Top Hat Reviews

3.8
Top Hat CEO Joe Rohrlich
Joe Rohrlich
0 Rating
Pros
  • "Free lunch parties great learnings(in 38 reviews)

• "When it was in the office you had a catered lunch(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor remote working structure, unorganized leadership and extremely high turnover rate(in 17 reviews)

• "Very fast paced, not necessarily a bad thing but be ready to have a lot going on(in 12 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "good"

4.0
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in London, England, England

I have been working at Top Hat full-time

Pros

Good and nice place to work

Cons

there are no cons to working

2. "Account Coordinator (Inside Sales Representative)"

I worked at Top Hat full-time

Pros

Amazing people, great hours, good sales experience

Cons

Exclusively cold-calling, must be extremely sales-oriented, can be cut-throat

3. COVID-19

"Moving fast to change the world for the better"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Senior Director, Internal Communications & Employer Brand in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Top Hat full-time for more than a year

Pros

+ Our mission. The work we do is having a big impact on educators and students. And through them, society as a whole. That's a pretty cool thing to wake up to everyday. + The people. Whip-smart folks with diverse experiences and backgrounds who care about each other and our customers. + The market opportunity. The pandemic has accelerated the digital transformation of higher ed. What was taking years to change in academia is now happening in just months. More than ever, educators and students need a solution like Top Hat. + The future. Top Hat just entered our next phase of aggressive growth with a Series E fundraise and a new CEO appointment. Top Hat is poised to become Canada's next narwhal - all we need to do is execute.

Cons

+Top Hat isn't for everyone. We move fast. Being agile and capable of dealing with ambiguity is a must-have. + Risk of analysis paralysis. We have an intense focus on metrics, and sometimes that gets in the way of getting actual work done. + Seeing the forest through the trees. Like every fast-growing company, it's sometimes tricky to see the bigger picture.

Continue reading

"Wouldn't be anywhere else!"

Current Employee - Business Development in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Top Hat full-time

Pros

TALENT: you get to work with some of the smartest, most ambitious, incredibly talented group of people in the gta! ROLE: room to explore different roles and end up in the role where you feel most skilled and fulfilled COMMUNITY: strong community feel with weekly company-wide meetings with lots of great speakers, panelists, informative sessions on company strategy, feel very involved from day 1

Cons

- siloed decision making top down, all depts needs to communicate with each other more and follow better processes for innovation

Continue reading

"Opportunity to make a real difference for students and educators"

Current Employee - Director in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Top Hat full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* With Top Hat's past growth and future ambitions, we get to help thousands of professors and their students. Hearing customers talk about the work they've been able to do using Top Hat is so motivating. * Amazing colleagues - Top Hat hires incredibly smart, driven and caring people * Career growth: I started as an individual contributor and have had tremendous opportunity to learn and grow in my years at Top Hat. There are plenty of challenges to tackle, and lots of opportunities for those who work hard. * Recently introduced parental leave benefits for tenured Top Hatters shows a willingness to invest in and support employees who have stuck with the company

Cons

* Focus: as an ambitious company with big goals, we're good at pivoting and responding, but the flip side is that we're not always great at prioritizing fewer things and focusing on them. * This environment is not for people looking to pass the time in a 9-to-5. You'll get to work alongside hard-working, motivated colleagues but there is LOTS to get done. * Change is a constant. That can be really exciting (I've never had the chance to be bored here!) but can also be unsettling at times.

6. "Lots of opportunity, challenging targets"

4.0
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Top Hat full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity for growth here if you perform well against your sales targets. New roles open up regularly and the company likes to promote from within its ranks. The product is interesting and you get to deal with lots of unique customers.

Cons

All that being said, the sales targets can be challenging to hit. It can be a stressful environment if you're behind your number so you have to be resilient.

"Fast Growing Company"

Current Employee - Director, Organizational Effectiveness in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Top Hat full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Top Hat is a great company to work for because of the excellent people. You will be constantly surrounded by smart and ambitious people who care deeply about feedback and their customers. 2. You will be in for a thrill. Working at a scaleup is risky and exciting. You literally are making a dent in higher ed, despite the challenges of scaling a company. 3. You learn a lot. Unlike in other companies, the opportunities to participate, volunteer, and learn from experience are plentiful. All you have to do, is raise your hand.

Cons

1. It's a fast-moving company with a lot of changes. If this is not what you are looking for, you will not be happy here. 2. We are a technology-first company, but may have a reputation as a publisher. We look for tech enthusiasts. 3. We have a negative reputation out there. We made mistakes, we know it, we own up to it. We will do better.

"Career Accelerator"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Top Hat full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- People share what they know aggressively - The work is challenging because of necessary complexity not accidental complexity (although there is some of that too) - Smart people empowered to take intiative

Cons

- The different departments are siloed and don't communicate enough

Continue reading

"The ultimate grind but worth it"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Top Hat full-time

Pros

- good benefits - free lunch - very team-oriented and collaborative environment - if you work hard and with intention, you can easily differentiate yourself from the pack and rise to the top - If you do well, you can get promoted in no time (time it takes to get promoted is a fraction of what it is in other companies) - you can become a manager in less than 2 years of being an AE there, and AE promotions in less than a year. - the place to be for career growth - company is maturing so starting to make good business decisions

Cons

- transactional sales for the most part so hard to build consultative sales skills - culture of micro-management (WFH days were only recently allowed) - company has been around for a little while so many accounts are saturated with touch points (forces you to get creative though) - most managers are junior and don't receive formal manager training from company - the various sales roles are not that much different from each other (you can get promoted and make more $$ but day-to-day will remain for the most part)

Continue reading

"Fast-paced, demanding and rewarding"

Current Employee - Manager Sales in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Top Hat full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The level of the talent and intelligence from the contributors around me - The opportunities for advancement cross-functionally or otherwise - The transparency and communication of company achievement at weekly all hands - The company's commitment to making employees' voices heard in NPS surveys, and Q&As - Stellar recruitment function, very responsive to the needs of the hire and of the internal team

Cons

- The fast-paced nature is very demanding, things often change quickly and we need to react quickly as well. "Build the plane while you fly it" attitude to pivoting. - Some internal silos, especially in remote work environment

Viewing 1 - 10 of 311 Reviews