Tobin & Company Investment Banking Group Reviews

Updated 4 Feb 2020

4.2
Tobin & Company Investment Banking Group Founder & Managing Partner Justine Eidt Tobin (no image)
Justine Eidt Tobin
  1. "Winter Analyst Review - Great Experience!"

Former Intern - Investment Banking Winter Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Tobin & Company Investment Banking Group for less than a year

Pros

I worked at Tobin for about a month over the winter break between my Master's program. This was a great opportunity for me to get hands on exposure in an investment bank. The fact that it is a boutique gives analysts great exposure to deal work. I found working here to be a great stepping stone into launching my career. I would 10 out of 10 recommend to anyone interested in a career in banking.

Cons

No cons. This was an incredible experience.

Tobin & Company Investment Banking Group2020-02-04

February 10, 2020Managing Partner

Thanks for your review. Our winter internship is unique - it allows students to spend just a few weeks over the winter holidays learning about IB and getting "investment banking" on their resume. A quick way to draw a bead on the investment banking industry and get your resume in shape.

2. "Analyst Program Review"

Former Intern - Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Tobin & Company Investment Banking Group for less than a year

Pros

I gained valuable experience, worked alongside like-minded individuals, and was given constructive criticism on my work product and professionalism.

Cons

I was only there for a brief period of time.

Tobin & Company Investment Banking Group2019-10-15

October 21, 2019Managing Partner

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to know that this position made a difference in your career and helped you to get to where you are now.

"Launched my career, couldn't have done it without this firm"

Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Tobin & Company Investment Banking Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

I became aware of the fake reviews and hectoring of Justine Tobin that has been happening. So I am setting the record straight. There are us who didn't go to the right university, or didn't get internships soon enough in college, or who didn't get a super high GPA but we wanted to be investment bankers. Tobin & Co was the only game in town (in the country) to get in the business. Justine Tobin takes personal interest in each analyst that interviews and who is hired. She cares about helping people succeed. And she uses her power to help others. I couldn't have gotten where I have in my career without her abiding to take me (any of us) on and to teach me to work and about finance. I learned so much. I stay in touch because she cares about my career. The crowd who right these fake reviews here and spend so much time on the internet badmouthing this firm should just lay off. They really look stupid. Do they have jobs? Doesn't seem so.

Cons

It's "unpaid." Duh. There are bonuses and all expenses are paid. It's an INTERNSHIP.

Tobin & Company Investment Banking Group2019-09-12

September 16, 2019Managing Partner

Thanks for coming back after all of these years and posting a review. We love that you are in touch.

"Experience as Full-Time Analyst (Internship)"

Current Intern - Full Time Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Tobin & Company Investment Banking Group for more than a year

Pros

Since joining Tobin & Company I have been exposed to an extensive amount of projects and had an array of responsibilities. From day one, the introduction training was intense and the MD is very hands on with the training program of each intern. Being able to work directly under the MD is something you do not get to experience with most internship programs in this industry. The MD encourages you to ask her questions directly and is quick to sit down and help you with anything you need help with, as are the rest of the team. You learn a lot fast. In addition you get to know a lot of people in the industry and it is a great platform to network for future opportunities. I am grateful for the knowledge gained thus far in my program.

Cons

The expectations can be demanding.

Tobin & Company Investment Banking Group2019-08-06

September 12, 2019Managing Partner

Thanks for taking time out of the hectic work life at TOBIN and providing a review. We appreciate it.

"Firm is a complete joke"

1.0
    Former Employee - Analyst in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Tobin & Company Investment Banking Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are no literally no upsides to working here.

Cons

Please, please, please do not ever work here. Justine is a terrible boss and is the very definition of toxic. FT analysts are NOT paid. Deal flow is slow. Office is really small. Culture is TOXIC.

Tobin & Company Investment Banking Group2019-08-11

September 5, 2019Managing Partner

We love our trolls! xx #fakereview

"Worst experience you can possibly imagine!"

