Thoughtworks Reviews

Found 1,118 of over 2,007 reviews

4.2
Thoughtworks President and CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao
Pros
  • "The work life balance of employees are given importance(in 102 reviews)

• "You get to work with some of the really smart people(in 98 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance to some extend(in 49 reviews)

• "Being a consultancy there is no real ownership of the work being done(in 24 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years
      Featured Review

Believe the hype

Mar 26, 2021 - Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

You'll work with some of the smartest people in the technology industry You are treated like a human, trusted and respected You are always made to feel welcome The work is interesting - clients challenge us with complexed problems which keeps us on our toes and in turn makes the work challenging and enjoyable The benefits aren't spoken about enough, length pat leave, 6 months full pay, or 12 months half pay maternity alongside an incredible new fertility policy to support IVF treatment and child loss

Cons

Training has been a problem in the past, but in the past 6 months there has been some great initiatives put into place for folk to really learn and advance their own expertise

2 people found this review helpful

Community Manager

Thanks so much for your review!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Be supported to grow

Aug 2, 2021 - Senior Business Analyst in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- TWU graduate programme prepares you for consultant life on software development team in such a short amount of time - Have a network of people supporting you and your development which is so much better than other orgs where you just have a single manager - Tons of opportunity to develop e.g. right now I am on a core skills development programme where I am getting training and mentoring which will allow me to progress in my career - Diversity and Inclusion isn't just a side project, it's a daily part of Thoughtworks and I have the autonomy and power to make suggestions around initiatives, changes, improvements all around making our place to work more inclusive

Cons

- Consultant life can be intense sometimes. We get hired to work on the tricky problems in organisations which is the reason I love being a consultant here at Thoughtworks but it can be tiring at times!

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

It's all about the people

Aug 3, 2021 - Developer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

passionate motivated people always with an opinion and up for the debate; this is the only place I've worked where I thought we really understand how to deliver high quality software in a predictable and reliable way; you can play to your strengths on teams, people don't care what your grade or job title is

Cons

relatively flat structure for an organisation of this size with a certain lack of structure and process that won't suit everyone;

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Surrounded by high performers

Jun 26, 2021 - Consultant Developer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

ThoughtWorks is a company of self-selecting high performers. Those I have worked with when we are on the project together and those who I interact with socially at company events often have some sort of standards that they hold, be it work ethics, technical excellence, or social justice issues. Lively discussions and passionate debates are expected and encouraged, even by the management. Career changers especially on the junior level are welcomed which I appreciated. Self-starters and go-getters will enjoy this environment a lot. Management always takes our views into consideration.

Cons

I believe pay for developers is lower than a product company. Sometimes my impression is that the louder people might have gotten a bit more attention, but there are structures in place to recognise those who do not have the loudest voices. Otherwise not particularly cons... but ThoughtWorks is not for everybody, for example I believe those who need more structure and support might not find it comfortable to work and progress their career here.

Community Manager

Hello, thank you so much for writing such an authentic and personal review, we really appreciate it. We could not agree more, you, our colleagues are what makes Thoughtworks a great place to be. We also hear your feedback and I will personally share this with our people team. Of course, if you have any further feedback that you would like to give anonymously please feel free to reach out to me directly: lhinton@thoughtworks.com - Laura, community manager.

5. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Definitely room for improvement

Apr 29, 2021 - Operations in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working is something that the company is big on, which is good for your work/life balance. Unfortunately, as with most companies who offer flexible working, some people do take this to the extreme. They have a really good onboarding schedule but when this is over, they need to look at helping people settle in the long-term and feel properly supported.

Cons

Unfortunately, there are some quite nasty individuals who ruin the hard work that the company has put into being an open, fair and transparent place to work. These individuals either have influential positions or they are very popular which means that the people on the end of their behaviour have absolutely no support and no leg to stand on when they have done nothing wrong, which is completely immoral. Office politics is still very much in place here. You will not be judged by how hard you work but rather how much your are liked as a person and how loud you shout. You really need to watch your back. The recruitment process should be much more transparent so that people who accept jobs know exactly what it involves and what is expected of them. The London office is really overcrowded and sometimes this can be overwhelming. I am sure that this has been acknowledged and the company is looking into alternatives.

5 people found this review helpful

Community Manager

We're disappointed to read about your experience at ThoughtWorks and we're sorry that it wasn't more positive. We take any allegation of immoral and nasty behaviour very seriously. We have a Code of Conduct in place that we expect everyone to follow. This is the same for everyone, including those in positions of authority. Feedback is what allows us to grow and improve as a company and we're committed to having frank and honest conversations that will allow us to create an environment where all employees can thrive. We take behaviour issues very seriously and if you are happy to do so, I would like to personally connect. Please feel free to reach out to me on: rhawkins@thoughtworks.com

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Bring your whole self!

