TransferWise Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 17 Feb 2020

4.5
TransferWise CEO Kristo Käärman
Kristo Käärman

"Don't buy into the hype"

No Opinion of CEO

I worked at TransferWise full-time

Pros

Lots of work related travel. There are a couple of really great people there.

Cons

Very cold employer with little to no attempt at wellbeing. Typical startup thinking; that a fancy office and a ping-pong table is all employee's need. Many people in leadership positions for being last person standing, rather than being a great leader. Very little individuality, it's company at all costs. Saw many people burn out and it was deemed as their fault for not fitting in with the company. Boys club. Overall, a very disappointing place to work. Lots of hype on glassdoor.

TransferWise2018-01-12

"Challenging and Rewarding"

Current Employee - Analyst in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Autonomy. It's key to everything that happens at TransferWise. You define your role and how you are going to have an impact, without anybody telling you what to do. If you want to solve challenging problems and stretch yourself, it's a great environment. The office and people are great and it's a pleasure to be at work.

Cons

Autonomy isn't for everyone. If you prefer lots of structure, it might not be the place for you.

TransferWise2017-09-20

"Challenging, rewarding, exciting, open and creative in equal measure."

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

TransferWise lives and dies by it's mission to save people from unfair financial practice by their banks, particularly as it relates to transferring money abroad. The mission is such a key underlying consideration into every decision that gets made from top to bottom. I'm typically a skeptical person in this area, but have been so impressed with how this mission and our values drive us forward. There's a tremendous amount of opportunity to explore things that you're interested in. Teams operate somewhat autonomously from the rest of the company, and decide on the initiatives that are most likely to move their KPIs forward. This means you can decide your own plans, act and deliver on things that you're passionate about. TransferWise operates out of offices in nine different countries, and genuinely encourage employees to travel when it makes sense for your role. You'll have a great chance to see the world with TransferWise, and play an important role on shaping it through the work you do.

Cons

The idea of autonomous teams is struggling to scale as we do. What was a great idea when we were smaller, is causing information and knowledge silos that are starting to bottleneck our ability to grow quickly. Teams are struggling to work cohesively with other teams when their priorities and objectives don't necessarily match up.

TransferWise2017-09-21

"Building a product people love with smart fun people"

Current Employee - Product Designer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time

Pros

- You're helping to build a truly useful and loved product - You have complete autonomy and freedom to decide the most impactful thing you want to work on, very entrepreneurial. - The company is fast growing, giving you lots of opportunities to grow. - The people here are incredibly smart, fun and hardworking. Spending your day with good people is a huge plus! - The culture and mission is not corporate bull, and it is actually used to drive the people to make the right decisions for our customers - Lots of great perks and a fun office space

Cons

- The size the company is getting to and the fact each team is autonomous can make it difficult to know what everyone is doing - There is little hand-holding so figuring out where you fit and how best to make an impact at the beginning can be tough - Clear career progression how you would see in an older company is not there

TransferWise2017-09-21

"A pretty great, unique place to work. In the future more companies"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've worked at TransferWise for over two years. It's the best place i've worked and I see myself here for the foreseeable future. Work is complex and rewarding. Autonomy is high. Employees are trusted with great responsibility and to figure it out. Some people struggle with this but I find it enjoyable. Bar for hiring is high, people are smart and everyone cares about the mission. Decent benefits scheme/ pension now in place.

Cons

Can be chaotic / lack structure Hard work at times Pay is ok, but no where near your Facebook/Google/Ubers Sometimes there can be a lack of experience/leadership in senior management. Not always clear path or steps to career progression.

TransferWise2017-09-20

"Great place to challenge yourself"

Current Employee - Head of Business in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

TransferWise is unique in the way that it empowers its people to take ownership and get things done, without a single committee or taking decisions for approval. This allows lots of very smart people to work in parallel at a very fast pace, without getting in each others way, providing an incredibly opportunity to learn from your peers who are fighting to ship great products for customers, rather than each other for a promotion.

Cons

Without top down direction some people find the ambiguity challenging and you need to be able to define your own role, what impact you want to have, and how you will achieve it, without reference to a corporate strategy or a managers direction.

TransferWise2017-08-10

"Best job I've had"

Current Employee - Video Producer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

When I was offered this job they didn't actually tell me about all the perks you get when working here. From free breakfast, movie nights, team lunches, health and wellbeing sessions, Vitality membership etc, to all the travelling and funny company events. But on top of that is the mission: knowing that you are part of a revolution, fighting banks for a fairer and more transparent way of dealing with international money transfer. The level of advocacy from our customers turns out to be extremely rewarding.

Cons

It's a relatively young company and some of the teams and workflows are still being shaped. Sometimes chain of command is a bit redundant as well.

TransferWise2017-03-24
  8. "Digital Marketing"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team, steep learning curve, high responsibility

Cons

Constant change (might not be your thing)

TransferWise2016-09-21

"A great company to work for knowing you are building something that people love"

Former Employee - Product Manager in London, England

I worked at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a mission driven company, and you can hear that listening to the founders words on a daily basis. Great working environment, flat hierarchy, talented colleagues, travel opportunities. It's also a great name to have on your CV.

Cons

You need to know what you're doing from day one, receiving little guidance in the process. The flat hierarchy and autonomous team can result in a lack of clarity and vision.

TransferWise2016-08-12
  10. "A mission driven organisation"

I have been working at TransferWise full-time

Pros

Working on a real consumer problem with a bunch of smart and motivated people. There is a flat organisational structure where people are empowered to figure things out for themselves rather than being told what to do. Flexible hours and a relaxed environment allow you to be yourself.

Cons

Some teams work across offices which can be challenging for collaboration. Salaries are higher at other companies.

TransferWise2016-05-27

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 375 reviews