Cover image for Thoughtworks

Found 2,200 of over 4K reviews

4.2
Thoughtworks President and CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao

What people are saying about Thoughtworks

Parents at Work

2 months ago

works at

Thoughtworks

Hello all, My daughter is 1 year 6 months old. She had tongue tie from birth. She hardly speaks less words and whenever tried to speak, the word is pronounced differently. If I go for minor tongue tie release surgery, is there any implications in the future? Thanks JPMorgan Chase SAP Accenture Tata Consultancy EY Deloitte Thoughtworks

15 Comments

Tech

2866.2K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - /Community/technology

Got a burning question about Thoughtworks? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Thoughtworks employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What are your colleagues talking about?

Find your exclusive Company Bowl™ on Community. Join the hottest conversation with your colleagues anonymously.
Join the conversation

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor

Pros
  • "I have met a few great people here that I would want to continue a friendship with outside of work.(in 460 reviews)
  • "The culture here is so great that you'll simply get attached to it because of that.(in 407 reviews)
  • "Pure agile company and work life balance is good.(in 223 reviews)
  • "Work culture is great and offers great learning(in 157 reviews)
  • "Great colleagues to learn from(in 104 reviews)
Cons
  • "Low salaries for Brazilian employees and not so much interesting projects... Hard to change to work on green field projects.(in 178 reviews)
  • "Low pay compared to market: many people leave and then return to get a higher salary because the pay increases are very little each year.(in 72 reviews)
  • "Biased management.(in 61 reviews)
  • "No leadership on the ground.(in 38 reviews)
  • "Need to find your own career path (some people struggle)(in 29 reviews)
      29 Oct 2023
      Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good people to work with, competent and nice who took the company values seriously Opportunities to learn

Cons

Lots of changes mean it is hard to know what direction the company is heading in

22 Aug 2023
        Princpal Software Engineer
        Current Employee, more than 10 years
        Business Outlook

Pros

Thoughtworks has an amazing culture and a wondeful place to work; you learn skills you'd never learn anywhere else, and world-leading approaches to work

Cons

Pay has stagnated with inflation - the company isn't getting enough work and struggles to offer competitive salaries. Also IPOing means some of the previous freedom and transparency has gone - the company attempts to remain ethical but the client base has shifted and now includes places such as BP, who have great claims of improvement but still appear to be greenwashing. The culture is still great, but it remains to be seen how long it will stay great.

2. Join the Thoughtworks team
        See Our Latest Jobs
        1. 3.0
          25 Sept 2023
          Senior Software Consultant
          Business Outlook

Pros

* Everyone is really smart and competent at their jobs - which is a relief. * Also, everyone I've met is really nice and kind - which again, is a relief. * Very high development standards. I've only worked TDD, CI/CD, trunk based - and it's great and by far the best aspect of the job. It's a joy to work in such a great and talented team! * It's a good place to specialise in a technology you want as you can join various meetups and google chats. * Some very interesting characters who are fascinated by technology and developing it. It's great to talk with them about the job and development in general. * It's a very diverse workplace, full of people who get along and enjoy talking to one another.

Cons

* Pay is average - which is really weird as they charge clients a lot of money. Almost everyone ends up leaving because of this. And you won't be getting any reasonable pay increase anytime soon... Other consultancies pay way more. * The promotion process between senior, lead and principal is pretty terrible. I know a senior who has worked as a lead for over a year and still hasn't actually been promoted to lead. So they've essentially been working a higher role... paid less... they've done really well.. for over a year... and they haven't been officially promoted. Madness. (Also, all businesses should pay people fairly) * The businesses we work with are often the opposite to Thoughtworks (waterfall based, feature branching and unfortunately often genuinely incompetent) so there's usually endless push back from the client on product management and implementation. Some client stakeholders become resentful. * You often don't get paid overtime, instead you get a thank you and TOIL when your on the beach (bench). * You can work crazy hours - deadline are deadlines. I worked a 8am to 12am day, it was horrendous. Although to be fair, this isn't always the case. * No £1000 for personal development budget anymore. * Thoughtworks do work with often unethical businesses - like businesses in the petrol/ gas sector who just use Thoughtworks to essentially "greenwash" and pretend they care about the environment. This seems a little hypocritical considering Thoughtworks' values and history.