Dec 8, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Why become a ThoughtWorker? Not an easy task to summarise with a few bullet points but overall, what I've made of my journey in the past year or so is that my feelings from the moment I interviewed to how I feel right now sitting on the other side is still pretty much one of overarching positivity. I knew this was the place for me then and still feel the same. When you spend a vast amount of your lifetime with colleagues, life's too short not to be able to bring your whole self to work and this is what makes ThoughtWorks special. Here, you are surrounded by an intelligent and diverse network of individuals all doing that exact same thing. Yes, that can bring differing perspectives but also one that enables you to voice your opinions and be challenged yet remain supportive and respectful. Generally, TWers are a bunch of kind, genuine people that want you to succeed. Beyond the people and culture, if you are wanting a challenge, an environment where you are encouraged to continuously learn and grow as well as learn from the huge amount of intellect around you, then TW hits the spot.

Cons

Trying to remain constructive: 1)Competitive salary to meet competition in the sector albeit we offer an overall great benefits package 2)Can sometimes feel a little stagnant or slow moving in our operations, reminiscent of a start-up culture. Defining, constructing and investing in our internal mechanisms is key as we continue to grow and shape our piece of the world.

Community Manager

Thank you so much for taking the time out to write this review, we hear you, and appreciate your feedback, please know I've passed along your review to our leadership team.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great people to work with.

Jul 3, 2021 - Senior Consultant Developer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work. Lots to learn

Cons

Flat structure make career progression a bit difficult

8. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work

May 5, 2021 - Business Analyst in Manchester City Centre, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

openness, transparency, autonomy, good people and great technology

Cons

the travel can be difficult at times

Community Manager

Thanks so much for posting a review!

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not without its problems

Mar 27, 2021 - Software Developer in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Plenty of opportunities for travel, sometimes to really interesting places, with colleagues who made the effort to band together and try new things. This lead to some great shared experiences and many memories of fun times that I feel incredibly lucky to have had because of my job. * Very social company, with an informal and relaxed culture, and regular social events. I truly felt that I could be myself around co-workers and still consider many of my ex-colleagues to be good friends. * Good place to learn best tech practices and develop strong technical skills. Most developers held best practices at the core of their work and were aligned on what that meant. It made it easy to collaborate with other people, as there was usually a mutual understanding that we would be working with certain standards.

Cons

* The pay is shockingly low compared to the market rate and given that TW is supposed to be a “premium” brand. Pay rises happen once per year (well, not always, but read on for that…) and are applied in bands of 1%, 3%, and 5%. Most people get 3%, but if you’re doing AMAZING, like really exceeding, you get 5%. The upshot of this is that if you’ve been in TW for a few years you will inevitably be getting underpaid, and that will be more pronounced if you joined an a junior. As an example, I joined as a graduate and after over 3 years at TW and being promoted to a senior, my pay had increased by less than 10%. By this point, you can expect a pay rise of 30-50% (maybe even more) if you leave to join a similar company.

The low pay would be forgivable if TW were actually the righteous, influential, do-good organisation it’s branded to be, but the reality is that you work for exactly the same sorts of clients, doing exactly the same kind of work as any other consultancy, you just get paid less for it. And if you’re subjected to any sort of discrimination by the client, TW will not support you or challenge them on that, because no decision made at TW is ever not driven by money. If you think it’s a bit weird that a company that received millions of £££s of investment and acquired 3 other companies already this year can’t afford to pay its employees properly, you’re right. The truth is that they can but they don’t actually care about keeping people in the company of increasing employee satisfaction. Attrition was always really high during the whole time that I worked there, people come and go literally all the time. But any consultant is only worth the (sizeable) difference between their pay and what the client pays for them, so for TW it pays to keep salaries low.
 * There is a pervasive air of arrogance amongst some of the more senior consultants. A general feel of “we know so much better than everyone else, we’re so much better than all these other consultancies and the client is such an idiot who doesn’t understand what we’re trying to do”. TW tech leads will regularly deride client architects as people who are incompetent and won’t get hands-on enough to be of value, but most TW tech leads spend all their time in meetings and never code, so what’s the difference?
 * Really poor response to COVID. This included forcing people to take holiday during lockdown and freezing all pay rises for 6 months. Of course, promotions still went ahead, so they could bill clients more money for newly-promoted people without paying them any extra. And while the client I was working at got their employees to take home equipment from the office the day they closed them, it took 4 months of working from home before HR even sent out a survey to see if people might need some equipment to support them. I felt completely unsupported by TW during what was already an incredibly difficult time.
 * Lack of transparency from leadership. All negative comms have some sort of spin on them and a tone of “oh but you’re SO lucky to work here and you should really appreciate it” and leadership will go to great lengths to hide any instability in the company to the point where it is rather patronising. As just one example, we were told the COO was on holiday one week and then the next he had *mysteriously disappeared* from the company. What is the point in trying to be secretive about things like this when all the employees know they aren’t getting the full story and don’t really care if the COO ragequit/got fired anyway?
 * The unfortunate flip side to having an informal and “no-rules” culture is that when people do exhibit questionable behaviours it often goes unchallenged, and the decentralised structure of the company (i.e. people split into project teams and often working away from home) means HR are often unaware of the extent of these problems. I witnessed a few unsavoury individuals get away with some quite frankly outrageous behaviour that negatively affected many people around them, and would almost certainly violate a code of conduct at other companies. Thankfully there weren’t many people like this in the company, but the influence of the ones who were was quite damaging. If this reads like a very negative review and you’re wondering why I gave 3 stars it’s because I’ve gone overboard having a cathartic rant and honestly there were lots of great things about working for TW, and there were times when it was amazing. I’m just genuinely gutted that it’s being screwed up by people who want to line their own pockets and don’t care if they ruin what could have been a really good thing for everyone else. TL;DR It’s not all it’s cracked up to be, and sadly seems to be on a downward trajectory.

