ThoughtWorks Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

ThoughtWorks President and CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Keep work life balance can be a challenge" (in 38 reviews)

• "There tends to be a lot of travel involved, depending on your home office and your specific projects" (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work and build a career"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Excellent community of devs
    - Great people to work with
    - Company truly driven by their three pillars
    - Great opportunity to grow

Cons

- Commute could be a problem
    - Roll-of from project can take some time

Advice to Management

Support remote workers should be one of the next steps

2. "Amazing people and great culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great people, supportive teams

Cons

Choice and selection of projects

3. "Great place to work and learn"

Current Employee - Lead Consultant in London, England

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get to work with a lot of smart people who really care. There are very few jerks. You also get lots of variety as you will work for various clients.

Cons

Travel is required so be prepared to have to be away from home. It has its upsides but may not suit everyone.

Advice to Management

Try to keep the special culture alive.

"They didn't lie throughout the recruitment process"

Current Employee - Experience Design Consultant in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Experience Design Consultant in Manchester, England

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ThoughtWorks is what it is because of its people. A group of like-minded individuals who have strong opinions held loosely.

In my time at ThoughtWorks, I've had the opportunity to learn so much from the talented folks I work with and also in the situations I've found myself in with projects.

The travel, for some, is a pain but I've enjoyed my travel in London and also now in Thailand.

Cons

We're not always working on the biggest and exciting thing, sometimes the projects are legacy enterprise software but we appreciate all challenges equally and love when we can disrupt a market with technology.

Advice to Management

Keeping the existing culture today has to be the number one priority as we scale.

The ability for two ThoughtWorkers to turn up to a project on day one, having never met each other, and instantly see eye-to-eye and be able to work with the client as if they've worked together for the last 10 years is pretty special.

"Good if you have nothing to loose, want to travel or you're a junior dev"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in London, England

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ThoughtWorks still has a lot of great and smart people really interested in helping you (specially for women). Depending on the project and client you land on, you'll have a chance to expand your network, experiment working with different industries and technologies at diverse locations across UK (and internationally). Also you'll get to eat for free (of course, it depends where you're working but if you're a consultant out of your usual commute, you can get reimbursed). There is a personal development budget that you can use to get some training and go to conferences. A few interesting events if you are attached to the London office (don't know about Manchester).

Cons

Where do I begin? I've joined as a lateral hire (in TW lingo, this means someone that already had a career before) and spent almost a year trying to understand how TW works and what's the purpose of it all. Is it a non-profit disguised as a software consultancy? Body-shop that sucks less? Roy's little experiment? I left without any clue. First, as a consultant, even if they tell you that there is no manager, you'll be at the mercy of the staffing team, who can then send you to a client/project that can be great or just a body shop. TW has a great office in central London but don't believe the hype. If you are a consultant, you'll be spending most of your time at a client site, dealing with legacy tech, boring people, enterprise culture and usually travelling to less desirable locations across the UK. Your ability to grow and work on interesting things will depend on how good you are in networking and getting noticed (ie, politics). Best projects are kept for the most politically skilled (sorry, introverts). Second, everyone likes to blast how diverse and inclusive TW is and how everyone is able to freely have a discussion up to the CEO but this is only true if you are on the "right" side. TW has a lot of wonderful people, but it also has marxists, social justice warriors, hardcore feminists, LGBT advocates (they are the ones dictating the agenda). If you don't buy into this, you'll have a hard time there. I was more comfortable at a client side than in the London office (I felt no connection with other people there). And the idea to choose a sponsor to help you advance in your career is a joke.

6. "The people are the culture"

Current Employee - Change Maker in London, England
    Current Employee - Change Maker in London, England

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The autonomy, the hardworking, smart, creative people you'll get to work with day in and day out, the opportunities, the trust, appreciation and sense of community.

Cons

The office is full of great people and beautifully decorated, but it can feel crammed with human beings, with ThoughtWorkers being client side most of the time it'd be great to have a more comfortable space to connect.

Advice to Management

Keep trusting, keep being transparent, keep hiring great people and keep rewarding and growing those that deserve it within the organisation.

