Towergate Insurance "towergate" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Towergate Insurance Employee Reviews about "towergate"

Updated Sep 11, 2019

Found 205 reviews

2.5
Towergate Insurance CEO David Ross  (no image)
David Ross
Pros
  • "Great work culture, really enjoyed being at Towergate the team are great(in 21 reviews)

• "Good people - dynamic company - always evolving(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "I have seen many favourites leave under the guise of a "reorganisation" (Towergate do a lot of these on a frequent basis)(in 27 reviews)

• "There is being a team player and then there is just being ignorant to the problems around you because you don't want to upset senior management(in 17 reviews)

Reviews about "towergate"

Return to all Reviews

"Avoid"

Former Employee - Development Executive

I worked at Towergate Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent technology infrastructure A good industry to be involved in and Towergate is able to attract competitive rates from insurers due to its size

Cons

Poor management would be an understatement Bullying style mentality from senior employees who try to strengthen their own positions Very uninspiring offices and terrible culture amongst the workforce. Very much an “us against them” culture between different departments. I joined on a graduate scheme which had zero structure or career development opportunities. Complete waste of time apart from the fact I was... able to do an insurance qualification and that the company looks decent on your CV. Couldn’t recommend less

Advice to Management

Sack existing managers and hire new ones

Towergate Insurance2019-02-26
  2. "Somewhat disappointing"

Current Employee - New Business Advisor in Colchester, England

I have been working at Towergate Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Pay is decent, commission is also a nice bonus. - Laid back attitude in the office, but I must admit that this will depend on the people you work with so it's not a Towergate pro per se. - Coffee and tea at your disposal. - Opportunity for further training, various courses or accrediatations you can apply for. The trainers themselves are actually quite nice and helpful people. - Some employees are... well intentioned and hard working but continuously under-appreciated, even among the managers. Those people will be your friends and make your life much easier, though. I am struggling to find more pros as the rest are personal and not connected to or due to Towergate.

Cons

- The company insists on all customer services values but when it comes down to it all they seem to care about is the money. People who perform on their target are rewarded even if their behaviour is non-compliant while others will be taxed if they perform very well on everything apart from their target. - Management comes off as very unapproachable. Won't give you the time of the day unless your're part of a... certain clique. - You will be expected to do unpaid over-time and you are not allowed to try to avoid it. - Very difficult to change illogical or unfair day-to-day procedures or lack of procedure altogether. - Outdated systems and poor IT management. The "new" system keeps getting delayed and the company keeps setting deadlines that clearly will not be met. - Very little room for advancement and little career opportunities, people have actually been discouraged from pursuing a change in position. - Other people have spoken about nepotism, which is true. Also very strange considering there is a high staff turn over. People leave...a lot. - Old or improper office equipment. It's amazing what a chair with proper lumbar support can do to your daily productivity.

Advice to Management

Review your day to day procedures as they are outdated and could be improved. Office management should also be more open to discussion and approachable. Should also review what you really care about in day to day business rather than giving mixed signals to your staff as questionable behaviour keeps getting rewarded as long as money is coming in. There have been occasions when management has actually been... insulting to the staff but I also think that is up to the individuals to sort out. I can't shake the feeling though that as people we don't really matter when we're at the bottom of the food chain. Probably explains the high staff turn over. Forcing your staff to do unpaid over-time is also unacceptable and results in them developing various ways to try and avoid it at the expense of your customer base and company resources. I can imagine recruiting and hiring new staff all the time is costly. Productivity would probably increase if you treated your staff fairly instead of hounding them and overworking them with no reward in return. I don't shy away from hard work as long as I feel I'm working towards something and is appreciated. I am open to discuss this in more detail should anyone want to contact me, I do not feel like discussing this with the higher-ups of my particular branch is wanted or would bring any results, but I am also of the opinion a company should be given the opportunity to improve. I wouldn't have taken the time to write this review if I didn't care about work ethic and improving things.

Towergate Insurance2018-10-11
  3. "Sales Executive"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Cheltenham, England

I worked at Towergate Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work culture, really enjoyed being at Towergate the team are great!

