Trailfinders Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

2.4
Trailfinders Chairman Mike Gooley
Mike Gooley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free lunch , monthly contributions to a "travel fund" for your holidays (in 16 reviews)

• Good training, travel perks, free lunch (after a while you will get sick of it) (in 12 reviews)

"Go for it!"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Leeds, England

I worked at Trailfinders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The travel opportunities are brilliant - this job is perfect for those whose idea of a work/life balance is more to work hard for a stretch and then relax by exploring some of the most gorgeous destinations on earth. I found my colleagues to be bright, competent, wonderful to spend time with both in and out of work, and overall I've never worked anywhere else where I've been surrounded by so many like-minded people - an aspect of work whose value is easy to underestimate until you don't have it anymore. I believe this job requires just the right balance of sales and customer service ability, and whilst self confidence is essential I also found that being able to put aside ego to take the coaching and training on board was a huge part of my success there. The company has been around for nearly 50 years and seems to growing all the time, and based on my experience this really does come from getting it right for the client, not hard selling. The managers in my branch were incredibly supportive and I didn't experience any of the negatives some other reviewers have left. The incentives and summer/Christmas parties are always generously funded and it's worth the effort during busy season to try for a place the annual top sellers' trip. I would happily work there again if the opportunity arose.

Cons

The only major downside for me was the amount of time spent sat down. I think it depends which branch you're in, but certainly in the smaller ones you never really leave your desk and move around apart from lunch and toilet breaks. Having said that, when it's busy the day really does fly by and I suspect this is similar in most office environments these days. The only other (minor) downside potentially is that if you're looking to move up in the company and make it a career, at some point it's likely you'll have to move to London as the higher-up regional vacancies tend to crop up somewhat infrequently as managers seem pretty happy to stay put for the long term.

"First and Business Class Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Business Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Business Consultant

I worked at Trailfinders full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people I worked with in the majority. Obviously not including management. Staff benefits for travel were good.

Cons

Trailfinders have in my opinion the best travel agents in the business however what follows after training is a rigorous demonstration of destroying self belief and ambition unless of course you are one of the chosen few. If you are reading this thinking this is just some bitter employee, you would be right but I was very successful in the company and made over £4million in profit over a 10 year tenure. For that success I was treated with disdain openly ridiculed and treated as though if I didn't see my future at the company then I knew where the door was. I made the second highest profit for an individual in the companies 40+ year history and when I asked management about discussing the possibilities of a pay rise, was bluntly told in these exact words "everyone is replaceable". Opportunities for promotion are limited and when they do arise if you have not followed an impossible list of tasks 100% correctly every time you are not even considered. So many people have left trailfinders over recent years, and it is not the consultants with a bad attitude or other preferences for career, the big hitters the people who could have sat at TF and made a good living. But in the majority decided that being belittled and undermined on a daily basis was not worth any amount of money.
    I've now left and feel free from the ludicrously regimented approach to managing a workforce, treating well established consultants as idiots because they have not asked an open question or god forbid forgotten to desperately offer our over inflated insurance at the end of a booking!
    Trailfinders could be a lot better if it valued its staff as much as it says it does, profits endlessly rise while targets increase to a degree that means that the take home pay year on year of even the top sellers of which I counted myself, decreases as you make more and more money for this abyss of capitalism.

Advice to Management

Offer what your competitors are offering, a positive working environment, credit success and value hard work. Reward innovation and seek to nurture a culture of success. Don't just apply the treat them mean keep them keen philosophy, as I saw in the Guardian recently it doesn't seem to be helping continued profitability?

"Warning - better off in prison"

Current Employee - Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The cheaper holidays I suppose

Cons

Treated like school children. Can't even go to the loo without being questioned.
    Only 25mins for lunch!
    Everything is monitored, no trust in you as an intelligent adult.
    No phones allowed.
    Antiquated tech systems and computers. And antiquated attitude in general.
    Punished for being efficient but sociable.
    Not allowed to talk whilst working.
    Penalised for being even 5mins late even during train strike or snow.
    No sick pay.
    No flexibility or understanding of personal life.
    indredibly boring and no career progression.
    Just don't do it! This is not a drill.
    They will trap you and try to institutionalise you.

Advice to Management

Trust your staff more! Treat them as adults and get with the times

"Awful. Avoid at all costs"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in London, England
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant in London, England

I worked at Trailfinders (More than a year)

Pros

I suppose... the free lunch?

Cons

Everything else. Very odd company culture.

Advice to Management

Stop acting in a 'big brother is watching' way and start actually managing your employees.

6. "Dream job not so dreamy"

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time

Pros

Travel Opportunities, fun office, great people

Cons

Crazy hours, high pressure, stressful

7. "Avoid Trailfinders - glad I finally escaped"

Former Employee - Senior Travel Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Travel Consultant

I worked at Trailfinders full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Experience looks good on your CV - if its your first travel job you learn about a range of products and how to use a GDS system, so then you can move onto something better elsewhere.
    Staff are well travelled and generally good people to get on with.

