Find jobs for People Team

TransferWise People Team Reviews

Updated 18 Oct 2019

TransferWise CEO Kristo Käärman
Kristo Käärman
  1. "An exciting place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - People Operations in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's been a great experience so far to work in an environment so driven by its mission, with such talented people on that journey. As a result, there's a deeply rewarding culture here, underpinned by strong values that people really care about. It's definitely a challenging start here when there's so much to take in and learn, but there's plenty of support around you to enjoy the ride and really give your career a huge boost.

Cons

Nothing for me to report :)

2. "Great people, great product, great culture..."

Current Employee - People Team in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

You work with some seriously smart people here. I constantly feel driven and challenged to think differently all the time. We are scaling quickly, so really this is an environment for people that can handle a fast paced, but inclusive environment. I also have two kids, one of the biggest things for me is that no-one batters an eye at the time i come in late or leave early... Or that i work from home one day a week. Loads of great perks; 6 week paid sabbatical + your holiday for that year, annual all company paid trip, stock options, breakfast, friday lunches, 5% pension, yoga, gym and more.

Cons

Nothing... I love this company!

3. "Great place to work, fun culture"

Current Employee - People Team in Tampa, FL

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible work environment Loads of paid time off (5 weeks vacation, 2 weeks sick) Paid sabbatical (after 4 years of service) Paid Parental Leave (after one year of service) 401k Match NSO Stock options Freedom, ability to make an impact, drive change- Friendly environment Opportunities to participate or lead projects to move the business forward - sometimes even world-wide opportunities Diverse culture - speak 5+ foreign languages Working with people from different cultures Competitive benefits package Pet-friendly office Ability for some remote work (after 90 days) Weekly team lunches Monthly team activities / fun events

Cons

Work is very fast paced; and sometimes not for everyone Autonomous work can have it's pro's & con's; One has to be a self-motivated and driven individual to succeed. When considering internal promotions, many roles are based outside of the Americas. When considering salaries, base compensation is a factor, not overall compensation. Ensure we remain competitive in the markets.

Continue reading

"I love TransferWise! Exceptional culture and a mission that makes a difference!"

Current Employee - People Team in Tampa, FL

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

I'll start by saying that I love working at TransferWise! It's been about 5 months and I really enjoy my job, but I absolutely love the office and company culture, as well as the values which are actually lived, and not just marketing fluff. So my pros are: - Super friendly/welcoming atmosphere & in-office camaraderie from day 1 - Great mission that is actually helping everyday people. How many companies have a goal to make themselves obsolete for the benefit of their customers? - The benefits are exceptional for the US. I've never seen anyone else come close, benefits-wise here. INSANE amount of PTO (46 days, all in), insurance is low-cost & good coverage, 401k w/ match, sabbatical after 4 years, stock options, some company paid benefits too - Awesome regular team events & annual trip to Europe for Summer Days to keep everyone motivated & mission focused - Weekly catered team lunches + all kinds of breakfast food, fruit, & drinks/coffee free in the office for employees - The office is really cool (people say "mini-Google" all the time), dog-friendly, has a decent gym in the office, & flexible work opportunities (you are expected to be in the office 80% of the time though) - Autonomous team structure offers huge levels of autonomy, ownership, & responsibility, with no one looking over your shoulder, micromanaging you or endless red-tape/approvals to go through - Really transparent & feedback reliant culture that limits the drama & helps us move fast - Lots of opportunities to move up & around in the company & find what you really love, potentially within 6 months - year as we keep growing - Personally, I like that we don't have a dress code & everyone is encouraged to be themselves. Sometimes it's just a sweatpants & hoodie type of day - I'm always busy with my day-to-day responsibilities & additional side-projects, so I'm always stimulated & never bored - I love working for such a diverse, global company. My team of 19 people has 14 nationalities & it's amazing when we're all together, so much fun learning from everyone. Very LGBT friendly & even the age range, experience, & education background of everyone is really broad and interesting - All the travel opportunities. So far, I've been to the New York & London offices, as well as Portugal for planning, with Budapest & Estonia trips in the near future (crossing my fingers for Singapore one day!) - Lots of support. Almost every chat with someone from my team includes "what do you need help with?" or "How can we/I support you?" I've never loved any place I've ever worked until now, so I don't say it lightly. This is by far the best experience of my professional career & I can't wait to see what the future holds as we grow. I will add though, that while travel opportunities are available for all positions in Tampa, my role requires more frequent travel (3 trips in 5 months so far), but that's not representative of all Tampa positions. Also, I'm a single US member on a global team spread across offices in 5 countries, so the levels of autonomy, ownership, and responsibility that I experience are even greater than some of the other teams in Tampa where the entire team is in the building. I just feel like those are fair comments to give context.

Cons

I personally don't have any cons, but I'll share some fair comments and also some things that other people may consider cons. - You're not going to get rich at TransferWise. We pay median salaries which are fair, but not outstanding. We can't compete with Google or Facebook & we don't try to. We now advertise salaries for all roles in Tampa, so you know what you're getting into & that's on you - If you need someone to hold your hand & tell you what to do every minute of the day, or if you need someone to fix all your problems for you, you will hate working here. You are responsible for your own work, end of, and it's a demanding job, so if you're looking for a place to coast by & grab a paycheck, keep coasting - If you have thin skin & can't give or receive feedback, you won't like it here. None of it is malicious, but we're not beating around the bush here either. If you make a mistake, someone will tell you so you don't make it again, & you're expected to do the same if you notice the mistake. Same thing goes for the good stuff too though, because we're all about recognizing accomplishments & giving credit where it's due - If you're only interested in the benefits & cool culture, but you don't care about the mission, we won't hire you. We want people who want to help others & change the financial world for the better, forever. If you're not about that, you need not apply - While there are some opportunities, the relatively flat corporate structure doesn't allow for a ton of upward mobility, so if you're just looking to climb the ladder, again, probably not a great fit. Much greater potential to move horizontally for new challenges and sometimes better pay - Timezones can be challenging, since Tampa has a 2-hour overlap with Estonia & a 5-hour overlap with London. Sometimes you'll have to back yourself & make a decision (at least I do in my role) & some people aren't comfortable with that. Even if you are comfortable with it, it takes time to get used to - Simply put, the start-up experience isn't for everyone I hope this has been helpful :)

Continue reading
  5. "Love the Culture"

Current Employee - People Operations in Singapore

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

Things move very fast here, constant learning, being given chances and trust to involve/deliver in projects

Cons

Information overloaded at times, otherwise is good

"Great place for entrepreneurial people"

Current Employee - People Team in Tallinn

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- The mission. It's great to do something that has a bigger meaning. We are all here to change the world of finance. - The team. We are inspired by working in a united, caring and multicultural team. Wisers are massively talented and motivated, not to mention some of the friendliest and kindest people you will meet. - The freedom & trust. In TransferWise I have a lot of freedom in my work. My lead isn't telling me what I should work on, but he is there for me when I want to bounce ideas and supports me when I need it. Sometimes this freedom & responsibility is scary, but it helps me to grow. - Personal growth. During my TransferWise journey (more than three years) I have worked on so many different topics and learned a lot while doing it. As we grow so fast, we have all the time new challenges coming up, and I have crossed my comfort zone limits so many times. - Great vibe. The overall atmosphere is very relaxed and non-stressful but still professional. We also have super cool offices & healthy breakfast

Cons

- As our teams are autonomous, there can be problems with communications and it has happened that two teams are working on similar things - Having so much freedom and responsibility can be overwhelming. You need to pay a lot of attention to your well-being. - As there are some many interesting challenges, it's hard to stay focused

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 6 reviews