Thomas International Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Thomas International CEO Amir Qureshi
Amir Qureshi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/Life balance can be compromised particularly when on leave" (in 9 reviews)

• "If you want to work a 40 week this is definitely not the place be" (in 3 reviews)

"5 years in"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Thomas is constantly changing and the pace of change has increases every year. We've recently been acquired by a PE firm which looks likely to accelerate a huge part of our operations, which is very exciting. The new Chairman has made a great impression very quickly and went out of his way to spend time with every team and visit every regional office in the UK so far. Our senior team has changed quite a bit in the past 12 months; our CEO delivered at the most professional, truly global conference we've ever had and recent new joiners like the International MD and UK Sales Director are building on our company culture positively with their prior experience bringing new perspectives and ways of doing things. Career development is excellent, there are frequent internal promotions, secondment opportunities and a collaborative management peer group.

Cons

Due to everyone's ambitions we can jump ahead of ourselves and perhaps take on too much at once and the constant change can be tough for people who want very detailed clarity quite frequently.

Advice to Management

Continue being accessible, it differentiates Thomas from many other companies. Maintain the 'global' feel off the back of the recent conference, it was very engaging.

"Clueless"

Current Employee - Sales in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales in London, England

I have been working at Thomas International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing anymore getting worse with more people changing things for the worse. Feel for Palamon

Cons

Too many to say. Continuing to over promise and under delivery.

Advice to Management

Give up

16 May 2018 – CEO

Thank you for taking your time to express how you feel although without any specific detail it is impossible for me to comment. Clearly you are not enjoying being part of the Thomas family so please... More

3. "Engaging company that cares about it's employees"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time

Pros

Provides opportunity to grow.
    Promotes from within.
    Inclusive SLT.

Cons

There is currently a lot of change which is exciting but at the moment is resulting in a lack of clarity.

4. "Good"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time

Pros

Fun company, great offices, plenty of opportunity. Good social atmosphere and lots of experience within the management team

Cons

Not much collaboration between departments. Though this is something they are working on at the moment,

Advice to Management

Need to force people out of their comfort zones in order to collaborate and get rid of deadwood

5. "Not A Better Place To Work"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time

Pros

Thomas international is a great company to start or develop skills in business to achieve overall goals. I first started work at Thomas international and I haven't left since. It really has shown me the strength one company can provide there employees to make it a fun and enjoyable place to work. By working with such talented youthful people and more experience caring older member of staff. Thomas has given me the chance to become skillful in the role that I do every day and I couldn't ask for a better place to have started and work for. It's not only the colleagues I have had the opportunity to work with to make Thomas an amazing place to work. The CEO Amir has been really insiteful to the business on achievements and upcoming projects and just a genuine man to lead to company to success. The SLT team are enthusiastic to not only push the company forward but also my personal career and can happily take a joke. They have worked hard to ensure the business succeeds. It has shown over the years that the business is great for young people and shows that a business as successful as Thomas can trust young people who have only come from school with no background in work and have an amazing impact on the succession which makes the business what it is.

Cons

In my opinion I don't think there are any cons that's I have experienced in my time at Thomas.

Advice to Management

As they do so already, I think the best advice is to just give appraise to everything that it is needed for, just show appreciation as much as possible so that everyone can stay motivated and know how amazing Thomas is to work. And always celebrate success, whether that's taking a team out for a meal or joining in on team day outs, that way there's further communication and a fun side to celebrate the success which is well deserved.

"My experiences of Thomas the first two years"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Products are great albeit dated, the company is investing to improve which is good but we seem to playing catch-up more often than not.
    For all their faults the SLT are approachable.
    Some of the staff are worth their weight in gold but lots of this talent leaves.
    The business has supported me through changes in my personal life.
    Freedom to make the role your own.

Cons

We do not live our values, which is a real shame when we have such powerful tools available.
    Personally their has been no career/personal development offered.
    1-2-1's are pointless as there is no consistency or follow up. The same applies to 360 or Engage.
    I brought into team Thomas however when you ask for help or assistance with challenges outside your skill set its not forthcoming.
    Work/Life balance can be compromised particularly when on leave. This effects individuals physical/mental health and ultimately performance.
    There is no consistency across the business with any of the 7 engage drivers.
    Feels like a weekly email with a colleagues name as the subject leaving - surely this is not sustainable.
    Targets have not been reflective of portfolio's or opportunity.

Advice to Management

I am grateful for the opportunity Thomas has given me & I have not written this as a personal attack on Martin or Thomas. If my experiences helps promote change so other staff have a better experience of Thomas it will go some way to proving this platform has value.
    How about on the next Engage we ask our staff;
    Do you see yourself at Thomas in a years time?

