Trafigura Junior Trader Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Trafigura Junior Trader Reviews

Updated 31 Jan 2018

Trafigura CEO Jeremy Weir
Jeremy Weir

"Overall Good experience but can be tough at times"

Former Employee - Junior Trader in Geneva
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Trafigura full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast-paced environment and you get to work with some of the most talented minds in the industry. Front office roles offer lots to learn and room to grow.

Cons

Tough environment with long working hours and plenty of internal politics. Very difficult to break into senior management as it's run by an "old guard" very closed network of senior traders. Back/Middle office roles seem very process driven with high turnover.

Trafigura2018-02-01

"International Trader Programme"

Current Employee - Junior Trader in Geneva

I have been working at Trafigura full-time for more than a year

Pros

Responsibility - biggest benefit for me. No doubts about it, you're thrown straight in and most will handle very real money from Day 1. Risk appetite - much better appetite and pace than majors.

Cons

Management is crap - young traders are worth nothing to them and stepped upon all the time. Questionable hiring - Every quarter about 3-5 people are hired and most of us scratch our heads at the what the additional people are going to do. Some are smart and hired for regional offices, others are clearly bank people with no clue on physical trading. Before you know it, they fire an equal number of people... internally to keep headcount stable. Zero job security - quite clear from above. I wish it was as simple as PnL but firing sometimes is absolutely random in Traf and comes with no notice at all. One of our colleagues was fired a day after doing a term deal that made 2mil of profit upfront. Support functions (risk, contracts, ops) - is horrible. Everything is outsourced to India - people are smart but processes are slow. Takes upto 10 days to issue a single contract with traders being asked questions about the tiniest details in a contract. Operators for most part have little commercial experience and need to guided all along the process. Poor training is to blame for most of this. Senior traders cling to their 'accounts' - this means the company is very account focussed, people talk to their counterparties even when they're on leave and refuse to let others in the team talk to them. Extremely weird for me (oil major background) as we're used to working together with others in a team and have never seen this territorial marking. This also means that you're never actually on a holiday in Traf as they make sure you're handling your own job and remain answerable on the phone at all times.

Advice to Management

Train the Indian office better. Traders need to focus on making money rather than watching over their operators, deals desk and the contracts team over prior deal execution! Warn 3 months before you fire. Have some logic when you do. More than one person per account. More inclusive work attitude especially management to junior traders.

Trafigura2017-06-26

"Salary"

Junior Oil Trader in Geneva, IL

I have been working at Trafigura

Pros

You get to work across various functions inside the company.

Cons

Long working hours and is only good for people without family

Advice to Management

Stress on training and work life balance.

Trafigura2015-10-05