Thomas International Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.6
Thomas International CEO Amir Qureshi
Amir Qureshi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "What shocked me was how friendly and welcoming everyone was" (in 5 reviews)

• "The management team are accessible and approachable" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/Life balance can be compromised particularly when on leave" (in 9 reviews)

• "The senior management team in particular are an emotional bunch, and sometimes get carried away with their own story" (in 4 reviews)

"Exciting & Innovative"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time

Pros

Thomas is going through a huge period of growth and is transitioning from a family owned to a PE backed business.

As you can imagine there is a lot of change, however, the CEO & SLT always ensured that everyone is kept up to date as much as possible with changes and business updates, through town hall meetings, weekly stand - ups and company events.

The business is going from strength to strength and the CEO and SLT are passionate about our people and improving engagement. Today is a great example of how they are bringing Team Thomas together... the Zoomathon!

Thomas is a fun, exciting and innovative business with the potential to do even more amazing things.

Cons

Thomas is still going through a period of change and transition, but the CEO & SLT are supporting all of the team members throughout this.

As we continue to grow and evolve as a business, we are continuing to refine processes, but this will come in time. Thomas has made great progress this year.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Open communication, remain approachable, give team members a voice and ensure collaboration across all departments.

"Great company, toxic leader"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlow, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlow, England

I have been working at Thomas International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- We have some fantastic tools and instruments that can really help businesses to change for the better
    - There are still a number of awesome people working at Thomas, but this is under threat
    - The potential for change in the business is exciting, if the right leader can be found

Cons

The CEO is a bully who has no respect for people. His behaviour is emotionally erratic and manipulative, being Mr Nice Guy one moment and then driving people to tears the next. He claims to have an open-door policy, but that door is a one-way route to the exit, as has been shown by the disappearance of anyone who dares cross him (although he will tell you that they are all useless). He is personally responsible for the high staff turnover and declining morale since the start of 2018.

Advice to Management

Get a proper CEO who cares about the people, who can motivate and inspire them to grow the company the way the shareholders want.

"Needs improvement"

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England

I worked at Thomas International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great tools. Pockets of brilliance

Cons

senior team was incompetent. All the great people left. Hopefully, it has improved since bringing on a new senior team.

Advice to Management

Be more open and honest

"Clueless"

Current Employee - Sales in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales in London, England

I have been working at Thomas International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing anymore getting worse with more people changing things for the worse. Feel for Palamon

Cons

Too many to say. Continuing to over promise and under delivery.

Advice to Management

Give up

16 May 2018 – CEO

Thank you for taking your time to express how you feel although without any specific detail it is impossible for me to comment. Clearly you are not enjoying being part of the Thomas family so please... More

"5 years in"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Thomas is constantly changing and the pace of change has increases every year. We've recently been acquired by a PE firm which looks likely to accelerate a huge part of our operations, which is very exciting. The new Chairman has made a great impression very quickly and went out of his way to spend time with every team and visit every regional office in the UK so far. Our senior team has changed quite a bit in the past 12 months; our CEO delivered at the most professional, truly global conference we've ever had and recent new joiners like the International MD and UK Sales Director are building on our company culture positively with their prior experience bringing new perspectives and ways of doing things. Career development is excellent, there are frequent internal promotions, secondment opportunities and a collaborative management peer group.

Cons

Due to everyone's ambitions we can jump ahead of ourselves and perhaps take on too much at once and the constant change can be tough for people who want very detailed clarity quite frequently.

Advice to Management

Continue being accessible, it differentiates Thomas from many other companies. Maintain the 'global' feel off the back of the recent conference, it was very engaging.

"Engaging company that cares about it's employees"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time

Pros

Provides opportunity to grow.
    Promotes from within.
    Inclusive SLT.

Cons

There is currently a lot of change which is exciting but at the moment is resulting in a lack of clarity.

