TransferWise "growing too fast" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 17 Feb 2020

4.5
TransferWise CEO Kristo Käärman
Kristo Käärman
  1. "A great company to work for"

Current Employee - Analyst in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great culture and working environment, incredibly smart people to work with and learn from. Support to develop and grow, numerous opportunities to take initiative. Very strong mission that is more just buzzwords.

Cons

Due to how fast the company is growing, there are issues with lack of available free (permanent) desks and meeting rooms. Cross-team efforts are not so easy to coordinate as all teams are autonomous.

TransferWise2019-04-02

"Over-hyped"

I worked at TransferWise full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They are riding high on past success. They've been lucky that competitors have had a few problems...

Cons

Most leads are leads based on length of time in company rather than any leadership ability. Inconsistency of ability across teams - people are kept/ promoted if they agree with the leadership team. Some of the leadership team are really incompetent so they prefer people around them who are just as incompetent... Micro-management by leadership (esp CEO) or in worst cases complete by-passing of teams ....while still claiming to be an autonomous culture. No longer the boys club it used to be... but the female employees are pretty cutthroat while claiming to be supportive.

TransferWise2019-03-14
  3. "Great company culture"

Former Employee - PR Intern in London, England

I worked at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

Plenty of very interesting projects to work on! There are a lot of opportunities to socialise with the rest of the team, including the founders. A lot of perks such as free lunch, business travel opportunities, training among others.

Cons

I can't think of any, I had a great experience!

TransferWise2019-02-15

"Work however you like & work on whatever you like"

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

I think our culture is pretty unique in the sense that I can choose to work from home whenever I want and naturally we have problems but from what I’ve seen people air those problems out and we are pretty good at addressing them head on. I also like that I can push whatever projects I want & generally people don’t even question me on it - not that questions are a bad thing. Fairly generous travel policy to compensate for issues with having a highly distributed team. It’ll feel very cult like initially but trust me it gets better after a couple of years of being here.

Cons

Base salaries are below market for engineers - but I’ve heard the People team are looking to address this. Career development is a black box - again I heard that the People team are looking to address this aswell.

TransferWise2019-02-02
  5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company Culture - fun at work. Mission driven company The sense that TransferWise is revolutionising a big, broken industry. Ability to travel.

Cons

The lack of structure isn't for everyone. Takes some getting used to.

TransferWise2019-02-06
  6. "Analyst"

I have been working at TransferWise full-time

Pros

Great culture, people and benefits

Cons

- - - - -

TransferWise2019-02-06

"Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Horizontal Hierarchy * Innovative * Top 10 Startup in London

Cons

* A bit territorial * No remote flexibility at all

TransferWise2019-02-14

"Amazing company with lots of potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at TransferWise full-time for less than a year

Pros

The reason I joined was that the mission resonated. I was fed up with banks charging me high fees and the transaction taking up to 5 days. We really are focused on this mission and we have great values that underpin this. I love the autonomy teams have and the forward thinking 'problem solving' mindset. There are lots of great perks... An all company paid trip, healthcare, local discounts, gym, yoga, and lunches to name a few. But, the flexibility and immediate trust is what i like the most.

Cons

I can't think of any at this stage.

TransferWise2019-01-09

"Nice work environment but issues with scaling it"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I worked at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities to grow and learn, especially if you are rather early in your career, as you are not really stuck in a role and specific tasks but can easily spend some time on anything which is useful for the company. Teams are mostly small, cross functional (except for some aspect like infra) and independent in how they operate. On top of teams being independent people are rather free about where/when/how they work as long as it is not abused too much and they deliver (remote working, working from home). If you spend more time than average working in a productive way it will be acknowledged and rewarded.

Cons

Weak leadership of the company and management overall. Leads have mostly ended up there based on time in the company rather than leading skills. Lack of coordination and alignment between the independent teams which reinforce a work in silos and creates confusion around the big picture. It is time to acknowledge that TransferWise is not a startup anymore even if it has managed to keep a lot of nice stuff from that and put in place efficient structures and processes for the scale it operates at nowadays. Some can abuse the independence and freedom mentioned in the bad points with very little control on it which can be frustrating for people playing fair game. The leadership team of the company tends to micromanage or even bypass teams when things are not going in the direction they have in mind, while the root causes of lack of inspiration and alignment from them to the rest of the company doesn't seem to be much addressed.

TransferWise2018-11-24

"Awesome Environment, People. Product"

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in London, England

I worked at TransferWise full-time for more than a year

Pros

All very, very, very good! Great environment, colleagues, product!

Cons

Nothing I can think of. It really is a super company. Would recommend to all.

TransferWise2018-10-17

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 375 reviews