TransferWise Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

1. Featured Review

"Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Global Events Project Manager in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Colleagues are absolutely wonderful. There are so many smart and creative people together. I am inspired by them and what they do every day. If you are open to learning there are so many things to learn. You just need to see where you can help and do it. I enjoy choosing my own new challenges and working in an open and honest environment. I love it that even though I have been here for 5 years the company still... feels like a startup to work in. We are just a bit better structured in many ways. The feeling is still there.

Cons

While I enjoy autonomous teams and working this way, it is not for everyone. I would suggest thinking about this when applying for a job and trying to find out if this environment is one where you can thrive. There is a lot of information to learn and it may not be as straightforward as a new joiner may expect. We are definitely getting better at it and have made massive steps forward.

TransferWise2019-03-18
  2. "I'm happy to come into work every day"

Current Employee - Marketing in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Challenging environment, you'll be pushed to learn and grow - Amazing colleagues, made such good friends at work - Opportunities to grow beyond your role - Perks are really good, the company looks after its employees -

Cons

- Salary could be better. If it was, this would be a perfect place to work - Sometimes people struggle at work mentally because of the speed of growth and autonomy expected of them

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing to look after your employees. Would advise having more rigorous lead training as making someone a lead who's never managed before can be a recipe for disaster if they're not trained properly

"Best culture EVER"

Current Employee - IOS Engineer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Amazing culture, feels like a startup with all the benefits of a 1500+ company - No hierarchy and bureaucracy - Small autonomous team - Big impact as a dev, your voice is always heard - Encourages everyone to drive things forward and solve problems instead of implementing blue-prints - CEO is a true leader

Cons

I cannot name any, this is the best job I've ever had

TransferWise2019-09-25
  4. "Great benefits and autonomous Teams"

Current Employee - Full Stack Software Developer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

Visionary and inspirational CEO. Lots of flexibility and trust. Great community and awesome perks. Surrounded by smart and talented people.

Cons

Salary is below market rate but the benefits and stock options make it a good option Autonomous teams can leave me feeling like there's a lack of structure and support

Advice to Management

OKRs

TransferWise2019-09-25
  5. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Comprehensive onboarding - Flexible work environment - Freedom to do what you can do best - Overall team is full of humble people who believe in the company's mission

Cons

- Some fluctuation as its normal in start-ups

TransferWise2019-09-25

"Incredible learning opportunity for graduates"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coming to TransferWise has been my first job after graduating from university. It's given me so many opportunities I wouldn't even have dreamed of when thinking of what working life will be like. Some of my personal highlights are: - Responsibility & ownership- even as a junior I'm trusted to take on lots of responsibility in my projects and I'm encouraged to always voice my opinions and tell my views. -... Travel opportunity - it often feels crazy to be able to travel to our offices around the world. - The people - it probably seems cliche but it's really the people that make TransferWise - I'm learning not only from my team mates, but also from people from different teams all the time. Everyone's always happy to help out and you can have chats with anyone, there's no corporate hierarchy. - Flexibility - being an international, one of the biggest things for me is the ability to travel to my home country and work from there for a week once in a while not having to use my holiday days for it. Lots of people also WFH once a week. - Mission-driven - When I was applying for a job I wasn't particularly looking for a mission-driven company. However seeing everyone here living and breathing our mission feels empowering and like you have a greater purpose to work for.

Cons

- Information overload - when you first join the information overload is huge, there's so much you can learn about the product that you really need to learn to prioritise and see what's relevant for you through the noise - Autonomy can be overwhelming - there's no handholding, you need to figure out how you can have the most impact and keep lazer-focused on that. It can be tricky as there's so many things you could... be working on, to really understand how you can bring most value to the company.

TransferWise2019-09-18

"Definitely not a startup, good product , average engineering - suitable for less senior people"

Current Employee - Senior Product Engineer in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Good location and offices - Relaxed environment (sometimes too relaxed) - Breakfast and other in office perks + weekly lunch. - Not so much pressure or reasonable pressure. (this leads though to a big percent of people to actually slack) - Strong product, the basic idea (the founding idea) is still driving the company that's why is a one of the dominant players on the sector of money transfer. - The company... is making money, despite the previous rounds of funding is showing profits and this is making its strategic position even stronger.

