Thomas Sanderson SALES DESIGNER Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sales Designer"

Current Employee - SALES DESIGNER
    Current Employee - SALES DESIGNER

I have been working at Thomas Sanderson (More than a year)

Pros

I can honestly say 'I love my job'

Before joining Thomas Sanderson I was stuck in abit of a rut after working in my previous role of a recruitment consultant for 8 years. To move into this role it was personally a big step as I had no sales experience but knew I was impressed with the company.

The initial training was brilliant, lots to learn but made me confident about the products and quality service TS offer.

It did take me around 2 months to get on my feet however the £300 top up payments did help support me. The life in sales is very up and down however the ups definitely out way the lows. I have a good relationship with my manager who is always on hand to offer support and training.

Cons

I have now worked here for 18 months and can honestly say wouldn't look back.

2. "An excellent commission only sales position"

Former Freelancer - SALES DESIGNER in Maidstone, England
    Former Freelancer - SALES DESIGNER in Maidstone, England

I worked at Thomas Sanderson (More than a year)

Pros

Thomas Sanderson is a good company to work for which pays good commission. Their products are superior to other competitors and there is genuinely the chance to make decent money in this role. Once established, which for good sales people doesn't take too long, then commission payments are regular and it certainly doesn't feel like you're in any danger of not having an income coming in. As with any sales jobs, there are always ups and downs, however the appointments are always well qualified and there is a lot of help and support from head office.

Cons

This isn't the job for everyone. It does require a lot of travel and evening and weekend work if you want to make a decent living. The products are substantially more expensive than competitors which is always the main objection, however there are genuine reasons for this.

Advice to Management

Perhaps a wider product range.

"Wouldn't go back ...."

Former Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in Basingstoke, England
    Former Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in Basingstoke, England

I worked at Thomas Sanderson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, good product training, commission paid quickly, the product is, without a doubt, excellent.

Cons

Commission only, leads often very poor, work life balance is not considered (you want a day OFF??)
    Its direct sales, its exploitative and hard to make a living (I did by the way) and its absolutely knackering

Advice to Management

Hmmm, not sure there's much point advising management as they are doing very well out of the system so unlikely to change

"Sales Designer"

Former Employee - SALES DESIGNER in Orpington, England
    Former Employee - SALES DESIGNER in Orpington, England

I worked at Thomas Sanderson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good commission and supportive team and technical support. Great basic payment for first 7 weeks to get you started. Good for people new to sales and good place to start career good learning curve. Good office staff very helpful.

Cons

Not very flexible, inexperienced managers using school ground tactics of manipulation & favouritism. The top sales people seem to get the best appointments, keeping the status quo

Advice to Management

Be honest and fair to new beginners and help them grow, listen to both sides of the story when there is a dispute.

5. "Loved this company"

Former Employee - SALES DESIGNER in Sandbach, England
    Former Employee - SALES DESIGNER in Sandbach, England

I worked at Thomas Sanderson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fabulous Training and support, regular meetings, amazing incentives and really generous commission structure. Products easy to sell as they are the best I have ever seen and my customers loved them

Cons

I didn't want to leave but personal circumstances said I had too. I know the door is open and cannot wait to go back : )

"Not what you're told in training."

Current Employee - SALES DESIGNER in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - SALES DESIGNER in Manchester, England

I have been working at Thomas Sanderson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of free time (too much), if you get a lucky sale from a customer with money to burn you'll get a decent wedge from it. Training bonus for 7 weeks is rather good, but believe me you'll need this and you'll panic after week 7.

Cons

Unsociable hours, hardly any appointments, overpriced products which 95% of people cannot afford, you will be embarrassed every single time you present a price to the customer. You are told you'll get 10-15 appointments per week, I'm lucky to get 4, some weeks I've had 1 or 2 and my diary is completely open 7 days a week all 3 slots, product is hard to sell as is way beyond what other companies charge and you have to discount so much that you'll end up with nothing, to get your RPA monthly bonus you need to have had 20 appointments in the month, only one of my training colleagues managed this. Lots of wasted time with terrible appointments. Unless you have a very well thought out own business plan it will be a waste of your time, and remember you're selling £1000's of products so own business is not easy to generate for anyone. You have to attend regular meetings which could be well over an hour away. Very high turnover of staff (there's reasons for this). Overall very disappointed. Also to add on 2/3 occasions I've been underpaid. There's 2/7 left from my training group, everyone was in high spirits in our training, most of which have left the company within first 2 months. I think mainly my dissatisfaction mainly revolves around not getting my 5 appointments per week, getting 2/3 per week will unlikely get you any commission, and if you sell at 40/50% discount and it "goes towards your RPA", I won't get an RPA bonus anyway because I hadn't reached 20 appointments... therefore without own business sales you'll be earning next to nothing after week 7.

