Thomas International Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Thomas International Chairman & CEO Martin Reed
Martin Reed

Pros
  • Thomas has a great culture of celebrating success which I had not seen before and they really reward those that make an impact within the business (in 4 reviews)

• Since joining Thomas in 1999 I have had the privilige of working with some great people (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • It can be difficult sometimes to get the work / life balance correct but this is also the day and age we live in (in 8 reviews)

• The pace of change means that the business has to deal with 'growing pains', mainly related to individual workload (in 5 reviews)

"We are Team Thomas"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlow, England

I have been working at Thomas International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many reasons why Thomas is a great place to work, and instead of a long narrative, I thought I would list the reasons I am passionate about Thomas:
    1. Our tools are the best in the business and I'm proud to talk about them to clients and colleagues because they really do work - and how accurate they are never ceases to amaze me!
    2. The people I have the pleasure of working with are bright, positive, solution focused, respectful, helpful, supportive and above all passionate. The large majority of the company really want Thomas to succeed and be a part of that success
    3. The business is going places - there has been an inordinate shift since the business announced a period of organisational change and I am pleased that the landscape of Thomas has meant that we are working as one team
    4. Supportive people and procedures: everyone has their share of personal challenges and Thomas has been so supportive to me and to others - not common in many businesses - and really important for my personal values. If you aren't feeling this support the important thing to remember is if people don't know, they can't help!
    5. Grow your career - so many people in the business flourishing and growing into new roles and challenges - it's a pleasure to see this success everyday
    6. Social events - action packed calendar of being together, social events and a culture of celebrating success and being one team really shines through
    7. My team - they are collectively and individually brilliant
    8. The benefits package- discounts, health care, emergency doctors, holiday buy, conferences, development, travel subsidies, our Christmas bonus, team days.... I could go on! It would be hard to match in the industry and beyond, but not sure everyone realises or appreciates that
    9. The future - it's exciting to see where we've come from and I'm so excited to see where is going. It's like a cliff hanger in a film. I can't tear my eyes away and that's why Thomas is gets under your skin - I want to see where we can get to as Team Thomas.
    10. I can't stop coming up with reasons...

Cons

As a growing company, it is most suited to people who like to work with a level of autonomy, can use their initiative and can deal with the pace of change. Many who have been here throughout that change have above average levels of personal resilience, so if that isn't for you and long term goals don't motivate you it might not be a comfortable fit.
    Behaviourally and culturally everyone is very welcoming so again if you like to work solo and not as a team, it might not be a good fit.

Advice to Management

It's great to feel and see the support of senior management. A more consistent way of communicating clearly is needed, and the broad brush approach sometimes can be demotivating. By this I mean sending an email targeting certain people, but including the whole group. Easy things to fix, but the impact would be great. Ideal would be to have a budget for each team, so that there is clarity and fairness in recognition and activities for each team. Stop worrying about bitter, vitriolic and personal glassdoor reviews - let's focus on the people in the business!

6 Mar 2017 – CEO

I really value your perspective of Thomas, it's people and it's values as there have been a handful of people posting negative views as they exit the business. Thomas is becoming a great place to ... More

"Great place to work!!"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time

Pros

OK, so before I say anything else, I just want to clarify something. Before starting at Thomas I read through pretty much all of the reviews on here to help me make an informed decision and I am sure that a lot of other people do too. Please, please do not be put off by the recent negative posts, and trust me on this one, as it really is an incredible place to work.

Working for Thomas International is fun (albeit slightly bonkers) exciting and mentally stimulating; you learn lots about others and also so much about yourself too. People work hard, but play hard too; the alcohol is always flowing.

The SMT reward and celebrate success and really make you feel as part of the team. There are some fantastic ambassadors within the business who have a real passion for the products.

There are ambitious plans for growth and I am so excited to be on this journey with Thomas.

Cons

There could be a bit more clarity sometimes, I.e with the new commission scheme bought in this year for sales people.

Advice to Management

No one is perfect, so don't be hard on yourselves especially with the recent negativity on here. Keep doing as you're doing!

7 Mar 2017 – CEO

Glad you can see that we are a bit bonkers sometimes which I hope shows we are still human. Always lots going on with many challenges being thrown at all, but we keep our humour (most the time ... More

"Brilliant culture - this is a super company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlow, England

I have been working at Thomas International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Thomas drives a really strong culture which is focused on the company values and on people. There are lots of opportunities available to us in the Team Thomas family including professional development, international secondments and everyone is encouraged to have a voice. If you are hungry for a fast pace and are looking for a culture that embraces diversity and development, this company is worth exploring!

