TransferWise Reviews

Updated 24 Sep 2020

4.4
TransferWise CEO Kristo Käärman
Kristo Käärman

"Smart people, Average Tech, Horrible Culture"

1.0
    Former Employee - Full Stack Engineer in London, England

I worked at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

* you get to work with some really smart people [Tech] * People are really passionate about company values and what they are trying to achieve [business].

Cons

* Tech is average. They have a monolith in groovy [although most of it is moved to Java]. nobody wants to touch it.. when they do .. everything breaks! * Both teams and engineers are supposed to be super autonomous and they take it to a whole new level! Most of the time you get answers like "Just Google! Don't disturb us.. be autonomous" * Not very collaborative teams, people work in silos.. collaboration = status updates. they insist you slack/msg your teammates even if you sitting next to them. * Feedback culture is quiet good. its constant but the only problem is you will never be asked "How can i help?". * Not everybody can fit into TransferWise culture, it is perfect for people who like to come to office at 9, don't like getting disturbed.. finish work at 6 and head back home.

TransferWise Response

Marketing Manager

Hello, thank you for sharing your honest thoughts with us. We're truly sorry to hear about your experience. And especially to hear that you were in a team that seemed to work so individually. As you know we work within autonomous teams, with each team getting to pick how they operate and what problems to solve, and this can have its downsides. There are many teams in TransferWise that work as a team rather than a cluster of individuals, and it's sad to hear you left without that experience. I do hope you were able to pass on your feedback before you left. Thanks in part to feedback like yours, you might be happy to know there's a quite new team now dedicated to help move the last of the groovy monolith to microservices. If you're up for sharing more, Mallory from our Engineering Experience team would love to hear more about your experiences. Please drop us an email to employerbrand@transferwise.com and I can connect you. Best wishes, Jihan

2. "I'm happy to come into work every day"

Current Employee - Marketing in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Challenging environment, you'll be pushed to learn and grow - Amazing colleagues, made such good friends at work - Opportunities to grow beyond your role - Perks are really good, the company looks after its employees -

Cons

- Salary could be better. If it was, this would be a perfect place to work - Sometimes people struggle at work mentally because of the speed of growth and autonomy expected of them

Continue reading

"Incredible learning opportunity for graduates"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Coming to TransferWise has been my first job after graduating from university. It's given me so many opportunities I wouldn't even have dreamed of when thinking of what working life will be like. Some of my personal highlights are: - Responsibility & ownership- even as a junior I'm trusted to take on lots of responsibility in my projects and I'm encouraged to always voice my opinions and tell my views. - Travel opportunity - it often feels crazy to be able to travel to our offices around the world. - The people - it probably seems cliche but it's really the people that make TransferWise - I'm learning not only from my team mates, but also from people from different teams all the time. Everyone's always happy to help out and you can have chats with anyone, there's no corporate hierarchy. - Flexibility - being an international, one of the biggest things for me is the ability to travel to my home country and work from there for a week once in a while not having to use my holiday days for it. Lots of people also WFH once a week. - Mission-driven - When I was applying for a job I wasn't particularly looking for a mission-driven company. However seeing everyone here living and breathing our mission feels empowering and like you have a greater purpose to work for.

Cons

- Information overload - when you first join the information overload is huge, there's so much you can learn about the product that you really need to learn to prioritise and see what's relevant for you through the noise - Autonomy can be overwhelming - there's no handholding, you need to figure out how you can have the most impact and keep lazer-focused on that. It can be tricky as there's so many things you could be working on, to really understand how you can bring most value to the company.

"So much potential lost through mismanagement"

2.0
    Former Employee - IOS Developer in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get loads of autonomy and influence over product and design. You won't be a code monkey.

Cons

This can be very very inconsistent depending on the team. In my experience I encountered clueless managers trying to further their own careers over the betterment of the team. There are quite a few living embodiments of the Dunning-Kruger effect! The environment started feeling a lot more corporate. The classic issues of 'waterfall masquerading as agile' have started to crop up. The number of meetings kept going up and don't expect to get any concentrated time to do work as Slack will ensure you're constantly distracted! The company is also in a bit of an identity crisis about what the product actually is. Ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different answers. None of them incorrect but not entirely correct either. The culture and values on paper look great but I'm finding it harder and harder to see those values in a practical way. It doesn't matter what you write on the wall but what you reward and who you promote. In my experience there was a massive incongruity between the written values and practical values. There is a certain kind of person that can succeed at TransferWise. The traits likely to do well are over confident, loud, loves to talk and can make themselves heard in a loud meeting. It's rather sad because here's a company that has literally everything going for it. It's solving a real problem with a product that seems to work (so far) and is profitable. The management seem to be caught like a rabbit in the headlights though and that could cripple the company's long term prospects.

5. "Creative Place"

Current Employee - Head of Biz Dev in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Entrepreneurial, Innovative, I am not sure what else to say

Cons

Disorganised, No clear leadership, I am not sure what else to say

Continue reading
  6. "An exciting place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - People Operations in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's been a great experience so far to work in an environment so driven by its mission, with such talented people on that journey. As a result, there's a deeply rewarding culture here, underpinned by strong values that people really care about. It's definitely a challenging start here when there's so much to take in and learn, but there's plenty of support around you to enjoy the ride and really give your career a huge boost.

Cons

Nothing for me to report :)

7. "Great people, great product, great culture..."

Current Employee - People Team in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

You work with some seriously smart people here. I constantly feel driven and challenged to think differently all the time. We are scaling quickly, so really this is an environment for people that can handle a fast paced, but inclusive environment. I also have two kids, one of the biggest things for me is that no-one batters an eye at the time i come in late or leave early... Or that i work from home one day a week. Loads of great perks; 6 week paid sabbatical + your holiday for that year, annual all company paid trip, stock options, breakfast, friday lunches, 5% pension, yoga, gym and more.

Cons

Nothing... I love this company!

"Great people, needs structure"

4.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous in London, England

I worked at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

- People really care about customers and the product - Very diverse range of people - Really positive work environment - Very flat structure and good support

Cons

- Little financial expertise - Quite an immature work environment - Different teams working on competing goals/tasks

9. "Great environment, benefits and responsibility"

Current Employee - Recruiter in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Amazing people * Great working environment and lots of flexibility * Perks and Friday lunch are great * Everyone genuinely cares about your ideas and thoughts * Love the autonomous team culture * Travel opportunities * Variety of products to disrupt different markets * Opportunities to grow and develop

Cons

Cannot think of any - Keep the great work! :)

10. "Rewarding place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Design in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

Employees really care about the work they do and the impact they have. Supportive teams looking to build you up in your career, share their expertise with you, and help you get better. Fun, social office.

Cons

Can be a chaotic environment with so many teams working on so many different things. It's hard to keep up with who's doing what.

Found 484 reviews