1 Nov 2023
            Software Engineer
            Former Employee, more than 3 years
            Business Outlook

Pros

A great company to learn and grow

Cons

Changing since going public and not focusing on its values Pay is less then industry standard which it now is not different from

1. 2.0
              23 Oct 2023
              Graduate Consultant Developer
              Former Employee
              Business Outlook

Pros

work culture diversity and inclusion

Cons

very time taking interview process

1. 3.0
                28 Jan 2023
                Software Engineer Consultant
                Current Employee, more than 3 years
                Business Outlook

Pros

Work Life Balance. Nice People.

Cons

1. They're doing pair programming in working from home model. This just does not work for me. When you work on something it's a great opportunity to learn that new thing and when you pair program you lose that chance to learn. 2. You join this company now they've staffing managers, who'll on theory as you for your preference like which project you wanna join which is a good thing. But you know when you just joined the company and with your limited knowledge you say yes to the project they ask you to join. I've seen some of the shittiest projects they're working on. At the end of the day, it's a service-based company. Some of the projects have this 18-month bond which means you can't leave it once you've joined. 3. No parity in pay scale: This is the main reason I left this company because when I joined, the recruiter told me that this is the best she can offer but when I joined it wasn't the case. I've seen some of the freshers getting more than they offered me as a 2 years-experienced candidate. 4. Even if they advertise themselves as a people-oriented company, they include food expenses, insurance benefits, etc in the CTC. Right now I'm working in a FAANG company and thoughts works just ruined my 8 months. I could have learned so much and could build something impactful but all I did in these 8 months was just enough.

Hi there. We're sorry that you feel this way - and we would love to know more so we can improve our experience for current Thoughtworkers. Would you be interested in speaking with us about some of the points that you have raised?

18 Sept 2023
                  Senior Consultant
                  Former Employee
                  Business Outlook

Pros

great culture, good people, good benefits

Cons

pay, hikes, no bonuses, uncertainty, UK business not as. good

29 Jun 2023
                    Head of Marketing
                    Business Outlook

Pros

Work with some of the brightest and best people in the industry and with some of the biggest and best-known employers out there solving some of their most complex challenges ... purpose and values ... real commitment to diversity and inclusion ... have a voice in a company where you can contribute your ideas.

Cons

Every Thoughtworker is passionate about what they do and has an opinion - so prepare to be challenged!

7 Aug 2023
                      Consultant Developer
                      Current Employee
                      Business Outlook

Pros

Really intelligent people and great work culture

Cons

Sometimes things can get quite stressful on client projects

17 Jul 2023
                        Software Developer
                        Business Outlook

Pros

high quality development work, agile practices, flat hierarchy, no micromanaging, supportive environment, good benefits, great company culture

Cons

pair-programming full time, not very good projects and/or long times spent on the bench, no pay increase considering the inflation

Viewing 1 - 10 of 2,200 Reviews
                      </>Embed

Thoughtworks Reviews FAQs

Thoughtworks has an overall rating of 4.2 out of 5, based on over 4,116 reviews left anonymously by employees. 84% of employees would recommend working at Thoughtworks to a friend and 51% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -7% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Thoughtworks employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.4 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Thoughtworks. This rating has decreased by -6% over the last 12 months.

84% of Thoughtworks employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Thoughtworks 4.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.5 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with Thoughtworks Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Popular Conversations

Interview Tips

Marketing Manager

Based on your experience, what preceded the job offer email: have you received that relatively fast, or you’ve been waiting in silence? For how long?

0 Comments

Underwriter

Had an interview today and at the end recruiter asked if I was interviewing with another company I was honest and said yes I currently have an offer already with another company. Should I have said that? Worried it may hurt my chances with the interview process going forward.

3 Comments

Co-founder

Many people are getting ghosted during the interview process these days so I started https://ghosts.fyi to track companies that regularly ghost. Let me know if you could see this being helpful during your job search!

1 Comment

Glassdoor has 4,116 Thoughtworks reviews submitted anonymously by Thoughtworks employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Thoughtworks is right for you.