TransferWise "autonomous teams" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

TransferWise Employee Reviews about "autonomous teams"

Updated 13 Jan 2020

4.6
TransferWise CEO Kristo Käärman
Kristo Käärman
Pros
  • "Fast paced work environment teaches skills that may otherwise take much longer(in 43 reviews)

• "Great people that you get to work with(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "The "autonomous teams" has its downfalls too - mainly the communication between teams during different projects(in 23 reviews)

• "Cross-team efforts are not so easy to coordinate as all teams are autonomous(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "autonomous teams"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Fantastic company to work for!"

Current Employee - Reward Specialist in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

Autonomous teams; means you can get stuff done, quick! Quarterly planning ; so you know what is happening and kept up to speed Fantastic benefits - work from home, flexible working, events, lunch, travel! Growise every 6 months to make sure your career is moving in the direction you wish. Intelligent, warm and friendly people to work with

Cons

I've been here for 6 months and have enjoyed everything about working here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

TransferWise2020-01-13

"Great benefits and autonomous Teams"

Current Employee - Full Stack Software Developer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

Visionary and inspirational CEO. Lots of flexibility and trust. Great community and awesome perks. Surrounded by smart and talented people.

Cons

Salary is below market rate but the benefits and stock options make it a good option Autonomous teams can leave me feeling like there's a lack of structure and support

Advice to Management

OKRs

TransferWise2019-09-25

"Definitely not a startup, good product , average engineering - suitable for less senior people"

Current Employee - Senior Product Engineer in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Good location and offices - Relaxed environment (sometimes too relaxed) - Breakfast and other in office perks + weekly lunch. - Not so much pressure or reasonable pressure. (this leads though to a big percent of people to actually slack) - Strong product, the basic idea (the founding idea) is still driving the company that's why is a one of the dominant players on the sector of money transfer. - The company is making money, despite the previous rounds of funding is showing profits and this is making its strategic position even stronger.

Cons

- Not a startup, it feels like a mini bank in terms of prospects of work for any engineer. - The idea of autonomous teams is close to a joke, practically very few people internally believe in this, actually now is a problem. The amount spent to coordinate or create something is increasing - so the company feels like a slow moving traditional fin org. - No strong management for the engineering teams - the flat structure of Leads and Engineers is not working any more. - Territorial teams (not all of them but most of them), many of the early engineers of the company which in market standards would really find it difficult to find a job on the market - create a very defensive culture. - A large percent of the engineers are being credited titles that do not correspond to their actual skills. Senior engineers with real experience of what it could be best as Mid. - Extremely political, need to watch and avoid conflict with older and more senior engineers / leads. The engineering know how sometimes is based on hear say or people posting on slack random articles to prove their point (sign of inexperience) - Due to this chaotic sometimes way of working it is very common that some of the teams actually work more than others, but they are not been credited for it, again there is no good management.

Advice to Management

- strong engineering leadership (top to bottom) is needed - stop pretending and work with the startup mentality - its a 1500+ strong org now

TransferWise2019-09-19

"Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Global Events Project Manager in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Colleagues are absolutely wonderful. There are so many smart and creative people together. I am inspired by them and what they do every day. If you are open to learning there are so many things to learn. You just need to see where you can help and do it. I enjoy choosing my own new challenges and working in an open and honest environment. I love it that even though I have been here for 5 years the company still feels like a startup to work in. We are just a bit better structured in many ways. The feeling is still there.

Cons

While I enjoy autonomous teams and working this way, it is not for everyone. I would suggest thinking about this when applying for a job and trying to find out if this environment is one where you can thrive. There is a lot of information to learn and it may not be as straightforward as a new joiner may expect. We are definitely getting better at it and have made massive steps forward.

TransferWise2019-03-18

"Great company with great culture"

Current Employee - Product Manager in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Amazing working environment. TransferWise has by far the best corporate culture you'll ever find. * Great mission and great attention to customer. * Just such a great working environment. Super nice people everywhere * Business is going great and sky rocketing

Cons

* Company going through some growing pains * Autonomous teams do more harm than good * TONS of engineering dept. Actually makes the company very, very slow at moving. Lots of outages all the time.