Cons

The pace is fast and nothing stands still, which is an exciting environment to be in and embraces career development opportunities, but this won't be for everyone. If you are uncomfortable with change and accessible senior leadership, this may not be the culture for you.

Advice to Management

The Senior Team are very visible and approachable. They like to know everyone, to communicate frequently and to get feedback.

6 Mar 2017 – CEO

Really pleased you like the culture and recognise the pace of change isn't for everyone. We look for bright people who can adapt to change, but they need to be street smart intelligence which is why ... More

"Living The Dream and The Values"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlow, England

I have been working at Thomas International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Thomas International is a fast-paced family company who want the very best for their customers; both internal and external. The business is on a constant journey to be better, braver and more successful each year.

There is a strong team culture which is driven around the use of our own tools, particularly engagement. Each member of the SMT is responsible for owning one of the seven drivers of engagement ensuring that the right behaviour and culture is driven from the very top of the business.

Personal and professional development opportunities are there for anyone who wants to take them and there are no limits to the level that an individual can rise to with hard work and commitment. Thomas is a business which truly recognises, and rewards, talent and hard work .

Cons

As a business on a journey to even greater success, the pace of change is non-stop and this is not for everyone. People who want to grow, develop and learn along with the business will have a great time but do stop to consider if this is for you.

Advice to Management

As always, communication is the key. Keeping people in the loop will help to drive the fantastic inclusive culture and team thomas approach even more.

7 Mar 2017 – CEO

The journey we are on is not an easy one and value your feedback about the team and the culture. As you know we like to ensure engagement is at the heart of what we do both as a key tool we sell and ... More

6. "Gaining momentum!"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Thomas has a energy like no other place I have ever worked. There is fun, pace, excitement, collaboration and a passion around the business plan and our growth goals. I thought that this energy may be restricted to the office environment but 3 days with global partners and time with our clients has taught me that it is much more. It is a culture, which might not suit everybody but it is vibrant and youthful. Rarely will you step into a business where everyone can tell you our purpose, our values or current levels of engagement. Everyone understands their assessments, managers are encouraged to allow teams to release their potential and the business focus right now is growth through people.

Cons

Fast pace needs flexible plans. We are encouraged to focus on core activities and objectives that contribute to the business plan. This may not suit some people. I am struggling with 'cons'!

Advice to Management

Communication, delegation & feedback will continue to drive motivation and increase our already amazing 'engagement results' allowing us to be the envy of the market place in terms of job satisfaction.

18 Mar 2017 – CEO

Thank you for the positive feedback, and glad you shared our experience at our recent Global Learning Event. It was fabulous having 100 people from 20 countries participating and learning from each ... More

"Great place to start your careee but...don't stay too long!"

Former Employee - Senior Management Team in Marlow, England
    Former Employee - Senior Management Team in Marlow, England

Pros

A company with massive potential and with some great individuals working there. Interesting services on offer and very loyal customers.

Cons

The organisation has lost its way! It was a very "family friendly" company and sadly this is no longer the case. The sector is one of the most fast moving, fun and future proof ones there is.

Reputations are built on trust and the ability of organisations to flex with a client focus.

Thomas have failed to look after its most important clients and customers....its staff!!!

It's a real shame that will lead to the organisation losing its place and respect in the market. Long serving staff have now lost faith in its transient leadership and there is little clear direction or wider intent. There is simply a quarterly target view.

It's such a shame as the business could have been so much more than it is and will be.

Advice to Management

Re focus on what is important! The people you employ and the brand you want to be. You're now out of step with the market and you need to raise your game in order to keep up.

Stop hitting people with a stick and treat them with the respect they deserve. You're not being fair and you're being VERY short sighted. Step up now or lose out. It's your choice.

28 Feb 2017 – CEO

It's a shame as a senior manager you feel this way, but we have had to make some tough decisions recently about peoples fit into the business, and potentially you have been one of those caught up in ... More

"Proper Passionate People"

Current Employee - ClientDevelopment Consultant in Marlow, England
    Current Employee - ClientDevelopment Consultant in Marlow, England

I have been working at Thomas International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is my first job and since being here I have felt supported and included though it has been a bit of a whirlwind.

It is fast paced and a lot is changing but if we don't change, develop and grow we will not stay ahead as experts in people assessments, teams and cultures.

