Trailfinders Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

4.2
Toby Kelly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There are excellent opportunities to travel with 32 days paid holiday plus bank holidays" (in 25 reviews)

• "Amazing travel perks (dedicated staff travel department)" (in 27 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Great Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Sales Team Leader in Bath, England
    Current Employee - Sales Team Leader in Bath, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Trailfinders is a great company to work for, and one of the standout employers in the travel industry. The salary is substantial (especially with bonuses factored in), the opportunity to travel excellent, and you get to work with a great bunch of like minded people. They only promote from within so the potential for promotion and advancement is high. The atmosphere amongst staff is top notch, and there are plenty of opportunities to travel whilst working here. I've worked for Trailfinders for more than ten years, and genuinely look forward to going to work each day. No one day is the same, and I've had plenty of opportunities to try new roles and work in different locations over the years. Trailfinders invests heavily in its staff, and with a great training programme and local support network there's no reason not to succeed in a career here.

Cons

The hours can be long, and sometimes unsociable, but hey that's retail for you. The directors have recently made big improvements to flexibility in the working roster following feedback from staff, and I can think of very few downsides to working for this great company.

4 Oct 2018

Thanks for your input; great to hear that the recent roster improvements are benefiting consultants.

2. "If you love talking about travel this is the place for you!"

Current Employee - Sales Team Leader in Guildford, England
    Current Employee - Sales Team Leader in Guildford, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunities to travel
    Travel fund so you can visit the destinations and product that we sell on your own holidays
    Great like minded colleagues!
    One of the best up front salaries in the industry - opportunities for sales bonuses if you work hard

Cons

Long hours and weekend work - however that is just the way things roll these days when you are client facing. You know what you are getting in to when applying for the job so if you have an issue with this it may not be the place for you!
    You may get stuck on the phone just before your shift ends - but you get paid overtime for every minute you work.

3. "Leader in the market"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time

Pros

Great travel benefits and one of the highest salaries in the industry.
    Fabulous training program with no prior Travel Agency experience required.
    Good perks, great people.

Cons

You have to work hard to get serious money, long hours and shift work to fit into the demand, but its worth it.
    The segregation of different product inquiries causes frustration to staff that may know a lot about a destination but cannot sell it.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, keep working to improve how the roster and holiday entitlement are handled - this needs improvement.
    Consider rolling out bespoke services to staff who know about the destination rather than those that are taught.

4. "Industry leading"

Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader in Worcester, England
    Current Employee - Sales Floor Team Leader in Worcester, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

To my knowledge the best training and salary in Travel based on research and speaking to friends at other leading travel agents. They offer you a 5 week supportive class based learning environment aswell as covering your travel to London where the Head office is located. Your accommodation is covered at a heavy discount which is really generous in my opinion. The starting salary is high and it is performance based so it is very fair across the board. There are plenty of opportunities for progression as the rate of expansion is approximately two new Travel centres a year as well as the fact they only promote from within so this job would be ideal for people seeking management experience. I have worked in Kensington,Richmond and Worcester and all the offices have a relaxed environment and the people you work with are fun and interesting!
    The staff benefits are incredible , the flexibility to go on at least 5 luxury holidays a year.

Cons

The weekends, but this is the industry you are in so should be expected.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

5. "I have worked for Trailfinders for under a year but I already love it!"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Worcester, England
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Worcester, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training you receive is incredible. The training department work very hard to make sure you are well equipped for anything before starting in the Travel Centre. The constant support and guidance you receive from staff is extremely helpful and the manager, team leaders and other colleagues are there to help when you need it. You never feel as though you have no one to ask or help and I am not afraid to ask questions even when they feel like a stupid ones!

Overall I think it’s a great company and I really enjoy working here.

Cons

The only downside of the job is the uniform. I like to wear a uniform as it does make things easier, but this uniform is not the best. It is comfortable but not the smartest.

6. "Exceeding Expectations"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Cambridge, East of England, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I feel very looked after at this company, there are many positives to working here not least a paid lunch break and a free lunch each day! It is nice to work with like minded colleagues with similar interests, and as everyone has to have traveled quite extensively there are always incredible stories to share. I also enjoy sharing my stories with our clients who are always interested in our experiences as that is what they come to us to find.
    I learn more about the world each day in our Cambridge office situated in the heart of this historic city and get to meet some very interesting people through our doors.
    Salaries are very good with a clear structure in place to support and encourage progress and promotion within the company, an opportunity to transfer to any office nationwide is very appealing should my circumstances require.
    Travel incentives and opportunities are excellent and I have added some incredible memories to my already flattering travel experience. There are both summer and xmas parties to look forward to as well as other nights out on occasion.

Cons

My bucket list keeps getting longer and longer! Hard work is required but it is well rewarded. Long and late hours leave for careful planning to get a good life work balance.

