Thor Companies Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 12 February 2019

4.7
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Thor Companies full-time

Pros

I have only been at the company for a couple of months, however, the good impression I had from the start has only increased.

I have been welcomed into the company by my colleagues and managers, and have been invited to take part in the benefits of working here from day one. The culture is friendly and approachable, and your managers give you substantial support from day one. Whether you join as a junior or senior, your experience is tailored to your needs and you get to use your strengths to become the best recruiter possible.

It is evident by the thorough interview process , that Thor takes great pride in its people and invest heavily in your training and development. You are given the opportunity to become an expert in your field, while continuously progressing your career - if you are an ambitious person, this is a good place to be.

The incentives are great (pushes you, but are achievable), you get to be part of very social teams who enjoy having a good time, and the Scandinavian/British culture brings a breath of fresh air.

Cons

You get out what you put in. If you have a good attitude, wish to achieve and contribute positively, you will fit in and do well.

10 Jan 2019 – Operations & HR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave feedback! We are glad your first few months have been so positive; we work really hard to support people at all levels and will continue to run training sessions... More

2. "Recuiter"

I have been working at Thor Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nicer then other agencies and nice people working there

Cons

Lack of structure and non flexible

10 Dec 2018 – Operations & HR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback! We agree that we've managed to hire a nice group of people that we are incredibly proud of!
    As you will know, we have recently conducted 6 small... More

3. "New thinking company with great culture"

I have been working at Thor Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-We're all a big family. I entered Thor a year ago and I've never felt more at home when I'm at work. Everyone's there for each other and even though the company is growing, that personal touch will probably never disappear.

-You get loads of incentives and competitions to motivate you in your day to day job. You've got big targets like the summer holiday or the ski trip, but also the smaller ones like breakfasts, early finishes etc.
    -The directors are with you on the sales floor and don't hesitate a second to come over and help you if their expertise is needed.
    -Scandinavian and British culture merged together at its best. Great coffee machine as well as good hours and soft approach, but with the British pro activeness and hard working mentality.
    -A lot of trips to the country you focus on. It's very nice to be able to combine a Friday of business with a weekend back home.
    -THE VIEW
    -You're always heard and your opinion matters to the management team.
    -Longer lunch and earlier finish on Fridays
    -Even when things go bad you've always got the support from the management team, they invest in you long term.

Cons

-The office can be a bit cold so it's good to bring a jumper

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, hold on to the personal approach to your employees and don't lose the Scandinavian touch.

21 Nov 2018 – Operations & HR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback! Your opinions do matter and that is why we have so many ways in which you can give us feedback, both anonymously and in person.

4. "Truly Inclusive Meritocracy with Amazing Vision and International Scope"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Thor Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My first meeting with Thor took place on a day when I had many interviews stacked up by my Recruiter. The first thing that hit me when I walked in was the view. The office is in Westminster Tower and has a full view of the Thames. Wherever you sit in the office you can see Parliament Westminster Abbey, Lambeth Palace, Vauxhall Tower, Battersea Power Station, and numerous other landmarks in the London skyline. Mixed with the buzzing atmosphere and babbling mix of Scandinavian tongues, it was almost overwhelming.

I was hilariously overdressed. There I was with my hair slicked back, donning a three-piece suit and trench coat, when everyone else in the office was dressed ranging from comfy to smart casual. As if I wasn't nervous enough.

I was shown to the boardroom, where I waited for a couple of minutes. I was given a coffee from the machine in the break room; which i had only just began to sip when one of the directors walked in.

At this point I was truly considering throwing in the towels with my processes. Nowhere had impressed me. But this was different. over the next hour and a half, I was exposed to a grand vision; of recruitment a different way. Of a truly international workforce assisting the most exciting companies across the globe. Of quality over quantity, partnerships over transactions, and a truly mixed cultural approach to business. Of competition and meritocracy that didn't leave anyone behind; as long as they respected the vision and put in the graft. Risk, reward, adventure, international exposure, rapid growth, close training from the top dogs, socials that seem completely affordable.

I went to my next interview a little bit flighty. When the interview there told them that the vision was to sell off the company in a few years, I almost kicked off. Is it asking for too much to be valued by those you work with? Or are all salesmen inevitably just as replaceable as the furniture? I called my recruiter and told her straight: "I want Thor."

This might sound a bit much, but it’s true. This place is wildly different from the scores of KPI mad city boys and trendy Shoreditch-ites trying to 'reshape recruitment' one dodgy dealing at a time.