1.0

I worked at Tobin & Company Investment Banking Group full-time

Pros

Cannot think of anything at all

Cons

-Terrible culture with toxic work envirnoment -Employees are “highly encouraged” (i.e. forced) to leave artificially positive reviews on websites like this to change the fact that the company is viewed as a joke in the business, as it should be... Anybody writing a negative review is considered like an enemy to eliminate and I know for a fact that the company keeps track of these people’s careers to try to get them fired from future employments, especially if they happen to still be in the area. Hence why I needed to hide my identity on glassdoor and why I cannot give more detailed info here. There is many former employees that could be writing this review so I am safe like this and I am quite sure they will not be able to figure out who I am. -The whole business model is to exploit the dream of young kids to become bankers and deceive them that the brand Tobin will help them breaking in somewhere else while in reality anybody looking at your CV and seeing Tobin will think you are worth nothing. Literally anything else in your Cv would be better, those that did succeed in getting meaningful jobs after working at Tobin did so because of their own merits and despite Tobin, not because of it. Stay away! P.S.= Apologies for possibly typos, I wrote this from my phone

Tobin & Company Investment Banking Group2019-05-15

May 27, 2019Managing Partner

Thanks for your review. Your passion indicates why it was best that we part ways. Best wishes to you.

"A former Intern's Perspective Working at Tobin & Company"

I worked at Tobin & Company Investment Banking Group

Pros

The internship program offers a lot of exposure to the investment banking industry. The Managing Director is very considerate of her interns and helps facilitate their learning in every possible way. One of the great things about working at Tobin & Company is that there is a lot of diversity within its interns and full-time analysts. Everyone comes from different backgrounds and offers unique perspectives on every project. Tobin & Company takes great care of its employees and places emphasis on a healthy work/life balance. Personally, I feel as though my internship experience has helped me grow into the savvy business professional that I am today.

Cons

There is a huge learning curve. To anyone who is interested in the internship program: expect to be challenged, nothing will be handed to you. Tobin & Company carries a lot of respect within Charlotte, you will be held to a high standard.

Tobin & Company Investment Banking Group2018-09-05

January 8, 2019Managing Partner

Thanks for this review. We really appreciate it. Your comment about the "huge learning curve" makes us chuckle. This is emblematic of the entire professional -- Nothing is handed to you in investment banking, especially in the big leagues. So this is a good way to see how it works at the best shops in the industry. Thank you again. Best wishes.

"Summer at Tobin & Company"

4.0
    Former Intern - Summer Extern in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Tobin & Company Investment Banking Group for less than a year

Pros

Great exposure to financial modeling, Excel, a team environment, and supportive co-workers.

Cons

The work can be overwhelming at times, but overall I don't have much to say here.

Tobin & Company Investment Banking Group2018-08-27

September 4, 2018Managing Partner

Thanks for your review. We provide externships to first and second year college students. We also provide them to the occasional high school student. The TOBIN externiship ranges between one day and one week in length. It is an opportunity to observe investment banking at TOBIN without the knowledge or commitment to qualify for an internship. Thanks for your review.

"Former Intern Experience at TOBIN"

I worked at Tobin & Company Investment Banking Group

Pros

-Had the opportunity to work with an amazing group of people; colleagues are always willing to support one another in any endeavor -MD possesses a ton of knowledge about the industry and shares her insight quite often -Extensive network of alumni who are very responsive -There's a ton of great resources you have access to, ranging from interview guides to financial models -Enjoyed conducting interviews with potential candidates, as being on the other side of recruitment helped me understand where I could improve on in my own job interviews

Cons

-It can be overwhelming at times with all the projects going on, especially when you are just starting out -MD is very tough, but she helps you grow as both a person and a professional

Tobin & Company Investment Banking Group2018-08-02

August 6, 2018Managing Partner

Thanks for the review. "Very tough" is the name of the game, and we are proud of that. That is what gets interns ready for investment banking., which is the entire objective of the internship program. We are delighted that we were so busy while you were with us. Thanks for joining us and helping us serve our clients well.

"Review by a former summer analyst"

I worked at Tobin & Company Investment Banking Group

Pros

-Significant exposure to financial modeling and client/private equity group meetings at a junior level. -Work with and learn from senior management daily. -Employees tend to become friends. -Supportive of learning, networking, and career exploration/advancement. -A strong and growing alumni network.

Cons

None. Even if you want to work at a very big firm, time at Tobin & Co. will help you develop the skills and relationships to get there.

Tobin & Company Investment Banking Group2018-06-01

June 17, 2018Managing Partner

Thank you for your review. We work hard to provide a valuable experience for each and every intern at TOBIN. We are glad that our hard work is paying off for our crew.

Found 19 reviews