"Good"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time

Pros

Fun company, great offices, plenty of opportunity. Good social atmosphere and lots of experience within the management team

Cons

Not much collaboration between departments. Though this is something they are working on at the moment,

Advice to Management

Need to force people out of their comfort zones in order to collaborate and get rid of deadwood

"Not A Better Place To Work"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time

Pros

Thomas international is a great company to start or develop skills in business to achieve overall goals. I first started work at Thomas international and I haven't left since. It really has shown me the strength one company can provide there employees to make it a fun and enjoyable place to work. By working with such talented youthful people and more experience caring older member of staff. Thomas has given me the chance to become skillful in the role that I do every day and I couldn't ask for a better place to have started and work for. It's not only the colleagues I have had the opportunity to work with to make Thomas an amazing place to work. The CEO Amir has been really insiteful to the business on achievements and upcoming projects and just a genuine man to lead to company to success. The SLT team are enthusiastic to not only push the company forward but also my personal career and can happily take a joke. They have worked hard to ensure the business succeeds. It has shown over the years that the business is great for young people and shows that a business as successful as Thomas can trust young people who have only come from school with no background in work and have an amazing impact on the succession which makes the business what it is.

Cons

In my opinion I don't think there are any cons that's I have experienced in my time at Thomas.

Advice to Management

As they do so already, I think the best advice is to just give appraise to everything that it is needed for, just show appreciation as much as possible so that everyone can stay motivated and know how amazing Thomas is to work. And always celebrate success, whether that's taking a team out for a meal or joining in on team day outs, that way there's further communication and a fun side to celebrate the success which is well deserved.

"My experiences of Thomas the first two years"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Products are great albeit dated, the company is investing to improve which is good but we seem to playing catch-up more often than not.
    For all their faults the SLT are approachable.
    Some of the staff are worth their weight in gold but lots of this talent leaves.
    The business has supported me through changes in my personal life.
    Freedom to make the role your own.

Cons

We do not live our values, which is a real shame when we have such powerful tools available.
    Personally their has been no career/personal development offered.
    1-2-1's are pointless as there is no consistency or follow up. The same applies to 360 or Engage.
    I brought into team Thomas however when you ask for help or assistance with challenges outside your skill set its not forthcoming.
    Work/Life balance can be compromised particularly when on leave. This effects individuals physical/mental health and ultimately performance.
    There is no consistency across the business with any of the 7 engage drivers.
    Feels like a weekly email with a colleagues name as the subject leaving - surely this is not sustainable.
    Targets have not been reflective of portfolio's or opportunity.

Advice to Management

I am grateful for the opportunity Thomas has given me & I have not written this as a personal attack on Martin or Thomas. If my experiences helps promote change so other staff have a better experience of Thomas it will go some way to proving this platform has value.
    How about on the next Engage we ask our staff;
    Do you see yourself at Thomas in a years time?

19 Oct 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your review and for outlining both the positives and negatives of working at Thomas from your viewpoint. We are always keen to improve and our people are paramount to our success. We... More

"The Real Thomas"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time

Pros

Contrary to the bitter opinion of those who have left Thomas yet still want to talk about it ad infinitum, Thomas remains a first-class workplace for staff at all levels. It is collaborative and our levels of togetherness are high. This is a direct result of the teamwork and excellent outcomes we achieve by leveraging the talents of others, as well as our fun social environment incorporating both team activities as well as supporting charity events.

Thomas is agile which means we can ramp up the pace when we need to. However we keep communication levels high on the agenda and always show recognition where it is deserved. Visitors to our head office commend our amazing culture and offices.

For those starting out on their career ladders, Thomas allows you to develop at a pace that works for you, learning and growing in your role. We respect the needs of some of our millennial colleagues and create ambitious programmes for those with management potential. We offer departmental and cross-border secondments as much as possible to enhance career pathways.

There are opportunities at all levels, right from work experience and internships through to senior management roles. The culture is unique and we are proud of it.

Cons

We foster a culture of accountability, so you will be encouraged to make decisions quickly, albeit in a safe environment.

Advice to Management

Transparency has always been a positive management trait in Thomas. Long may that continue.

25 Sep 2017 – CEO

Many thanks for your support for our company and demonstrating your commitment and appreciation for what we are trying to achieve. Having a buy-in and loyalty from our employees is essential for us... More