I would not have hired me. Thor saw something different in me and decided to take a gamble.

Since joining this company, I have been on several international business trips. They sent me, a 20-year-old, to go and generate business. They trusted me and decided to take a risk.

I didn't hit my target, but they still flew me out to Cannes with the entire company for a long weekend living a lifestyle I never thought would be accessible to me.

I have been trained one on one by all the directors; even those in the States when they came to visit. How many companies have a set up where the top-dogs sit in a room and run you through all the theory, all the methods; from day one?

I have never once felt unfairly pressurised, and I have been encouraged consistently to learn from my mistakes.

I can truly say that I am close friends with the clear majority of my co-workers, and there is no one that I don't get on with. We work hard together, and we blow off steam together in one hell of a fashion.

I have had a full immersion in the culture of Scandinavia, from Fika and Kvikk Lunsj to Midsommar and Syttende mai. I have been allowed to be salesy rugby-loving Brit that I am whilst learning how to become a hybrid businessman in some of the most dynamic markets in the world.

This company has the best of both. If you're a boisterous British salesman, you'll love it. If you're a relationship-oriented Scandinavian looking to live in a great city and really grow as a person; you'll love it.

If you're looking for a company with amazing people, great and legitimate opportunity for career progression, inclusive socials with strong competition and amazing rewards for those that really excel, an amazing vision, and an amazing future; this is the company for you.

Cons

-It can be difficult to fit in at first to this highly mixed culture As a Brit, I struggled at first to understand and appreciate the way my Scandinavian colleagues approached work and play, but the pay off has been massive.

-London can be a really difficult city to live in. its hard to adjust to and can be expensive. However, loads of help is available and everyone is willing to show you the city and teach you how to make the most of it.

Advice to Management

I sat next to manager over my first six moths and got intense training from him and the D's all the time. Please don't lose this as you grow! People really appreciate seeing you around the desk and find the training really useful.

Continue to encourage the amazing and unique culture that you have built here.

21 Nov 2018 – Operations & HR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to provide such an in-depth review! We're happy to hear that we are demonstrating our different approach to recruitment in the interview stages and that it is attracting... More

5. "Nice place to work"

I have been working at Thor Companies full-time

Pros

- Fun, lively culture where everyone gets along and respects one another.

- Well thought out first week and training schedule which eases you into the role.

- Experienced colleagues who don't mind you asking them questions and use their own time to help you out

- Fast paced, competitive environment that inspires you to push yourself but doesn't compromise your well being.

- My managers great at what he does and genuinely just wants to get the best from people. Always there to help if you ask.

Cons

- Office location (it's beautiful) but for me a bit of a pain to get to/from

- At times it can be challenging to be new in a company where there are clear high achievers, can feel a bit useless.

- Love the early start but if you want to get all your stuff done properly early finish doesn't happen too often

Advice to Management

Nothing to add at this stage in my career. So far, so good!

21 Nov 2018 – Operations & HR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback! We are very glad to hear the positive comments around the training schedule - as you know from the AGM this is one of our key objectives for the year... More

"Unbelievably Refreshing (& the view!!!)"

I have been working at Thor Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, autonomy, international travel promoted, inclusive incentives for the entire company (not just to top 2% like in my previous), the best 180 degree view of the Thames in London. I actually do not know where to start. I was successful in my old company in London but i felt like i was in a work house working 12hr days.

Thor has shown me the light and I can only thank their persistence - although I was unhappy in my last role, I was doing very well so I wasn't an easy head hunt for them :)

Cons

I agree with the previous post in that the only thing I can say needs improving is more perhaps slightly more investment into the back office. The Directors are great at moving the business forwards and achieving their visions but make sure it's not at the determent of the support functions.

As I write this i know it is high on their agenda so I'm not really that concerned to be honest. Plus Thors commission schemes more than make up for a bit of extra admin ;)

Advice to Management

The Directors are pretty young but they have vision.
    I love the culture, we all do and our so we need to keep that going
    Keep the one team one dream ethos
    Love early start, early finish

21 Nov 2018 – Operations & HR Manager

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback! In the last year we have put a lot of investment in to our back office and will continue to do so to support our consultants and allow them to focus... More

7. "A Fresh Outlook on Recruitment"

Current Employee - Team Leader in London, England
    Current Employee - Team Leader in London, England

