ThoughtWorks Reviews

4.3
ThoughtWorks President and CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao
Pros
Cons
  • "The work-life balance is a total mess nowadays(in 43 reviews)

• "Nowadays I'm observing that many old thoughtworkers are leaving company which is not good sign(in 22 reviews)

1. Featured Review
    COVID-19

"Loving it"

Current Employee - Operations in London, England

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company genuinely cares about its people, you see that not only through the type and range of benefits but also its decisions around furlough during the pandemic. The culture is fantastic and has opened my eyes to diversity & inclusion

Cons

If you come from a corporate background it can take a while to get used to the culture. The work is intense but rewarding.

2. COVID-19

"Best Company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Global Project Manager in London, England

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time

Pros

You can trust every ThoughtWorker to do a great job. It's an amazing amount of engagement of employees, people are happy and proud to work here and that projects on the work they are doing. The leadership is transparent and has done an amazing job during Covid-19. They took good care of us and continue to do so. You are also well looked after in terms of benefits and policies. Diversity and Inclusion is not just a department, it's in the DNA of the company. There is still things to do but I've never worked anywhere where they identify areas of improvement and then do everything they can do to do better. I've always felt welcome, accepted and included.

Cons

Nothing in particular but of course there are things to do as everywhere else. But ThoughtWorks is on a journey and I believe it will always thrive for doing things better.

3. "Amazing place for 2-3 years only"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in London, England

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Amazing culture of diversity, inclusivity and equality/equity, you can be yourself, dress the way you want - Amazing people, you'll make tons of friends and massively increase your professional network - Amazing technical reputation and branding within the industry, having TW on your CV makes an impression in the industry, people will constantly ask you about what it was like to work for ThoughtWorks and you'll have instant credibility in technical roles. You'll have lots of solid experience in software delivery, and very transferrable consulting skills. - Highly recommend for graduates to get started with a solid technical foundation for their next industry job, or for people to get ThoughtWorks on their CV - First two years are amazing due to all of the above, you'll make lots of friends, have opportunities to try public speaking, build your personal brand, etc. - Strong benefits, life insurance, critical illness insurance, health insurance, 6 months maternity leave, cycle to work scheme, £800 health fund for certain things, 6% pension, etc.

Cons

- Astonishingly low salaries unless you come in as an external hire, but even then - Astonishingly low annual pay increases (either 1% , 3% or 5% based on performance), then they gaslight you into thinking that 5% is really really really good when that's what you would normally get for average performance outside in the industry. - "Loyalty" tax, home grown graduates get screwed because they'll start at 35-40k, but are only given 3% salary increases, so by the time you have 5 years experience, your pay will only be 46-47k. Outside of TW, someone with 5 years experience would be getting 70k+. If you hand in your notice, then they will offer you a raise, but you shouldn't have to threaten to quit to be compensated fairly. - You are only valued if you are cheap enough for them to make money off billing you out for £1000/day. As soon as you ask for a pay increase, your value to TW starts to diminish because it means they can make less money off you, this is regardless of your performance, your brand, your network or how good you are. The only way to mitigate this is to get promoted because they'd be able to bill you for more money. TW projects are basically tech sweatshops. - Being trapped because of diversity and inclusion, people are made to believe it's so horrible outside of TW, and so they're afraid to look or consider elsewhere and will accept the low pay. - Boring client projects, majority of TW client work is the same, some legacy system with massive cultural and quality issues, inability to move forward due to technical debt and all the best people quit leaving the worst people behind. The clients who are able to afford TW are all the same, very established, older players who have not been able to keep up technologically. Any project you're on will have a really boring, dull domain with really crap tech, and client people who are probably incompetent and resistant to change, and you'll be dealing with lots of politics ("creating influence") and solving the problems using the same TW playbook. You'll come out with a lot of experience dealing with legacy systems, and very strong software development practices (TDD, CI/CD, XP), but it won't teach you anything about solving actually interesting greenfield technical problems. While you can definitely get an interview, you won't have the deep technical experience required to get into FAANG or any prestigious software developer role unless you already have previous experience, a background in computer science or go out of your way to do it yourself with personal projects. - Networking usually required to get on good projects, what few good projects there are within TW, they will usually go to the consultants that have the strongest internal network (aka friends in high places). It is not uncommon for the most popular consultants to get put together on the best projects, and not uncommon for people to be accepted into projects because they've worked with someone on that team before. This is not a bad thing, but if you are not the type who likes to go out there and make friends, you are likely to be stuck on crap projects in crap locations. - Even with a strong D&I focus, you'll still experience microaggressions because not everyone in TW is fully bought into D&I, especially with the decrease in investment in this area. Additionally, the "women" numbers come from 50%+ diverse graduates, but lots of women end up quitting as they get more experience, so there's still very few tech females in the upper ranks - Average turnover of 3 years, by the time you hit 2 years at TW you'll start seeing people you know personally quit, and these will be people you hold in high esteem and it will make you think about quitting also. People with 3+ years TW tenure tend to be very jaded about the company - No clear career paths for non-technical roles. If you are not a developer at TW, you won't get the same amount of training, support or role clarity. BAs and QAs are frequently roped into doing delivery management. - Politics involved in promotions, there's a limited number of promotions available every cycle, so whether you get promoted depends on who else is asking for a promotion and whether they have a stronger case/support/backing than you.

