TransferWise Reviews

Kristo Käärman
  1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Compliance in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Lots of passionate and intelligent people - Diverse and inclusive environment (and actively trying to be better)

Cons

- Flat structure can mean communication is at times hindered

TransferWise2020-05-21
  2. "A Culture of Transparency"

Current Employee - Platform Engineer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

Mutual respect and a culture of transparecy. Dogs in the office. Sauna.

Cons

I can't think of any.

TransferWise2020-05-07
  3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - IOS Developer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's been a great and supportive place to work, full of smart people all working towards the same goals.

Cons

The freedom can be overwhelming when joining, but making sure you ask plenty of questions, and build connections helps a lot

TransferWise2020-05-05
  4. "Best place I've ever worked"

Current Employee - Copywriter in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Absolutely love it here. You're trusted to get on with things, and also to manage your own time. If you need to work flexibly or need a day off, you can take it. You're treated like a human, and there's support if you ask for it. The work is varied and the people are intelligent, and really chill. Not many egos. I'm obsessed (not in a weird way) with my team — they're a good bunch. I know not all teams are as great, but they're 2,000+ people you can chose to work with too.

Cons

They have some exceptional people that they are at risk of losing if they don't get the right team lead. They should focus on retention and growing team leads. And not tip toe around "market salaries". Also most roles going live are senior — they could be losing out on potential.

TransferWise2020-05-05
  5. "5 out of 5 if you're looking to join a fintech company"

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Given that most people visiting here would be considering job opportunities, or even job offers from TransferWise, let me just make it clear: this is a company that you won't regret joining, if you're confident, independent-thinking, self-motivated and driven by doing the right things while learning from others, then this is the place. It's not without shortcomings, far from it, but compared to most companies, it is a unique place wherever you're in your career. But make sure you're prepared for a tough but fun ride with a lot of people that you'd like to work together, that is if you're acclimated to the culture. There are so many pros but for a software developer (engineer), let me just tell you some facts and you can be your own judge: - It is very product engineering driven; we're talking about many engineers not only knowing their trade well (good programmers) but also caring and having deep knowledge about the products. It is also reflected in the interview process where there is a round of interview with a product manager for all the engineering candidates. - The culture feels the same when it is >400 engineers now, as when it was <100 engineers 2 years ago. Some companies would have simply met their final destination before hitting that number, and others would have different cultures that are so far from the original. Not at TransferWise. - There are so many friendly and collaborative fellow engineers, who would not hesitate to help if asked. Obviously not everybody is like that but the majority are very much so. The reason? Most of us share the same understanding of why we work at TransferWise and how we can achieve our mission, and being a humble contributor seems to be just the cure. - In terms of tech leads, IMHO it is a highly selective group of people and the bar has been held high so far. I'll say a bit more on the cons side below but the pros side is that this makes sure we have the consistency which is key to preserve and evolve the culture. Most if not all the leads are solid developers, and more or less experienced in people management too. - Oh, did I mention that Kristo, the CEO, was/is a programmer? That's not just some stories PR would like to tell you - I've reviewed his code and he cares about engineering. Nowadays he doesn't voice his opinions on engineering any more, perhaps conscious of the weight his opinions may carry; but you can rarely find another unicorn CEO having the same profile. Compensation-wise, everybody owns part of the company no matter how small (or big for some people) it is.

Cons

Let me say this first: every company has room to improvement, TransferWise no exception. I've always been keeping a critical eye on things because I care about the company. The scale and field TransferWise is operating on is very different from another company, so the problem we're facing sometimes exposes our shortcomings. In engineering, - Tech leads are very overloaded. From the start, the requirement is that they have to be good at both engineering and people management (as we don't have engineering manager setup like some other tech companies), as well as understand how TransferWise works. Any one of those would be a big ask, let alone three. I personally would start introducing engineering manager (people manager) in the structure. Recent career map on new IC levels also paves way for some leads who may not want to pursue a people management career to stay on the technical track. - Speaking of career, it's hard to see us offering a lot. When we were small, it's all about having the impact, not your title/level; Now we're relatively big, still with the very flat structure in engineering, there isn't much for a promising engineer to go up to, other than being a tech lead, which as I mentioned above, is pretty overloaded/overworked. Hopefully the new levels would help a bit but we may need to change something more drastically to improve that. - Diversity: not that we don't care (at least I care deeply), it's tricky to make start on this when you have an all-male and sometimes all-white interview line-up. There are some good initiatives but we can definitely do more at intern/graduate/experience levels. - Communication: it has improved greatly over time but still room for more. It's difficult given our global presence but I'm confident we'll do better. - Compensation: no bonus or performance related pay is fine when the company is small, as stock options is doing the job; as we grow, stock options may become less relevant and to attract talents who may have a preference on cash over options, this is something we should consider.

TransferWise2020-04-28
  6. "Good company, great values"

Current Employee - Growth Analyst in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

- A value and mission driven business. Transferwise strives to live up to its ideals. - Great company culture, coworkers are friendly and supportive. - Smart and driven colleagues . - You are given the opportunities to make an impact.

Cons

- The open space can get noisy at times

TransferWise2020-03-05
  7. "Great"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Product is brilliant, innovative, actually help people. Very costumer-driven. Culture is great! Good career opportunity. Relaxed and cool workplace! WFH & work/life balance + other benefits

Cons

Working with Autonomous Team is the best and worst thing about TW.

TransferWise2020-02-17
  8. "Great"

Current Employee - Creative Producer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

- It's BigSmall: It's a big global company with the mindset of a small start-up. Amazing offices, a great name on your CV and the clout to make real change in the world, but with a totally grounded culture and that start-up spirit of always innovating and improving! - Autonomy: TransferWise has a really unique approach to autonomy; unlike anything I've experienced before. Rather than telling you what you should be doing, you're encouraged to try and work out yourself how you can best make an impact. This may sound wishy-washy, but the benefits really become apparent over time. You're encouraged to keep questioning, innovating and trying new things. It really allows you to grow as an individual and gives you whatever opportunities you're willing to take.

Cons

- Too decentralised?: The autonomous nature of the country can sometimes feel like a double-edged sword; which can mean it takes a long time to get things done or make big decisions. Making change at TransferWise is less about your status, and more about your ability to get democratic support behind your ideas. This can be inefficient, but it also has upsides and is a great life skill to build.

TransferWise2020-02-13

"Awesome place to work for people that like dynamic environment"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Good work-life balance - Fast-growing company - Stock options for all employees - High level of transparent - Reasonably flat organization - Owners and leadership are accessible - It's truly mission driven - In general, people are quite nice - Teams are highly autonomous (which I really like, but it can also be a con depending on what you're looking for)

Cons

- TransferWise really cares about its mission and that's quite nice, but sometimes I wish that we could have more missions other than only "Money without borders". For example, we are not very into closing economic gap, or reducing gender inequality. - In general, people here are quite nice and when someone is clearly rude the person receives feedback and can get eventually fired. However, there are some grey areas, especially when the person is rude but at the same time the person is a high performer. If it was up to me, I would not allow this "rude but high performer" people in TransferWise.

TransferWise2020-02-13
  10. "Amazing work enrionment"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

- International people - the kitchen is great and fully stocked - Autonomous working - Work life balance - The office is great - There are great events in place

Cons

- Theres no gym at the london office :(

TransferWise2020-02-12