19 Oct 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your review and for outlining both the positives and negatives of working at Thomas from your viewpoint. We are always keen to improve and our people are paramount to our success. We... More

"The Real Thomas"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time

Pros

Contrary to the bitter opinion of those who have left Thomas yet still want to talk about it ad infinitum, Thomas remains a first-class workplace for staff at all levels. It is collaborative and our levels of togetherness are high. This is a direct result of the teamwork and excellent outcomes we achieve by leveraging the talents of others, as well as our fun social environment incorporating both team activities as well as supporting charity events.

Thomas is agile which means we can ramp up the pace when we need to. However we keep communication levels high on the agenda and always show recognition where it is deserved. Visitors to our head office commend our amazing culture and offices.

For those starting out on their career ladders, Thomas allows you to develop at a pace that works for you, learning and growing in your role. We respect the needs of some of our millennial colleagues and create ambitious programmes for those with management potential. We offer departmental and cross-border secondments as much as possible to enhance career pathways.

There are opportunities at all levels, right from work experience and internships through to senior management roles. The culture is unique and we are proud of it.

Cons

We foster a culture of accountability, so you will be encouraged to make decisions quickly, albeit in a safe environment.

Advice to Management

Transparency has always been a positive management trait in Thomas. Long may that continue.

25 Sep 2017 – CEO

Many thanks for your support for our company and demonstrating your commitment and appreciation for what we are trying to achieve. Having a buy-in and loyalty from our employees is essential for us... More

"No Change - Still Toxic"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Thomas International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some great colleagues and clients.

Cons

I was with TI for over a decade and put up with the management chaos because of the enjoyment and success I achieved with my clients and the supportive friendships with colleagues. However, in the cull of 2015 I was one of the approximately 50 who left the business.

Read the negative comments in some of the reviews below – I can’t put it any better but to add my validation to those who have put into words what the culture is really like. I find it interesting that many of these comments are from relative "newbies" who have joined the company recently - their experience has been similar to my own and many of my long serving ex colleagues. My advice to anyone considering joining this company would be; DO NOT. If you value yourself and your abilities don’t believe the rhetoric, find another organisation who value achievement and loyalty.

Advice to Management

True change comes from the top. Look at your own values and how you treat your people if you want to effect lasting positive change at Thomas.

25 Sep 2017 – CEO

Many thanks for your review, although as you left more than two years ago your experience and review can't be considered a contemporary one. You left at the beginning of a change that we identified... More

"Bursting at the seams with talent and potential"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

For anyone who has read any previously reviews it will come as no surprise that Thomas is a hugely ambitious company who are taking the journey from good to great at a rapid pace.

Contrary to some opinions posted, I believe that Thomas is heaving with hugely talented, capable and ambitious individuals. We are constantly attracting bright, enthusiastic people who buy into our vision of being the largest, most successful independently owned provider of psychometric assessments.

I have worked for Thomas for many years and whilst it is true that the face of the company is very different to the one I joined I don't consider this a negative. The very essence of success is to evolve and this is something we do incredibly well as a business. It is critical to adapt to the ever changing world and adapt your practices and culture to be the best you can be; nobody wants to be Kodak!!

So many people at Thomas go above and beyond on a daily basis that I find it hard to believe this would happen in a mediocre, disengaged company!

Cons

As ever the pace of change and adaptation can be intense but this is understood and embraced by those who want the company to be successful.

Advice to Management

Don't listen to the naysayers. Concentrate on keeping the first class talent you have in the business engaged and the rest will take care of itself.

"An exciting place to be!"

I have been working at Thomas International full-time

Pros

There are challenges and opportunities to grow and develop exponentially here and everyone genuinely supports each other. Teams join together to celebrate successes every week and are always willing to provide guidance and encouragement when things do not always go as planned! I have never worked for a company where its employees are so in-tune with each other and are all striving for a common goal.

The company as a whole are on a journey to become more agile and responsive to the evolving technology market - this has meant moving into unknown territory and not being afraid to take risks. This has been met with some reluctance and inflexibility from members of the team who are sadly no longer with us, however I personally find this process very exciting to be a part of. Since I have joined Thomas, every day has been different and the amount of trust and freedom to create I have been given is incredibly empowering. I am grateful for the opportunities I have been given so far and hope to continue growing with the business.

Cons

The steep learning curve is not for everyone. If you enjoy learning every day and being outside of your comfort zone then great! If you are looking for something simpler with VERY clear plans for the future, perhaps look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Keep on listening to and involving all of us in important business updates. As long as we are aware that the change is happening, trust will be kept strong.

19 Jul 2017 – COO

It is great to read how positive you feel about being in this fantastic business and the way you clearly approach your role and describe the journey we are on is testament to the "Team Thomas" that... More