Cons

- Not a startup, it feels like a mini bank in terms of prospects of work for any engineer. - The idea of autonomous teams is close to a joke, practically very few people internally believe in this, actually now is a problem. The amount spent to coordinate or create something is increasing - so the company feels like a slow moving traditional fin org. - No strong management for the engineering teams - the flat... structure of Leads and Engineers is not working any more. - Territorial teams (not all of them but most of them), many of the early engineers of the company which in market standards would really find it difficult to find a job on the market - create a very defensive culture. - A large percent of the engineers are being credited titles that do not correspond to their actual skills. Senior engineers with real experience of what it could be best as Mid. - Extremely political, need to watch and avoid conflict with older and more senior engineers / leads. The engineering know how sometimes is based on hear say or people posting on slack random articles to prove their point (sign of inexperience) - Due to this chaotic sometimes way of working it is very common that some of the teams actually work more than others, but they are not been credited for it, again there is no good management.

Advice to Management

- strong engineering leadership (top to bottom) is needed - stop pretending and work with the startup mentality - its a 1500+ strong org now

TransferWise2019-09-19

"Not everything is rosy as the reviews sound."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Work with some of the smartest people in the industry - Autonomy at work - Conventions are challenged on a daily basis - Flexible working - Good benefits

Cons

- False sense of transparency - Tallinn workforce think they are superior and gods gift to mother earth and rest are useless bunch. - Seniors resort to bullying to cover up their insecurities and lack of proper experience. - Company makes money work for senior management. They don't make it work for junior staff. - If you're not with the "in" crowd, forget about it. - Trying a bit too hard on creating an image... rather than focusing on general efficiency - Lowest salaries in the Industry and you wont get a pay rise unless your superiors "like" you. -

Advice to Management

Stay humble and focus more on cultivating a good culture where people respect each other.

TransferWise2019-10-10

TransferWise Response

October 14, 2019Chief People Officer

Hi, thanks for taking the time to share your current experience at TransferWise, I’m sorry to hear some of the concerns you are sharing, it sounds like you’ve been facing some real challenges. We want all our employees to feel safe to make their concerns heard, we can’t get better as a company unless we’re clear on where our issues are. If you’re up for talking and trying to see if there’s any way to make things better, we’d love if you reached out to me, your lead (if you haven’t already), your lead of lead, or Mallory who works in the Engineering Experience team (Who said she’d love to listen). We hope you follow up. Thanks, Ross

"Pay structure is the worst"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent company with sharp brains.

Cons

Pay is the worst in London. So many people leave the company because of it and company ignores that fact very conveniently. No pay increases which is a nightmare and no wonder people leave.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate your pay structure in London. Don't think from Tallinn point of view always. Take real feed back from employees rather than fake ones.

TransferWise2019-10-10

"So much potential lost through mismanagement"

Former Employee - IOS Developer in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get loads of autonomy and influence over product and design. You won't be a code monkey.

Cons

This can be very very inconsistent depending on the team. In my experience I encountered clueless managers trying to further their own careers over the betterment of the team. There are quite a few living embodiments of the Dunning-Kruger effect! The environment started feeling a lot more corporate. The classic issues of 'waterfall masquerading as agile' have started to crop up. The number of meetings kept... going up and don't expect to get any concentrated time to do work as Slack will ensure you're constantly distracted! The company is also in a bit of an identity crisis about what the product actually is. Ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different answers. None of them incorrect but not entirely correct either. The culture and values on paper look great but I'm finding it harder and harder to see those values in a practical way. It doesn't matter what you write on the wall but what you reward and who you promote. In my experience there was a massive incongruity between the written values and practical values. There is a certain kind of person that can succeed at TransferWise. The traits likely to do well are over confident, loud, loves to talk and can make themselves heard in a loud meeting. It's rather sad because here's a company that has literally everything going for it. It's solving a real problem with a product that seems to work (so far) and is profitable. The management seem to be caught like a rabbit in the headlights though and that could cripple the company's long term prospects.

Advice to Management

Start making some decisions! Autonomous teams are just a cop out from having to call some shots and ruffling a few feathers. People management is non existent. Spending some time on that would massively improve efficiency.

TransferWise2019-08-30