Advice to Management

Fix your engineering team.

TransferWise2018-09-21

"Excellent product and culture, needs to work salaries and guidance"

I have been working at TransferWise full-time

Pros

Excellent product, solving a real problem. Tight focus on delivering positive customer impact, with autonomous teams able to work out what their goals and projects will be. The work/life balance is good, with flexibility to work how you need to.

Cons

Autonomous teams have led to a fragmented product experience as new offerings have been added. Management feel uncomfortable about stepping in to forcibly course-correct teams, worrying it will affect the perception of the culture. Salaries and benefits are 20% lower than market (especially for engineers).

Advice to Management

Salaries need to be aligned to actual market conditions. Stock options are far less, as the potential multiplier on value over next 4-5 years is far less than it was even two or three years ago.

TransferWise2018-04-23

"Marketing Manager"

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Exciting mission, hard to get from the outside but there are people really committed to make money transfer across countries as easy as possible, instantly and eventually free - Work with talented people to solve hard problems. It's fairly hard to keep up with certain levels of growth but if you are up for challenges it's the right place. - Progression is not about job titles but impact you have on customers.

Cons

- Autonomous teams can be messy but very good fun if is what you looking for. It's not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparent culture and feedback without any filters to solve blocker faster as the company scales.

TransferWise2018-02-21

"Challenging, rewarding, exciting, open and creative in equal measure."

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

TransferWise lives and dies by it's mission to save people from unfair financial practice by their banks, particularly as it relates to transferring money abroad. The mission is such a key underlying consideration into every decision that gets made from top to bottom. I'm typically a skeptical person in this area, but have been so impressed with how this mission and our values drive us forward. There's a tremendous amount of opportunity to explore things that you're interested in. Teams operate somewhat autonomously from the rest of the company, and decide on the initiatives that are most likely to move their KPIs forward. This means you can decide your own plans, act and deliver on things that you're passionate about. TransferWise operates out of offices in nine different countries, and genuinely encourage employees to travel when it makes sense for your role. You'll have a great chance to see the world with TransferWise, and play an important role on shaping it through the work you do.

Cons

The idea of autonomous teams is struggling to scale as we do. What was a great idea when we were smaller, is causing information and knowledge silos that are starting to bottleneck our ability to grow quickly. Teams are struggling to work cohesively with other teams when their priorities and objectives don't necessarily match up.

Advice to Management

I've been really impressed with management, in particular my manager who cares deeply about my development and the challenges I'm facing. The CEO and leadership are very approachable and nothing is off the table for all team discussions.

TransferWise2017-09-21

"Hard but good work"

I have been working at TransferWise full-time

Pros

High level of freedom and the ability to define and deliver your own destiny. Great, smart people. Open and honest culture. The opportunity to work on problems which have never been solved before.

Cons

Autonomous teams can sometimes mean lack of direction or inefficient scenarios. Can be overwhelming at times in terms of pressure and working hours. Missing a lot of common/basic benefits like pensions, health/dental care, sick pay, gym membership, death in service etc. I'm young but these are important and as the company now employees 500+ people these should really be provided.

Advice to Management

Company needs to sort out recruitment. Little direction or support even for strategically critical positions.

TransferWise2015-11-17

"great culture, meaningful work"

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture is what makes TransferWise. Great people who truly believe in the mission and a team that's enabled to execute with very few barriers (what we call autonomous teams). The business's ambition + the ability to impact give a strong sense of empowerment and the engagement levels are unmatched. Your career at TransferWise is truly what you make of it, the culture and structure within the business enable this to an extent that I have not seen elsewhere.

Cons

It can be overwhelming and chaotic at times, but what do you expect from a (very) fast growing business? There's a lack of process in some areas and your impact can be determined by your ability to understand how things get done within this environment. However this also gives a lot of flexibility/autonomy once you've figured this out.

Advice to Management

As the business scales internationally we'll need to foster the same sense of engagement and communication across offices as we have within our local offices. Not an easy thing to do but key to executing in the right way with high standards and moving at pace.

TransferWise2015-10-07