"Not the best for technical people"

Current Employee - Software Developer in London, England
    Current Employee - Software Developer in London, England

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time

Pros

- Dynamic environment: get to work with different technologies.
    - Get to work with some smart people.
    - Faster advancement in grades: you can get seniors with only 3 years experience.
    - Good healthcare benefits and personal development budget.
    - Very inclusive workplace.
    - Lots of freedom.
    - Lots of free snacks and food.
    - TW seems to still hold a good reputation for outsiders.

Cons

- Low pay compared to market: many people leave and then return to get a higher salary because the pay increases are very little each year.
    - Lots of office politics: do not expect to advance if you do not know anyone. Lots of senior people are only there because of their internal connections.
    - Recent hiring has lowered their standards: TW seem to be hiring just to fill numbers. Seems like there is a lot of unnecessary hiring when there are always a lot of people on the 'beach' i.e. not on projects.
    - Lots of smart people are leaving.
    - Leniency has meant a lot of people have started to slack and not be as motivated.
    - Lack of communication and structure/processes: everyone has a different understanding of processes in place.
    - Staffing decisions are made last minute: very unorganised staffing procedures. Also don't expect to have much say in where you are going unless you are very senior or know people.
    - Not as they advertise: there is not as much work in social justice or disrupting technology as they claim.
    - TW does not live up to its reputation anymore.

Advice to Management

Improve your standards of hiring - we get a lot of very good applicants, it's OK to not hire everyone. If you are going to hire people who are not as technically able, at least put some training in place to make them up to scratch.

Think about why a lot of people have started to leave.

"Doesn't feel like a tech company right now"

Current Employee - Lead Developer in London, England
    Current Employee - Lead Developer in London, England

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some amazing people around, but they are spread thinly
    People genuinely care about making a difference

Incredibly inclusive employer having conversations that are much more advanced that rest of industry. EU Intertwined group is incredible.

Lots you can get from the working arrangement, like living abroad and being sent to conferences.

Lots of things are open, although more and more decisions are taken behind closed doors.

Cons

It's painful to write this because I want to believe in the company so much, but things look very uncertain in the UK. There is not a single strong technology community operating at the moment, and the social justice (pillar 3) work has totally disappeared. The single exciting thing happening is the ventures stream of work, which also looks uncertain. The focus is currently on selling any work to any client.

UK leadership feels like it is in disarray, it doesn't feel like there is any ambitious mission, and certainly no bold risks being taken.

Company relies on informal pairing and mentoring to up-skill developers, but the ratio of junior to senior people gets worse and worse.

Ultimately, with the absence of real social justice work and exciting technology opportunities, for the first time I'd have to advise people to consider working elsewhere, where you will have exposure to better technology, get more support, and probably a higher salary too.

Advice to Management

Take risks, find disruptive work, invest actual people and cash into social justice mission - OR raise salaries to compensate for the fact that people are working on a 100% travel schedule on generic enterprise systems. If one of these isn't done, we might as well be working at a tech giant for much more money. The tech community left at ThoughtWorks really, truly wants the company to succeed, but goodwill isn't unlimited.

"Uncertain times ahead"

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very smart folk who are passionate about what they do

Cons

With the takeover, ThoughtWorks has lost its way. It doesn't have a clear vision on on how to build its client base for more longer term work.

Advice to Management

Start speaking more to your staff and properly connect to what's going on .

"You need to know people"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- mostly smart people, it is usually good to be part of one of the teams
    - ability to work from other countries, for 6-12 months
    - good diversity

Cons

- not enough transparency regarding current and future projects
    - very little to say in terms of your own preference, even after travelling for years away from home
    - the quality of recruitment has lowered, and their in order to achieve the diversity levels they want, they hire people who wouldn't have passed the process 2+ years ago
    - too greedy to take new projects & clients, which results in body shopping
    - salary is below market average
    - management keeps changing, and they are losing direction
    - high turnover

Advice to Management

you need to take a good look at how things are, and change it all. it's not working anymore