Thomas Sanderson Designer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sales Designer"

Former Employee - SALES DESIGNER in Orpington, England
    Former Employee - SALES DESIGNER in Orpington, England

I worked at Thomas Sanderson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good commission and supportive team and technical support. Great basic payment for first 7 weeks to get you started. Good for people new to sales and good place to start career good learning curve. Good office staff very helpful.

Cons

Not very flexible, inexperienced managers using school ground tactics of manipulation & favouritism. The top sales people seem to get the best appointments, keeping the status quo

Advice to Management

Be honest and fair to new beginners and help them grow, listen to both sides of the story when there is a dispute.

2. "Wouldn't go back ...."

Former Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in Basingstoke, England
    Former Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in Basingstoke, England

I worked at Thomas Sanderson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, good product training, commission paid quickly, the product is, without a doubt, excellent.

Cons

Commission only, leads often very poor, work life balance is not considered (you want a day OFF??)
    Its direct sales, its exploitative and hard to make a living (I did by the way) and its absolutely knackering

Advice to Management

Hmmm, not sure there's much point advising management as they are doing very well out of the system so unlikely to change

3. "Took a lot of hard work to make it pay anything half decent"

Former Contractor - Designer in Newcastle, England
    Former Contractor - Designer in Newcastle, England

I worked at Thomas Sanderson as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The products are some of the best on the market and loved by most people although similar products are available from an increasing number of other sources for a lot less money, something you are not told. The commission you earn is paid very promptly but mistakes often occurred which I had to chase or I would lose considerable amounts of money.
    The training is very good but you are not told everything quite as it is in practice. There was a lot of support when the team was stable but there was a lot of manager churn. I met some lovely people which I will miss now I have moved on. Despite the short time scales, the area manager was always committed to you and the appointments involved travel within a sensible geographical area

Cons

I was recruited for my honesty and professionalism and then expected to adopt sales practices that were deceptive. I was encouraged to generate my own business which I did in abundance at substantial time (60-70 hour weeks) and financial cost (equipment and shows) to myself but found disinterest and resistance from the company both it actually tooling me to do this side of the work and in working with the own business leads generated. Sadly I found to my cost that they were more interested in calling me to pester me to cover extra company leads than appointing the ones I generated.
    The pricing tools were clunky and inflexible and made the appointment in front of the customer unnecessarily hard work and hindrance to closing the sale. The pricing was very high and therefore most sales were routinely with large promotions and high discounts to present anything but an embarrassingly high cost which left almost no commission for me on jobs I had put hours of work into. Promotions changed often and sometime were hard or even impossible to find on the pricing tools.

Advice to Management

You need to get to the bottom of the reasons for high turnover of designers which must be very costly for the company? Despite winning a number of prizes I moved onto something else primarily because of the following reasons...
    1. "it is always assumed in the first instance when something doesn't add up that it is the designer's fault" - customer's seemed to be believed before a designer
    2. the attitude to the designer is not good - being constantly referred to as "Designer" or even "des" makes you feel like a number at best. I also disliked customers being referred to as Mr or Mrs.
    3. Calls/queries always seemed to be directed at me on my day off or while I was in appointments that are clearly on the diary and then people wonder why I do not answer or respond immediately!
    4. If you recruit me for my honesty and integrity do not expect me to follow mandatory procedures that are not honest in front of the customer! I intend to keep my integrity thanks very much.
    5. When I have invested a lot of time and money in generating own business and been successful in doing so, please do not treat it as unimportant
    6. When I don't secure a sale in the allocated maximum 3 day period and with the limited discount available to me please don't say I didn't sell it and take away all my commission. I drove there and worked hard winning the customer over for 2 hours or more - so when someone calls with a heavily discounted price a week later and sells it - remember it was actually me that sold to the customer!

Finally - designers desperately need a work life balance - not knowing till 9.00 or even sometimes 10.00 at night which slots you are working the next day 5-7 days a week and driving and facing all kinds of customer in all weathers is a very tough call - try it sometime!

5. "Loved this company"

Former Employee - SALES DESIGNER in Sandbach, England
    Former Employee - SALES DESIGNER in Sandbach, England

I worked at Thomas Sanderson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fabulous Training and support, regular meetings, amazing incentives and really generous commission structure. Products easy to sell as they are the best I have ever seen and my customers loved them

Cons

I didn't want to leave but personal circumstances said I had too. I know the door is open and cannot wait to go back : )

"Not what you're told in training."

Current Employee - SALES DESIGNER in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - SALES DESIGNER in Manchester, England

I have been working at Thomas Sanderson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of free time (too much), if you get a lucky sale from a customer with money to burn you'll get a decent wedge from it. Training bonus for 7 weeks is rather good, but believe me you'll need this and you'll panic after week 7.

