Thor Companies Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.4

"Amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Associate in London, England

I have been working at Thor Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great career development personalised to you - Amazing working culture - Great flexibility - Really fun incentives tailored to levels - The Managers really care about your development and what you want to do

Cons

There is always something to pick at with a company that is growing - but the positives outweigh this by miles!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Thor Companies2019-09-18

September 19, 2019Operations & HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback - i am glad to hear you are so positive about the company! We want our team to be fully involved in the growth of the company and in the direction it takes; we encourage everyone to raise any ideas they have with the Directors, Senior Management or the VALAD team so that we can continue to grow the 'pros' list!

"Don't fall into the trap - recruitment is tough but can be better than this!"

Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Thor Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a lot of great and hardworking people at Thor. The company arranges lots of fun and adventurous events for its staff who most certainly deserve it. There are a lot of good ideas floating around about how to improve the company and how to engrain the traditions and initiatives already in place. It is a great place to be if you want to make some great friends but are also willing to have an extremely... ‘scheduled’ work life. You will potentially make some money once you are promoted and the 10% commission threshold applies to you but with very little time to put that money to use due to the company social calendar where you are looked down upon if you don’t attend as well as the working hours.

Cons

Unfortunately for the company the people at the steering wheel lack empathy and management experience. The fact that during Mental Health Awareness week employees were given items to help them relax in order to improve productivity at work is shambles - that is not what mental health is about. There are no one ensuring checks and balances within the management team and no one for the management to be accountable... towards. If you ever disagree or speak up they claim you will be heard but the response you receive is often reflected by your performance. The fact that there is no properly trained Human Resources department (apart from the newly employed L&D professional) means no one speaks up for employees when the management simply overstep the mark which happens regularly. Long hours, hard work and the dreaded cold calling, you have one hour for lunch between 11.30 and 12.30 and not a minute earlier or longer and twice a day you're checked on everything you have done the session before. Recruitment is recruitment, though there are many recruitment companies in London with more of a modern outlook on doing recruitment and doesn’t resemble a call centre like Thor does. Thor tries to make out they aren't another typical agency, but they are... As a graduate you may not know any better and they will encourage the feeling that there is nothing better out there - don't fall into the trap.

Thor Companies2019-08-02

August 6, 2019Operations & HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback – as you have raised many points, I would like to acknowledge and respond to each so that you know you are being heard. We agree that our biggest strength as a company are the people within it, particularly those who are adding the value of the great ideas you mention to improve the company, traditions, initiatives and culture. We wanted to create a company that we would be happy to work at and we regularly work hard to continue this philosophy with the “fun and adventurous events” – I am glad that you enjoyed those that you attended. I think your wording is slightly misleading in your last ‘pro point’ as it refers to a threshold which we do not have; I believe what you are referring to is the different commission schemes depending on your role. These schemes range from 10% - 30%, with no threshold so you earn off everything that you bring into the business. It is a shame that you felt there is pressure to join the social events run by Thor; we have worked hard over the last 6 months to make sure that our socials offer something for everyone. They are completely optional and most people pick and choose which they want to attend; however as you mention, Thor is a place to make great friends and as such a lot of our employees can be found socialising together outside of work. The senior management team have on average 4-5 years’ experience in management prior to working at Thor; we do however promote from within and anyone within the company can move in to a management position even if they do not have management experience. To assist this transition, we sent our management team on an external training course which gave them specific and regular development in this area over the course of 6 months. We have another external leadership programme in the pipeline for aspiring team leaders and we have non-executive directors and advisers who work closely with the 4 directors to ensure that we are growing and building the company in the best way possible. Our L&D Manager holds a double Masters, one of which is in Mental Health Studies from Kings College London so is extremely well placed to determine how we can support awareness. It does surprise me that you mention the Mental Health Awareness Week boxes that were given out on the first day, but do not mention the rest of the activities and advice handed out that week. Our focus was to promote sleep, nutrition and exercise as important aspects of living a balanced life and to mitigate the stress of any job. Within this we had group activities and daily recipes, and sent out contact details for key mental health charities with advice on who to talk to if you were having troubles. Lots of Thor employee’s enjoy 1.5hrs lunch breaks so that they can get to the gym and maintain a ‘healthy body, healthy mind’. Finally, HR departments are traditionally found within larger company’s; at present our UK office is too small to warrant a dedicated HR Manager, instead the HR duties are shared out between our Operations, Accounts and L&D functions. If there was a situation relevant to yourself that you feel was mishandled, please get in touch so that we can review the situation and ensure that we have learnt from it or can ensure the necessary actions are taken. I would be happy to meet with you for a coffee away from the office if there is further feedback you wish to give; please do get in touch via my number or email (aa@thor-companies.com)