4. "Great people and always learning"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in London, England

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time

Pros

- The people hired at ThoughtWorks are diverse, interesting to work with, and easy to work with. Everyone has a different thing to bring to the table and you learn so much from individual people and their experiences. - Culture of always learning something new and pushing yourself. People are willing to help you if you reach out and ask for advice on something, and they go the extra mile to help you in your learning and development - Projects are interesting and varied, great opportunity for travel - Nice offices, fun social events

Cons

You have to ask for support rather than naturally get it - you don't have a direct line manager. This can be difficult when you first join and are trying to navigate, however in the long run it's positive because it encourages you to be proactive in seeking support, advice and feedback.

"Wonderful in every way..."

Current Employee - Programmer Manager in London, England

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time

Pros

I have worked at ThoughtWorks for almost 7 years. When I spend time reflecting on my learnings, I am incredibly thankful for the opportunities and support ThoughtWorks provides. I am constantly supported by our operations team and from a project perspective, I am continuously challenged, working on innovative and exciting opportunities. I feel heard and I feel valued. I am forever proud of our dedication to Social Change and thankful for working alongside open, smart, and humble humans who I learn from every single day.

Cons

None I can think of.

6. COVID-19

"Come for the culture, stay for the people"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Innovative technology, Growth, Learning opportunities, The people, Variety of clients, Real commitment to inclusivity

Cons

The office can feel "cosy" and a little over crowded at times, but with COVID this has changed to a different approach and reviews of new office space are on the horizon. Sometimes you might not see colleagues for a while due to the nature of the business being a consultancy, however, there are regular large get togethers throughout the year for the UK and annually for Europe.

Continue reading
  7. "Awesome company to work for"

Former Employee - Director in Guildford, England

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time

Pros

Thoughtworkers are really bright, diverse and interesting people Agile as it should be done Interesting projects Opportunities for global travel Best appraisal system I've come across (though this is a matter of opinion)

Cons

Training was minimal, you had to learn to leverage the hive mind. Was sometimes challenging for senior hires to transition into Consensus driven decision making led to good decisions, but could be slow

Continue reading
  8. COVID-19

"One word. Poor."

1.0
    Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in London, England

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Finally opening up to remote working it took Covid-19 to get there.

Cons

Very political leadership team - most care more about themselves. Don’t believe the hype and external PR which creates an unrealistic picture on what it is like. No follow through on commitments to pay and growth. MD is never around.

ThoughtWorks Response

Community Manager

We hear you on remote working. As a software consultancy we believe it's essential to work alongside our clients, which can often mean working side by side within the clients offices; we're frequently having conversations to support new ways of remote working. Thank you for your review, it allows us to continually improve - your feedback has been shared with our leadership team to address your pain points. We understand that you may want to remain anonymous, however, if you would be open to discussing your feedback in greater detail please do not hesitate to get in touch with me: sforeshewcain@thoughtworks.com Stephen Foreshew-Cain, Chief Operating Officer, UK

9. "TW"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in London, England

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time

Pros

Excellent work culture Very helpful people

Cons

Travel (As with any consultancy) Internal processes could be better handled

10. "Good for some things, not so good for others"

Current Employee - Software Developer in London, England

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work on different tech stacks Good rep Good code standards Good tech processes

Cons

Travel Office politics - if staffing don't like you then you will be placed on 'bad' projects Very low pay for less senior people while principals get insane salaries - very low pay rises every year Newer devs being employed have been ruining the culture

ThoughtWorks Response

Community Manager

Hello and firstly, thank you for sharing your review - your feedback allows us to continually grow and adapt to the needs of our people. We're aware salaries can vary depending on skill set and industry experience - we review salaries annually to keep pace with market rates. We also encourage ThoughtWorkers to be open about their thoughts and expectations around compensation at annual review. We have collected your comments around culture and project selection and have shared these with our leadership team. We understand you may want to remain anonymous, but would like to offer you the opportunity to discuss further, if you'd like to have a catch up with myself, or a member of the leadership team, please get in touch using > rgorman@thoughtworks.com - Ruth Gorman, Head of People, UK

Found 755 reviews