Advice to Management

Holiday rota needs improving. (ironically)

"This is why you should work for Trailfinders"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Norwich, England
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Norwich, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for Trailfinders for just over a year and I have to say that it’s been an incredible experience!!

Here’s why....

The training is well planned and well delivered. The process/procedure side of things is covered off methodically and the assessments at the end of each week help you to digest the information and show you where you need to focus your attention. The trainers are patient and encouraging and take the time to explain things in a way that is easy to understand. The ongoing training once in the Travel Centre is well paced and well supported. Regular meetings with your GM and Team Leader allow you to talk through your progress and any concerns you have. This is invaluable when you are learning to put the theory into practice and their input helps you to fill in the gaps in your knowledge. Norwich has a large number of long standing members of staff and the level of experience in both management and colleagues is exceptional! Their support and kindness has helped me to feel confident and encouraged at all times.

The way you progress is straight forward-you work hard and do what’s being asked of you and you see the benefits early on. You follow a set structure of targets to reach your promotions and it’s the same for everyone so, as soon as you hit these you open up your pay rises and your opportunity for further development. The new skills you learn as you progress open up other areas of the business where you can receive greater rewards on an individual level.

The Staff Travel incentives are amazing-with new offers popping up all the time and you are encouraged to take them. I’ve been offered three Fam Trips since I started and I’ve taken advantage of two so, if you are flexible and spontaneous it’s there for the taking!!

As others have mentioned, the people are like minded, intelligent and always ready to bounce around an idea about a new destination or help you decide where to go next! The lunches are delivered daily and paid for by the company as is any travel/accommodation associated with your training or work related trips and the salary is the best in the business so, couple this with the pride you get from working for a company so well respected in the industry and it’s difficult to find a reason not to work here!!

Cons

I genuinely feel very positive about working for Trailfinders - Yes the hours are long and the days off are not always together but, you get paid an hour overtime daily which boosts your basic salary and if you are flexible and prepared to work out your roster in advance you can generally work round your rest days and time off. I have to say that these two things do not outway the positive aspects of working for such a well established and well run organisation.

Advice to Management

Keep Listening!!

8. "Love it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aberdeen, Scotland

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Trailfinders is a great company to work for, you get what you put in (it is a sales job) but they do all the can to set you up with the tools and skills to achieve as much as possible , with ongoing training and development plans, you also get great staff deals, free lunch, educationals, free nights out , my office has a great atompshere and everyone you work with it are like minded, well travelled and intelligent

Cons

Hours, but you get paid well for this , and in quieter months you get chance to leave on the early list. it’s 50% off for weekends and then when your in other departments even more weekends off I like having the mix of weekend and mid week days off

4 Oct 2018

Many thanks for taking the time to post your feedback!

9. "Equal opportunities"

Current Employee - General Manager in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - General Manager in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Having worked in various specialist sales departments over the years I took the opportunity to move into management. I have to say that there have been equal opportunities available to me as a woman throughout my career. I enjoy the variation in my day to day role where coaching, sales, customer service, quality assurance and general management of the travel centre are my main responsibilities. Working for a trust worthy travel company, that has the clients' needs as their primary concern, is very important to me. I feel my fellow management team and Directors are very approachable and although I am given the autonomy and responsibility to run and develop my own team in Glasgow I know that I have the backing and support of a greater team at any time. Of course we have fantastic travel opportunities and discounts too which continue even when moving away from front line sales. I work with a great team who all love travel and have a similar outlook which also plays an important role in my job satisfaction.

Cons

Two late shifts per week which can mean finishing at 8pm. However, we are well remunerated for our longer shifts although we are not always guaranteed to finish on time which can effect a work/life balance. This is especially true during times of "international crisis" such as earthquakes, fires etc when the role can be very stressful. It is, however, rewarding to see how well supported our clients are during these times and how TFs first priority is to the clients.

Advice to Management

Would like to see improved communication from personnel which I know is under review. Rostering / annual leave has become more complicated in recent months due to a new system but again I know this is being addressed at present. More numbers in "watch" are required to help alleviate pressure on GM's and 2ICs who pick up the strain during times of crisis.

10. "Great work atmosphere and even greater perks!"

Current Employee - Consultant in Richmond, London, England
    Current Employee - Consultant in Richmond, London, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone that I've met in the company to date has been friendly and I can say that I consider those in my shop to be friends rather than colleagues. The perks of heavily discounted travel and nights out with suppliers more than make up for the weekends you work. People go on about the work/life balance being difficult but I've not found that, just be prepared to work when you need to and play when you have to!

Cons

When you go into Tesco people ask you where things are due to the similar uniform.
    Getting the time off you want can be difficult sometimes but they are working to make this easier.

4 Oct 2018

Thanks for your input. A uniform review is already underway, consulting with the staff who wear it every day. You should soon be seeing the results.