3. "Good place to start but take it with a pinch of salt."

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Thor Companies full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Manageable KPI’s at times, which are reviewed weekly and given advice how to improve them - Great office location - Good access to nearby tube stations - Directors are at hand on the sales floor giving you valuable tips and advice - Social setting in is good and majority of the employees were very friendly people - Work life balance is good too - Flexible career progression, whether that would specialise... going into management or still continue on the recruitment path - Good competitive spirit around the company with sales days etc.

Cons

- More emphasis on training and development. 1 week hands on training isn’t enough for some and not everyone is capable of hitting the ground running perfectly. If the company is as market niche as it claims to be, then more training should be emphasised on how to attract the best candidates and clients in the assigned market/industry as much and as early as possible instead of 1 weeks training (very fresh in the... role when speaking to very senior people) , which leads to rejection from x amount of candidates or clients early on. I understand that it’s a trial and error approach but the amount of candidates in your assigned market/industry isn’t infinite and you’ll slowly run out of candidates if you don’t nail it at the start. - Let employees know before they start whether it is contingent or retained recruitment that they will be doing. People doing contingent should be given more time to fully develop their recruitment skills (if they are fresh to recruitment). I’ve seen people entering the company doing retained recruitment and went off to a flying start and all credit to them. But it you end up doing contingent, just know that you’ll be in for a struggle at the start but eventually you will attract clients and candidates over time. - Poor communication between team leaders and managers at times which leads to misled targets. - Also, try and be more vague in your approach of making employees write reviews on Glassdoor when they have only been there for a very short time. Of course, it’s great to have good reviews on a company but don’t remind them after 3 months starting there to write a review on Glassdoor. Be more casual in that approach. I’m pretty sure that people who have been there longer and left have different reviews instead of the 5 star flashy ratings being given previously (which are most likely those after being in the company the 3 first months). -Notice period: Absolutely awful. If you are planning on expanding the business, then focus those resources on giving notice periods to employees who may be on their way out of the company too. Being called into a meeting after a normal working day and being told to leave with no warning or indication whatsoever is devastating and heartbreaking for people who have no plans of leaving.

Advice to Management

- As mentioned, more training and development for people entering the company. - More emphasis on job security (i.e notice periods). You truly have a very talented bunch of recruiters and do your upmost in keeping them and motivating them. -Managers and team leaders need to communicate more between themselves which makes it easier for people under them to understand their targets and objectives.

Thor Companies2019-05-09

May 10, 2019Operations & HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback – you have clearly put a lot of thought in to this and we welcome it. I wanted to take some time to answer the concerns you raised; Firstly, we absolutely agree with you that training and development is of the upmost importance. It can be very difficult to find the balance between giving as much information out as quickly as possible and overloading people so they cannot learn each skill effectively. To aid this, we have hired a Learning & Development Manager who started just last week and will be redesigning our training programme. This should also help us to better support our employees working across all markets and recruitment models. With regards to the Glassdoor reviews; the only reminders sent out in the first 3 months are for interview reviews; this is to ensure that the interview questions and process are still fresh in the minds of those who have done them. Interview reviews on Glassdoor are a useful tool for internal candidates to refer to when they are in the interview process themselves as it helps them prepare. Finally, on notice periods and job security. I am sorry you have had a bad experience in this area; our notice periods are clearly stated in our offer letters and employment contracts. As is often the way with the recruitment industry, it can be better for both parties to use gardening leave for the notice period. When an employee leaves Thor Companies they have meetings with the Directors and myself as HR manager to ensure the conditions around their leaving are fully understood and agreed by both parties. Overall it sounds like you have had a positive experience at Thor Companies, but thank you for the feedback. All the best for the future.

4. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Thor Companies full-time

Pros

I have only been at the company for a couple of months, however, the good impression I had from the start has only increased. I have been welcomed into the company by my colleagues and managers, and have been invited to take part in the benefits of working here from day one. The culture is friendly and approachable, and your managers give you substantial support from day one. Whether you join as a junior or... senior, your experience is tailored to your needs and you get to use your strengths to become the best recruiter possible. It is evident by the thorough interview process , that Thor takes great pride in its people and invest heavily in your training and development. You are given the opportunity to become an expert in your field, while continuously progressing your career - if you are an ambitious person, this is a good place to be. The incentives are great (pushes you, but are achievable), you get to be part of very social teams who enjoy having a good time, and the Scandinavian/British culture brings a breath of fresh air.

Cons

You get out what you put in. If you have a good attitude, wish to achieve and contribute positively, you will fit in and do well.

Thor Companies2019-01-08

January 10, 2019Operations & HR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback! We are glad your first few months have been so positive; we work really hard to support people at all levels and will continue to run training sessions for all.

5. "Recuiter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Thor Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nicer then other agencies and nice people working there

Cons

Lack of structure and non flexible

Thor Companies2018-12-08

December 10, 2018Operations & HR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback! We agree that we've managed to hire a nice group of people that we are incredibly proud of! As you will know, we have recently conducted 6 small group discussions where we looked at hours, flexibility, trust and our incentives. The results of these discussions will come out in January. You don't specify where you believe we lack structure; if this is career ladder based, I would be happy to go over the career structure documents and individual job specifications with you at any time, they can also be found in the company documents folder. If another area, please do remember that as always we have an open door for any suggestions or concerns you might have.

6. "New thinking company with great culture"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Thor Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

-We're all a big family. I entered Thor a year ago and I've never felt more at home when I'm at work. Everyone's there for each other and even though the company is growing, that personal touch will probably never disappear. -You get loads of incentives and competitions to motivate you in your day to day job. You've got big targets like the summer holiday or the ski trip, but also the smaller ones like breakfasts..., early finishes etc. -The directors are with you on the sales floor and don't hesitate a second to come over and help you if their expertise is needed. -Scandinavian and British culture merged together at its best. Great coffee machine as well as good hours and soft approach, but with the British pro activeness and hard working mentality. -A lot of trips to the country you focus on. It's very nice to be able to combine a Friday of business with a weekend back home. -THE VIEW -You're always heard and your opinion matters to the management team. -Longer lunch and earlier finish on Fridays -Even when things go bad you've always got the support from the management team, they invest in you long term.

Cons

-The office can be a bit cold so it's good to bring a jumper

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, hold on to the personal approach to your employees and don't lose the Scandinavian touch.

Thor Companies2018-09-17

November 21, 2018Operations & HR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback! Your opinions do matter and that is why we have so many ways in which you can give us feedback, both anonymously and in person.

7. "Truly Inclusive Meritocracy with Amazing Vision and International Scope"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Thor Companies full-time for less than a year

