they do. The irony is that the people who should benefit the most, its own employees, don’t, due to this incompetent leadership group.

Advice to Management

Resign. Thomas’s future is already uncertain as the competition grows, but with you leading it, you will only make that worse by making morale and relationships even worse than they are, meaning key members of staff will continue to leave. No doubt there will be some reply to this about how change and the culture aren’t for everyone and that overall it’s a happy business, but it isn’t, as you really know and as more people are being brave enough to point out.

"Emotional turmoil and toxic leadership"

Pros

Some great employees, products are genuinely interesting, Marlow is a nice town to work in and it's good that they stuck to the High Steeet for office location.

Cons

- Emotionally abusive and toxic leadership
    - Turf anyone out who disagrees with them
    - cheap as anything - wont put any money into the business in terms of creating high quality work or treating their employees well
    - Salaries are very very low and pay rises are rarely given out
    - Bonuses almost never given and when they are the leaders keep on about it for years afterwards and expect employees to be greatful even though they aren't being paid or treated properly
    - People promoted or rewarded based on who sucks up to the leaders the best, not who is the best employee
    - most of the good employees have now had the common sense to leave so those who are left are mostly toxic, egotistical bullies
    - Leaders set an example that bullying people, making them feel small and humiliating them is what makes a leader, so unfortunately many junior and middle managers are now following this example
    - Managers are told they have to write a positive review on glassdoor and then asked if they have or not and chastised if they haven't

I could go on but when would I stop?!

Advice to Management

There is little point filling in this box because whenever a negative review was posted whilst I was working there it would be mocked by leadership because they think they are perfect. Still baffles me that they can't see a trend.

17 Jul 2017 – COO

It is a real shame that you have made the decision to not discuss this either directly with me or my Leadership team as facts speak much clearer than the emotion of your post and you could have been... More

"The reason for all the negative reviews."

Current Employee - Management in Marlow, England
    Current Employee - Management in Marlow, England

I have been working at Thomas International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Insightful products that improve your performance and self-awareness – great tools to improve people, teams and cultures.
    A brand that could acquire more market share with the right leadership.

Cons

If you read all the reviews on TI on Glassdoor, in particular the negative ones, anyone with any sense will realise there are major issues here at TI. The volume of negative reviews speak for themselves. All of these people can’t all be wrong. It’s disappointing having worked for TI for such a long time to see the company head down this path.

So, the question is why? I will state what everyone at TI is too afraid to say. The SMT (Senior Management Team) lacks the courage to speak up as many are just thankful that they have a job. They don’t want to jeopardise their position and rock the boat. All the negative reviews all have the same root cause – the leadership of the company. Everyone recognises the need for change in any business but this excuse is wearing thin for all the staff exits over the last few years. Most at TI are happy to accept change – change isn’t the issue – it’s HOW you implement change that matters that keep staff motivated. Unfortunately the leadership style in implementing change doesn't take into account you are dealing with human beings.

It's clear the leadership doesn't handle pressure at all as the first reaction is to is crack the whip and begin the blame game and throw someone under the bus for a problem.

Many at TI are looking to leave and we all know that many of the SMT are not happy either. It’s such a shame.

Advice to Management

Maybe rather than looking at why so many staff are leaving including new hires and putting it down to change - maybe its not the staff but the leaders.

19 Jul 2017 – COO

Thank you for taking the time to express your personal view however I am sure that the SMT would have their own views. I am extremely proud of how the change you describe has been handled by... More