I have been working at Thor Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Thor is a company in it's 5th year boasting an excellent record of never having a employee resign to go to a competitor. Recruitment in London has a reputation for being very cut throat and pressurised environment; driven by KPIs and fast results.
    Thor Companies is a place where we nurture our employees into the job, paying close attention in the early phases of a young consultant's career to make sure their work is more about quality than quantity. As long as the person has the core attributes needed in sales such as motivation, drive and confidence, we are able to nurture them into our bespoke style of recruitment service.
    We are firm believers in a team environment where everybody helps each other. There is absolutely no jealously or "every man for himself" culture. Everyone is working towards the common goal of making the company a success so we always share information, clients and candidates. That is the best way to deliver to our clients, make cash for yourself and your team members.
    The company runs excellent incentives including a club lunch target every month where we head to Michelin starred restaurants and do some of the coolest activities London has to offer. Every summer we have a holiday target where the whole company goes to the French Riviera - the last 2 years we have been to Cannes and St Tropez. Every winter we have a skiing incentive to go to Verbier, both of which are achievable targets.
    We work in markets where our clients are locked in to our philosophy and actively encourage attendance for meetings and conferences to win new business and develop relationships - wherever in the world it may be! There are not enough candidates for the jobs we have so there is plenty of work to go around. My top performing rookie has made over 35k in her first year. The top performing rookie in the company has taken home a 12k pay cheque after 11 months!
    Finally, we have just moved in to our new office to accommodate our growth with an excellent 7th floor view over Westminster Abbeyy, London Eye and the Thames. We love a game of darts during our 1.5hr lunch breaks and a couple of drinks on a Thursday after work or to celebrate a successful week in the office on a Friday afternoon.

Cons

The reasons Thor Companies is able to reward staff so highly is because of the lack of overheads. We are responsible for all of our invoicing, administration and ordering office equipment etc. and do not have a huge support function. This can make for some tedious tasks outside of the buzz of selling.
    Typically, recruitment takes an investment of time and effort during the week so the expectation to "put a shift in" is always there. This can result in some evenings where you are staying a bit later to ensure you achieve the correct results and deliver. With all recruitment and sales jobs; you get out what you put in!

Advice to Management

Stick to your mentality of valuing all of your staff and developing people with raw drive and talent.
    The way you reward the employees is much appreciated and the recognition you give people goes a long way to making for such a positive environment.
    Developing the internal systems and recording of information still needs some investment, however, the steps you are taking with this very much feels like the wheels are in motion to make consultant's lives easier.

8. "Friendly, Inclusive and Supportive"

I have been working at Thor Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The first thing you notice when you join Thor is how much everyone genuinely gets on with each other; Thor have retained their start up "family feel" as they have grown and upon joining everyone is friendly and inclusive making you feel at home quickly.

Consultants have daily interaction with the company directors including regular training sessions and are supported and invested in fully.

Employees are able to progress their careers as quickly (or not) as they want with a "grow your own" management team and positions of respect earned.

All suggestions are listened to (from which coffee machine the company has to which markets we infiltrate next) and most are implemented.

Cons

I am yet to find a con for working here; we are treated with respect and offered responsibility, autonomy and the chance to influence the direction of the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees

9. "Thor Companies - "Brilliant culture""

I have been working at Thor Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having been at Thor for just over three months now, I am one of the newer members of the team and also one of the youngest. This wasn't an issue thanks to the brilliant culture that has been adopted by everyone here.

There is an equal level of respect from top to bottom and this is one of the main aspects that makes Thor special and a great place to work.

The opportunities are there to progress and grow within Thor if you work hard. Not only are opportunities to grow prominent, but incentives such as two company holidays a year and monthly targets are a great driver that set the bar high throughout the team.

Cons

Difficult hours if you aren't based in London. Not a problem once you move in though!

Advice to Management

Keep it up - we all appreciate it.

10. "Great culture, great people, great results!"

Current Employee - Associate in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate in London, England

I have been working at Thor Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with Thor for over a year and have witnessed quite a bit of change in my time here. However, there are a number of things that remain constant. The culture has always been superb and a large part of this is down to the togetherness of the Company. Whether it's the incentive holidays twice a year, the monthly incentives to top restaurants in London or the inclusive attitude of everyone here.

The people here are always respected and everyone has a voice. Everyone is treated as equal and the flat structure really helps to facilitate the all for one mentality that sets Thor apart.

Finally, there have been some outstanding performances recently and working in a Company full of high achievers pushes all of us on to succeed and do more. This coupled with the growth the Company is experiencing provides unrivalled career progression opportunities.

Cons

Sometimes the coffee machine can take longer than expected :-)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.