Trailfinders Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.9
Trailfinders Chairman Mike Gooley
Mike Gooley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There are excellent opportunities to travel with 32 days paid holiday plus bank holidays (in 22 reviews)

• Amazing travel perks (dedicated staff travel department) (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is hard to maintain (in 20 reviews)

• Can work some long hours (but overtime is paid) (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exeter, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exeter, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Intensive initial training followed by lots of support when you land in the travel centre.
    Great travel perks enabling you to travel lots (good holiday allowance after the first couple of years).
    A fun place to work - clients coming to see you are happy to be booking a holiday, and your colleagues are all like-minded, energetic people interested in travel.
    Best pay in the industry.
    Good career progression opportunities.

Cons

At the start the weekends can get to you a little but you get used to it and having days off in the week to get your shopping and admin done is quite nice.
    The uniform makes you feel a bit like you work in a bank.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and carry on listening to your staff.

9 Feb 2018

Thanks for the feedback! A review of the uniform is already underway, listening to feedback from the people who wear it first and foremost.

2. "7 months at Trailfinders"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I worked at Trailfinders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Holiday fund - commission - great salary - interest subject matter - free educational holidays - tax free flights - free accommodation - free lunch - expenses paid in depth training in London

Cons

Intense - long hours - short lunch - not alot of autonomy

3. "Great travel opportunities, few irritating aspects"

Current Employee - Worldwide Travel Consultant in Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Worldwide Travel Consultant in Bristol, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having worked here for just over a year here’s my two cents:
    - Great travel opportunities (Free hotel nights, discounted flights, educational trips etc)
    - If you work hard, you get rewarded with some nice payouts.
    - You can move up the pay scale fairly quickly.
    - Majority of clients are friendly people.
    - All like minded people who get on so it’s a good atmosphere in the office (in my one anyway).
    - In depth training in London.

Cons

- My biggest bug is how inflexible holiday and time off is. Most regimented job I’ve worked in for this.
    - Half an hour lunch for a 9 hour day. One hour is overtime pay but this isn’t optional.
    - First 6 months are tough, quite hard to get used to how regimented the company is.
    - It’s not all selling holidays - some gritty admin/irritating clients to deal.

4. "Good experience in the short term"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Consultant in London, England

I worked at Trailfinders full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Discounted travel opportunities
    Free lunch
    Good salary/bonuses
    Good industry training

Cons

Lack of ability to manage people as individuals
    Constant pressure
    Heavy workload
    Automatic distrust of staff
    Promote excellent customer service but do not treat their staff with the same respect

Advice to Management

Treat your staff like you treat your clients. Exceed their expectations.

"Premium consultant"

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I get paid every month.

Cons

The gradual demise of the previous "superest of desks" department suggests that TF does not really value it's premium staff or it's premium clients as the exodus to travel counsellors and the rest continues. Promoting staff with limited experience and seemingly limited ability again suggests a real lack of understanding of how fundamental these skills are to a successful office and company overall.
    By allowing pretty much anyone to book premium cabins and experiences you create a scenario when a primary school child is attempting a degree at Cambridge.....pointless and wasting resources that are already there.
    I wonder who'll be next to leave? Also don't believ any of the reviews that are positive on here...management have been told to add them to give balance.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff!

4 May 2018 – Editor

Thank you for taking the time to lay down your thoughts and giving us the chance to respond. I appreciate change can feel uncomfortable.

I would encourage you to give me a call as I feel you have... More

"Hard work pays off"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The first 12 months are particularly overwhelming, however if you’ve got decent selling ability and are prepared to put in the hours the perks are definitely worth it. The social side is fantastic and most offices get on brilliantly.
    Moving up between pay brackets is also fairly quick, providing you’re a good seller, and overtime rates increase here as well.
    Free lunch is basic but saves you a fortune overall. If you're prepared to work hard and have a genuine passion for travel (and don’t mind customer service), it’s a brilliant place to build up some experience and take advantage of the fantastic travel opportunities at the very least.

Cons

The first 6 months will leave you exhausted and wondering if it’s worth it.
    Need to be based in London to get out of sales and into other departments.
    Working weekends, working at least a couple of hours overtime a week and getting out of the office late during peak sales months is unavoidable. Work life balance is hard to maintain.
    Ultimately it’s a customer service job, you spend several hours a day on the phone and less time dealing with clients in store face to face, like every customer service role you need to be patient as clients can be quite hit and miss.

Advice to Management

Update the uniform, give staff more responsibility and treat them as adults, provide more support for new recruits with more experienced members of staff

"Overall positive"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Reading, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are prepared to work hard and are good in a target driven environment you could be earning in excess of £30k within 2-3 years. The people are like minded and a great bunch, the travel perks are incredible with not only the offerings of free trips but also the use of great staff deals. Yes the hours are long but the pay reflects it, its the best in the industry. In a nutshell it's a classic example of work hard/play hard and reap the travel rewards.