Cons

Trailfinders posts fake reviews on Glassdoor - don't be fooled by them!
    Low morale
    Very poor management
    Staff benefits/travel perks not as good as in the past
    Experienced staff not valued - most I worked with have since left too
    No flexibility with hours
    Trying to take holiday time is a mission due to the rota system (ironic for a travel company!)

Advice to Management

Many managers are inexperienced, they don't seem to get much support or training from above. The better ones should leave and have their talents valued more elsewhere. And stop posting fake reviews on Glassdoor!!

"Travel consultant"

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Free lunch , monthly contributions to a "travel fund" for your holidays

Cons

Very inflexible and inhuman attitude to dealing with employees. Their philosophy can be best described as follows: Focus 100% on sales , push consultants remorselessly to achieve this with no consideration for the affect this may have , once the inevitable drop in performance occurs shift focus to demoralising and undermining consultant until they leave. Result is low morale and high turn over of staff , but at a profit to the company thus ensuring the continued adoption of said philosophy. Also promotion is based on ability to tow the company line meaning those in management have little or no inter personnel skills. Do not join with the expectation of a career,constructive in job training or the likely hood of any kind of self expression.

Advice to Management

Devise a more structured approach to career advancement instead of having semi independent fiefdoms.. Alter culture to value employees , this value would create a virtuous circle , one that could be adopted to replace the sales wheel and could be given pride of place in the boardroom

"Still good was once great"

Former Employee - Senior Travel Consultant in Cardiff, Wales
    Former Employee - Senior Travel Consultant in Cardiff, Wales

I worked at Trailfinders full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Work with great people
    -Opportunities to travel
    -Loyal clientele (especially walk-in) often a pleasure to deal with
    - Very good training and user-friendly systems
    - Selling a very clearly defined range of destinations and product

Cons

- A company in transition
    - Smaller regional offices being pushed into a call center mentality
    - Experienced leadership leaving to be replaced by the new breed
    - Customer service now secondary to profit, think diminishing the once very special client user experience
    - Very limited career development opportunities outside of London

Advice to Management

In my time I saw the company become alot less 'human' which I would suggest is bad news for clients as well as employees. Treat front-line consultants with more respect and allow their individuality to flourish, this isn't the army. Encourage consultants to take responsibility for clients and bookings, rather than the merry-go-round that clients can face during their booking experience, with perhaps 10 consultants involved in a complex booking?

"Rules & Micromanagement"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Liverpool, England
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Liverpool, England

I worked at Trailfinders full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some excellent travel perks/experiences.
    Many colleagues were like-minded people who were good to work with.
    The majority of clients are nice people who are easy to deal with

Cons

Soul destroying, top-down, inflexible, management style where the working culture is based on fear. Even branch managers with 15+ years service are petrified of the directors (who themselves don't appear to be that competent).
    The company's strength used to be the quality of staff and service levels but the majority of experienced, well travelled staff have either left or been sidelined into admin roles.
    A lot of time is spent analysing meaningless statistics, usually as part of a charade to justify 'managing' someone and give the general manager work to fill their day. The rest of their time is spent chasing people to answer calls or pressurising unprofitable employees to resign.
    The company operates a call centre style monitoring system requiring staff to push a button to take toilet breaks, lunch etc so they can measure every minute of your time. This system is quite clearly demoralising and counter productive but management are too scared to challenge it.
    The job could be enjoyable and rewarding (it used to be) but at Trailfinders it's isn't.

Advice to Management

Give general managers some management training - this might boost morale and reduce your staff turnover
    Try looking after and retaining your good staff, many businesses find this can be beneficial.
    Get rid of the sales wheel.
    Stop posting false reviews on Glassdoor. If you're aware your staff are unhappy from negative reviews on here wouldn't addressing these problems be more productive?

"Very professional travel company to be proud to work for."

Current Employee - Senior Travel Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Travel Consultant

I have been working at Trailfinders full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, fantastic teams of people.
    Excellent salary.
    Amazing travel opportunities.
    A company to be proud to work for.
    Highly autonomous for the most part.

Cons

Long hours and quite inflexible. Shift swaps can be done in advance but it can be quite difficult to get time off when you need it. I'd say about 70% of the time it's not a problem though.

Big brother - basically, if you're longer than 10 minutes wrapped up and not available for calls, a member of staff from a centralised team will ask you what you're up to. But to be frank, why shouldn't they? You can pre-empt this by telling them you have admin to do and require a 'time out'. It's there to keep staff efficient. I see lots of people moaning about this on here and whilst I get it... it's only common sense for a company to introduce something like this and it's really only a mild irritant.

Advice to Management

Develop an opportunity for minor league staff to have a greater influence on company decisions... maybe by means of a suggestion box on the intranet.