Pros

My first meeting with Thor took place on a day when I had many interviews stacked up by my Recruiter. The first thing that hit me when I walked in was the view. The office is in Westminster Tower and has a full view of the Thames. Wherever you sit in the office you can see Parliament Westminster Abbey, Lambeth Palace, Vauxhall Tower, Battersea Power Station, and numerous other landmarks in the London skyline. Mixed... with the buzzing atmosphere and babbling mix of Scandinavian tongues, it was almost overwhelming. I was hilariously overdressed. There I was with my hair slicked back, donning a three-piece suit and trench coat, when everyone else in the office was dressed ranging from comfy to smart casual. As if I wasn't nervous enough. I was shown to the boardroom, where I waited for a couple of minutes. I was given a coffee from the machine in the break room; which i had only just began to sip when one of the directors walked in. At this point I was truly considering throwing in the towels with my processes. Nowhere had impressed me. But this was different. over the next hour and a half, I was exposed to a grand vision; of recruitment a different way. Of a truly international workforce assisting the most exciting companies across the globe. Of quality over quantity, partnerships over transactions, and a truly mixed cultural approach to business. Of competition and meritocracy that didn't leave anyone behind; as long as they respected the vision and put in the graft. Risk, reward, adventure, international exposure, rapid growth, close training from the top dogs, socials that seem completely affordable. I went to my next interview a little bit flighty. When the interview there told them that the vision was to sell off the company in a few years, I almost kicked off. Is it asking for too much to be valued by those you work with? Or are all salesmen inevitably just as replaceable as the furniture? I called my recruiter and told her straight: "I want Thor." This might sound a bit much, but it’s true. This place is wildly different from the scores of KPI mad city boys and trendy Shoreditch-ites trying to 'reshape recruitment' one dodgy dealing at a time. I would not have hired me. Thor saw something different in me and decided to take a gamble. Since joining this company, I have been on several international business trips. They sent me, a 20-year-old, to go and generate business. They trusted me and decided to take a risk. I didn't hit my target, but they still flew me out to Cannes with the entire company for a long weekend living a lifestyle I never thought would be accessible to me. I have been trained one on one by all the directors; even those in the States when they came to visit. How many companies have a set up where the top-dogs sit in a room and run you through all the theory, all the methods; from day one? I have never once felt unfairly pressurised, and I have been encouraged consistently to learn from my mistakes. I can truly say that I am close friends with the clear majority of my co-workers, and there is no one that I don't get on with. We work hard together, and we blow off steam together in one hell of a fashion. I have had a full immersion in the culture of Scandinavia, from Fika and Kvikk Lunsj to Midsommar and Syttende mai. I have been allowed to be salesy rugby-loving Brit that I am whilst learning how to become a hybrid businessman in some of the most dynamic markets in the world. This company has the best of both. If you're a boisterous British salesman, you'll love it. If you're a relationship-oriented Scandinavian looking to live in a great city and really grow as a person; you'll love it. If you're looking for a company with amazing people, great and legitimate opportunity for career progression, inclusive socials with strong competition and amazing rewards for those that really excel, an amazing vision, and an amazing future; this is the company for you.

Cons

-It can be difficult to fit in at first to this highly mixed culture As a Brit, I struggled at first to understand and appreciate the way my Scandinavian colleagues approached work and play, but the pay off has been massive. -London can be a really difficult city to live in. its hard to adjust to and can be expensive. However, loads of help is available and everyone is willing to show you the city and teach you... how to make the most of it.

Advice to Management

I sat next to manager over my first six moths and got intense training from him and the D's all the time. Please don't lose this as you grow! People really appreciate seeing you around the desk and find the training really useful. Continue to encourage the amazing and unique culture that you have built here.

Thor Companies2018-09-14

November 21, 2018Operations & HR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to provide such an in-depth review! We're happy to hear that we are demonstrating our different approach to recruitment in the interview stages and that it is attracting the right talent for us. London can certainly be an expensive city to live in but we're glad to hear this hasn't affected your enjoyment!

8. "Nice place to work"

I have been working at Thor Companies full-time

Pros

- Fun, lively culture where everyone gets along and respects one another. - Well thought out first week and training schedule which eases you into the role. - Experienced colleagues who don't mind you asking them questions and use their own time to help you out - Fast paced, competitive environment that inspires you to push yourself but doesn't compromise your well being. - My managers great at what he... does and genuinely just wants to get the best from people. Always there to help if you ask.

Cons

- Office location (it's beautiful) but for me a bit of a pain to get to/from - At times it can be challenging to be new in a company where there are clear high achievers, can feel a bit useless. - Love the early start but if you want to get all your stuff done properly early finish doesn't happen too often

Advice to Management

Nothing to add at this stage in my career. So far, so good!