I don't always know what is coming next but I can't wait to find out!

Cons

thomas make sure they know you well when you are employed (that's what we do after all), sometimes they do not tap into the full potential of their people.

Advice to Management

There is not much to say as I do not know what sort of stress you are under when you in management. Just stay honest and stay passionate, we need and like to know what is happening! Sometimes we don't need to know of course but a lot of us like to be kept up to date.

20 Feb 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback; it is much appreciated. We make every effort to understand our potential talent not only through our robust recruitment process, but through ongoing people development ... More

"Ambitious company handling the challenges of growth well"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some really great people working at Thomas, passionate about their own specialisms and who are always willing to share their considerable knowledge.
    The assessments are amongst the best in the industry and are continuously being developed and improved.
    New technological innovations and development of new global markets are keeping the company on track for continued growth with plenty of opportunities to learn new skills so its an exciting place to be.
    It is refreshing to work for a company where the Senior Team have an open door if you want to talk and a CEO who has always found the time to have a chat with me when I'm in Marlow- I hope as the company grows more corporate this family culture is never lost, as it is hugely positive.
    All employees can voice their opinions and as recently demonstrated at our annual conference these are acted upon.

Cons

Contrary to another review, I don't think there are any more or less politics at Thomas International than anywhere else, although sometimes employees in the field can feel outside of the inner Marlow circle.
    The pace is quick and you will need to be resilient and pragmatic to thrive.
    We need to be careful not to use our accreditations like ISO as an excuse for unnecessary bureaucracy.
    There are a couple of areas in the business which are currently under-resourced and creating frustrating bottlenecks in the flow of work.

Advice to Management

Might be worth considering training up multi-skilled employees who can move from one team to another and fill gaps efficiently to remove the current bottlenecks and relieve some of the pressure faced by under resourced teams?

20 Feb 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We take on board your suggestions about flow of work and evaluating workforce skills and look forward to sharing our focus on career pathways and ... More

"Not what it appears to be"

Pros

Great products. PPA - GIA - Teique -360. Used to have a team of highly talented and motivated professionals- sadly no longer.

Cons

Aggressive, arrogant, weak and bullying management style
    Age discriminates
    No HR expertise
    Only interested in selling web units
    Quality of client training is woeful - no substance
    Appraisal process poor-despite having a good product to use
    Micro-manages using fear as the motivator
    Just a call centre- not what they claim to be.
    Caused a lot of very talented people a great deal of stress.
    The worst leadership I have ever worked under.

Advice to Management

They know it all so wouldnt listen.

7 Mar 2017 – CEO

Not sure if you are talking about head office in the U.K. or some other part of my business so difficult to get into specifics with such general feedback. HR expertise is a team of 6 in the centre so ... More

"Really great products but sadly no longer a great place to work"

Pros

Brilliant products that are easy to use and really work. Seeing how powerful they are and how helpful they can be is great.

Cons

I think the funniest thing about Thomas is that the owner, Martin demonstrates what kind of person he is by his ridiculous responses to reviews on Glassdoor. It's well known that he emails the whole company after any review he perceives as "negative" and that there have been witch hunts undertaken to find out who has written a review and I heard a rumour he even delayed someone being paid their final pay as he was convinced they had written a negative review.

If you want to work for a business that does not value long-serving people then this place is it. At a recent conference he apparently got all the longest serving people to stand and asked them why they were all still there and was it because they couldn't get another job? Wow - way to get staff engagement up!

People are brought in to senior positions and then, when they fail, moved to other positions in "special projects" or they are moved into roles made especially for them or they leave and better still return to the business after a few years on a vastly inflated salary only to leave again.

It's not a level playing field and there are a lot of people throughout the business who are unhappy but since that isn't what Martin wants to hear he will choose to ignore it and deflect the comments in his "response" (which he might like to proof read for spelling errors in future!)

I would never tell someone not to work for Thomas International but what I would say is that the reviews that are perceived to be negative by the Management are a pretty true reflection of the business and Martin's defensive comments and continued line about "clearly you never came and spoke to me" is just hilarious. Perhaps it's a case of him citing "alternative facts" and the recent example he gave suggesting a low rating review on here was like having a "one-off" bad meal at a restaurant made me laugh out loud it was so silly.

Advice to Management

As they clearly think they know it all I wouldn't suggest I could give them any advice.....

20 Feb 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. The business does strive to create a strong and positive working culture and to ensure people are in the right roles. On the few occasions where ... More