Cons

The work can be repetitive and boring

Towergate Insurance2018-03-01

"Unprofessional"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Cheltenham, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Towergate Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

The products Towergate sell are great and they look after their customers.

Cons

Caravan sales TLs are patronising and unprofessional. They set unrealistic targets and are very unwilling to help.

Advice to Management

Check your TLs are doing their job properly and that people are actually happy. They are the reason so many people are leaving

Towergate Insurance2018-04-03

"Would not recommend if you want to feel valued"

I worked at Towergate Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

benefits are ok but not really ground breaking. Free tea and coffee and office was modern . Immediate team - made friends for life

Cons

If your face fits you will be fine. But there's no guarantee that you will always be in favour. I have seen many favourites leave under the guise of a "reorganisation" (Towergate do a lot of these on a frequent basis) Inequality is rife. New recruits come in on higher salaries than people who have been doing the job for years. When this is raised nothing comes of it. A lot of good experience people leave as a... result. Poor performance and poor attitude - at senior level as well as mid level - is never addressed. In fact, often rewarded.

Advice to Management

The rhetoric always spouted that Towergate is a "people business" and that "people are our greatest asset" needs to be followed up with action. Decisions are made quickly which cost millions but then a few years later the decisions are reversed (what happened in Manchester with SBU). The new management team will say that it was before their time. But, there is a cloud of uncertainty over many offices and a... nervousness amongst staff. Engagement is key but despite the rhetoric, people I worked with are more disengaged as ever.

Towergate Insurance2018-01-23
  6. "Changing for the better - fast"

Former Employee - N/A in London, England

I worked at Towergate Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many really great people to work with. High quality new leadership team, led by David Ross, clear strategy, robust financial backing mean real positive change is happening - there's a bright future for Towergate after years of decline.

Cons

Group strategy and leadership (former Chairman, CEO, Exec) was of a low standard for many years allied to chronic debt levels and total lack of investment in infrastructure.

Advice to Management

Keep cracking on.

Towergate Insurance2017-07-06
  7. "Great things to come..."

I have been working at Towergate Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Towergate has a real sense of community - it doesn't matter what office you go to, the people are always at the heart of it and there's a sense of belonging. I've been at Towergate for almost three years and I've had plenty of opportunities and been able to progress my career with the help of my colleagues and management.

Cons

Not necessarily a con, but as a company they may face challenges overcoming the 'Towergate past' and reputation.

Advice to Management

Keep listening and putting your employees first. They've overcome many challenges and with great things on the horizon, just make sure everyone can be a part of it.

Towergate Insurance2017-06-06
  8. "Marketing Manager"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Leeds, England

I worked at Towergate Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Towergate is a respected name in the insurance world with a broad range of businesses within it. Some great, knowledgeable colleagues Opportunities to learn, develop and progress.

Cons

Some of the businesses withing Towergate were poorly integrated, which led to a silo mentality. The senior leadership of the marketing function did not represent us as well as they could have done.

Advice to Management

Hard to say as the business has moved on a lot in the 3+ years since I have been there, but recent developments seem to be pushing it in the right direction.

Towergate Insurance2017-05-25

"Great environment, room for improvement."

Current Employee - CSA in Stevenage, England

I have been working at Towergate Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training provider. I knew nothing about insurance, before coming to Towergate. The training delivered is the best I've ever received.

Cons

Scripts and Fair Presentation statement. Need to be customer friendly. Pay is not in line with other Customer Service Roles . Limited career progression. Don't always keep up with competitors.

Advice to Management

Really listen to the staff. They speak with the clients directly.

Towergate Insurance2017-02-28
  10. "A premature end"

Current Employee - Operations in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Towergate Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Loved working for towergate in Manchester, great atmosphere, best team that I have collectively worked with and a real sense of togetherness in working for the same goal. The potential within the Manchester office was without limit

Cons

Manchester Office closed despite great efforts from all the staff to turn around failing performances into a positive position. Short sighted senior team outside of Manchester. Wages and benefits not particularly competitive.

Advice to Management

Senior management team outside of manchester were very short sighted and stuck in an outdated method of working, terrified of moving with the times

Towergate Insurance2017-02-02