Travelodge Hotels (UK) Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 17 Jan 2020

3.8
Travelodge Hotels (UK) CEO Peter Gowers
Peter Gowers
Pros
  • "flexible hours with easy going management, having the ability to enrol on the in house management program(in 38 reviews)

• "MANAGEMENT DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM FOR TEAM MEMBERS INTERESTED IN MANAGEMENT(in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • "This job is minimum wage (however everyone is paid the same wage)(in 46 reviews)

• "Next to no security for reception team(in 36 reviews)

1. "Great"

Current Employee - Team Member Bar/Cafe in Leeds, England

I have been working at Travelodge Hotels (UK) part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible, fun, rewarding and good pay

Cons

Often stressful and can involve long hours

Travelodge Hotels (UK)2019-12-01
  2. "Working for travelodge in London"

Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Waterlooville, England

I have been working at Travelodge Hotels (UK) part-time for less than a year

Pros

Shift work, opportunities to progress double and triple pay on bank holidays and Christmas

Cons

Minimum wage, no unsotiable hours increase for night work

Travelodge Hotels (UK)2020-01-14
  3. "Only been with travelodge a few months but I really love the team, they are like a extended family."

Current Employee - Housekeeping Cleaner in Stansted, England

I have been working at Travelodge Hotels (UK) part-time for less than a year

Pros

As a Mother with younger children and teenage children, the company are extremely flexible. I am able to drop my children off to school and be there to greet them at the end of their school day. Make all I need to with any special school events with given notice, The management are so very accommodating to all of that, and if there are any changes? They will do their very best to make sure you dont miss out on those important moments with your family. I get to work one weekend on and one off which is good going, two weekends a month spending much needed family time.

Cons

The only thing that I find difficult is that it is in a rota system, although the company/management are extremely accommodating to changes, you can't pre plan much, as you are waiting on what days you are on next, with given a three week rota in advance, but changes can be made with only giving 24 hours notice. It would be nice to be knowing on set days of working, giving parents a routine rota. Your hours are estimated, and generally the same finish time each week because of the times you need to leave for your children, but weekends tend to be later in finishing, with a later start which is difficult as weekends, because the need for family time when both parents work through the week, so at weekends would be nice to have the same times as weekdays working times. Give you that earlier finish. And you have time to do things with your family, and home.

Advice to Management

All in the pros and cons.

Travelodge Hotels (UK)2020-01-03
  4. "Ok"

Current Employee - Housekeeping in Hickstead, England

I have been working at Travelodge Hotels (UK) full-time for less than a year

Pros

Learn a lot nice environment

Cons

Hours aren’t great And hard to travel if u don’t drive

Advice to Management

??

Travelodge Hotels (UK)2020-01-17
  5. "Good Culture"

Current Employee - New Business Manager in Thame, England

I have been working at Travelodge Hotels (UK) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good culture, standard industry benefits of 50% discount for any room, good focus on development and doing better and better each year.

Cons

Budget hotel chain means strictly capped bonuses

Advice to Management

None

Travelodge Hotels (UK)2019-12-30
  6. "Standard entry level job"

Former Employee - Receptionist/Housekeeper in London, England

I worked at Travelodge Hotels (UK) full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary paid always on time.

Cons

Hard work for minimum pay.

Travelodge Hotels (UK)2020-01-05
  7. "Team Member/Receptionist"

Former Employee - Receptionist in London, England

I worked at Travelodge Hotels (UK) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good team members, employee discount for food and stays.

Cons

Managers who cannot delegate tasks reasonably, gossip about their own team members and do not train new staff enough. The company also does not hire cleaners or extra staff for night shifts, so if there are any problems it is usually down to two team members to handle the whole hotel during the night, which includes cleaning the bar/cafe and kitchen while checking in guests. Very stressful working environment where staff are not supported by management, and instead staff were yelled at. Supervisors do not actually supervise, and instead guests have witnessed them hitting the printers in the reception and throwing things when they get angry. Better training and recruitment is needed for everyone. Senior managers promoted staff that they were friends with rather than competent people.

Advice to Management

Train new staff rather than gossip about how incompetent they are, and support staff when the hotel is busy rather than order in food to eat in the office and then run away on cigarette breaks. The mental health of several employees has also been ignored, as guests have also witnessed loud unnecessary yelling when a supervisor took her frustration out on a young team member, making her cry.

Travelodge Hotels (UK)2020-01-04
  8. "Hit and miss"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Eastleigh, England

I have been working at Travelodge Hotels (UK) full-time for less than a year

Pros

Near home for me, nice colleagues to work with.

Cons

Rota is all over the place, difficult to make plans for anything. Management is disappointing. Wages are really low.

Advice to Management

Remember how difficult your job would be without staff!

Travelodge Hotels (UK)2020-01-03
  9. "Low wages, high responsibility"

Current Employee - Receptionist in Bristol, England

I have been working at Travelodge Hotels (UK) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Get 50% off rooms and food. £50 evoucher for anniversary

Cons

The pay is low for what you have to do. Your job title is “Team Member Reception” but you are expected to help clean rooms, cook food and be a security guard as well as do your own job. You do the job of 2-3 people for minimum wage. You’re inevitably going to make mistakes or leave guests unhappy and if you do and they put it on the post-stay survey then expect a telling off from management as the survey effects their bonus. The company doesn’t really care about the staff. Staff turnover is very high and then management can’t be bothered to replace the people who leave. Management are far from professional. They can be very intimidating, demanding, manipulative and unreasonable. I have filed a grievance previously on advice from my Union Representative. I made the assumption that my concerns would be dealt with in a professional manner but they weren’t. The manager that was part of the reason for my grievance knew the result before myself and then intimidated me for reporting the issues in the first instance. When reporting the grievance I called HR to ask what the policy was and how I should go about reporting this they told me that I should email them and they’d pass it to the relevant person. However, my manager accused me of not following procedure even though I had done what I was advised by HR. You are sometimes expected to change your plans with a few days notice. So much for having a work life balance. The law says you’re eligible for a break if you work over 6 hours (Not that you can take it if you’re lone working) and a break of 11 hours between shifts. But that seems to go out of the window with Travelodge! Staff at head office are very out of touch with us the people who actually need to deal with the customers. They find ways to cut costs and change procedures to “help us” but it just makes our job harder.

Advice to Management

Look after staff, treat them how you’d like to be treated. Increase staffing levels so we aren’t trying to do the job of 2 people and aren’t rushed off our feet for NLW. Remember, if we weren’t there then you’d have to do everything

Travelodge Hotels (UK)2020-01-17
  10. "Good job until you proof your good and get more responsibility"

Former Employee - Team Member in North Yorkshire, England

I worked at Travelodge Hotels (UK) part-time for more than a year

Pros

50% discount on hotels Good team bond Good internal career opportunities

Cons

Long hours, no breaks - up to 13/16 hours with no breaks, time to drink or eat - No consideration for the health and wellbeing of staff Extremely bad and insufficient management. Management able to take holidays when they want, even if they are unstaffed leaving the business to fail. 1 member of staff doing 3 peoples jobs, saving on hours and money for the business. Insufficient training, left to fend for themselves. Never enough resources to be able to do the job. Management don't mind leaving staff in unsafe conditions, for example, lone female on a nightshift in a city centre location. No discipline or support from management side.

Travelodge Hotels (UK)2020-01-14