TransferWise Reviews

Updated 4 Aug 2020

4.5
TransferWise CEO Kristo Käärman
Kristo Käärman
Pros
  • "TransferWise provides staff with a very conducive work environment where team work excels(in 51 reviews)

• "Great people that you get to work with(in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • "Autonomous teams means that often you need to "lobby" with other teams to get things done(in 33 reviews)

• "Cross-team efforts are not so easy to coordinate as all teams are autonomous(in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"First time I've been truly happy in a job and woke up everyday happy to be going to work!"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

-You're treated like an adult & trusted to do your job without being micromanaged -Work/life balance is the best I've had and that's down to the flexibility -Your opinions and ideas matter and they're listened to -Encouraged to get involved in things that really interest you or speak up if you believe something can be done better -You're given the opportunities to grow and take on new challenges -No two days are ever the same, you're always faced with new challenges and things to get stuck into -Brilliant offices with everything you could need (and more!) -Possibility of travelling to our other offices -SummerDays yearly all-company event -Everyone is so friendly -None of that 'I'm-a-newbie' awkwardness, you become part of the team instantly

Cons

-The autonomous environment can be frustrating at times -With so many people in the business, it's impossible to know everybody (or even half!) -As we're growing so quickly things change quickly meaning something that's a priority today might not be tomorrow -If you don't like constant change or enjoy being kept on your toes, this is not the place for you!

2. "Awesome company"

Current Employee - Analyst in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employees are empowered to work independently and to be creative in their problem solving. There's no such thing as 'we've always done it like this'. Ideas get challenged continuously, meaning that innovation happens constantly. Credit is given where it is due, as well as helpful and constructive feedback where needed.

Cons

Due to the very autonomous / decentralized way of work, sometimes teams work on overlapping projects without knowing it. This is not necessarily negative, but it can be frustrating sometimes.

Continue reading

3. "Opportunities for the right people"

Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at TransferWise full-time

Pros

This is a really good workplace, plenty of opportunities and challenges to keep people interested and engaged.

Cons

Not suitable for anyone looking to coast, but also not suitable for anyone looking out for themselves and not their teammates or the mission.

Continue reading
  4. "Awesome Place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flat Structure, Making an actual change, Awesome Team

Cons

Can't think of any at the moment.

"Many opportunities, but chaotic. Tension between Tallinn and London."

Former Employee - Head of Office

I worked at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities, fast paced, flat structure

Cons

Chaotic, some elements of toxic culture

6. "Great culture!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

I absolutely love it here. People are generally helpful, the culture is great, there's a lot of transparency and trust and opportunities to grow even beyond your area of core competence. 💯 Would recommend!

Cons

Not a major one, but I think pay could be better. But then transparency and consistency with pay ranges has it pros. Unlike where I worked before, you'd rarely find people talking about being unfairly paid compared to some other person on the same level. That removes a lot of bad blood

7. COVID-19

"It's been great! ⭐️"

Current Employee - Copywriter in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

• My manager looks after me. She always asks about my projects and checks in to see how I'm doing mentally, too. The best manager I've had at work. • My team are great. They've made me feel welcome and have taught me a lot about how things work here. • The head of copy is excellent — I feel lucky to be part of the team. I've not felt this way at work before. • Learning stuff. Every day is a new experience, learning something new. Listening to other teams or chatting with product managers and data analysts or customer service agents — everybody's willing to chat, to share.

Cons

• I've only been here 6 months, so no cons right now. I think it's been a strange time to start a job — the coronavirus! — but my manager has done everything she can to make it better.

"Once in a lifetime opportunity"

Current Employee - Head of Team in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

TransferWise lives up to the hype. It's a unique chance to learn and make an impact in a business which is genuinely setting new standards in financial services. A few things that stand out for me: - The people are smart, decent, and there's a sense that doing the right thing is important in all aspects of the business. When People issues do crop up, they're taken seriously - Everyone is obsessed with the TransferWise mission from product through to CS. This helps unite the global team, and means the biz is focused on building good quality payments rails 'under the bonnet' of the product. Downside is the buzzy front end features other fintechs churn out take longer at TransferWise, because the team is more focused on incremental changes to making transfers faster, cheaper etc. Long term I think this investment is worth it - Most teams have clear structures for career development. Progression is based on merit, and in my experience hard work is rewarded - In most cases there is room to try new things and fail, as long as you demonstrate learnings - Everyone in the business is awarded share options, even at entry level - The founders and senior leadership team are hard working and committed to the mission 9 years on from the company being founded - It's a fun place to be! Annual company holiday, travel for most roles, typical beer and pizza style start-up parties. Lots of people relocate from overseas for TransferWise and make close friendships in the company

Cons

- It's not for everyone. The autonomous teams model requires you to be entrepreneurial to get things done. If you're not a self-starter you will find it hard to navigate the blockers inherent in the company's structure - There's a strong feedback culture which can get pretty noisy and be disheartening. It's a blessing and a curse, the right level of feedback leads to positive outcomes, other times it's overwhelming, unproductive and paralyses the people with the most expertise from doing their jobs - The company has some work to do on Diversity & Inclusion at leadership level. It's making up for this now but it could have been looked at sooner

9. "Good enviroment"

4.0
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time

Pros

Good culture and human centric teams

Cons

Lack of ambition from time to time

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Compliance in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Lots of passionate and intelligent people - Diverse and inclusive environment (and actively trying to be better)

Cons

- Flat structure can mean communication is at times hindered

Found 457 reviews