Advice to Management

Well..

"Fantastic Company To Start Your Career With!!!!!"

Current Employee - Design Sales Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Design Sales Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Thomas Sanderson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working for Thomas Sanderson since November 2016.

Thomas Sanderson offer a minimum payment for any new starters finishing a sales course once they have passed. What other company offers that?

They are a great family run company who really recognise talent and reward accordingly.

The sales courses you attend after your qualifying in your interview are run to a very high standard which always has follow ups too.

You work the days/ Hours you want and always meet new people.

No day is the same, which can only be a good thing.

You are always based from your postcode and are always an hour away from home on your last appointment so the organising and day to day structuring is very good.

Cons

In all honesty, none. No negatives.

I've not yet met one person who hasn't been helpful.

It really is a great company to represent, and you always want to do well because they have such kind people there ready at hand to genuinely help you!

Advice to Management

Nothing, keep doing what you are doing. The company is run very well. A+++++++++

8. "Thomas-Sanderson"

Current Contractor - SALES DESIGNER in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I have been working at Thomas Sanderson as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

If your looking for a company that tries its utmost to do what it says on the tin, bingo!
    If you are prepared to join in and work hard, you will find an abundance of support and reward.
    You just need to pick up the phone to tap into a wealth of knowledge and support.
    With products and support second to none I am thoroughly enjoying it!

Cons

The distanced travelled used to be much higher, old hand designers were used to these high demands, recently the distances are better controlled although you can elect to travel further if you want to. You need to be mind full of when to leave one appointment to get to the next in time.

Advice to Management

Its highly motivational for us that our very Inspirational leaders accept when they are being praised.

"Stay Clear of Thomas Sanderson"

Former Employee - SALES DESIGNER in Birmingham, England
    Former Employee - SALES DESIGNER in Birmingham, England

Pros

None whatsoever!, stay clear at all costs!

Cons

You are expected to work 6 days a week from 9am to 9pm - if lucky enough to have your diary filled you'll have 3 appointments per day and are expected to spend 3Hrs+ with each appointment and explain yourself to management if you don't! If you don't sell on the day you have 3 days to close the deal or it's passed over to an internal team to close who can discount more than you can and you don't get any commission from the sale!
    You are expected to run your own car at your own expense and try to con and pressure customers into buying the HUGELY overpriced products, even though you can discount up to 45% of their 'list' price.....but even if you do discount to the max AND win the sale on the day you'll be luck to get £20 commission from it!!
    Every Manager has their favourites (Brown nose sort, sheep!) and they will ALWAYS get the best appointments, that is the reality of the job!
    Sales Directors God Son runs the team that pick up your open quotes after 3 days - says it all really!!
    Stay well clear of them both as a employee AND as a customer - they rip EVERYONE off!!

Advice to Management

Take a run and jump to yourselves, so full of it!

Thomas Sanderson Response

29 Nov 2016 – Senior Sales Coordinator

Thank you for your review, I am sorry you have had this experience. If you would like to discuss this any further please give me a call on 02392 236 8325. Dottie Davies, Senior Sales Coordinator.

"Designer"

Former Employee - SALES DESIGNER in London, England
    Former Employee - SALES DESIGNER in London, England

I worked at Thomas Sanderson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A good diary system and nice staff

Cons

Appointment quality is very poor. Earnings are not good in comprasison to other direct sales roles RPA bonus can't be achieved due to quality of appointment effecting it!
    Lied to at interview about the earnings figures and performances hidden till you have done the trainning, then you quickly see the numbers don't add up and no one is making real money!

Product is hugely overpriced
    Ridiculous amount of sales kit

£23k a year job once you have taken your exspenses out car etc which for 11pm finishes and a 6 day week just isn't worth it!

Most people who are happy there are either semi retired or new to sales.

If your from a direct sales background don't bother you can earn much more else where!

Advice to Management

Margins are huge offer better rates especially for London!
    Get some proper sales managers!