TransferWise "autonomous teams" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

TransferWise Employee Reviews about "autonomous teams"

Found 221 reviews

4.7
TransferWise CEO Kristo Käärman
Kristo Käärman
Cons

Reviews about "autonomous teams"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Global Events Project Manager in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

Colleagues are absolutely wonderful. There are so many smart and creative people together. I am inspired by them and what they do every day. If you are open to learning there are so many things to learn. You just need to see where you can help and do it. I enjoy choosing my own new challenges and working in an open and honest environment. I love it that even though I have been here for 5 years the company still feels...

Cons

While I enjoy autonomous teams and working this way, it is not for everyone. I would suggest thinking about this when applying for a job and trying to find out if this environment is one where you can thrive. There is a lot of information to learn and it may not be as straightforward as a new joiner may expect. We are definitely getting better at it and have made massive steps...

TransferWise2019-03-18

"Great company with great culture"

Current Employee - Product Manager in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

* Amazing working environment. TransferWise has by far the best corporate culture you'll ever find. * Great mission and great attention to customer. * Just such a great working environment. Super nice people everywhere * Business is going great and sky rocketing

Cons

* Company going through some growing pains * Autonomous teams do more harm than good * TONS of engineering dept. Actually makes the company very, very slow at moving. Lots of outages all the time.

Advice to Management

Fix your engineering team.

TransferWise2018-09-21

"Excellent product and culture, needs to work salaries and guidance"

I have been working at TransferWise full-time

Pros

Excellent product, solving a real problem. Tight focus on delivering positive customer impact, with autonomous teams able to work out what their goals and projects will be. The work/life balance is good, with flexibility to work how you need to.

Cons

Autonomous teams have led to a fragmented product experience as new offerings have been added. Management feel uncomfortable about stepping in to forcibly course-correct teams, worrying it will affect the perception of the culture. Salaries and benefits are 20% lower than market (especially for engineers).

Advice to Management

Salaries need to be aligned to actual market conditions. Stock options are far less, as the potential multiplier on value over next 4-5 years is far less than it was even two or three years ago.

TransferWise2018-04-23

"Marketing Manager"

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

- Exciting mission, hard to get from the outside but there are people really committed to make money transfer across countries as easy as possible, instantly and eventually free - Work with talented people to solve hard problems. It's fairly hard to keep up with certain levels of growth but if you are up for challenges it's the right place. - Progression is not about job titles but impact you have on customers.

Cons

- Autonomous teams can be messy but very good fun if is what you looking for. It's not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparent culture and feedback without any filters to solve blocker faster as the company scales.

TransferWise2018-02-21

"Challenging, rewarding, exciting, open and creative in equal measure."

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

TransferWise lives and dies by it's mission to save people from unfair financial practice by their banks, particularly as it relates to transferring money abroad. The mission is such a key underlying consideration into every decision that gets made from top to bottom. I'm typically a skeptical person in this area, but have been so impressed with how this mission and our values drive us forward. There's a tremendous...

Cons

The idea of autonomous teams is struggling to scale as we do. What was a great idea when we were smaller, is causing information and knowledge silos that are starting to bottleneck our ability to grow quickly. Teams are struggling to work cohesively with other teams when their priorities and objectives don't necessarily match up.

Advice to Management

I've been really impressed with management, in particular my manager who cares deeply about my development and the challenges I'm facing. The CEO and leadership are very approachable and nothing is off the table for all team discussions.

TransferWise2017-09-21

"Hard but good work"

I have been working at TransferWise full-time

Pros

High level of freedom and the ability to define and deliver your own destiny. Great, smart people. Open and honest culture. The opportunity to work on problems which have never been solved before.

Cons

Autonomous teams can sometimes mean lack of direction or inefficient scenarios. Can be overwhelming at times in terms of pressure and working hours. Missing a lot of common/basic benefits like pensions, health/dental care, sick pay, gym membership, death in service etc. I'm young but these are important and as the company now employees 500+ people these should really be provided.

Advice to Management

Company needs to sort out recruitment. Little direction or support even for strategically critical positions.

TransferWise2015-11-17

"great culture, meaningful work"

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture is what makes TransferWise. Great people who truly believe in the mission and a team that's enabled to execute with very few barriers (what we call autonomous teams). The business's ambition + the ability to impact give a strong sense of empowerment and the engagement levels are unmatched. Your career at TransferWise is truly what you make of it, the culture and structure within the business enable this...

Cons

It can be overwhelming and chaotic at times, but what do you expect from a (very) fast growing business? There's a lack of process in some areas and your impact can be determined by your ability to understand how things get done within this environment. However this also gives a lot of flexibility/autonomy once you've figured this out.

Advice to Management

As the business scales internationally we'll need to foster the same sense of engagement and communication across offices as we have within our local offices. Not an easy thing to do but key to executing in the right way with high standards and moving at pace.

TransferWise2015-10-07

"Lots of ownership, moves fast"

I have been working at TransferWise full-time

Pros

Flat organization, autonomous teams means everyone has tons of ownership. A lot of interesting projects to work on, only constrained by how quickly we can hire. People are direct and honest when giving feedback.

Cons

Starting to "grow up" and add more layers. Compensation is below average/market.

TransferWise2015-10-07

"Product Manager"

Current Employee - Product Manager in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time

Pros

Great environment, a lot of challenges and responsibilities. It's very rewarding to have the possibility to work with your team to define your own vision, your roadmap, your goals and your KPI.

Cons

Working in vertical autonomous teams might not be the typical setup a PM is used to.

TransferWise2015-04-29
  10. "Amazing company culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallinn
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Amazing people working for the mission, cool events, autonomous teams so you can make your own decisions, very chill and casual working environment.

Cons

There are some people who seem to think that they are better than others, because of their role or office location.

TransferWise2019-04-21