Cons

Unsociable hours, hardly any appointments, overpriced products which 95% of people cannot afford, you will be embarrassed every single time you present a price to the customer. You are told you'll get 10-15 appointments per week, I'm lucky to get 4, some weeks I've had 1 or 2 and my diary is completely open 7 days a week all 3 slots, product is hard to sell as is way beyond what other companies charge and you have to discount so much that you'll end up with nothing, to get your RPA monthly bonus you need to have had 20 appointments in the month, only one of my training colleagues managed this. Lots of wasted time with terrible appointments. Unless you have a very well thought out own business plan it will be a waste of your time, and remember you're selling £1000's of products so own business is not easy to generate for anyone. You have to attend regular meetings which could be well over an hour away. Very high turnover of staff (there's reasons for this). Overall very disappointed. Also to add on 2/3 occasions I've been underpaid. There's 2/7 left from my training group, everyone was in high spirits in our training, most of which have left the company within first 2 months. I think mainly my dissatisfaction mainly revolves around not getting my 5 appointments per week, getting 2/3 per week will unlikely get you any commission, and if you sell at 40/50% discount and it "goes towards your RPA", I won't get an RPA bonus anyway because I hadn't reached 20 appointments... therefore without own business sales you'll be earning next to nothing after week 7.

Advice to Management

Well..

7. "Sales Designer - Fabulous Company"

Former Employee - SALES DESIGNER in Birmingham, England

Pros

Fantastic training for beginners & continued advanced training
    Really lovely people to work with – All willing to help you with anything
    Constant support
    Fun & friendly atmosphere
    Beautiful products absolute pleasure to sell – The fitters are superb
    Great pay – Earned £40k+ in my first year
    Head office work really hard in qualifying the appointments

Cons

No Cons, would recommend to anyone – I have only left as expecting a baby.

"Fantastic Company To Start Your Career With!!!!!"

Current Employee - Design Sales Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Design Sales Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Thomas Sanderson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working for Thomas Sanderson since November 2016.

Thomas Sanderson offer a minimum payment for any new starters finishing a sales course once they have passed. What other company offers that?

They are a great family run company who really recognise talent and reward accordingly.

The sales courses you attend after your qualifying in your interview are run to a very high standard which always has follow ups too.

You work the days/ Hours you want and always meet new people.

No day is the same, which can only be a good thing.

You are always based from your postcode and are always an hour away from home on your last appointment so the organising and day to day structuring is very good.

Cons

In all honesty, none. No negatives.

I've not yet met one person who hasn't been helpful.

It really is a great company to represent, and you always want to do well because they have such kind people there ready at hand to genuinely help you!

Advice to Management

Nothing, keep doing what you are doing. The company is run very well. A+++++++++

9. "Thomas-Sanderson"

Current Contractor - SALES DESIGNER in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I have been working at Thomas Sanderson as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

If your looking for a company that tries its utmost to do what it says on the tin, bingo!
    If you are prepared to join in and work hard, you will find an abundance of support and reward.
    You just need to pick up the phone to tap into a wealth of knowledge and support.
    With products and support second to none I am thoroughly enjoying it!

Cons

The distanced travelled used to be much higher, old hand designers were used to these high demands, recently the distances are better controlled although you can elect to travel further if you want to. You need to be mind full of when to leave one appointment to get to the next in time.

Advice to Management

Its highly motivational for us that our very Inspirational leaders accept when they are being praised.

"Stay Clear of Thomas Sanderson"

Former Employee - SALES DESIGNER in Birmingham, England

Pros

None whatsoever!, stay clear at all costs!

Cons

You are expected to work 6 days a week from 9am to 9pm - if lucky enough to have your diary filled you'll have 3 appointments per day and are expected to spend 3Hrs+ with each appointment and explain yourself to management if you don't! If you don't sell on the day you have 3 days to close the deal or it's passed over to an internal team to close who can discount more than you can and you don't get any commission from the sale!
    You are expected to run your own car at your own expense and try to con and pressure customers into buying the HUGELY overpriced products, even though you can discount up to 45% of their 'list' price.....but even if you do discount to the max AND win the sale on the day you'll be luck to get £20 commission from it!!
    Every Manager has their favourites (Brown nose sort, sheep!) and they will ALWAYS get the best appointments, that is the reality of the job!
    Sales Directors God Son runs the team that pick up your open quotes after 3 days - says it all really!!
    Stay well clear of them both as a employee AND as a customer - they rip EVERYONE off!!

Advice to Management

Take a run and jump to yourselves, so full of it!

Thomas Sanderson Response

29 Nov 2016 – Senior Sales Coordinator

Thank you for your review, I am sorry you have had this experience. If you would like to discuss this any further please give me a call on 02392 236 8325. Dottie Davies, Senior Sales Coordinator.

"Designer"

Former Employee - SALES DESIGNER in London, England
    Former Employee - SALES DESIGNER in London, England

I worked at Thomas Sanderson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A good diary system and nice staff

Cons

Appointment quality is very poor. Earnings are not good in comprasison to other direct sales roles RPA bonus can't be achieved due to quality of appointment effecting it!
    Lied to at interview about the earnings figures and performances hidden till you have done the trainning, then you quickly see the numbers don't add up and no one is making real money!

Product is hugely overpriced
    Ridiculous amount of sales kit

£23k a year job once you have taken your exspenses out car etc which for 11pm finishes and a 6 day week just isn't worth it!

Most people who are happy there are either semi retired or new to sales.

If your from a direct sales background don't bother you can earn much more else where!

Advice to Management

Margins are huge offer better rates especially for London!
    Get some proper sales managers!