Trailfinders Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Trailfinders Chairman Mike Gooley
Mike Gooley

Pros
  • The firm provides a free lunch but doesn't cater to vegans or ethnic beliefs (in 13 reviews)

• Work colleagues and excellent travel perks (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • It was a poor work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Long hours, micromanagement, difficult to have work-life balance when so tired at the end of the day (in 13 reviews)

"Very professional travel company to be proud to work for."

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, fantastic teams of people.
    Excellent salary.
    Amazing travel opportunities.
    A company to be proud to work for.
    Highly autonomous for the most part.

Cons

Long hours and quite inflexible. Shift swaps can be done in advance but it can be quite difficult to get time off when you need it. I'd say about 70% of the time it's not a problem though.

Big brother - basically, if you're longer than 10 minutes wrapped up and not available for calls, a member of staff from a centralised team will ask you what you're up to. But to be frank, why shouldn't they? You can pre-empt this by telling them you have admin to do and require a 'time out'. It's there to keep staff efficient. I see lots of people moaning about this on here and whilst I get it... it's only common sense for a company to introduce something like this and it's really only a mild irritant.

Advice to Management

Develop an opportunity for minor league staff to have a greater influence on company decisions... maybe by means of a suggestion box on the intranet.

"Setting the record straight"

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We get a 25 minutes lunch break which is long enough and food provided from a different local company depending where you based. Generally a poor standard but that is reflective of the company providing rather than Trailfinders When people have an hours lunch break in other jobs they usually eat it at their desk! We get to other breaks throughout the day to go to the toilet and make drinks etc. We are rostered to work 9 hour days, but there is usually the opportunity outside of January to finish earlier. We get paid for every minute that we are clocked in (if we remember to clock in). £120 a month given as tax free travel allowance. Regular educational trips. Supportive structure of local management and "watch" staff always at the end of the phone. A lot of admin done by other departments so that you are free to make sales. If you are good at your job then you can make a decent amount of commission to top up what is a VERY good salary for the industry. From starting to reaching Senior consultant you can add £10,000 to your salary within 2 years. Management and personnel are willing to accommodate personal circumstances such as relocation, reduced hours, change in shift pattern etc but there seems to be a negative atmosphere around the company to the contrary. ^ weeks holiday after 3 years in addition to bank holidays.

Cons

Having to speak to a stranger on the "watch" in another travel centre when you call in sick, to then have your own manager call you back. Many of the cons that people complain about on here and around the travel centres is actually things that they signed up for. Management can be inexperienced and untrained upon being promoted.

Advice to Management

Having a suitably sized HR department with the proper training for managers would solve many of the problems with staff moral.

3. "Could be a good company..but it's not."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Trailfinders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good training, travel perks, free lunch (after a while you will get sick of it)

Cons

Managers have no social skills or any emotional intelligence. They do not trust their employees which are treated as kids, controlled all the time and never recognised for their value, they are just numbers. The atmosphere is so negative.
    There is compulsory extra time (is it legal?) with 25 minutes lunch break and no other breaks provided.
    When someone decides to leave (and this happens often, of course), even if you have worked there for years, they do not care and do not even ask you why. This is another demonstration of how they are not concerned about their employees.

5. "Mostly good, depends which department you work in"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at Trailfinders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is basically an ex-backpacker or similar, so you spend your days with people who are nice to be around and easy to get along with. It's quite social. There are good travel opportunities - I stayed in some of the world's best hotels for free or free-ish, and clocked in a few business class flights along the way.

The product base is huge so you learn a lot about the world in ways you've never thought of, even if you're well travelled when you start. There's a lot of opportunity to take your performance into your own hands and you can do very well with the right attitude. Some of my managers and supervisors were very supportive, especially in Scotland, and I was given the opportunity to work in various offices in different departments. Mostly the day is spent talking to good people about things that excite them, it's a fun job that can be left at work at the end of the day.

The pay was good compared to other similar employers, and they give you free (if not a little hit and miss) lunch to eat at your peril.

Cons

There's a shift towards creating more specialised product teams and lots of call routing that diverts lucrative calls away from general worldwide consultants. This makes it harder for newer consultants to gain the product and high value sales experience needed to join a specialist team, and also wastes plenty of first-hand knowledge about the places most consultants went backpacking (South America, Central America & most of Asia).

The hours are long with not much time off, and there is pretty much no flexibility when it comes to accommodating people for holidays, last minute days off etc.

Mostly my experiences were good, but the managers are plentiful and are either excellent or terrible. I was on occasion called at home for an impromptu performance review which I felt was a complete invasion of my personal life. Some of the managers like to cruise around and bully their teams, second guessing everything you do and telling you it's wrong before it's even done, which I found conterproductive and difficult to work with.

Advice to Management

Good sellers don't always make good managers. Invest in your people from the bottom up and the Which? award will follow.

6. "Work hard, play hard."

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, great benefits, great salary, great training and lots of new innovative systems programmes are being rolled out. Team incentimes, summer parties, Christmas parties, uniform, free laundry facilities, free tea/coffee/lunch, staff travel opportunities and deals.

Cons

Work/life balance isnt always great due to long hours and some frustrating policies about taking holiday.

Advice to Management

From my experience so far, management are alright, but there's no official management training, which astounds me, and you can see it. There needs to be better policies in place for managers to deal with E&D and so on.

7. "Travel consultant"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Saint Albans, England
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Saint Albans, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bonuses can be very good

Cons

Long hours, very high pressure

Advice to Management

Longer breaks required

"COULD BE a brilliant company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Travel Consultant

Pros

Comradery with fellow staff members, good basic pay, discounted holidays, potential to move offices and departments, the customer truly does come first

Cons

"Big Brother" like environment, inflexibility, lack of work/life balance, the idea that "everyone is replaceable" widely felt, red tape

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to stop treating your staff like children. The constant monitoring all day, every day displays the lack of trust in the staff that you have hired. A bit of breathing room and some semblance of respect would go a long way to improving morale.

Times are changing rapidly and constantly and Trailfinders entire ethos is lagging behind. I have no doubt the way you structure and run the company will be it's demise.

You have the basic foundations in place to be a brilliant company to work for. Treat your staff better and you'll improve morale, loyalty and save some money with a lower turnover rate.

"A real shame"

Former Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in London, England

Pros

Work colleagues and excellent travel perks.

Cons

Appointment of yes men/women in Managament positions rather than people with the skills to inspire their teams or manage them fairly - the people in these positions are so scared that they will lose their jobs that they never question anything from Directors. No Personnel Deparment. Anyone with an inkling of personality is made to leave.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to turn your consultants into robots who spend their whole time worrying about not following the "wheel"
    If you carry on doing this you are going to lose all your experienced consultants.

"A mixed bag"

Former Employee - Worldwide Travel Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Worldwide Travel Consultant in London, England

I worked at Trailfinders full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary, travel perks, free lunch and travel insurance

Cons

Directors pick on managers, managers pick on supervisors and supervisors pick on shop floor. There is always the suspicion among the directors as to who will stab who in the back.

Advice to Management

Stop treating well educated and well travelled adults as misbehaving schoolchildren.

"Terrible managment"

I worked at Trailfinders (More than a year)

Pros

Heavily discounted holidays, if you don't mind going alone

Cons

Top down Tory boys club style managment, 24.59 min lunch

Advice to Management

Take on some ACTUAL managment theory like kurt bass or Lewin. Look into transformational leadership.