7 people found this review helpful

Community Manager

Hi there, and thank you for taking the time to outline the good and the constructive feedback you’ve left for us. I wanted to respond personally to some of the points you’ve raised. First of all, I’m glad you’ve referenced the culture at ThoughtWorks. Our culture makes us unique, and you’ve highlighted the amazing tech skills we have here. That sits at the heart of what we do, and I totally agree with you! This week, Thoughtworkers voted us a Great Place to Work, this is indeed great recognition. I am, however, shocked and saddened to read that you identified behaviours that would question our Code of Conduct. We take that very seriously and have always taken decisive and procedural action when our core values have not been demonstrated. I also note that you state that ThoughtWorkers have experienced discrimination from a client, yet we have no record of any report. I’m horrified to think that could be the case. While I wish you had said something at the time, I would ask you to speak with me confidentially, in order that we can follow up on that. We don’t tolerate any ThoughtWorker or client breaching our values in the way that you’ve described. We have many mechanisms to spot where we may have lower levels of engagement on client projects and these are reviewed regularly. The scenario you reference would be a trigger for such a review. I’m hopeful the instance you reference is isolated, but we continue our efforts to ensure Thoughtworks is a safe working environment for everyone. As the UK exits the pandemic, we have seen an unprecedented increase in demand for digital services and increased need in the sector for technology talent. The competitiveness of the market place has put pressure on wages and we too are seeing the need to make changes to remuneration across many roles. As a leadership team we’re committed to responding to this, as we have openly shared in many internal forums, we’ve been clear about our intent to be competitive in the market, and will continue to work towards this over the course of the year. I’m sorry that you felt our response to Covid was poor. Everyone experienced something different during Covid, but in truth, we were hit with a once in a lifetime scenario, and as a leadership team we aimed to support all employees responding to individual circumstances and personal needs. We took steps to support working parents with paid time off to help with home schooling and caring responsibilities. Importantly we took the decision to protect all jobs, unlike many of our competitors we made no redundancies during last year. Our commitment to social impact also did not waver during the pandemic, ThoughtWorkers who were on the beach were keen to support Covid tech projects and use their skills to create extraordinary impact. The work we did with Bahmni is only one example of how we invested time and support to social change initiatives during this time. I’m satisfied that the decisions and actions we took during this challenging period were indeed the right things to do, I do however appreciate some of these decisions were difficult and may have been unpopular at the time, but we achieved our shared goal of retaining all jobs and supporting all ThoughtWorkers during this time while maintaining our business. If you feel able to talk to me or anyone in the leadership team about the issues you’ve raised, please do so. Your anonymity will be protected throughout, of course. Ruth Harrison, UK Managing Director | rharrison@thoughtworks.com

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture, interesting array of clients

Dec 7, 2020 - Senior Consultant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture is very diverse and open. People are friendly, feedback is often sought for all things and freely given. Central offices do their best to make sure voices are heard and you're looked after

Cons

Some clients are hard to work with and it's difficult to navigate the political hallways of this if you're used to honesty and transparency. Bigger clients do hold sway over decisions made on accounts and willingness to succeed to client demands that are normally non negotiables in contracts with TW. If you're on account work life can fluctuate massively depending on account and needs, there's little time to stop and think especially when delivery expectations have been set.

Community Manager

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review - please know your feedback is important and I will share with our UK leadership team. Thank you again, Laura

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,118 Reviews