TransferWise Employee Reviews about "company is growing"

Updated 22 Sep 2020

4.4
TransferWise CEO Kristo Käärman
Kristo Käärman
Pros
  • "TransferWise provides staff with a very conducive work environment where team work excels(in 52 reviews)

• "Great people that you get to work with(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "Autonomous teams means that often you need to "lobby" with other teams to get things done(in 35 reviews)

• "Cross-team efforts are not so easy to coordinate as all teams are autonomous(in 10 reviews)

Reviews about "company is growing"

Return to all Reviews
  1. Featured Review

"First time I've been truly happy in a job and woke up everyday happy to be going to work!"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

-You're treated like an adult & trusted to do your job without being micromanaged -Work/life balance is the best I've had and that's down to the flexibility -Your opinions and ideas matter and they're listened to -Encouraged to get involved in things that really interest you or speak up if you believe something can be done better -You're given the opportunities to grow and take on new challenges -No two days are ever the same, you're always faced with new challenges and things to get stuck into -Brilliant offices with everything you could need (and more!) -Possibility of travelling to our other offices -SummerDays yearly all-company event -Everyone is so friendly -None of that 'I'm-a-newbie' awkwardness, you become part of the team instantly

Cons

-The autonomous environment can be frustrating at times -With so many people in the business, it's impossible to know everybody (or even half!) -As we're growing so quickly things change quickly meaning something that's a priority today might not be tomorrow -If you don't like constant change or enjoy being kept on your toes, this is not the place for you!

2. "Clear mission embraced by all"

Current Employee - Senior Platform Engineer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

Staff are clearly valued and empowered to contribute as best they can. Flat hierarchy. Flexible working. Stock options are worth something for once.

Cons

Large team ( approx 2000 )

Continue reading

3. "A nice place to feel appreciated"

Current Employee - Audio Visual Specialist in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Highly autonomous - Fast-paced - You are respected and given the opportunities to work on essentially whatever you want, once it aligns with the overall mission - People want to be there and to work, it's quite evident that people care deeply about what TransferWise is trying to accomplish

Cons

- Like any workplace, there are a small percentage of people who really go out of their way to be difficult by placing their needs above everyone else and above TransferWise - The archical order of teams, departments, sub-teams, tribes etc. is dangerously confusing. It's really hard to tell what team/tribe/department people belong to at times, not to mention the speed at which the company is growing, so sometimes, you can feel really isolated and not quite know where you fit into things. - There is also not much clarification on career progression, for my position anyhow. It seems the only way I can progress is if (1) My team lead either leaves or is promoted, (2) I change teams or (3) we hire more people and require more team leads and I can apply. This uncertainty is not conducive to mental stability and can increase the risk of leaving for other opportunities.

4. "Smart, nice people with an honest focus on making things better for the customers"

Current Employee - Tech Lead in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time

Pros

My team are great - fun to work with and super smart. You get lots of autonomy and trust. I was worried the culture would be a little "WeWork"-y, but it's not. I honestly believe most people there are trying to make things better for our customers. Pretty open culture of feedback - people feel like they can challenge product decisions at any level.

Cons

I'm always super busy, so have to be careful not to get overwhelmed. There was no handholding or induction process when I started (other than the company onboarding). I really liked this, but I could imagine for people who need more structure it would be a challenge.

5. "Awesome company"

Current Employee - Analyst in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employees are empowered to work independently and to be creative in their problem solving. There's no such thing as 'we've always done it like this'. Ideas get challenged continuously, meaning that innovation happens constantly. Credit is given where it is due, as well as helpful and constructive feedback where needed.

Cons

Due to the very autonomous / decentralized way of work, sometimes teams work on overlapping projects without knowing it. This is not necessarily negative, but it can be frustrating sometimes.

Continue reading

"Full of people pretending to be nice"

1.0
    Current Employee - Software Developer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

- TransferWise employees get to travel a lot. - Free lunch on Friday

Cons

- Full of people who are nice to your face but care about the company more than you. - Their technical stack is very old. With the goal of every piece of work that is done to make some money it’s left their products in a terrible position as there is no attempt to pay off technical debt. The load speed of some their web pages on mobile are what you’d expect to see from someone who has just started web development and has no idea what they’re doing. - Lots of the sites logic is stuck in templates - The tech leads are completely evangelical about outdated principles from books way out of date.

TransferWise Response

People Team Lead

Hi, thanks for taking the time to share your current experience at TransferWise, I’m sorry to hear some of the concerns you are sharing, it sounds like you’ve been facing some real challenges. If you feel comfortable to make yourself known, I can find some time to sit down and talk about the issues you raised face to face and Harsh has said he’s also happy to connect with you and discuss your concerns. Whether it’s with me, your lead or, someone else you trust in the People team to talk things through confidentially, we'd really like to hear more and see what we can do to improve things for you. Feel free to slack me, Jihan

7. "Opportunities for the right people"

Current Employee - Finance

I have been working at TransferWise full-time

Pros

This is a really good workplace, plenty of opportunities and challenges to keep people interested and engaged.

Cons

Not suitable for anyone looking to coast, but also not suitable for anyone looking out for themselves and not their teammates or the mission.

Continue reading
  8. "Awesome Place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flat Structure, Making an actual change, Awesome Team

Cons

Can't think of any at the moment.

"Many opportunities, but chaotic. Tension between Tallinn and London."

Former Employee - Head of Office

I worked at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunities, fast paced, flat structure

Cons

Chaotic, some elements of toxic culture

10. "Great culture!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

I absolutely love it here. People are generally helpful, the culture is great, there's a lot of transparency and trust and opportunities to grow even beyond your area of core competence. 💯 Would recommend!

Cons

Not a major one, but I think pay could be better. But then transparency and consistency with pay ranges has it pros. Unlike where I worked before, you'd rarely find people talking about being unfairly paid compared to some other person on the same level. That removes a lot of bad blood

Found 483 reviews