Trafigura Trader Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Jeremy Weir

"Best place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Trader

I worked at Trafigura full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The CEO of the INDIA office, Mr. Bajaj is one of the smartest people I have ever met. He is a visionary. The career growth at Trafigura and the salaries there are unmatched.

Cons

I can’t think of any.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing Mr. Bajaj

Trafigura2019-06-27
  2. "great place to work - traf"

Current Employee - Trader in Mumbai

I have been working at Trafigura full-time for more than a year

Pros

work place , superb energy , great people , open culture , facilities , freedom

Cons

some more parties possibly

Advice to Management

keep the good work up

Trafigura2018-08-23

"Overall Good experience but can be tough at times"

Former Employee - Junior Trader in Geneva
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Trafigura full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast-paced environment and you get to work with some of the most talented minds in the industry. Front office roles offer lots to learn and room to grow.

Cons

Tough environment with long working hours and plenty of internal politics. Very difficult to break into senior management as it's run by an "old guard" very closed network of senior traders. Back/Middle office roles seem very process driven with high turnover.

Trafigura2018-02-01
  4. "Overall good place to work in commodity trading industry"

Former Employee - Equity Trader in Geneva

I worked at Trafigura full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very good place to learn everything about commodity. Successful business model.

Cons

less upside career promotion and unclear performance evaluation process

Trafigura2017-10-16

"International Trader Programme"

Current Employee - Junior Trader in Geneva

I have been working at Trafigura full-time for more than a year

Pros

Responsibility - biggest benefit for me. No doubts about it, you're thrown straight in and most will handle very real money from Day 1. Risk appetite - much better appetite and pace than majors.

Cons

Management is crap - young traders are worth nothing to them and stepped upon all the time. Questionable hiring - Every quarter about 3-5 people are hired and most of us scratch our heads at the what the additional people are going to do. Some are smart and hired for regional offices, others are clearly bank people with no clue on physical trading. Before you know it, they fire an equal number of people... internally to keep headcount stable. Zero job security - quite clear from above. I wish it was as simple as PnL but firing sometimes is absolutely random in Traf and comes with no notice at all. One of our colleagues was fired a day after doing a term deal that made 2mil of profit upfront. Support functions (risk, contracts, ops) - is horrible. Everything is outsourced to India - people are smart but processes are slow. Takes upto 10 days to issue a single contract with traders being asked questions about the tiniest details in a contract. Operators for most part have little commercial experience and need to guided all along the process. Poor training is to blame for most of this. Senior traders cling to their 'accounts' - this means the company is very account focussed, people talk to their counterparties even when they're on leave and refuse to let others in the team talk to them. Extremely weird for me (oil major background) as we're used to working together with others in a team and have never seen this territorial marking. This also means that you're never actually on a holiday in Traf as they make sure you're handling your own job and remain answerable on the phone at all times.

Advice to Management

Train the Indian office better. Traders need to focus on making money rather than watching over their operators, deals desk and the contracts team over prior deal execution! Warn 3 months before you fire. Have some logic when you do. More than one person per account. More inclusive work attitude especially management to junior traders.

Trafigura2017-06-26

"Trader"

Former Employee - Trader in Houston, TX

I worked at Trafigura full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of physical exposures, big networks, u can spend more time in office working than be with your family, especially in Europe offices

Cons

Pay is now below industry average unless you are favorite of mgmt. lots of politics, inner circle, steal credits, and house cleanings

Advice to Management

None, so vitol can gradually hire more ex-traf and taking over

Trafigura2017-01-20

"Be advised and consider carefully..."

Trader
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Trafigura

Pros

Well structured benefits and remuneration. Some truly gifted, intelligent people working there.

Cons

Unfortunately, same people are not in position of management. "Aggressive" policies deemed a substitute for skill and or experience. This has lead to numbingly poor decisions, investments and trades. Witnessed exceptional and valued young workers resign in frustration when company purports to be nurturing same. Similar to other posts read, experienced outsiders brought in only to be sapped of knowledge and... contacts in favour of an inner-circle that any other true trade shop would have sacked. Companies good trades/deals weighted down by those poor performers.

Advice to Management

Management by fear reflects inherent weakness, petulant behaviour and inexperience. Could be an excellent company if would listed more as opposed to decision by edict.

Trafigura2016-07-14

"Salary"

Junior Oil Trader in Geneva, IL

I have been working at Trafigura

Pros

You get to work across various functions inside the company.

Cons

Long working hours and is only good for people without family

Advice to Management

Stress on training and work life balance.

Trafigura2015-10-05
  9. "great experience"

Trader in Mumbai

I have been working at Trafigura

Pros

great management, good environment, nice environment and supportive collegues.

Cons

sometimes excess of work, leading to excess of work pressure. management should understand all efforts are not converted to business.

Advice to Management

no region is good or bad its only how one does the business.

Trafigura2012-01-14