Thor Companies2018-06-09

November 21, 2018Operations & HR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback! We are very glad to hear the positive comments around the training schedule - as you know from the AGM this is one of our key objectives for the year. We are currently reviewing how we can streamline the admin side of the role to ensure that people can enjoy the "work smart" initiative and leave on time.

"Unbelievably Refreshing (& the view!!!)"

I have been working at Thor Companies full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexibility, autonomy, international travel promoted, inclusive incentives for the entire company (not just to top 2% like in my previous), the best 180 degree view of the Thames in London. I actually do not know where to start. I was successful in my old company in London but i felt like i was in a work house working 12hr days. Thor has shown me the light and I can only thank their persistence - although I was... unhappy in my last role, I was doing very well so I wasn't an easy head hunt for them :)

Cons

I agree with the previous post in that the only thing I can say needs improving is more perhaps slightly more investment into the back office. The Directors are great at moving the business forwards and achieving their visions but make sure it's not at the determent of the support functions. As I write this i know it is high on their agenda so I'm not really that concerned to be honest. Plus Thors commission... schemes more than make up for a bit of extra admin ;)

Advice to Management

The Directors are pretty young but they have vision. I love the culture, we all do and our so we need to keep that going Keep the one team one dream ethos Love early start, early finish

Thor Companies2018-02-13

November 21, 2018Operations & HR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback! In the last year we have put a lot of investment in to our back office and will continue to do so to support our consultants and allow them to focus on the important aspects of their jobs!

10. "A Fresh Outlook on Recruitment"

Current Employee - Team Leader in London, England

I have been working at Thor Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Thor is a company in it's 5th year boasting an excellent record of never having a employee resign to go to a competitor. Recruitment in London has a reputation for being very cut throat and pressurised environment; driven by KPIs and fast results. Thor Companies is a place where we nurture our employees into the job, paying close attention in the early phases of a young consultant's career to make sure their work... is more about quality than quantity. As long as the person has the core attributes needed in sales such as motivation, drive and confidence, we are able to nurture them into our bespoke style of recruitment service. We are firm believers in a team environment where everybody helps each other. There is absolutely no jealously or "every man for himself" culture. Everyone is working towards the common goal of making the company a success so we always share information, clients and candidates. That is the best way to deliver to our clients, make cash for yourself and your team members. The company runs excellent incentives including a club lunch target every month where we head to Michelin starred restaurants and do some of the coolest activities London has to offer. Every summer we have a holiday target where the whole company goes to the French Riviera - the last 2 years we have been to Cannes and St Tropez. Every winter we have a skiing incentive to go to Verbier, both of which are achievable targets. We work in markets where our clients are locked in to our philosophy and actively encourage attendance for meetings and conferences to win new business and develop relationships - wherever in the world it may be! There are not enough candidates for the jobs we have so there is plenty of work to go around. My top performing rookie has made over 35k in her first year. The top performing rookie in the company has taken home a 12k pay cheque after 11 months! Finally, we have just moved in to our new office to accommodate our growth with an excellent 7th floor view over Westminster Abbeyy, London Eye and the Thames. We love a game of darts during our 1.5hr lunch breaks and a couple of drinks on a Thursday after work or to celebrate a successful week in the office on a Friday afternoon.

Cons

The reasons Thor Companies is able to reward staff so highly is because of the lack of overheads. We are responsible for all of our invoicing, administration and ordering office equipment etc. and do not have a huge support function. This can make for some tedious tasks outside of the buzz of selling. Typically, recruitment takes an investment of time and effort during the week so the expectation to "put a shift... in" is always there. This can result in some evenings where you are staying a bit later to ensure you achieve the correct results and deliver. With all recruitment and sales jobs; you get out what you put in!

Advice to Management

Stick to your mentality of valuing all of your staff and developing people with raw drive and talent. The way you reward the employees is much appreciated and the recognition you give people goes a long way to making for such a positive environment. Developing the internal systems and recording of information still needs some investment, however, the steps you are taking with this very much feels like the wheels... are in motion to make consultant's lives easier.

Thor Companies2017-09-06