Cons

The long hours for me isn't a negative, however the hours we work on a Sunday/bank holidays I think is ludicrous . We are the only shop open in any town after 4pm on a Sunday (open til 6) and being open on Easter Sunday is so ridiculous is laughable. They get their money's worth out of us but as I said previous, the salary does reflect that.

Advice to Management

You allow people to work 15 days straight in January as it is "busy season" however when it doesn't suit you, if we are desperate for a day swap in week we cant do more than 6 days. Try being a bit more flexible and using your brain rather that just saying "its the rules!!"

19 Feb 2018

Thanks for your feedback. We have been working hard for some time on improving the flexibility of the roster. A memo is going out to everyone today regarding changes which I am sure you will find... More

"Want to talk about holidays all day long?"

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Results orientated - you see instant results from the hard work you put in & there are always goals for you to achieve which keeps you focussed & engaged. Management are always there to help you find ways to improve or offer encouragement. Although there is a strict structure, it does make the job easier and more beneficial in the long run.
    2. Varied & Always learning - you never know what you are going to pick up on the next call which keeps life interesting and makes the days go very quickly! Varied rota's too which means you can make the most of your holiday days & never have Monday blues - its always a Friday for someone in the office!!
    3. Opportunities to progress - because of the systematic promotion system even if you stay as a Travel Consultant you will still be moving up grade levels every 6months or so in the first 2 years. And if you want to move further afield into different departments you are always encouraged to do so!
    4. Amazing people to work with and great social perks!! Everyone is very likeminded, friendly and there to help each other out. There are loads of nights out /educational trips throughout the year that suppliers put on for us that are great fun!

Cons

As with any job, the things that make it great are double edged and also make it frustrating;
    1. Although the healthy competition is fun & engaging, the constant comparing & ranking against yourself and your colleagues does become tiresome. It can sometimes feel as though we are being moulded into one narrow standard instead of being rewarded for creativity & initiative. I know that some people find the feedback feels like constant criticism, but keep in mind, management are only doing their job too and trying to encourage you to be as best as you can be at your job!
    2. The sheer scale of the product we offer & procedures we follow can, at the beginning, feel particularly overwhelming. It is useful to remember you're not expected to remember or know everything - every day you will be learning something new, even after 2 or 30 years!! Working weekends is never going to be anyone's favourite thing to do & it can be difficult to plan things outside of work because of the strange shift hours.
    3. Again, I know that some people feel if you do not fit into the exact mould they want, it can be difficult to move around.
    4. No bad side to this one - there is a real sense of community!

****
    At the end of the day, its a sales job in a high street store so its going to have different challenges and frustrations to your average office job. But its not rocket science so don't take it all too seriously & remember, what is better than talking about travel and holidays all day long?
    *****

Advice to Management

Keep up the improvements that have been happening lately eg suggestion boxes, a much more understanding approach from management
    Have a bit more trust in the incredible 600+ people that you have hired and their ability to do the job!

9 Feb 2018

Thanks for the review! We agree that our staff are our biggest asset so keep the feedback coming.

"Social life? Gone"

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really great bonuses and perks if you can get to them before anyone else
    Manage your own time if you haven’t got the manager on your back
    Can make good commission
    Good chances to move up and explore different areas of the business

Cons

The rota system is rubbish. They don’t tell you at training that you can’t take long weekends off (Friday to Monday), they make it impossible to swap with people and they don’t care if you work 100 weekends in a row
    Long hours and loads of weekends mean you lose your friends because you can never see them
    You get treated like a baby and they don’t trust you
    So much to learn and scolded if you get something wrong

Advice to Management

Let people take more time off work! So what if Fridays and Mondays are a tinier bit busier than weekdays? Some people want to go on HOLIDAY with their friends but can’t because the rota system is so messed up (can’t go on holiday with a travel company, who knew?) and TRUST US. If we spend more than 30 min on a booking it’s because we don’t want to make mistakes!!

19 Feb 2018

Thank you for taking the time to send your feedback. We have been working hard on improving flexibility of the roster. This has been a long term project and a memo is going out to everyone today... More

10. "Best of both worlds, good pay, good travel perks"

Current Employee - Sales Team Leader in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Sales Team Leader in Manchester, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get out what you put in...if you stay late (optional) you get paid for the time you’re in the office.
    Its a target driven sales environment in a fast paced role with shifts that range from 8am - 8pm 7 days a week, if this is for you then you can’t beat the job.
    If you can handle this then, for me, it’s the best job i’ve had for work put in vs payout(30k plus after you’re a senior which can take around 2years)/travel perks/holiday time given.
    The people you work with are all predominantly travellers by nature so generally awesome people, internal progression gives great opportunities throughout your career and the constantly changing dynamic of the travel industry combined with not being tied in to just one destination means a varied day every day.
    Generally speaking a great level of support from everyone in the office up to senior management level.

Cons

A roster that could be improved, split days off can mean a tough work/life balance.
    Sometimes a struggle to negotiate the swapping of weekends to book more than a week off at a time.

9 Feb 2018

Thanks for the feedback! A review of the roster is underway to make getting time off quicker and easier.